giving up alcohol

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Zac

17 May 2019

One day at a time. Not today.

fullforce

17 May 2019

Zac wrote:
17 May 2019
Same here. Although I do well on weekdays when I have to work.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Zac

17 May 2019

fullforce wrote:
17 May 2019
Zac wrote:
17 May 2019
Same here. Although I do well on weekdays when I have to work.
I used to as well. Then i started quitting jobs. Now every day is a weekend.

reggie1979

18 May 2019

This is it kiddies. I have the busiest schedule next week and need to fast and do labs.

If I can't quit, I'm doomed.

reggie1979

21 May 2019

edit/nope/
Last edited by reggie1979 on 21 May 2019, edited 1 time in total.

Zac

21 May 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
21 May 2019
Two days, I have an MRI tomorrow so likely 3 days. IT'S TOUGH. I feel better today but I'm still shaky. Yesterday I felt like I had a cold from about drinking time to about 8pm.
Well, hang in there. Specifically, try not to die.

I don't recommend it at all. Go quick though. Real quick. If you have to. I've heard that's better. But no. Don't die.

If you were to be i n nee d o f bo oze it would j ust b e a matter o f log is tics, surely?

modecca

22 May 2019

reasonsuser88 wrote:
17 May 2019
52 days into being dry as a camel's butt hole. Last night I was toying with the idea of maybe buying a fancy bottle of cognac to drink in moderation since my preferred drink is beer, but after further reflection, I think that is the monkey playing a mind game with me. I'm just very confused about whether or not I'm ever going to drink at all some day.

I suppose a helpful question would be what purpose does it serve?
Some are satisfied with a little, some prefer indulging in a lot(😈 category) and I being in the second category will savor some lavish Hennessy from time to time.
The questions are: What category are you in and if we assume it's the second, can you handle it or is it just a gateway back into addiction?
🔗💥

reggie1979

22 May 2019

I had a hard time not shaking during my MRI.

BTW, anyone had one of those? Man, they are LOUD!!

diminished
Competition Winner

22 May 2019

I hope everything went well. I also hope you didn't try to sample it in secret with in-ear gear :)
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

reggie1979

22 May 2019

Oh man, it was intense even with ear plugs.

reasonsuser88

22 May 2019

modecca wrote:
22 May 2019
The questions are: What category are you in and if we assume it's the second, can you handle it or is it just a gateway back into addiction?
Well I don't plan on drinking any time soon. I came to the conclusion that thinking about drinking for no reason by myself is a bad sign. The funny thing is there has been a bottle of vodka in the fridge this whole time that my girlfriend barely used to make vodka pasta sauce. I don't have an addictive personality but I am obssessive which doesn't help my case. Drink, drink, drink. Not because I'm addicted but because I obsess with my thoughts and get caught in loops. Anyways, almost two months now and things are interesting. Lots of new things to keep me afloat i.e. music stuff, laptop, phone, shoes. I went out today to get my new phone and I felt at peace with things compared to a former self that either wanted a drink before going out in public or too hungover to bust a mission. I also fit into my black t-shirts better without all the beer. Will I ever drink again? I don't know. The AA stuff isn't for me as somebody with an antisocial personality disorder of some sort but they do have a good point about taking things one day at a time. I know that idea isn't supposed to apply to moderation but I take what I want from things. That said, it should be noted that everybody is different, and there is no one size that fits all. Some people do have to quit for good. My girlfriend has a friend that had to quit drinking due to fatty liver but he just won three hundred thousand dollars. May God have mercy on his soul.
The time has come for you to take care and comb your hair. :wave:

reggie1979

22 May 2019

My labs were awful :lol: I mean super super bad, I know it's from drinking.

modecca

23 May 2019

reasonsuser88 wrote:
22 May 2019
modecca wrote:
22 May 2019
The AA stuff isn't for me as somebody with an antisocial personality disorder of some sort but they do have a good point about taking things one day at a time. I know that idea isn't supposed to apply to moderation but I take what I want from things.
One day at a time is an excellent motto and it's embedded in how I operate. I can have different rules each day, thus self improvement/challenge plans still have plenty of breathing room and therefore can consistently be accomplished.

One reason I have allowed cigarettes back into my life, is I think they offer an ideal challenge in regards to impulse control.
In the early stages I got to watch my brain at various points of each day say: oh this would be a good opportunity to smoke, these impulses triggered by a wide variety of internal and external stimuli (ex: people smoking in movies/failure at a goal).
Overtime identifying the impulse as soon as each one happens, a person can either build up a momentum of giving it the middle finger or build up a momentum of giving in and thus becoming powerless to a particular type of impulse.
So for some people giving up something completely is secondary, to having developed a strong momentum, that gives them confidence that no impulses have any power over them. Once this has happened, they can play with things that are generally thought to be dangerous, with no risk.
🔗💥

MarkTarlton

23 May 2019

this thread is still going? I can pick one word that sums it all up...ENABLE

mental health is not something you should try to take on yourself.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

23 May 2019

MarkTarlton wrote:
23 May 2019

Well said. Truth
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

reasonsuser88

23 May 2019

modecca wrote:
23 May 2019
So for some people giving up something completely is secondary, to having developed a strong momentum, that gives them confidence that no impulses have any power over them. Once this has happened, they can play with things that are generally thought to be dangerous, with no risk.
Yeah...some people. It should be noted that there will be the temptation of moderation for a recovering addict though which leads to what they call relapse. Finding a balance between relapse and moderation is generally ill-advised and a lot of people pass the point of no return.
MarkTarlton wrote:
23 May 2019

Let the record reflect the nature of this thread to be personal perspective on giving up alcohol. Alcohol has been around since the late stone age with a global industry worth billions and it isn't a mental health issue by default. The spectrum of alcohol use in the world seems to cover most of the melting pot actually. Those cute little Vervet monkeys stealing drinks from tourists in the Caribbean don't have mental health issues!

MarkTarlton

23 May 2019

reasonsuser88 wrote:
23 May 2019
Let the record reflect the nature of this thread to be personal perspective on giving up alcohol. Alcohol has been around since the late stone age with a global industry worth billions and it isn't a mental health issue by default. The spectrum of alcohol use in the world seems to cover most of the melting pot actually. Those cute little Vervet monkeys stealing drinks from tourists in the Caribbean don't have mental health issues!
yes, but people with alcohol issues usually are masking something. not everyone has issues with it, but people who drink excessively might.

sleep1979

23 May 2019

MarkTarlton wrote:
23 May 2019

I've never started a thread that has started this much momentum and its made me think
maybe there should be a little corner for us musicians to talk about this stuff
and mainly guys in general ( I know there are ladies here everyone's welcome )
but guys are the ones who don't really talk about shit , but online its easier I guess
like in general ( not all cases ) if girls go trough a break up they all pat her back ( her friends ) and help her
men we just hide away
so I'm gonna start a new thread ( for all men and women ) and see what happens look out for it :-)

MarkTarlton

23 May 2019

sleep1979 wrote:
23 May 2019
MarkTarlton wrote:
23 May 2019

I've never started a thread that has started this much momentum and its made me think
but guys are the ones who don't really talk about shit , but online its easier I guess
like in general ( not all cases ) if girls go trough a break up they all pat her back ( her friends ) and help her
men we just hide away
so I'm gonna start a new thread ( for all men and women ) and see what happens look out for it :-)
yeah guys tend to not be so good at expressing their feelings, I know that first hand. I think relying on drugs and alcohol to help with those feelings/emotions can make it easier in the short term but harder in the long run. I wish you the best at your recovery and I am not judging anyone here, just trying to voice another opinion :)

sleep1979

23 May 2019

MarkTarlton wrote:
23 May 2019
sleep1979 wrote:
23 May 2019

men we just hide away
yeah guys tend to not be so good at expressing their feelings, I know that first hand. I think relying on drugs and alcohol to help with those feelings/emotions can make it easier in the short term but harder in the long run. I wish you the best at your recovery and I am not judging anyone here, just trying to voice another opinion :)
its all good bro
its all subjective
what's quick for someone isn't quick for others
and what A lot of us forget is
when we look out from our eyes and our brains at others, what we forget is that everyone doesn't deal with things the same
which is hard to fathom when you can only look out from your eyes and brain , you have only ever experienced your brain your whole life :-)

MarkTarlton

23 May 2019

sleep1979 wrote:
23 May 2019
MarkTarlton wrote:
23 May 2019

its all good bro
its all subjective
when we look out from our eyes and our brains at others, what we forget is that everyone doesn't deal with things the same
which is hard to fathom when you can only look out from your eyes and brain , you have only ever experienced your brain your whole life :-)
so true! amen brother

sleep1979

23 May 2019

MarkTarlton wrote:
23 May 2019
sleep1979 wrote:
23 May 2019

its all good bro
its all subjective
so true! amen brother
peace !

reggie1979

23 May 2019

I know it's off topic, but the MRI revealed "bulging disks" (plural)

The spine clinic is going to get in touch with me. I'm afraid to google it :lol:

modecca

23 May 2019

reasonsuser88 wrote:
23 May 2019
modecca wrote:
23 May 2019
Yeah...some people. It should be noted that there will be the temptation of moderation for a recovering addict though which leads to what they call relapse. Finding a balance between relapse and moderation is generally ill-advised and a lot of people pass the point of no return.

I am confident that in time I will see a PL who can have the occasional drink, without being a addicted to the substance.
I will stubbornly repeat: alcohol is not the enemy, it is the persons curiosity dying in relation to, doable self control that is the enemy.
🔗💥

reasonsuser88

23 May 2019

modecca wrote:
23 May 2019
I am confident that in time I will see a PL who can have the occasional drink, without being a addicted to the substance.
I will stubbornly repeat: alcohol is not the enemy, it is the persons curiosity dying in relation to, doable self control that is the enemy.
Please allow the record to reflect it has become apparent to me that your brain is wired to need different stimuli in your life more so than others. This would of course be helpful in a quest for moderation. My girlfriend is like that and it's one of the reasons I found her to be fascinating.

One day at a time. I need a good reason to toast vs my old self drinking just to do mundane tasks or be full of myself. I used to shave my head every two weeks while I was intoxicated but that is the one thing I don't think I can learn to enjoy. I absolutely hate it more than cleaning or doing laundry.

• Information