CV to hardware

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Jackjackdaw

08 May 2019

Can reason send cv out to hardware with a dc coupled interface? Just saw there is a new max for live thing that can do that.

ScuzzyEye

08 May 2019

Yes, Reason has always been able to do this from version 1. Thor makes the CV to Audio conversion easy. Expert Sleepers (makers of physical CV hardware) also have an RE to make it even easier (allowing for quick calibration of levels): https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... ontroller/

Jackjackdaw

08 May 2019

That's awesome. Props should make more of a big deal about it.

DJMaytag

12 May 2019

Jackjackdaw wrote:
08 May 2019
Indeed. I wish they'd push Expert Sleepers to further develop the Silent Way platform in RE format.

Silent Way VST's do work as a way to shuttle CV in and out, but it's a PITA with LOTS of wiring involved. I have a maxed out Expert Sleepers rig and have it all working in Reason, an ES-3 with ES-5 and a full complement of output expanders (ESX-8MD midi module, 3x ESX-8GT, and 2x ESX-8CV).

Faastwalker

15 May 2019

Jackjackdaw wrote:
08 May 2019
The big stumbling block is the requirement for a DC coupled audio interface or one of the Expert Sleepers module solutions ..... if you have Eurorack. You can also use a MIDI to CV converter to get stuff out. I have a modular synth with a built in MIDI to CV section. It has Pitch-out, Gate-out, Clock-out & Mod-out. Works great controlling from Reason but you can't do all the fancy tuning stuff that the expert sleepers stuff allows. Cool controlling parameters with a CV source in Reason via the Mod-out. I just want more of them now. Considering a Hexinverter Mutant Brain as a way to expand output. Also been looking at the Expert-Sleepers eurorack options, but this will be a lot more expensive than the Mutant Brain. But there are plenty of options out there now for getting CV out (and into) Reason & other software.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

20 May 2019

The Presonus interfaces have good price and they put out a high DC voltage, enough for CV use. You need both DC coupled, but also high voltage. If the voltage is too low you would need to use some kind HW voltage multiplier, but I am unsure how well that works in V/oct situations when precision is required.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Re8et
Competition Winner

22 May 2019

Boombastix wrote:
20 May 2019
The Presonus interfaces have good price and they put out a high DC voltage, enough for CV use. You need both DC coupled, but also high voltage. If the voltage is too low you would need to use some kind HW voltage multiplier, but I am unsure how well that works in V/oct situations when precision is required.
Ultralite is precise enough to get a TRS timing clock I would say ;)
not sure on last version tho or Presonus.
in think it's in 5v range also, better check than sorry!

O1B

22 May 2019

1010music Black Box.
Starts at 14:55. Hardware to CV.. and Back!

- and, please, don't forget that Roland's AIRA Eurorack gives 8 channels of CV IN and OUT.
I now have the Bitrazer and Torcido. They sound Great! Together!

Deep Distortion - High or Low Tone/Tilt adjustment - Bit reduction - Sample Reduction - H or L Pass Filter w/Resonance.. may need two Razers.

I sold the other two for a more Analog Delay (Demora), - and more Glitch Control/Longer Loop Time (Scooper).... for anyone i mentioned them to.
Last edited by O1B on 25 May 2019, edited 1 time in total.

Faastwalker

22 May 2019

O1B wrote:
22 May 2019
- and, please, don't forget that Roland's AIRA Eurorack gives 8 channels of CV IN and OUT.
How do you set this up? Is it done via the customizer? These things look pretty deep beyond the standard, front panel operation. There's a lot you can do under the hood. Interesting. Especially the CV i/o part. Never heard about this before other than from yourself!

Faastwalker

22 May 2019

Faastwalker wrote:
22 May 2019
O1B wrote:
22 May 2019
How do you set this up? Is it done via the customizer? These things look pretty deep beyond the standard, front panel operation. There's a lot you can do under the hood. Interesting. Especially the CV i/o part. Never heard about this before other than from yourself! I don't think these are made anymore are they? They don't appear on the AIRA product pages.

O1B

22 May 2019

Night, my man!
I just got Bitrazer (Yesterday) and Wow! So, I haven't OS'd yet. (The Torcido was only weeks ago.))
But, I did with my Demora.
I'll do it again this weekend and say "specifically"
The only issue was the Direction. In or out (CV). One direction 'seemed' complicated. I think it was "OUT"
I CV'd my FOH Choices Joystick into reason and it was beautiful to watch/record - if memory serves.

What I realized when doing it, that CV IITB is better ITB and outboard CV is better used outboard. I may be wrong.
It just felt that way - for my workflow.

Couple days,
O1B
Faastwalker wrote:
22 May 2019

How do you set this up? Is it done via the customizer? These things look pretty deep beyond the standard, front panel operation. There's a lot you can do under the hood. Interesting. Especially the CV i/o part. Never heard about this before other than from yourself!

Boombastix
Competition Winner

25 May 2019

Re8et wrote:
22 May 2019
Boombastix wrote:
20 May 2019
Ultralite is precise enough to get a TRS timing clock I would say ;)
not sure on last version tho or Presonus.
in think it's in 5v range also, better check than sorry!
IIRC the Presonus are in the 10V range. You need that for pitch and filter tracking over several octaves. And it has to be high precision.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

• Information