New Morpher CV Utility RE

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.

EpiGenetik

20 May 2019

I love that the NI Kore 2 design has been revived :) It was always such a terrible shame that it was nerf'd, and although the VST version still lives, it's only a matter of time until it goes the way of the Dodo. This is much better for Reason users of course, though, and the full suite of Komplete stuff is available in R10, so what's not to like? :mrgreen:

Does this come with a small army of presets? If not, then perhaps a patch-making competition is a wise move?

zoidkirb

20 May 2019

Very cool video they made this time (unlike their last two players :p )

Looks like something I could use in conjunction with the new ARCUS Knobs utility.

kraftf

20 May 2019

I was just testing NOTEMIX and this thing appeared!
They solved the problem with the snapshot pad. Now the snapshot pad can be remote controlled!!
Very nice!!

Emian

20 May 2019

Volt-SL by Zvork does all this, and more, for the same price (at leat during May Madness ;) ...

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

Faastwalker

20 May 2019

Emian wrote:
20 May 2019
Volt-SL by Zvork does all this, and more, for the same price (at least during May Madness ;) ...
True. SL-1 is a fantastic RE. I have it in my default Reason template with all the knobs mapped to a MIDI controller. The real bummer is when you change to another set the MIDI mappings don't carry across! They work on a per-set basis, which is bollox! It was explained to me previously why this was the case but I don't remember the reasoning.

Anyway, This looks like a cool little RE. The control panel is straight out of Camel Audio's (sadly no more) Alchemy plug-in & iOS App. Useful, but not worth it if you already have SL-1.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 May 2019

Hmmm...just compared Morpher with SL-1 and, for as little as I know about such things, I'm feeling that SL-1 is the better option for the type of thing these two REs do. Is that the general opinion here?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

joeyluck

21 May 2019

MrFigg wrote:
21 May 2019
Hmmm...just compared Morpher with SL-1 and, for as little as I know about such things, I'm feeling that SL-1 is the better option for the type of thing these two REs do. Is that the general opinion here?
SL-1 is buttons with fade curves, right? And Morpher allows the user to freely drag around and automate an XY pad.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

21 May 2019

Nifty device. Can be useful when the mod matrix in a synth is full, or a parameter is only accessible from the combinator. Or when you have a preset that already has a nice mod wheel modulation setup but you need a little mo', so you use Morpher to control the mod wheel and another couple of parameters. Or layering of two synths and you morph filters, env, and volumes of both. Or you sequence scenes like in the waves FM synth. Or, or.... Yeah, I can get some use here.

From the videos, my observations: Morpher is suited for morphing synth parameters in real time and record it to the sequencer, alt use a Matrix to move between the 8 "scenes".
SL-1 is more for mixing/crossfading audio streams, like live loop chopping or mixing tracks like a DJ. I didn't see the user controllable continuous morphing happening.
Am I missing something?

Is it a SDK limitation that the knobs don't update when Morpher is given CV inputs to morph the sounds. It looks like that in the video that it morphs but the knobs don't move?

Morpher is partially what we have talked about for a Combinator 2.0, so is it like a "Combinator 1.5"? Is PH getting off the hook again, lol?
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Faastwalker

21 May 2019

joeyluck wrote:
21 May 2019
MrFigg wrote:
21 May 2019
SL-1 is buttons with fade curves, right? And Morpher allows the user to freely drag around and automate an XY pad.
That's an oversimplification of SL-1. But the Morpher's XY pad does appeal, if only because of how much fun Alchemy was to play around with. It's straight out of Alchemy, accept you determine what it is controlling. I don't think you could use Alchemy's controller /snapshot section to control other devices. But it was a lot of fun to use all the same.

diminished
Competition Winner

21 May 2019

This looks also like a comfortable way to set several different synths to new parameters when you're going into a new section of the song, right? Or would SL-1 be better for that..?
Question: How do you remote control the X- and Y-movement of the morphing pad with knobs on your MIDI keyboard?
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 May 2019

joeyluck wrote:
21 May 2019
MrFigg wrote:
21 May 2019
Ok. I maybe misunderstood but if you set a smooth transition from button to button on SL-1 and then use automation to switch between them instead of dragging the cursor round in Morpher do you not get the same result. I’m genuinely asking as I’ve no idea. Thanks.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

geronimo

21 May 2019

With this Morpher, a Patch Browser is in support for less programmers or those in a hurry, . :puf_smile:

dioxide

21 May 2019

This is slightly different to SL-1. SL-1 can morph between sets of parameters, but it is a triggered morph, where you choose the timing. There is no way you could pause mid-morph. This devices allows you to manually morph between sets. With this you could place the marker in the middle of four snapshots. This isn't possible with SL-1.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 May 2019

dioxide wrote:
21 May 2019
This is slightly different to SL-1. SL-1 can morph between sets of parameters, but it is a triggered morph, where you choose the timing. There is no way you could pause mid-morph. This devices allows you to manually morph between sets. With this you could place the marker in the middle of four snapshots. This isn't possible with SL-1.
Aaaaaaah. Gotcha. Thanks.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 May 2019

dioxide wrote:
21 May 2019
With this you could place the marker in the middle of four snapshots. This isn't possible with SL-1.
Actually...would doing that switch the controller knobs to some sort of average value of the parameters assigned to the 4 snapshots?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Boombastix
Competition Winner

21 May 2019

Mataya wrote:
21 May 2019
This also does the job right?

https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... ectorizer/
No it's different, it is a 4-way X-Y pad, so 4 values based on the X-Y position, and they depend on each other, but no scenes (or you could call it one scene). Morpher has 8 scenes each with 8 values, and no dependence, you can set each of the 8 CV values freely for each scene.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

dioxide

21 May 2019

Mataya wrote:
21 May 2019

Up to a point. It's designed for other purposes really.

dioxide

21 May 2019

MrFigg wrote:
21 May 2019
dioxide wrote:
21 May 2019
With this you could place the marker in the middle of four snapshots. This isn't possible with SL-1.
Actually...would doing that switch the controller knobs to some sort of average value of the parameters assigned to the 4 snapshots?
I think so. I haven't actually demoed this as I don't need it right now. It just got my attention because it is new and looks like it will be useful for a lot of people.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 May 2019

dioxide wrote:
21 May 2019
MrFigg wrote:
21 May 2019

I think so. I haven't actually demoed this as I don't need it right now. It just got my attention because it is new and looks like it will be useful for a lot of people.
Thanks. I’ll demo it as I’m pretty hopeless when it comes to assigning stuff in combinators and this looks like a quick way of automating instead of having a whole load of lanes. I’ve got all Retouch Control’s other REs so why not :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 May 2019

Here’s another thought I just had. Say you’ve got knob 1 on Snapshot 1set to 9 o’clock, knob 1 in snapshot 2 set to 4 o’clock and knob 1 in snapshot 3 set to 12 o’clock (you still with me?).
You want the knob 1 parameter to go from 3 to 12 o'clock. But for that to happen the knob has to go to 4 o’clock first as you sweep past knob 2.
Sorry this is so complicated but I couldn’t explain it any better.

If you can switch been snapshots without dragging the cursor do you still get a smooth transition? And if so can you automate the speed of the transition between snapshots say 1-3? I’m guessing not.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Loque

21 May 2019

MrFigg wrote:
21 May 2019
Here’s another thought I just had. Say you’ve got knob 1 on Snapshot 1set to 9 o’clock, knob 1 in snapshot 2 set to 4 o’clock and knob 1 in snapshot 3 set to 12 o’clock (you still with me?).
You want the knob 1 parameter to go from 3 to 12 o'clock. But for that to happen the knob has to go to 4 o’clock first as you sweep past knob 2.

If you can switch been snapshots without dragging the cursor do you still get a smooth transition? And if so can you automate the speed of the transition between snapshots say 1-3? I’m guessing not.
Why shouldnt this work? You can automate or CV control the morphing and you can make it as smooth or not as you like.
Reason12, Win10

Mataya

21 May 2019

Boombastix wrote:
21 May 2019
Mataya wrote:
21 May 2019

No it's different, it is a 4-way X-Y pad, so 4 values based on the X-Y position, and they depend on each other, but no scenes (or you could call it one scene). Morpher has 8 scenes each with 8 values, and no dependence, you can set each of the 8 CV values freely for each scene.
Oh right. I thought that with "snap"/quantise option you could get "scenes" in a way, but yeah I can see how different devices are. Still, you can get basic xy macro controller and more with quadelectra's.

M

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 May 2019

Loque wrote:
21 May 2019
MrFigg wrote:
21 May 2019

Why shouldnt this work? You can automate or CV control the morphing and you can make it as smooth or not as you like.
I figured it would work with automation. It wAs more the morphing dragging the cursor I was wondering about really (first scenario).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information