Introducing the ES01 Analog Synthesizer (NEW: updated to version 1.1)

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
svenh

07 Mar 2018

I like the sound of it but somehow I get a feeling that it wouldn't be to difficult to get similar sounds out of Predator (which of course can do soooo much more...)

scratchnsnifff

04 Apr 2018

So whoever made this Re needs to make a Re filter unit :) I only trialed this device but I remember the sound of the filter being very impressive
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

ravisoni

07 Apr 2018

scratchnsnifff wrote:
04 Apr 2018
So whoever made this Re needs to make a Re filter unit :) I only trialed this device but I remember the sound of the filter being very impressive
100% agree. I don't have any standalone filters in my collection, except for that free one from a while ago. I would absolutely pay for this beauty.
:reason: Reason 12 | :re: Preset Browser | :refill: Refill Hoarder

scratchnsnifff

08 Apr 2018

ravisoni wrote:
07 Apr 2018
scratchnsnifff wrote:
04 Apr 2018
100% agree. I don't have any standalone filters in my collection, except for that free one from a while ago. I would absolutely pay for this beauty.
right, i have etch red, U-He's Runciter, the primal audio state variable filter, and blamsoft's F-16 filter. (the f-16 is so worth getting at its current price!) if I'm not mistaken the whole polymodular bundle is like 20 some odd bucks!!!! if you consider Eq's filters (in some way they kind of are the same thing as a filter) the Gq-7 and Rob Papen's EQ are great in that category as well. Its fun to make an EQ curve and assign the min/max values in a combinator knob and sweep the parameters as a filter. it can make some crazy sounds if you make the right Q and gain settings :) quick tip!
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

ekss
RE Developer

15 May 2019

ES01 Free update 1.1 is just out!

Last edited by ekss on 15 May 2019, edited 1 time in total.

aeox
Competition Winner

15 May 2019

ekss wrote:
15 May 2019
ES01 Free update 1.1 is just out!

Loque

15 May 2019

Nice update with PWM. Makes it more interesting. The other updates sound interesting too.
Reason12, Win10

ekss
RE Developer

15 May 2019

Full list of new features:

• Added Pulse Width target in mod matrix for VCO and sub oscillator
  • Added Rectangular and PWM waveforms to the sub oscillator
  • Added feet and pitch offset mod targets for the sub oscillator
  • Extended sub oscillator frequency range down to 8Hz
  • Added additional White Noise Generator available through the mixer
  • Added VCF Lag trimmer to backside
  • Fixed sub oscillator phase to match VCO cycles for consistent timbres
  • EG times can now be modulated below their original range using negative values in the mod matrix
  • New Default Patch
  • Added over 100 new patches incorporating the new possibilities of 1.1

diminished
Competition Winner

15 May 2019

That's a 2.0 worthy kind of upgrade. Lovely sound in the video. I don't have the synth yet but I'll seriously consider buying!!
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

Boombastix
Competition Winner

15 May 2019

Nice timing, just before May Madness. Now I got interested. I have the Roland SH-101 VST on trial, but the knobs in the UI are horrible to work with. Maybe the filter in ES01 has as nice character as a bubbly OTA cascade?
Guess I need to trial it...
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

ekss
RE Developer

15 May 2019

Boombastix wrote:
15 May 2019
Nice timing, just before May Madness. Now I got interested. I have the Roland SH-101 VST on trial, but the knobs in the UI are horrible to work with. Maybe the filter in ES01 has as nice character as a bubbly OTA cascade?
Guess I need to trial it...
Yes, please do take it for a trial!

Be aware that the ES01 and SH101 have quite different filters – the one in ES01 does not self resonate like the IR3109 based filter in SH101.
In ES01's original range - and on 12dB setting - the VCF is tuned to match the original hardware VCF-chip (iG02610).
Last edited by ekss on 15 May 2019, edited 1 time in total.

lecafard

15 May 2019

Love the update!!!!

eusti

15 May 2019

Thanks for the update! I have a question though: When I play the even only one note of the patch PW Mini there is part of the sound that never stops... Seems like a bug to me... Not even sure yet what is happening...

Edit: It seems to be happening when (on Mod 2) Velocity is modulating VCA Level above 37.

D.

two shoes

15 May 2019

one of my favorites. thanks for the update!

ekss
RE Developer

15 May 2019

eusti wrote:
15 May 2019
Thanks for the update! I have a question though: When I play the even only one note of the patch PW Mini there is part of the sound that never stops... Seems like a bug to me... Not even sure yet what is happening...

D.
Thanks for reporting! It's an error in my mod matrix programming - Velocity 100 to VCA Level" (Mod page 2) causes the VCA to stay open because the last velocity value is held "in memory". I corrected to Note on instead of Velocity and uploaded the patch here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4b9svgyt63ygt ... patch?dl=0

I'll replace it with the next 1.1.1 update soon!

Please do report any suspicious things you might find! :puf_smile:

eusti

15 May 2019

ekss wrote:
15 May 2019
eusti wrote:
15 May 2019

D.
Thanks for reporting! It's an error in my mod matrix programming - Velocity 100 to VCA Level" (Mod page 2) causes the VCA to stay open because the last velocity value is held "in memory". I corrected to Note on instead of Velocity and uploaded the patch here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4b9svgyt63ygt ... patch?dl=0

I'll replace it with the next 1.1.1 update soon!

Please do report any suspicious things you might find! :puf_smile:
Great! I edited my post and came to the same conclusion. ;)

Will report if I come across anything else. Sounds great though!

D.

HeavyViper

16 May 2019

Really great to see this one still kickin' and getting an update. Thanks for the hard work. :>
Sound Designer and Composer :reason: FM+PSG Chip Sorcerer
https://heavyviper.bandcamp.com

Boombastix
Competition Winner

16 May 2019

Oh, it IS on sale during May Madness - sweet. Perhaps an instabuy for me!

Hey Erik, would you consider to add a SH-101 style 24dB filter?

The clipping diodes in the feedback circuit makes the OTA resonance to sound different from the Jupiter/Juno's, so many consider it to be the best Roland implementation. Not sure but it doesn't seem to peak as much, so the high pitch whistle (self resonance) isn't as intense. Maybe gives you a "wider" resonans as well for that SH-101 sound.
I do not mean to replace the existing 24dB filter, just add another version.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

ekss
RE Developer

17 May 2019

Boombastix wrote:
16 May 2019
Oh, it IS on sale during May Madness - sweet. Perhaps an instabuy for me!

Hey Erik, would you consider to add a SH-101 style 24dB filter?

The clipping diodes in the feedback circuit makes the OTA resonance to sound different from the Jupiter/Juno's, so many consider it to be the best Roland implementation. Not sure but it doesn't seem to peak as much, so the high pitch whistle (self resonance) isn't as intense. Maybe gives you a "wider" resonans as well for that SH-101 sound.
I do not mean to replace the existing 24dB filter, just add another version.
That would be cool, I'll investigate what can be done! :puf_smile:

MannequinRaces

17 May 2019

The update and the slick promo videos got my attention and the sale price opened my wallet. Can’t wait to dive in.

craven

18 May 2019

it does sound sweet! great job!
:ugeek:

teddymcw

19 May 2019

Outstanding synth in many ways imho, just bought, thank you for such great work on this Ekss!

lessera

19 May 2019

Nice synth for sure. Just what I was looking for.

In the era of BIG and complex do-everything-imaginable synths, it is nice to have something with an easy-to-use interface, that I can quickly dial in a useful tone without a lot of fuss.

My new go-to synth for when I want that VA sound.

Nice work!

ekss
RE Developer

20 May 2019

lessera wrote:
19 May 2019
Nice synth for sure. Just what I was looking for.

In the era of BIG and complex do-everything-imaginable synths, it is nice to have something with an easy-to-use interface, that I can quickly dial in a useful tone without a lot of fuss.

My new go-to synth for when I want that VA sound.

Nice work!
Thank you for these kind words! Happy to hear it’s being used!

Feel free to post tracks where you’ve been using ES01 in this thread! :puf_smile:

craven

20 May 2019

I used ES01 for the bass in this demo. Love the fatness of it. <3

:ugeek:

• Information