Kompulsion or Propulsion

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
MarkTarlton

17 May 2019

Do you prefer one or the other, and which one gets more use and why?

I understand one is a player, but it's also double the price, would love to hear some of your opinions on this.

thanks!

manisnotabird

17 May 2019

AFAIK, the only thing Propulsion can do that Kompulsion can't is nudge hits ahead of the beat. The list of things Kompulsion can do that Propulsion can't is much, much longer.

MarkTarlton

17 May 2019

manisnotabird wrote:
17 May 2019
AFAIK, the only thing Propulsion can do that Kompulsion can't is nudge hits ahead of the beat. The list of things Kompulsion can do that Propulsion can't is much, much longer.
that's great info! thanks a lot :)

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

17 May 2019

MarkTarlton wrote:
17 May 2019

I understand one is a player, but it's also double the price, would love to hear some of your opinions on this.

thanks!
Kompulsion = Korde and Propulsion added together (hence the name).

It depends on what you really want to do, for me the big difference is at the back of the rack.....

I have all 3 and use all 3... but that bit of info is not a lot of help for :)

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

17 May 2019

and here is a video I did of how to get the data out of Propulsion to track :)

MarkTarlton

17 May 2019

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
17 May 2019
MarkTarlton wrote:
17 May 2019

thanks!
Kompulsion = Korde and Propulsion added together (hence the name).

It depends on what you really want to do, for me the big difference is at the back of the rack.....

I have all 3 and use all 3... but that bit of info is not a lot of help for :)

awesome!! really appreciate the info, and that video is a great resource!

challism

18 May 2019

I'd recommend Kompusion over Propulsion for all the reasons stated above. Propulsion is a great device and I do love it, but it is limited as a gate trigger only. Doesn't have note outs. Kompulsion for the win!

You can adjust the timing of the hits in Kompulsion.via the "DLY" delay tab, although it will only nudge them backwards.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (68.98 KiB) Viewed 6216 times
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

MarkTarlton

18 May 2019

challism wrote:
18 May 2019
I'd recommend Kompusion over Propulsion for all the reasons stated above. Propulsion is a great device and I do love it, but it is limited as a gate trigger only. Doesn't have note outs. Kompulsion for the win!

You can adjust the timing of the hits in Kompulsion.via the "DLY" delay tab, although it will only nudge them backwards.
Capture.JPG
Thanks bud! Good stuff, keep em coming if you have anything to add. I'm pretty sure I'll be picking up Kompulsion.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

18 May 2019

MarkTarlton wrote:
18 May 2019
challism wrote:
18 May 2019

Capture.JPG
Thanks bud! Good stuff, keep em coming if you have anything to add. I'm pretty sure I'll be picking up Kompulsion.
Marry Propulsion with the Free CV tap and either the free CV8x4 or the ARCUS User Knobs and you can then have notes from propulsion :D

Seriously, what are you hoping to get out of this device? (to best advise you)

MarkTarlton

18 May 2019

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
18 May 2019
Marry Propulsion with the Free CV tap and either the free CV8x4 or the ARCUS User Knobs and you can then have notes from propulsion :D

I am looking to just have a new device that can help get ideas going easily for things like randomization and triggering. I also want to have a bit more fun with trigger/gates for midi out to hardware.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

18 May 2019

MarkTarlton wrote:
18 May 2019
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
18 May 2019

I am looking to just have a new device that can help get ideas going easily for things like randomization and triggering. I also want to have a bit more fun with trigger/gates for midi out to hardware.
I call this one of my waffle video's but the idea behind it is to spark off other ideas, it's to do with a Generative Project I did. The first bit you may find interested..

MarkTarlton

18 May 2019

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
18 May 2019
I call this one of my waffle video's but the idea behind it is to spark off other ideas, it's to do with a Generative Project I did. The first bit you may find interested..
Nice tutorial Carly! Thanks so much for all your help. Much appreciated!

EdGrip

19 May 2019

Being able to nudge hits ahead of the best is useful. Makes it easy to set up very specific flam-type double hits using a couple of lanes and putting them anywhere around the beat you like.

challism

20 May 2019

One of my favorite things about Propulsion is the ability to change the resolution of each lane. You have a crazy amount of control over the speed of each lane. So you can run your drum beat in 1/8 time and speed your high hats up to double speed. Or even 10x speed, if you want. Or slow them down to half speed, or even 1/5 speed.

The amount of control you have over the speed of each lane is amazing and it opens the device up to some really interesting and creative pattern manipulation, moreso than any other device I have seen (other than Korde, it has this same feature). I'm not sure why it got dropped from Kompulsion (or am I just not seeing it?), but maybe it will be added in a future update? The kind of grooves you can come up with by messing around with these different timings and pattern lengths is worth the price of admission.

Just buy all 3 devices!
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (11.06 KiB) Viewed 5956 times
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (9.69 KiB) Viewed 5956 times
Capture3.JPG
Capture3.JPG (10.17 KiB) Viewed 5956 times

MannequinRaces

20 May 2019

With Kompulsion you can multiply or divide by the rate (so easy to do double time, half time, and some other ones). On really fast multiplication ones it's really easy to ratchet the notes. I agree that buying all three is really the way to go. Kompulsion is a freaking beast.

challism

20 May 2019

MannequinRaces wrote:
20 May 2019
With Kompulsion you can multiply or divide by the rate (so easy to do double time, half time, and some other ones). On really fast multiplication ones it's really easy to ratchet the notes. I agree that buying all three is really the way to go. Kompulsion is a freaking beast.
Oh wow, I didn't realize that's what MUL and DIV were for! Derp! Thanks for pointing that out to me. I guess I've never really played around with those, always overlooked them for some reason. Same for the MIX section, I haven't messed with that at all, but I hear that it is quite ingenious.

MannequinRaces

20 May 2019

Happy to help! I just recently bought it on sale and had a quick glance through the manual so that's the only reason I know, lol. I haven't touched the mix section yet, it's not in the manual but seems straight forward and very powerful. Lectric Panda puts out great devices, that's for sure!

challism

20 May 2019

Yes they really do. I love the Panda.

I will also throw this out there, Korde and Propulsion have free running mode, so you can basically just crank on that resolution knob and play your look from 0-49.9Hz. I'm pretty sure that Kompulsion is just locked to the transport/song tempo with a range from 32/4 to 1/128.

Kore and Propulsion also have a shuffle knob, giving you much more control over the shuffle amount. Kompulsion is just a shuffle button, which locks to global shuffle. Sure, you still have control over the shuffle with Kompulsion's shuffle button, but it is not located on the device and it isn't specifically specialized for the device. If you adjust the global shuffle, you could affect other devices in the rack. On the other hand, Korde and Propulsion not having a global shuffle option limits you to that one kind of shuffle, so no custom grooves can be loaded.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (10.86 KiB) Viewed 5929 times
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (9.94 KiB) Viewed 5929 times

MarkTarlton

20 May 2019

this thread has been getting good, thanks everyone for keeping it alive and feeding it with great info.

EdGrip

20 May 2019

There's a Propulsion wired into a Kong with 4 separate mix channels in my default template.
Korde I haven't really explored much, but Propulsion is a brilliant device. Us old-skool 9.5-ers can't have Kompulsion.

challism

20 May 2019

I've been wishing Propulsion had notes for along time. I sort of gave up on the idea long ago, way before players were a thing, so I never thought about running Propulsion thru CV tap. WOW! This is a great day. I'm so happy!! I can now easily run Republik via Propulsion! Something I've been wanting to do for a long time. Thanks for the tip, Carly. Didn't even need to use CV8x4 for this, with all the devices inside a Combi, CV tap automatically picked up the Propulsion notes. :)

Does anybody have any idea how I can get more than just C1 to D#2 to play? I'm trying to figure out how I can shift all these Propulsion notes up 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 octaves so I can access all the notes in Republik (it goes from C1 to C6, as shown in the picture below). It's late and my brain isn't working. I know there is a way to do this in Reason, though.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (111.26 KiB) Viewed 5835 times

kraftf

20 May 2019

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
17 May 2019
and here is a video I did of how to get the data out of Propulsion to track :)

Hi there! This a nice video but since CVTAP was made, this is an overkill.
You can do this much more simply by only using CVTAP on top of Kong.
It will grab all the gates and send the correct notes to kong(D1-D#2) and you will be able to use cvtap's send to track to capture what's going on in propulsion.
challism if you need to change the notes being send by cv tap connect some knobs (CV8X4 is free) to cv taps corresponding note input.
Here is a picture
Untitled 2.jpeg
Untitled 2.jpeg (202.98 KiB) Viewed 5792 times

challism

21 May 2019

Thanks kraftf. That's simple enough. My brain was broken last night.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

21 May 2019

challism wrote:
21 May 2019
Thanks kraftf. That's simple enough. My brain was broken last night.
Up on my drop box I have CV to Note patch called CV Patch Notes.cmb

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i86l6urj74wo ... 6eSaa?dl=0

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

21 May 2019

kraftf wrote:
20 May 2019

Hi there! This a nice video but since CVTAP was made, this is an overkill.
You can do this much more simply by only using CVTAP on top of Kong.
It will grab all the gates and send the correct notes to kong(D1-D#2) and you will be able to use cvtap's send to track to capture what's going on in propulsion.
challism if you need to change the notes being send by cv tap connect some knobs (CV8X4 is free) to cv taps corresponding note input.
Here is a picture
Untitled 2.jpeg
But it still useful for those who don't have players..

• Information