Players Vs Their Non-Player Predecessors

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
MannequinRaces

13 May 2019

For those of you who, for example, own Propulsion and Korde did you also buy Kompulsion? Same with Euclid Rhythm Generator and Eucledian Rhythms? I think Players have some major advantages over REs but am having trouble stomaching the idea that I’ll be paying for something I already sorta own just in a different format, lol. I am also aware of CV Player Tap but feel that the Player versions are superior to the RE versions. What are your thoughts on this? Did any of you say ‘I’m not buying a Player of something I already own!’ ? Did any of you say ‘I gotta have the new Player instead of this dusty old RE with its CV leanings!’ ?
Last edited by MannequinRaces on 13 May 2019, edited 1 time in total.

Tweak

13 May 2019

My personal take:

Before player versions of Korde/Euclid and the CV player tap existed, I was having to come up with nasty mangled routing to make some of what I wanted to do possible. This worked, but it inevitably involved adding combinators around devices I otherwise didn't want to combine. This meant I couldn't combine things as I really wanted, and it led to massive additional complexity and CPU usage, not something to be sniffed at pre Reason 10.3. Now 10.3 is out, this is much less important, and the workflow is much slicker with players and cv taps around. It was costly buying additional versions of these, and I still find uses for the older RE devices too, but I wouldn't go back.

MannequinRaces

13 May 2019

Thanks for replying. Out of curiosity what uses do you still find for the older RE devices?

guitfnky

13 May 2019

I have Propulsion, but decided not to get Kompulsion, because it doesn’t allow you to shift the timing of each note lane with CV the way Propulsion does. if it could do that, I’d have bought it.

it really depends what you need it for. the Players have some pros over the normal rack devices, but they’re not without cons. I’d say if the rack device versions are doing what you need, without needing too much unwieldy patching, save yourself some money and use what you have.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Soeno

13 May 2019

it is like old useless 32 bit vst's, you can upgrade or in this case, switch to the newer versions, i'll update the synthetic Rig maybe

MannequinRaces

13 May 2019

Thanks for the reply guitfnky. I would rather spend money on things I don’t already have. :) Guess I really need to sit down and compare the different versions side by side feature wise and decide if I really need a certain feature.

MannequinRaces

13 May 2019

Soeno wrote:
13 May 2019
it is like old useless 32 bit vst's, you can upgrade or in this case, switch to the newer versions, i'll update the synthetic Rig maybe
I am considering updating the synthetic rig. The week before it came out I purchased Super Audio Cart so I’m kinda waiting to see if the Players go on sale for May Madness and if that works out cheaper than upgrading to the Synthetic Rig 4.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

13 May 2019

Got all three Lectric REs and Kompulsion does make things easier.
I’ve got Euclid, Euclidean Rhythms and Step Note 2 but don’t think I’ll get Sequences (even though it looks cool I don’t think it offers me much by way of extra functionality seeing as how I’ve already got the other 3). I am glad I’ve got Euclidean Rhythms and Step2.
I hear you though on the Player thing. Is it worth it? I don’t know. I really don’t. Personally...Lectric yes. Bean, still pondering.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MannequinRaces

13 May 2019

MrFigg wrote:
13 May 2019
Got all three Lectric REs and Kompulsion does make things easier.
I’ve got Euclid, Euclidean Rhythms and Step Note 2 but don’t think I’ll get Sequences (even though it looks cool I don’t think it offers me much by way of extra functionality seeing as how I’ve already got the other 3). I am glad I’ve got Euclidean Rhythms and Step2.
I hear you though on the Player thing. Is it worth it? I don’t know. I really don’t. Personally...Lectric yes. Bean, still pondering.
Thanks for your input and replying MrFigg. I'm leaning towards getting Kompulsion. Haven't tried it yet but I think it would be much easier to feed it MIDI for the arp mode rather than drawing in notes in the sequencer for the Korde RE. Either way I love all of the Panda's offerings to the Reason rack.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

13 May 2019

Me too :). He’s a creator of good things. As is Robotic Bean. As regards Sequences, I still haven’t scratched the surface with Step and Euclidean Rhythms otherwise I would have jumped at it. I’ll wait a bit but I will pretty likely get it eventually.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MannequinRaces

13 May 2019

joeyluck wrote:
13 May 2019
The title confused me at first because Players are REs :)

Maybe "Players vs. non-Player REs"?
That sounds even more confusing tbh, lol. You can search for Players and REs separately in the shop! :)

joeyluck

13 May 2019

MannequinRaces wrote:
13 May 2019
joeyluck wrote:
13 May 2019
The title confused me at first because Players are REs :)

Maybe "Players vs. non-Player REs"?
That sounds even more confusing tbh, lol. You can search for Players and REs separately in the shop! :)
You must mean instruments, effects, players, and sound libraries?

They are listed as REs, because they are REs, built with the RE SDK. Browsing by Rack Extensions:
https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/bro ... extensions

Available formats are: Bundles, Rack Extensions, ReFills, and VST

MannequinRaces

13 May 2019

Ah yes, that’s what I meant. Your title does sound better, lol. :) The title has been changed! Hallelujah.

joeyluck

13 May 2019

MannequinRaces wrote:
13 May 2019
Ah yes, that’s what I meant. Your title does sound better, lol. :) The title has been changed! Hallelujah.
It's perfect :D

Boombastix
Competition Winner

13 May 2019

guitfnky wrote:
13 May 2019
I have Propulsion, but decided not to get Kompulsion, because it doesn’t allow you to shift the timing of each note lane with CV the way Propulsion does. if it could do that, I’d have bought it.
The reason why I stopped using Kompulsion... I wish they would add a "Drum" mode to the Seq and Arp modes, so there is a way to slide notes. I can live with a smaller feature set in drum mode, but sliding (+/-) notes is like one of the most important features from drum programming. It was not clear this was omitted from Kompulsion as it has been kinda marketed as a combination of the two CV devices. The PH Drum Seq does this, but then you have to deal with only 8 note lanes and half the length.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

guitfnky

13 May 2019

Boombastix wrote:
13 May 2019
guitfnky wrote:
13 May 2019
The reason why I stopped using Kompulsion... I wish they would add a "Drum" mode to the Seq and Arp modes, so there is a way to slide notes. I can live with a smaller feature set in drum mode, but sliding (+/-) notes is like one of the most important features from drum programming. It was not clear this was omitted from Kompulsion as it has been kinda marketed as a combination of the two CV devices. The PH Drum Seq does this, but then you have to deal with only 8 note lanes and half the length.
yeah, the slide feature (and being able to automate on a per-lane basis with CV) was the selling point for Propulsion, for me. I asked Lectric Panda about adding it to Kompulsion, after they announced, and it sounded like it was something they were considering, but guess it wasn’t feasible. I agree, that’s a pretty important thing for drum programming.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 May 2019

Anybody think we’ll see a combination of Fritz and Torsion as Player? Don’t know how that would work or what it would do but putting REs together in the Player format seems to be the trend these days.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Data_Shrine

19 May 2019

Pay twice for basically the same thing...

Every time I use or try a new sequencer re or player, i find so many shortcomings compared to, say, the good old Redrum. I just don't get it anymore x_x

MannequinRaces

19 May 2019

MrFigg wrote:
19 May 2019
Anybody think we’ll see a combination of Fritz and Torsion as Player? Don’t know how that would work or what it would do but putting REs together in the Player format seems to be the trend these days.
Fritz mangles audio and Torsion mangles samples so no. Players, so far, are only for converting CV to MIDI data or doing things with MIDI data. No audio or sample manipulation whatsoever.

MannequinRaces

19 May 2019

Data_Shrine wrote:
19 May 2019

Every time I use or try a new sequencer re or player, i find so many shortcomings compared to, say, the good old Redrum. I just don't get it anymore x_x
I bought Kompulsion on sale and absolutely LOVE it.

Data_Shrine

23 May 2019

MannequinRaces wrote:
19 May 2019
Data_Shrine wrote:
19 May 2019

That's cool, all I ask is to love Propulsion (don't have Kompulsion). But I don't get what it can do so differently from Redrum. Is it only about having a different workflow/interface ? I know the interface/workflow can really alter results, but so far, nothing from me. I guess I should RTFM. X_X

MannequinRaces

24 May 2019

Data_Shrine wrote:
23 May 2019
MannequinRaces wrote:
19 May 2019

That's cool, all I ask is to love Propulsion (don't have Kompulsion). But I don't get what it can do so differently from Redrum. Is it only about having a different workflow/interface ? I know the interface/workflow can really alter results, but so far, nothing from me. I guess I should RTFM. X_X
You could benefit from reading the manual. Propulsion is great also! Propulsion is like having 16 independent sequencers in one device. It opens up a lot of sequencing options that just aren't there with Redrum. Each sequence can be a different length and the playback speed for each sequence can be different. Dive in and explore, there's almost no way you won't come up with something cool.

• Information