Sequences from Robotic Bean - 1.3 is out!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
EdGrip

09 May 2019

This looks great fun!
Just wanted to say - I really like your house font, @buddard - and your design and visual language in general. Even Time Slider looks amazing. :D

geronimo

09 May 2019

With surprise, I am more comfortable with Sequences as with the other Players: the controls seem to me well chosen, even if possibilities exist.

Be careful not to overdo Sequences too complex.

Re8et
Competition Winner

09 May 2019

xbitz wrote:
08 May 2019
I know it's not possible but I'd like to see a device which able to play back complete Blocks next :) that would be something :mrgreen:
--
not tried so just wondering/asking the compatibility with JammeR Loops Trigger Module clip launcher can be solved somehow, would be nice if we able to trigger both audio and MIDI clips ... from the rack
triggering blocks from the rack would be awesome, but if the device is contained in one block, presumably, changing block it would get a sort of feedback loop?? I see there's some problems there... :exclamation:

buddard
RE Developer

09 May 2019

EdGrip wrote:
09 May 2019
This looks great fun!
Just wanted to say - I really like your house font, @buddard - and your design and visual language in general. Even Time Slider looks amazing. :D
Thanks, but the credit for the new look should go to Erik Söderberg who did all the graphics and typography for Resonans and onwards. And he's also heavily involved in the product design, of course. :)

buddard
RE Developer

09 May 2019

geronimo wrote:
09 May 2019
With surprise, I am more comfortable with Sequences as with the other Players: the controls seem to me well chosen, even if possibilities exist.

Be careful not to overdo Sequences too complex.
Yes, most of the new functionality will go into the empty lane slots or the tools menu!

MrFigg
Competition Winner

09 May 2019

I really got to try this now. Since yesterday I've been messing with Euclidean Rhythms and Step 2/ CVPT on multiple instances of Europa and I'm starting to believe that Sequences may be something for me after all :). Trial in progress.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Creativemind

09 May 2019

buddard wrote:
08 May 2019
Creativemind wrote:
08 May 2019

Great thanks.

It doesn't seem to be doing it now but holding down shift seemed to either add reverb or lengthen the notes, is that right? (tryna find it in the manual.)
If you're using Reason's on-screen keyboard, then Shift will activate the "sustain pedal". This one tripped us up many times during development! :D
Ahhh yes, I was trialling on my laptop (using on-screen piano keys.)

Thanks, I know what was happening now.

I also now know why it wasn't happening on my desktop computer using my midi controller and made me think I was going mad.

:-)
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

09 May 2019

chimp_spanner wrote:
08 May 2019
And laaaaaastly...maybe a tall ask but, an option for 64 steps would be killer, and the editor could either scroll to or flip to a second page of notes.
One of the things I needed almost instantly was 64 steps. I had a 16 bar pattern. I managed to work around it by using 2 patterns (the 2nd 1 for the other 8 bars) and automated the pattern (which Is really easy) in the sequencer.

I also think a patch browser would be useful and was wanting to ask...

Can you change the grid resolutuon? I needed to put a note in between where the grid resolutuon was currently set to if you get me and...

Would it be possible to get ctrl a to work to select all in the currently selected pattern in a future release?

Sorry Chimp those questions were for Buddard add obviously. :-)

Creativemind

09 May 2019

antic604 wrote:
08 May 2019
Loque wrote:
08 May 2019
...I am currently thinking about what this gives me...
Ghost / alias clips! :)
Yes, it's what I've used it for really so far. Just limited to 8 bars (32 steps) when 64 steps would be very useful but I have stated above, you can use 2 patterns and automate the patterns on in the sequencer. ;-)

emilng

09 May 2019

I almost missed this with the flood of Superbooth news :)

I'm looking forward to trying this out tonight!

One thing I've been missing that I hope this solves is the ability to create generative note sequences based off of chord progressions.
mostly modular experiments: https://www.youtube.com/user/maztik8r

CloudsOfSound

09 May 2019

Immediate purchase!
This is kinda like working in the "Step Recorder" in Studio One 4, but with more features and better aesthetics!
This is a much needed addition to Reason IMHO, and should have been part of the package! 👍

Combined with the Quad Note Generator or Eucledian Rhythms it's a really fun way to create some sound!

€39 introductory price is well worth it!
:reason: Reason 10 running on  MacBook Pro 16" 2019
(6-Core Intel Core i7 / AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4GB / 16GB RAM)
macOS Catalina v.10.15.2
Software Developer and Wannabe Musician

Boombastix
Competition Winner

09 May 2019

I have yet to trial this (looks like a very nice unit!), but from what I can see, you really want a device like this to cover 4 bars. But that would mean you get stuck with a 1/8 resolution.
Some thoughts:

A) There really should be a way to put in 1/16ths when working on 4 bars. Even if that means you put in a note on the 1/8 grid, but use a "future" function to slide that note (grid position) back or forth 1/16. Not ideal, but if making it 64 step is impossible. Or, alternatively add a button to make it a choice 32 or 64 step so 4 bars with 16ths is possible.
B) Are you considering to add a per step strum function? That would be great. Also if you can adjust strum velocity and not just position Two ways ascending velocity, descending velocity. Also have at least two types of strum spread functions so it not just linear, but one mode that is a bit more 'organic'.
C) Would also be nice if the strum can be spread three ways. 1. Strum happens before the step (i.e. last note falls on the step), 2. Strum spreads equally before/after the step, 3. Strum happens after the step (i.e. first note falls on the step).
D) Item 'C' could of course be handled with a per step slide function, and that is probably a better solution.
E) Is there a way to put a few steps on a triplet grid? (Guys, we gotta get funky! Not just basic EDM :lol: )
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

BRIGGS

09 May 2019

No can double click to draw notes on windows 10...more like 6 or 7 clicks, just to draw one note. :(
r11s

steff3

10 May 2019

BRIGGS wrote:
09 May 2019
No can double click to draw notes on windows 10...more like 6 or 7 clicks, just to draw one note. :(
yes, but CTRL-click works.

for velocity editing it is a bit inconvenient that you have to select the note before you can edit ... (maybe needed due to polyphony).

best

BRIGGS

10 May 2019

steff3 wrote:
10 May 2019
BRIGGS wrote:
09 May 2019

for velocity editing it is a bit inconvenient that you have to select the note before you can edit ... (maybe needed due to polyphony).

best
Matrix works better. Monophonic has it's advantages.
r11s

buddard
RE Developer

10 May 2019

steff3 wrote:
10 May 2019
BRIGGS wrote:
09 May 2019

best
We've set the double-click timer to 100ms, perhaps it's a little too fast? We could try increasing it a bit so you don't have to click so fast?
In any case, Cmd/Ctrl-click is probably the preferred way if you want to draw a lot of notes.

We're not completely averse to introducing a "drawing mode" vs "selection mode" either, the only disadvantage is that we can't change the appearance of the mouse pointer, so it can be a bit difficult for users to keep track of which mode is active (they would have to look at the toolbar/switch to know for sure).

Regarding velocity edit, if no notes are selected then you draw all the velocities as usual, exactly the same as in Matrix or any other mono sequencer. We added the selection behaviour to give you the chance to edit individual note velocities in chords.

buddard
RE Developer

10 May 2019

bxbrkrz wrote:
08 May 2019
What synth(s) did you use for the demo?
Europa? :puf_smile:
Another useful device :thumbs_up:
The synths used in the demo video are:

ES01
Europa
Grain
Diva

artotaku

10 May 2019

Feature request: During step recording and while run/play is off, it should be possible to change the length of the recorded step, thus advancing the playhead by the step length. This step length property should also be remotable.

dusan.cani

10 May 2019

Why is there only 8 patterns ? It's not enough for whole song arrangement needs. The native Reason pattern devices have 8 x 4 patterns which is really sufficient. I find quite unfcomfortable to use another device only for additional patterns. Hm...

Loque

10 May 2019

dusan.cani wrote:
10 May 2019
Why is there only 8 patterns ? It's not enough for whole song arrangement needs. The native Reason pattern devices have 8 x 4 patterns which is really sufficient. I find quite unfcomfortable to use another device only for additional patterns. Hm...
That is an interesting point...Just thought about how to keep track of so many patterns...Would be nice to have some way to label a pattern and this in all sequencer devices, even in Matrix.
Reason12, Win10

tanni

10 May 2019

I have a question:
Have all 8 pattern buttons Remote control option, so I can switch them directly from 8 pads from my AKAI MPK2 Keyboard ?

buddard
RE Developer

10 May 2019

Here’s a quick tip video about note editing and modifier keys in Sequences:

MarkElba

10 May 2019

Anders, congrats on the release of Sequences! Quality software, and a ton of fun to play with.

My first experiment was to stack two instances of Sequences, one for the melodic pattern and another one to change the octaves on the fly. What came out was a really interesting result (aka happy accident) that I wouldn't have been able to create as easily and with as much fun using the standard Reason devices.

Next I'll see what I can make happen by stacking Euclidean and Sequences for even more happy accidents. Keep up the good work! :)

buddard
RE Developer

11 May 2019

tanni wrote:
10 May 2019
I have a question:
Have all 8 pattern buttons Remote control option, so I can switch them directly from 8 pads from my AKAI MPK2 Keyboard ?
"Pattern Select" is a single Remote object, that currently goes from -1 (no pattern selected) up to 7 (pattern #8).
This is built into Reason.

buddard
RE Developer

11 May 2019

dusan.cani wrote:
10 May 2019
Mainly due to panel space constraints, and that we thought 8 would be enough. But it's not impossible to add more patterns in the future if we come up with a good way to present them.

• Information