Adaptive Grid

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Snowy Fox

14 May 2019

Hi! I'm new here, so first off, greetings all. I only just recently hopped all the way from Reason 7 to Reason 10, and while it's great to have so many new instruments and other devices to play with, a few things about its graphic design and quality of life improvements are honestly really bothering me.

The main thing, though, is this: does anyone else find the adaptive grid really annoying? I don't have the adaptive snap turned on, and yet at the zoom level I've always found most comfortable to work in, both in edit mode and in the main sequencer view, Reason feels the need to only display the grid at half the resolution of what I'm actually working in. It's making placing notes more fiddly, rather than less, as, visually speaking, I only have half a grid, and I'm having to eyeball more.

Sure, I can zoom in, but the sequencer now never looks right to me, and I'm constantly having to scroll back and forth on any track clip that's eight bars long or more - and I have a tendency to make a lot of clips of that length.

Is this a nitpick? Probably. Can I get used to it? Eventually. But I'm curious as to whether anyone else finds Reason's new dynamic grid system annoying, or even if there's a way of turning it off.

(Frankly, I wish all of its new features came with its own off button. Some of them are helpful, but most of them are just making me feel like Reason's getting steadily more and more cluttered to look at. Features are great. Options are better.)

diminished
Competition Winner

14 May 2019

Snowy Fox wrote:
14 May 2019
Hi! I'm new here, so first off, greetings all. I only just recently hopped all the way from Reason 7 to Reason 10, and while it's great to have so many new instruments and other devices to play with, a few things about its graphic design and quality of life improvements are honestly really bothering me.

The main thing, though, is this: does anyone else find the adaptive grid really annoying? I don't have the adaptive snap turned on, and yet at the zoom level I've always found most comfortable to work in, both in edit mode and in the main sequencer view, Reason feels the need to only display the grid at half the resolution of what I'm actually working in. It's making placing notes more fiddly, rather than less, as, visually speaking, I only have half a grid, and I'm having to eyeball more.

Sure, I can zoom in, but the sequencer now never looks right to me, and I'm constantly having to scroll back and forth on any track clip that's eight bars long or more - and I have a tendency to make a lot of clips of that length.

Is this a nitpick? Probably. Can I get used to it? Eventually. But I'm curious as to whether anyone else finds Reason's new dynamic grid system annoying, or even if there's a way of turning it off.

(Frankly, I wish all of its new features came with its own off button. Some of them are helpful, but most of them are just making me feel like Reason's getting steadily more and more cluttered to look at. Features are great. Options are better.)
I don't like the adaptive grid either, it's never fine enough for the zoom level I'm in and if that's the point you're making, I never know where I'm actually at, position-wise. Sure, the numbers change but I have a really hard time "seeing" the groove I'm drawing in if you know what I mean.
My workaround is to set my customized template file to 1/16 which is fine and coarse enough for arranging and cutting while looking at a whole 3min song.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

KGB

14 May 2019

I love adaptive grid. It's helped my workflow a bunch.

zoidkirb

14 May 2019

The thing I dislike is if I've (for example) zoomed into to 1/4 beat resolution and cut a sequencer clip off somewhere in the middle of a bar, and then later I'm zoomed out to bar resolution, if I highlight that clip and press ctrl-d, instead of the new clip appearing adjacent to the original clip, it appears at the next available bar (and additional copies are similarly spaced out) . I'd like ctrl-d to be able to create the new clip copies butted up to each other, no matter what zoom level I'm at. I hope that makes sense, and maybe someone has a simple workaround for that scenario.

antic604

15 May 2019

I love it! But if you don't, then simply turn it off.

Loque

15 May 2019

I am biased. Sometimes it helps and sometimes i don't have a clue what the grid shows and i switch to manually grid. Reason still cannot read my mind...
Reason12, Win10

OverneathTheSkyBridg

15 May 2019

I dont mind the adaptive grid for the most part, but I wish there was shortcut keys to increase or decrease the resolution at will. This would be better imho. In keeping with their QWERTY key shortcuts, I'd suggest A and Z for upping and lowering the resolution.

Jackjackdaw

15 May 2019

I know there is something I hate about using the sequencer, in Reason that I haven't noticed in other DAWs, couldnt put my finger on it. Maybe it's this? I will try switching it off.

WongoTheSane

15 May 2019

I love it. It's always on here. So much easier to zoom than to go change the resolution manually.

Snowy Fox

08 Jun 2019

Oh damn, there are actually a lot of responses on this. Thanks guys! I need to figure out how to turn email notifications on, clearly.

antic604 wrote:
15 May 2019
I love it! But if you don't, then simply turn it off.
I would love to. I can see how to turn adaptive snap on and off, and I leave that set to manual. But the grid continues to do its own thing and never presents itself in a way that I find comfortable. I always wind up needing to either zoom way in or place blocks and notes onto a grid that's visually sparser than it functionally is.

OverneathTheSkyBridg wrote:
15 May 2019
I dont mind the adaptive grid for the most part, but I wish there was shortcut keys to increase or decrease the resolution at will. This would be better imho. In keeping with their QWERTY key shortcuts, I'd suggest A and Z for upping and lowering the resolution.
This. No software is able to replicate what the user wants with 100% accuracy - this is why dynamic features like the adaptive grid should always come with manual overrides. Imagine buying a professional camera with automatic focus, and no way of setting it manually - that's the problem I'm having here. Reason's trying to be helpful, but I, the user, am just sat here going "no... Reason... stahp. Let me... no, let ME... goddammit."

Again, options are king. Having new stuff is great, Propellerhead - now can we choose which bits of it we want to have and which ones we don't? The whole GUI used to look so sleek, but now it's a cluttered mess.

• Information