Anyone else interested in bringing Eurorack hardware to RE format?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
DJMaytag

12 May 2019

Just curious if I'm not the only one interested in certain devices, from the Eurorack modular world, to have RE equivalents or at least similarly functional RE's. I'm not a developer, but I'm sure it's possible to bring some of these things over, especially the ones based on code and not analog hardware:

Maths by Make Noise (DVC-1 might be close in some functions)
Serge Dual Universal Slope Generator
Mutable Instruments Braids or Plaits (digital module, versatile digital oscillator... and the code is open source)
A-196 PLL by Doepfer (I think this exists in Softube Modular)
Spectral Multiband Resonator by 4ms (not sure if this is digital based or not)
E330/E352/E370 Wavetable VCO/Cloud Generator type digital VCO's

Math/function/logic modules would be AWESOME in RE format, and certainly any sort of digital VCO/wavetable oscillator from that world would be awesome!

mjxl

12 May 2019

Complex-1 has a function with maths, also check the Chronologists https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/bro ... onologists
I think there are a couple more, not sure atm :o

BRIGGS

12 May 2019

"Anyone else interested in bringing Eurorack hardware to RE format?"

Are you trying to destroy my wallet/bank account? lolz! :puf_smile:
r11s

DJMaytag

12 May 2019

BRIGGS wrote:
12 May 2019
YES!

Looking at what’s been brought to the table for Softube Modular, and VCV Rack, it would seem like it would be just as easy to bring similar devices to Reason in RE format. I’d wonder if R11 would support using VCV Rack modules as RE’s!

MannequinRaces

12 May 2019

I'd love to see more Eurorack hardware as REs. The Noise Engineering REs are a good start (https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/bro ... ngineering). I'm hoping that R11 introduces 1/2 rack and 1/4 rack modules from Propellerhead and 3rd party developers. Hey I can dream! :)

BRIGGS

12 May 2019

DJMaytag wrote:
12 May 2019
BRIGGS wrote:
12 May 2019
YES!

Looking at what’s been brought to the table for Softube Modular, and VCV Rack, it would seem like it would be just as easy to bring similar devices to Reason in RE format. I’d wonder if R11 would support using VCV Rack modules as RE’s!
:thumbs_up: :puf_smile:

I think Complex-1 with it's 'front of the rack wiring', opens the door. One challenge is keeping things tidy via show/hide cables. The last thing we need is a giant mess of wires on the front of the rack.
r11s

mjxl

13 May 2019

BRIGGS wrote:
12 May 2019
I think Complex-1 with it's 'front of the rack wiring', opens the door. One challenge is keeping things tidy via show/hide cables. The last thing we need is a giant mess of wires on the front of the rack.
We can move the cables on the front as well, most of them can be layed so they don't cover the interface !

BRIGGS

13 May 2019

mjxl wrote:
13 May 2019
BRIGGS wrote:
12 May 2019
We can move the cables on the front as well, most of them can be layed so they don't cover the interface !
It was good to discover this, but in the long run, it's a tedious process.

'Cables hidden' mode is fun too, you can automatically 'show cables' by starting a connection from an output jack! Once the connection is made, it automatically goes back to 'cables hidden' mode! ...try it!

Complex-1 is awesome! Money well spent!
r11s

Jackjackdaw

13 May 2019

Definitely interested in this. I think there are a lot of cool modular Re.s already and I would love to see more especially from the well known hardware manufacturers. I suppose people need to vote with their wallets though.

Crumbfort

13 May 2019

Definitely! Would love to see the Mutable Instruments modules in the RE format, for instance. The Noise Engineering REs are awesome, as well.
Descent: Legends of the Dark // Darkeport Productions // The LotR: ACG // Blue Zones (Netflix) // Chef's Table (Netflix)

(Composer for visual media / Adeptus Mechanicus Synthseer)

MannequinRaces

13 May 2019

Forgot to mention Lectric Panda’s PSQ! That one is heavily inspired and is very fun to play with.

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

13 May 2019

Crumbfort wrote:
13 May 2019
Definitely! Would love to see the Mutable Instruments modules in the RE format, for instance. The Noise Engineering REs are awesome, as well.
Not the same, but Robotic Bean's Resonans is using the open source code from Mutable Instruments Rings and expands it. It's neat!

dioxide

13 May 2019

Noise Engineering make RE equivalents of their Eurorack hardware:
https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/bro ... ngineering

dioxide

13 May 2019

There's actually a fair bit of modular focused stuff in the shop. You have to dig a bit deeper though, as a lot of it was released a few years back.
https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... scillator/
https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... scillator/

Boombastix
Competition Winner

13 May 2019

Mattias, with so many REs out now, browsing the PH shop starts to get complicated. Maybe an idea to set up a new RE category for "modular" stuff?
There are already many "single" function devices, tons of RE filters, Blamsofts system etc. I think that could help users find stuff easier if they want a modular system, there is soooo much already to work with, but it is not in clear view of the buyers.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

boingy

13 May 2019

I thought the whole point of Eurorack was to get back to real knobs and tactile cables and to give folks a chance to build themselves a unique synth. Seems a bit odd to wish for it to be back in the virtual world where we have almost unlimited racks of stuff.

DJMaytag

13 May 2019

It’d be nice to have a bit of both.

dvdrtldg

13 May 2019

I'd be very interested in seeing more Eurorack-style RE options, and have a feeling that it's going to happen

This is partly why I'm holding off on buying Complex-1, seems reasonable to expect that over the next little while we might see some very interesting alternatives starting to appear in the shop

MannequinRaces

13 May 2019

boingy wrote:
13 May 2019
I thought the whole point of Eurorack was to get back to real knobs and tactile cables and to give folks a chance to build themselves a unique synth. Seems a bit odd to wish for it to be back in the virtual world where we have almost unlimited racks of stuff.
I think for some of us financially a hardware modular system is out of reach. The next best thing is modular software that’s more affordable. If I had the space and the cash I’d be a modular hardware fanatic. Maybe in another life.

Jackjackdaw

14 May 2019

Even if I had the cash I dont have the space for hardware modular , but as much as I agree that the tactile element of hardware is great, it is the sound design that is really important to me. I love the level of control of modular, and tbh you probably get more flexibility and control using software and it's unlimited resources.

chimp_spanner

14 May 2019

DJMaytag wrote:
12 May 2019
BRIGGS wrote:
12 May 2019
YES!

Well remember, VCV is going full VST at some point. So you’ll be able to run multiple instances with all your downloaded modules. Should be pretty good!

Tbh, while I’m super excited about VCV VST, 9/10 I use the same basic modules, and they’re the same as I have in Complex-1. The only thing I wish it had was a way to randomly play through sequencer steps. But god knows I have enough players and REs to do that so, eh.

OverneathTheSkyBridg

16 May 2019

Here's an idea I've had tumbling around in my brain, maybe in the vein of when Reason gets a UI overhaul. Wouldn't it be cool to be able to see the back of your REs and Reason devices at the same time as the front? Imagine a view that has the front of your REs with a condensed patchbay on the side (think Behringer Neutron or Mother 32), so you're not flipping the rack around constantly and disturbing a workflow that can spin knobs and patch cables at the same time, not to mention also adjust CV trim knobs and other functions I've seen on the back (like The Legend).

O1B

16 May 2019

+1
"Wouldn't it be cool to be able to see the back of your REs and Reason devices at the same time as the front? "

OverneathTheSkyBridg wrote:
16 May 2019
Here's an idea I've had tumbling around in my brain, maybe in the vein of when Reason gets a UI overhaul. Wouldn't it be cool to be able to see the back of your REs and Reason devices at the same time as the front? Imagine a view that has the front of your REs with a condensed patchbay on the side (think Behringer Neutron or Mother 32), so you're not flipping the rack around constantly and disturbing a workflow that can spin knobs and patch cables at the same time, not to mention also adjust CV trim knobs and other functions I've seen on the back (like The Legend).

• Information