Sequences from Robotic Bean - 1.3 is out!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
nikolafeve

18 May 2019

FiatLux wrote:
08 May 2019
buddard wrote:
08 May 2019

We didn't feel that it added much since all it does is load/save the entire state of the device. So we felt it would be more or less the same to just copy the entire device and paste it somewhere.

What would be your main use case if we added a patch browser?
Have a library of patterns you can quickly load and swap out for trying different sequences for your compositions.
No different than why you would have a save/load feature on a device like the Dual Arp or Scales and Chords or Kompulsion.
Personally, I think having that functionality is completely intuitive to a device like this.
Again, really amazing work on this device.
Agree!!
Reason 10 - UA Apollo Twin -  OSX 10.13.6 - MacBook Pro 15inch 2018 - 2.2Ghz Intel Core i7 - RAM 16GB 2400 Mhz DDR4 - Radeon Pro 555X 4096 MB

nikolafeve

18 May 2019

I have also suggestions:

-be able to choose the scale. This is how i see this feature:
If a scale is selected, the current notes out of the scale already written in the sequencer will appear in red and wont play

-LCD contrast
Reason 10 - UA Apollo Twin -  OSX 10.13.6 - MacBook Pro 15inch 2018 - 2.2Ghz Intel Core i7 - RAM 16GB 2400 Mhz DDR4 - Radeon Pro 555X 4096 MB

nikolafeve

18 May 2019

It was an instant buy for me. Great device as usual!

buddard
RE Developer

18 May 2019

nikolafeve wrote:
18 May 2019
-be able to choose the scale. This is how i see this feature:
If a scale is selected, the current notes out of the scale already written in the sequencer will appear in red and wont play
Our thinking there was that players are so easy to chain, that if you need pitch quantization you just drag a Scales & Chords (or whatever alternative is created in the future) after Sequences and you’re good to go.

This means that Sequences doesn’t have to waste any panel space on scales, and can instead focus on playback and editing. 😊

artotaku

18 May 2019

This is a really cool device with a lot of potential when using it with a midi controller in a live setup. I already came up with some musical results I wouldn´t have achieved by just entering notes with a "normal" gate step sequencer where you cannot enter chords that easy.

I hope the remote integration will be extended in a coming update. It would be handy to have:
- remotable output item for the current recording step index to have visual feedback on the midi controller of where you are
- non-destructive step navigation while in recording mode (currently navigation back with undo erases the recorded step)
- allow change of step start postion in recording mode or offset the whole recorded pattern
- make erasing the whole pattern remotable

Here´s a video of using four Sequences instances with a Novation Launchkey Mini Mk2. The notes of the synths were all entered with step recording.

altron

18 May 2019

Bought Sequences yesterday together with a couple other overdue player REs. I like it so far. One feature I'd like to see being added is save/load presets though.
Trap is where music goes to die.

Data_Shrine

19 May 2019

I looked into this device and while it seemed interesting, 32 steps is very low. I was looking for something like the step sequencer on the SH-01A (which also you to input up to a 100 steps). From this thread, it also seems to need too many workarounds (for live pattern triggering from a MIDI controller, for exemple).

buddard
RE Developer

20 May 2019

Here's the latest Quick Tip video by Anders, with some tips and tricks related to the Step Recording mode:

Re8et
Competition Winner

22 May 2019

How do you copy-paste between two units?

Re8et
Competition Winner

22 May 2019

Re8et wrote:
22 May 2019
Self answering, lol, just move one player above the other!

buddard
RE Developer

22 May 2019

Re8et wrote:
22 May 2019
It's not possible to use Sequences' own copy/paste mechanism between instances since REs are not allowed to share any memory with each other. But there are two workarounds:

- You can copy an entire instance of Sequences to another instrument by holding both Shift and Alt while dragging it above the other instrument.

- Or if you just want to transfer some partial data from one instance to the other, you can drag the first instance so that it's right above the other instance in the player stack. Then you can record notes from the first into the second instance.

Re8et
Competition Winner

22 May 2019

altron wrote:
18 May 2019
Bought Sequences yesterday together with a couple other overdue player REs. I like it so far. One feature I'd like to see being added is save/load presets though.
I was just asking myself the same thing, I guess we'll have to combine them

antic604

22 May 2019

I already shared the idea with Robotic Bean, but I thought why not ask what people think here as well?

So while enjoying using Sequences I thought I of an idea how it might evolve in the future to cater to people looking for Live/Bitwig workflow in Reason. My solution would be 2-fold:
1) add 2+ CV sequencers to accompany every MIDI pattern - should be easy enough, I think since Step Note Recorder has it?
2) create a Sequences Launcher RE, that'd basically connect via CV to Sequences and trigger specified pattern with set quantization (e.g. 1/2 of a bar), so that playback remains in time no matter how imprecisely user triggers it

This way we could have a singe Sequences Launcher RE that's triggering up to 8 Sequences, each of which would connect to instruments and FX (via said CV sequencers). The buttons on the Sequences Launcher RE could be remote-mappable or - even better - triggered by finger on a touch screen.

I made of picture of how such setup could look like:

What you think? :)

buddard
RE Developer

22 May 2019

Sequences 1.0.2 is out! We wanted to get a few more fixes and minor tweaks in before we start digging into 1.1. :D
  • Note lengths are now sample accurate (but sometimes automatically shortened to avoid unwanted legatos)
  • Undo Step now shortens notes that would extend past the recording head
  • Clear Pattern Recording (clearing the buffer while recording) is now Remoteable
  • Bug fix: Applying "Duplicate" to the whole pattern would not delete notes immediately to the right of the length marker

kraftf

22 May 2019

I stepped on the Sequences boat too.
Amazing addition to the players Arsenal.
I am also joining the crowd and support the feature request for ability to save and load patches from this player. Would make life easier for a lot of people!
Well done Robotic bean!!!

kraftf

22 May 2019

I also forgot to state my support for the feature request for a cv input for pattern selection and thus avoid fiddling with the combinator.

Spaceship

22 May 2019

It would be interesting if you could set the octave modulation sequencer to a different step length than he note sequencer.

Currently using the octave feature feels redundant to just placing the note in a different octave in the note sequencer.

mon

22 May 2019

Easily one of my top 5 REs ever! This is the perfect match for Drum Sequencer player RE. Ofcourse I could dream for additional features but it is already outstanding the way it is now.
:reason: 10+
:recycle: :re: :refillpacker:

Biolumin3sc3nt

22 May 2019

Finally just picked this up. Only RE i'll be getting for the May Madness Sale. I've been having so much fun with this lil guy... Props to the Robotic Bean Crew!

buddard
RE Developer

24 May 2019

Thanks for all the kind words, everyone! :D

And yes, more features will be coming!

djadalaide

24 May 2019

buddard wrote:
24 May 2019
Thanks for all the kind words, everyone! :D

And yes, more features will be coming!
Its exactly what i've been needing to get rid of the reason sequencer, thats tied down to fixed sequence lengths

selig
RE Developer

24 May 2019

antic604 wrote:
22 May 2019
I already shared the idea with Robotic Bean, but I thought why not ask what people think here as well?
………
This is pretty much what we all suggested in previous thread on the subject of Players/Launchers.
If Players added support for all MIDI performance controllers (pitch bend, modulation, sustain, etc), this approach would make even more sense IMO.
Selig Audio, LLC

PhillipOrdonez

25 May 2019

Can we shorten a single note?

antic604

25 May 2019

selig wrote:
24 May 2019
antic604 wrote:
22 May 2019
………
This is pretty much what we all suggested in previous thread on the subject of Players/Launchers.
If Players added support for all MIDI performance controllers (pitch bend, modulation, sustain, etc), this approach would make even more sense IMO.
But that's it - it already makes sense, people could use it right now and some dev would make money on it.

But yeah, let's wait until it can be made perfect ;)

ljekio

27 May 2019

Can I make small feature request?
I want to see switch mode of recording - overwrite or add notes (as now presented). I guess it useful option can save the last successful take.

• Information