NI Kontrol MKII - Worth it for Reason?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
altron

16 May 2019

I'm planning to buy a new control keyboard and after checking out several candidates I focussed on the NI Kontrol MKII. If I'm going to decide for this I would go all in for the 88 key version. But I'd like to hear other user's opinion first how well it can be integrated with Reason 10. As expected manufacturers seem blatantly ignorant about Reason and don't offer any official support for it (but for most other popular DAWs).

So how well does Kontrol MKII integrate with Reason? I'd like to be able to control most instruments and effect RE/VST parameters in Reason via the Kontrol. I don't really care so much about NI's software instruments. They are good quality but I find them uninspiring.

Any users of the MKII around?
Trap is where music goes to die.

PeterP

16 May 2019

I have the NI Kontrol S61 mk2 and I had the mk1 before that.

You can't use any of the song navigation or mixing controls, those only works in Ableton, Cubase and Logic. They dropped the basic MCU support in mk2.

If you use the Komplete Kontrol VST to host NKS compatible VSTs then all the browsing, controls, lights, scales and arpeggios works just fine inside Reason.

It will default to midi mode and you can map out all the controls manually just like any other midi controller.

I think that they keybed feels great to use, it's the best one I've ever used in that regard and I don't regret my purchase at all.

altron

16 May 2019

PeterP wrote:
16 May 2019
I have the NI Kontrol S61 mk2 and I had the mk1 before that.

You can't use any of the song navigation or mixing controls, those only works in Ableton, Cubase and Logic. They dropped the basic MCU support in mk2.

If you use the Komplete Kontrol VST to host NKS compatible VSTs then all the browsing, controls, lights, scales and arpeggios works just fine inside that VST.

It will default to midi mode and you can map out all the controls manually just like any other midi controller.

I think that they keybed feels great to use, it's the best one I've ever used in that regard and I don't regret my purchase at all.
Thanks for the info PeterP! I actually use a Mackie MCU Pro as my controller for mixer and transport so that would be covered quite nicely. So the VST integration works only when using the Kontrol VST, I see! I guess that reduces the use case for me to a minimum as I don't use any NI VSTs. I would have to map other VSTs and Reason devices myself in MIDI mode. I take it the integration of a Nektar LX88+ would be much better with Reason, though I think the Kontrol hardware has a much better feel and action.

fieldframe
RE Developer

16 May 2019

NI has been "considering" adding MCU support to Komplete Kontrol Mk2 for over a year.

[edit]

I spoke too soon: NI has finally moved beyond "considering" into "developing," and it should be in beta soon: https://www.native-instruments.com/foru ... st-1788423

This was the one thing keeping me from buying an M32, so it looks like I'll be picking one up after all.

altron

16 May 2019

fieldframe wrote:
16 May 2019
NI has been "considering" adding MCU support to Komplete Kontrol Mk2 for over a year.

[edit]

I spoke too soon: NI has finally moved beyond "considering" into "developing," and it should be in beta soon: https://www.native-instruments.com/foru ... st-1788423

This was the one thing keeping me from buying an M32, so it looks like I'll be picking one up after all.
That's good news! I keep an eye on the development.

reddust

04 Jun 2019

Hi altron, have you finally purchased the Kontrol S88 MK2? I'm thinking of getting one as well but still hesitating if I should go for the S88 or the S61.

• Information