Reason Drum Kits - worth it if you've got the Refill?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
mashers

17 May 2019

I already own the older Reason Drum Kits refill. Does the Rack Extension version offer much over and above that? I tend to use one kit mainly from the refill when I need an acoustic kit, but would be prepared to grab the RE while it's on sale if the mic placement options and built-in effects are really worth it. Thanks in advance :)

diminished
Competition Winner

17 May 2019

It's fast and gives great results. I was sceptical at first, but it's really worth it. (Use code RDKSAVE for an extra 60% or so off)
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

guitfnky

17 May 2019

yeah, it's a lot more intuitive than the Refill version. if you've got any other multisampled kit VSTs like Addictive Drums, it may be less worth it, but I bought the Rack Extension version, and still find it useful, even alongside the VSTs.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

mashers

17 May 2019

diminished wrote:
17 May 2019
It's fast and gives great results. I was sceptical at first, but it's really worth it. (Use code RDKSAVE for an extra 60% or so off)
Holy shit dude that worked... I got it for £17.16 with the May Madness discount and the the voucher code! Thanks so much!
guitfnky wrote:
17 May 2019
yeah, it's a lot more intuitive than the Refill version. if you've got any other multisampled kit VSTs like Addictive Drums, it may be less worth it, but I bought the Rack Extension version, and still find it useful, even alongside the VSTs.
Thanks man, intuitive is definitely what I need. I've found I have been copying and pasting a combi between projects with a preset NN-XT and effects, but it's all a bit messy. And I do find the Refill a bit cumbersome to navigate. Hopefully this will be easier to use :)

Lov2sing

17 May 2019

My only wish if they would have allowed samples to be loaded, and it had a player device in it like A-list drums. Still I got it and it is easier to work with than the refill.
We make music for a reason

sleep1979

17 May 2019

Wish the bass one had a code still

reggie1979

17 May 2019

Insta buy! Thanks for the tips!

reggie1979

18 May 2019

The midi is kinda weird, it seems they are too long and you have to manually crop them.

MEH, the moment I posted this they are fine. Have no idea what I did wrong.
Last edited by reggie1979 on 18 May 2019, edited 1 time in total.

diminished
Competition Winner

18 May 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
18 May 2019
The midi is kinda weird, it seems they are too long and you have to manually crop them.
What do you mean? Never had any need for chopping unless I wanted to. Most are 4 bar clips and they adjust automatically to your time signature.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

reggie1979

18 May 2019

It seems to be certain ones, or a glitch in the matrix.

DAMN, can't reproduce. What is wrong with me!
Last edited by reggie1979 on 18 May 2019, edited 1 time in total.

Pingafuego

18 May 2019

Is it possible to install the samples on an external HD, like the old refill?

buddard
RE Developer

19 May 2019

Pingafuego wrote:
18 May 2019
No, the samples are embedded in the RE. Perhaps you can move your REs to another drive using shortcuts/symlinks, but I would hardly recommend an external drive for that.

Pingafuego

19 May 2019

buddard wrote:
19 May 2019
Pingafuego wrote:
18 May 2019
No, the samples are embedded in the RE. Perhaps you can move your REs to another drive using shortcuts/symlinks, but I would hardly recommend an external drive for that.
Thanks! No crossgrade for me...

Ostermilk

19 May 2019

I got it despite having the ReFill.

I love the sample set and I made some pretty drawn out combi's for it.

However I love it wrapped up as an IDT RE. It's almost like the sample set was meant to be presented this way at the outset. As has already been mentioned there was/is a hefty discount for previous owners of the ReFill which did make the upgrade a bit less painful.

I use Superior Drummer for a lot of stuff but there's something earthy and raw sounding about RDK which I can't resist.

reggie1979

19 May 2019

It does have a certain sound, doesn't it?

I also love how it's wrapped in a package. The way you can manipulate reverb, having the channels with their own eq and such and if you want multiple channels, that is easily laid out in the back. It was 19.11, really cool.

mashers

19 May 2019

I also really love the samples in this refill. I often use the Jimmy kit. It’s become my go-to acoustic kit. I’m really looking forward to trying out the RE version as the mic placement should make adjusting the intimacy of the kit really straightforward. I also bought Mega Brass and I’m pleased to find that the combi patches are already maximised and compressed to fuck... so these together are gonna sound massive :twisted:

antic604

20 May 2019

Anyone can comment on this? The refill version really sound much less compressed, cleaner and doesn't 'phase' like he's showing around 6th minute :o

Guy just posted it on FB:

diminished
Competition Winner

20 May 2019

The Refill version is also phasing. Listen closely. Also the volume is lower, the room verb is missing from what I can see and obviously the compressor is a different one or set up differently compared to the RE.

diminished
Competition Winner

20 May 2019

I also can't see shit with a resolution like that on my screen :D

guitfnky

20 May 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
19 May 2019

I also love how it's wrapped in a package. The way you can manipulate reverb, having the channels with their own eq and such and if you want multiple channels, that is easily laid out in the back. It was 19.11, really cool.
it's definitely got an awesome sound of its own. the only other thing I wish we had with the Rack Extension is Peff's excellent vintage drums refill. I used that refill as the basis for so many songs, pre-VST.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

MrFigg
Competition Winner

20 May 2019

guitfnky wrote:
20 May 2019
reggie1979 wrote:
19 May 2019

it's definitely got an awesome sound of its own. the only other thing I wish we had with the Rack Extension is Peff's excellent vintage drums refill. I used that refill as the basis for so many songs, pre-VST.
You don’t mean the ones that are here?

http://www.peff.com/journal/reason-refills/

Or...

http://www.peff.com/journal/2006/04/19/ ... -rdk-v111/

Edit: sorry. I just saw you meant with the RE. Oh well, maybe someone can use them.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

mashers

20 May 2019

Interesting, I hadn’t noticed the phasing issue but it may be that I just haven’t used affected samples. I’ll have a listen to both when I’m home to see if I can reproduce it.

antic604

20 May 2019

mashers wrote:
20 May 2019
Interesting, I hadn’t noticed the phasing issue but it may be that I just haven’t used affected samples. I’ll have a listen to both when I’m home to see if I can reproduce it.
The guy just confirmed on FB that this was an issue with his MIDI keyboard - after he changed to another one, the problem was gone :)

reggie1979

20 May 2019

Oh, that's bizarre. I wonder why a keyboard would do that?

mashers

20 May 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
20 May 2019
Oh, that's bizarre. I wonder why a keyboard would do that?
Perhaps it was sending midi commands it shouldn't have. My controller does this - it sends pitch bend data almost constantly, so I have to disable the pitch bend controls on the device if I want to use the controller to record.

• Information