Softube Console 1 as MIDI controller for the SSL mixer

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Ahornberg

17 Nov 2018

tobypearce wrote: ↑
17 Nov 2018
I have a couple of questions about using Console 1 in Reason.

I have it, and it's really excellent to be able to mix hands on. So far I have only used it as intended: to control the vst insert effects on each channel. I can see the wider possibilities, so I'm wondering:

1. When you install console 1 as a control surface in Reason (i.e. with the custom mapping in this thread), can you still use as an insert effect in the intended way? How does it switch between the two?

I'm looking forward to diving into this but I don't want to break anything and cause trouble for the way console 1 is working right now!!

2. I'm wondering whether a simplified version of the custom mapping might be possible, for example:
Keep most things within console one but have console 1 control volume and pan on Reason's mixer?
There is no simple switch between using the Console 1 hardware as a MIDI controller and as a dedicated hardware for the Console 1 VST. I'm on WIndows and there's an app called "Console 1 Screen Display" provided by Softube that usually loads at Windows startup and turns the hardware controller in VST mode. I set this app to start manually and so by default I'm in MIDI mode to control Reason's mixer. And by starting the app and unplugging/re-plugging the hardware I can go in VST mode if I like. Switching back to MIDI mode is done by killing the app in the Windows task manager and unplugging/re-plugging the hardware. I didn't find a way to use the hardware for both Reason's mixer and Softube's Console 1 VST at the same time. Only Softube could make that happen by updating their software but they told me they are not interested in this feature. Feel free to contact Softube to show them there's one more user who wants a better DAW integration for Reason.

tobypearce

18 Nov 2018

Thanks Ahomberg.

It sounds like it's kind of an either or situation - not possible to switch back and forwards multiple times easily.

I'm really enjoying using the console as is so I think I'll stick with that.

And on the subject, I can't believe what a difference it made even to my first mix down using Console1. Whether it's the sound of the emulation itself, the focus created by just using the console and working just in mixing mode with a small number of options available (no trying one compressor, almost immediately imagining that another would be better and swapping to that), or using hands rather than a mouse pointer, or maybe a combination of all these - something's making a big difference and I'm so happy with my first real mix with this thing.
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

alexsandor

14 Mar 2019

My Console 1 will be here tomorrow, so I thought I'd join the thread here. I also registered with PH as a Remote dev in order to try and piece some codec(s) together. I honestly can't see the sense in hardware manufacturers *not* putting out a codec for as many DAWs as they can - even if they're somewhat basic. Make it as usable as your hardware + each DAW will allow for, and state clearly what it can & cannot do. Soooooo many controllers out there that are just... "floating" around in codec purgatory. :cry:

Anyhow, anything I can contribute, I'll post here.

Ahornberg

14 Mar 2019

alexsandor wrote: ↑
14 Mar 2019
My Console 1 will be here tomorrow, so I thought I'd join the thread here. I also registered with PH as a Remote dev in order to try and piece some codec(s) together. I honestly can't see the sense in hardware manufacturers *not* putting out a codec for as many DAWs as they can - even if they're somewhat basic. Make it as usable as your hardware + each DAW will allow for, and state clearly what it can & cannot do. Soooooo many controllers out there that are just... "floating" around in codec purgatory. :cry:

Anyhow, anything I can contribute, I'll post here.
Fine to hear that. I often thought of extending my Remote script for other devices but the Reason mixer channel strip but I never found the time to do it.

Three years ago I mailed Softube and aked about making a Codec or a DAW integration into Reason and the answer was just the following one-liner:

"Currently there are no such plans. Thank you for your interest!"

Then I started writing my own codec.

alexsandor

15 Mar 2019

I hear you! I've gotten pretty much the same canned replies to any emails I've sent to manufacturers about codecs. I've acquired a decent number of controllers along the way, on my search for something at least halfway usable - a Nektar P6, Presonus Faderport, Behringer X-Touch Mini, and now the Console 1. I do have to say, though - I really don't know where Propellerhead's head is at, sometimes. I've been using their software since version 4, and their MCU codec is so broken, I honestly can't blame manufacturers from steering clear of even bothering with Reason support. I still use Reason for some of the initial bits of the creative process, but then it's Rewired straight into Studio One 4, where I can actually use my controllers.. 🀨

Ahornberg

16 Mar 2019

15 Mar 2019
[...] I still use Reason for some of the initial bits of the creative process, but then it's Rewired straight into Studio One 4, where I can actually use my controllers.. 🀨
If Rewire works fine for you, just stay on your workflow. Console 1 integrates well into Studio One.

alexsandor

16 Mar 2019

It's not ideal, but it's the best solution I've come across, thus far.

Wow, I really like this Console 1. I just saw that you've been working on bridging it with Reason, as well - looking forward to giving it a spin! All my whining may end up having been for naught! πŸ˜­πŸ˜‚

alexsandor

21 Mar 2019

Ahornberg wrote: ↑
16 Mar 2019
15 Mar 2019
If Rewire works fine for you, just stay on your workflow. Console 1 integrates well into Studio One.
Ahornberg - I want to try working on a Console 1 codec and mapping - is the file you posted on page 2 of this thread your most recent version?

Thanks!

Alex

Ahornberg

21 Mar 2019

21 Mar 2019

Ahornberg - I want to try working on a Console 1 codec and mapping - is the file you posted on page 2 of this thread your most recent version?

Thanks!

Alex
Here are the files I actually use:
Attachments
Remote.zip
(22.28 KiB) Downloaded 201 times

alexsandor

21 Mar 2019

Much thanks, Ahorn! I'll post whatever I come up with.

Alex

Ahornberg

21 Mar 2019

21 Mar 2019
Much thanks, Ahorn! I'll post whatever I come up with.

Alex
:thumbs_up:

alexsandor

21 Mar 2019

Can anyone confirm that Ahorn's codec is working with Reason 10.2(current)? I'm on Windows 10, and my Console 1 is the MKII version. It does not seem to be a communication issue, as the control surface gets a green check in Preferences, and when I manually go to assign a Remote Override to a knob/button using the "Learn from control surface input" option, each of the Console 1's knobs/buttons are sending CC data. It just does not auto map.

Ahornberg

21 Mar 2019

21 Mar 2019
Can anyone confirm that Ahorn's codec is working with Reason 10.2(current)? I'm on Windows 10, and my Console 1 is the MKII version. It does not seem to be a communication issue, as the control surface gets a green check in Preferences, and when I manually go to assign a Remote Override to a knob/button using the "Learn from control surface input" option, each of the Console 1's knobs/buttons are sending CC data. It just does not auto map.
In the Rack, you have to click on the tiny little arrow on the left side of the track to select it for the Console 1 controller. The arrow has to turn from blue to grey like in the picture. Unfortunately there's no way to select a track in the Mixer.
selecttrack.jpg
selecttrack.jpg (27.91 KiB) Viewed 31944 times

alexsandor

21 Mar 2019

Ahhhh, that did it. Huh. I was under the impression that selecting the device track in the seq is directly linked with, and interchangeable with selecting the device in the rack - but I just noticed that selecting in the seq doesn't select the mix channel in the rack, but the device itself. Cheers!

Ahornberg

21 Mar 2019

21 Mar 2019
Ahhhh, that did it. Huh. I was under the impression that selecting the device track in the seq is directly linked with, and interchangeable with selecting the device in the rack - but I just noticed that selecting in the seq doesn't select the mix channel in the rack, but the device itself. Cheers!
Yes, that's an inconsistency inside Reason, I don't really understand. But "mixing in the rack" with Console 1 becomes familiar quite quick.

So, happy mixing! :puf_smile:

alexsandor

21 Mar 2019

Most definitely! I really appreciate the time and effort you put into it, and for sharing it with us! Like I said, I'll update here if I expand anything noteworty - but out of the box, it feels great! :thumbs_up: :cool:

Eurikon

11 May 2019

Hi Ahomberg,
i just found out about this thread.
Glad i found it.
One of my biggest whishes when getting the C1 was to control the Reason mixer with it.
So now apparently i can! :D
Is the file attached to the quoted post the most recent finished file?

Or is the most recent finished file the one in a post on page 3?

nb: did anyone manage to add track select as suggested in another post could be done?

Thanks for the work and effort!

20 Feb 2016
I made some changes to my codec and remotemap.

The biggest one is that I mapped both buttons of the compressor (peak and fast) to the attack knob.
So all 4 possible combinations of these 2 buttons are now on one knob and so actually one knob is unused.
To get this done I signed up as a developer at PH to get the documentation for remotemaps and codecs.

The input meter display I routed to the FX in and FX out meters of the channel strip.
So I can switch the insert before dynamics and eq to get an input gain level on the controller.

Feel free to download and use the codec and remotemap.
β˜… --------------------------------------- β˜…
β™« https://www.youtube.com/c/Eurikon β™«
β™« https://eurikon.bandcamp.com β™«
β™« https://instagram.com/eurikon_music β™«

Ahornberg

11 May 2019

nrg wrote: ↑
11 May 2019
Yes, the newest file is the most recent finished one.

Eurikon

11 May 2019

11 May 2019
11 May 2019
@Ahomberg just to be sure, you mean the one of 21 March , right?

Ahornberg

11 May 2019

11 May 2019
11 May 2019

@Ahomberg just to be sure, you mean the one of 21 March , right?
Yes!

Eurikon

11 May 2019

Well i been playing with it for a little bit, don't have so much time right now.
But i can already say that i am very very happy with this solution! (Reason 10.3)
:D
Thank you very much for your effort in creating this!
Will be used on my coming projects that are at mix down stage.

Eurikon

14 May 2019

Hi Ahomberg,
would it be possible to add the channel EQ Spectrum Window button?
perhaps to shift + EQ on?

11 May 2019
Yes!

Ahornberg

14 May 2019

14 May 2019
Hi Ahomberg,

11 May 2019
Yes!
I'm sorry, this is not possible because the Reason Remote Codec doesn't support the channel EQ Spectrum Window button.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

14 May 2019

14 May 2019
14 May 2019
Hi Ahomberg,

I'm sorry, this is not possible because the Reason Remote Codec doesn't support the channel EQ Spectrum Window button.
You don't need to add the button. I have it on follow selected track, just have this set up and it will follow. When you hit f2, it will bring the eq spectrum window with the active channel already on context.

Ahornberg

14 May 2019

mcatalao wrote: ↑
14 May 2019
14 May 2019

You don't need to add the button. I have it on follow selected track, just have this set up and it will follow. When you hit f2, it will bring the eq spectrum window with the active channel already on context.
That's right. I also use F2.

• Information