Base a block on another block

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
mashers

12 May 2019

In a scenario where I add clips to Block 1, can I configure Block 2 to be based on Block 1, so that Block 1's clips will show up ghosted in Block 2, and I can add clips over the top in Block 2 to override these, like in song mode?

pushedbutton

12 May 2019

nope
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

mashers

12 May 2019

Damn. That would be an amazing feature if you could.

pushedbutton

12 May 2019

imagine if clips worked like blocks.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Bloma

13 May 2019

I reckon being able to stack blocks would be awesome.

mashers

13 May 2019

Bloma wrote:
13 May 2019
This would work too. Have your “base” block, then stack another one on top, which would override clips on the same sequencer lanes, and the resulting clips would all be shown ghosted on the sequencer. This would make blocks considerably more powerful.

boingy

13 May 2019

I've never really got on with blocks and I can't quite say why. It feels like I spend more time with them than I save. I don't think I need to stack one block on another to get that override thing but I could definitely use a second lane of blocks so I could keep the drums/perc separate from the tuned instruments.

But then that might make it too complicated!

sonicbyte

13 May 2019

mashers wrote:
13 May 2019
Bloma wrote:
13 May 2019
This would work too. Have your “base” block, then stack another one on top, which would override clips on the same sequencer lanes, and the resulting clips would all be shown ghosted on the sequencer. This would make blocks considerably more powerful.
Yep, thats the way it suppose to work, you simply set the base block and modify it "on the fly" with normal lanes or clips.

Bloma

13 May 2019

sonicbyte wrote:
13 May 2019
mashers wrote:
13 May 2019

Yep, thats the way it suppose to work, you simply set the base block and modify it "on the fly" with normal lanes or clips.
That's what I do, and draw blank clips over sections I want muted. But I think OP wanted a way to draw a block over another block, so the overlapping parts would be played by the block that was put on top, and the remaining parts would play as usual. Personally I'd love to have multiple lanes for blocks. Would be cool for live looping as well.

Vesterager

14 May 2019

pushedbutton wrote:
12 May 2019
imagine if clips worked like blocks.
nice :o

• Information