Omega Trimmer RE

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
antic604

15 May 2019

It's been available in the RE shop for a while already, but I never seen it - looks very useful! :thumbs_up:

https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... a-trimmer/

What I'd like to see in future versions:
- more CV options on the back, especially for cutoffs and gain,
- M/S signal paths and ability to filter them individually

ForgottenClank
RE Developer

15 May 2019

Hi!
I'm the dev in question :)

I opted against CV inputs for two reasons:
- making the place for this device clear: a static trimmer, especially useful for recordings, to balance level and rough frequency content before applying any "real processing" (think EQ, compression, reverb etc.)
- performance (though it would only make a tiny difference)

M/S could be useful but I see that as belonging more in the "actual mixing/mastering" category which I would not put this device into. However just a M/S encoder/decoder could be useful for M/S miking techniques.

antic604

15 May 2019

ForgottenClank wrote:
15 May 2019
Hi!

I opted against CV inputs for two reasons:
- making the place for this device clear: a static trimmer, especially useful for recordings, to balance level and rough frequency content before applying any "real processing" (think EQ, compression, reverb etc.)
- performance (though it would only make a tiny difference)

M/S could be useful but I see that as belonging more in the "actual mixing/mastering" category which I would not put this device into. However just a M/S encoder/decoder could be useful for M/S miking techniques.
I get that, thanks! But typically when I think of Reason devices, they're multi-purpose with additional features available via CV/audio sockets in the back, hence my request. But obviously ultimately it's your decision :)

praznovsky.m
Competition Winner

17 May 2019

Here is my all two hands up for cv in for filter cutoffs.

I used omega in my last song maybe on half instruments to trim lows and highs, but i used it too like highpass/ lowpass filter. I think that external modulation could make it really great creative unit.
Nevermind, i think i will use omega even without this cv slots, but it would be great.

NDKay

12 Jun 2020

This is a great device !

I came here to ask the same.... for CV inputs. :lol:
and another thing: 2 Knobs, one for the low- and one for the high-Trimmer. .....since i´m used to them from every other device.
( while the knobs would be a nice addition, the CV inputs would be more than great)

But i understand the dev, especially since this is a free device !

So thank you for the device like it is ! :thumbs_up:
This is a SmartAss. Really nothing more than that !

ForgottenClank
RE Developer

12 Jun 2020

NDKay wrote:
12 Jun 2020
I came here to ask the same.... for CV inputs. :lol:
and another thing: 2 Knobs, one for the low- and one for the high-Trimmer. .....since i´m used to them from every other device.
( while the knobs would be a nice addition, the CV inputs would be more than great)
I can confirm that since so many people requested it, CV inputs will be added in the next update (no release window yet) along with other additions. What do you mean by low and high trimmer?

NDKay

13 Jun 2020

ForgottenClank wrote:
12 Jun 2020

I can confirm that since so many people requested it, CV inputs will be added in the next update (no release window yet) along with other additions. What do you mean by low and high trimmer?

Great ! :thumbs_up:

I meant the lowpass and highpass.

I wrote "trimmer" because of the following statement of yours in an earlier post. I tried to stay in your "Vision" of that device and maybe be a bit of "funny" on the way. Sorry for the confusion, that was definitely not intended.
ForgottenClank wrote:
15 May 2019
This is a SmartAss. Really nothing more than that !

ForgottenClank
RE Developer

13 Jun 2020

NDKay wrote:
13 Jun 2020
I'm still not following. Do you mean resonance controls?

NDKay

13 Jun 2020

ForgottenClank wrote:
13 Jun 2020
NDKay wrote:
13 Jun 2020
I'm still not following. Do you mean resonance controls?
No, please take a look at this fast montage i made of your device.
Omega_Trimmer_HP-LP-KNOBS.png
Omega_Trimmer_HP-LP-KNOBS.png (65.51 KiB) Viewed 1500 times
Maybe it is more confusing because of the LP and HP already beeing automatable through the (Hz-)displays and the knobs would be more of an "aesthetic treatment".
( thats what i meant with "nice addition" in my upper post)

PS: I dont know if posting this is ok. Just gimme a sign and i take (my montage) pic down again, not to spread more confusion.

edit: or to better stay in line with signal flow i reworked my montage again
Omega_Trimmer_HP-LP-KNOBS 2.png
Omega_Trimmer_HP-LP-KNOBS 2.png (63.83 KiB) Viewed 1491 times

ForgottenClank
RE Developer

13 Jun 2020

NDKay wrote:
13 Jun 2020
No, please take a look at this fast montage i made of your device.
Omega_Trimmer_HP-LP-KNOBS.png

Maybe it is more confusing because of the LP and HP already beeing automatable through the (Hz-)displays and the knobs would be more of an "aesthetic treatment".
( thats what i meant with "nice addition" in my upper post)
Ah, now I understand. I'll think about it, thanks for the suggestion
NDKay wrote:
13 Jun 2020
PS: I dont know if posting this is ok. Just gimme a sign and i take (my montage) pic down again, not to spread more confusion.
No worries, all good.

veezay
RE Developer

21 Jan 2021

ForgottenClank wrote:
15 May 2019
Hi!
Hello there! Nice and useful little device, especially with the steep filter slopes.

I stumbled upon a small issue with the silence detection. When using the lowpass filter with a low cutoff and the inputs go completely silent, the outputs go silent at the same time as well, which results in a small pop in the output - probably because the filter doesn't have time to settle to zero before it stops rendering audio. The pop disappeared completely when I also fed the device a really quiet signal along with any audible signal, so it never stopped rendering. Not a huge thing but I thought I'd mention. I'm on version 1.0.2.

Cheers!

ForgottenClank
RE Developer

21 Jan 2021

veezay wrote:
21 Jan 2021
Hello there! Nice and useful little device, especially with the steep filter slopes.

I stumbled upon a small issue with the silence detection. When using the lowpass filter with a low cutoff and the inputs go completely silent, the outputs go silent at the same time as well, which results in a small pop in the output - probably because the filter doesn't have time to settle to zero before it stops rendering audio. The pop disappeared completely when I also fed the device a really quiet signal along with any audible signal, so it never stopped rendering. Not a huge thing but I thought I'd mention. I'm on version 1.0.2.

Cheers!
Thanks for bringing that up! I am aware of that and if I'm not mistaken there's also an issue with the gain control not applying smoothing. Both of these things will be fixed along with added features in the new version. Sadly, I have yet to find some time to implement everything so it might take some more time. I am aiming for some time in February, though.

• Information