(80s) "Night Rider" - Hurricane

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
hurricane
Competition Winner

13 May 2019

I’ve deliberately refrained from making complete tracks for almost a year. I used that time to recalibrate and learn. In that time, I’ve been obsessed with cassettes, so much so that I've collected about 30 tape decks, figured out how to fix them (that's my new hobby), and I've also built up quite a collection of cassettes from the 80s. I also have 80s boomboxes all over the place now. And I'm pretty sure I'll install a tape player in my car soon. It's an obsession for sure - but the obsession is being driven by the music - and specifically, 80s music. I didn’t listen to anything but 80s music for the whole time I've been "away" - which was an interesting experiment. That music really satisfies me on all levels. The musicality of it all is something I really find appealing, and of course the use of synths during that time is also a big part of the allure.

So here’s my first track in a while. It's very simple, but I just wanted to write something I could drive to at night and give me that "feel".

Done in Reason 10.3. I used a DX7, DX7s TX7, CZ-1, Virus Classic, and my Jp-8080, along with a few VSTs and a couple of RE instruments. I did some basic pre-mixing while working on the track, but mixing in Reason really frustrates me so I exported all the tracks in MONO (which has been my biggest workflow change) and mixed in Pro Tools. Mixing in Reason is so clunky and un-fun - yuck. I just don't want to do it anymore. Moving everything to Pro Tools was a sigh of relief. Used Waves plugins exclusively, and tried not to participate in the loudness wars.

Thanks for listening.

Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

DrGOA®

14 May 2019

Good track!👌

siriussounds

14 May 2019

Nice 80s feel. Nostalgic for me, who used to watch Knight Rider on TV.

modecca

14 May 2019

u peaked in 2018 son this track stinks
🔗💥

Soft Enerji

15 May 2019

I left you a comment and a like on SC. As far as 80s pop rock goes you nailed this one. Reminiscent of loads of movie themes of the era.

While it's not the sort of stuff I listened to in those days (I was more post punk and goth at the time) I can appreciate what you've done.

On that note I hope the comment above was some kinda joke....

hurricane
Competition Winner

15 May 2019

Soft Enerji wrote:
15 May 2019
I left you a comment and a like on SC. As far as 80s pop rock goes you nailed this one. Reminiscent of loads of movie themes of the era.

While it's not the sort of stuff I listened to in those days (I was more post punk and goth at the time) I can appreciate what you've done.

On that note I hope the comment above was some kinda joke....
Thanks for the comment and for listening to my track.

Thanks to that other guy who hates it. If you prefer my "2018" self, lol - then you'll like my next track.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Micha1973

15 May 2019

Very good job - how do you export all in mono from reason? how du you du this... many questions
Music Is My Life
&
Reason 12 sounds better :essentials:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsW3Wr ... gA05XklBng

hurricane
Competition Winner

15 May 2019

Micha1973 wrote:
15 May 2019
Very good job - how do you export all in mono from reason? how du you du this... many questions
This is what works for me - if there is a simpler way then please let me know.

You have to make sure each device is outputting in mono so unhook the R cable on a mix channel.
mono mix channel.png
mono mix channel.png (192.44 KiB) Viewed 2084 times

Then in the export dialog, you will check:
mono export.png
mono export.png (23.89 KiB) Viewed 2084 times

One thing that ticks me off is that even after disconnecting the R cable, if you were to bounce in place the bounce comes out STEREO. Very frustrating. So you have to go through the bounce dialog to get mono.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Micha1973

16 May 2019

oki* thanx
Music Is My Life
&
Reason 12 sounds better :essentials:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsW3Wr ... gA05XklBng

raymondh

17 May 2019

Great track. I added some comments on the SC. I especially like the synth guitar sound and melody (something I'd like to improve on with my own stuff).

I could see how this would be great driving music too. Nice one!

What is it about cassettes that has captured your attention? Is it the association with the music, nostalgia and vibe of the 80s, or is it the sound from a taped recording?
I remember the days when it was super special to play a chrome tape, and then move up to *gasp* metal !! And A-B'ing with different forms of Dolby noise reduction!
And I'm still scarred from the time back in about '84 when I borrowed a friend's hard-earned cassette - It was Yazoo's Nobody's Diary - and my boom box ate his tape!! I spent ages detangling it, then winding it back into the cassette with a pencil but it was all kinked and the damage was done! I felt awful about that !!

hurricane
Competition Winner

17 May 2019

raymondh wrote:
17 May 2019
Great track. I added some comments on the SC. I especially like the synth guitar sound and melody (something I'd like to improve on with my own stuff).

What is it about cassettes that has captured your attention? Is it the association with the music, nostalgia and vibe of the 80s, or is it the sound from a taped recording?
Thanks.

And the thing about cassettes...yeah, it's all that. :puf_smile:

I REALLY like the sound I get from them - particularly the top loaders from the 70s. I've refurbished plenty of those already and they're the best kind of 'tape plugin' honestly. I've got a whole multi-tape deck recording system set up, lol, and while I understand it is nowhere near what 2 inch reel-to-reel is, I'm not recording to cassette for fidelity, it's for effect. Each tape deck has its own sound, each blank cassette does too. And I prefer the really shitty cassettes. I also love listening to all these original 80s cassettes on my tape deck(s) and my walkman(s). It's something I never had the chance to do. And of course I love the music! :thumbs_up:

Thanks for listening!
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

raymondh

17 May 2019

hurricane wrote:
17 May 2019
raymondh wrote:
17 May 2019

Thanks.

And the thing about cassettes...yeah, it's all that. :puf_smile:

I REALLY like the sound I get from them - particularly the top loaders from the 70s. I've refurbished plenty of those already and they're the best kind of 'tape plugin' honestly. I've got a whole multi-tape deck recording system set up, lol, and while I understand it is nowhere near what 2 inch reel-to-reel is, I'm not recording to cassette for fidelity, it's for effect. Each tape deck has its own sound, each blank cassette does too. And I prefer the really shitty cassettes. I also love listening to all these original 80s cassettes on my tape deck(s) and my walkman(s). It's something I never had the chance to do. And of course I love the music! :thumbs_up:

Thanks for listening!
Very cool! Have fun with all that!

cheers

Wobbleburger

18 May 2019

hurricane wrote:
13 May 2019

This is killer. Awesome work. I love it and the mix is lovely.
In the 90s, my midi music was on the Baulder's Gate site. That was my life peak.
Reasonite since 2000. My music (and my old midi) can be found here:
https://futurewizard.org

MannequinRaces

18 May 2019

Sounds great! When’s the new album coming out on... cassette?! :) Keep it up.

hurricane
Competition Winner

18 May 2019

MannequinRaces wrote:
18 May 2019
Sounds great! When’s the new album coming out on... cassette?! :) Keep it up.
Working on it. :puf_wink:
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

hurricane
Competition Winner

18 May 2019

Wobbleburger wrote:
18 May 2019
hurricane wrote:
13 May 2019

This is killer. Awesome work. I love it and the mix is lovely.
Thanks, I worked harder on my mixing this time!
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

• Information