Sequences from Robotic Bean - 1.3 is out!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
buddard
RE Developer

08 May 2019

Fraxis wrote:
08 May 2019
Fraxis wrote:
08 May 2019
Is there a way to fix the velocity of a selection of notes that you have played to a set value, rather than just adjust their relative velocities? I wouldn’t want to have to individually adjust up to 32 steps, especially as there’s no numerical indicator of the level as you adjust it. And can I add my vote for adding ratchets and at least one CV lane to adjust a filter cut-off etc. As a priority for the first update please?
Actually, although it doesn’t seem to be documented, control/command clicking on a step’s velocity bar seems to set it to the same value (100?) as if you had added one by double clicking. Would be good to be able to select several steps and do that all of them with one click though please.
Yes, Cmd-dragging will set velocity to 100!

If you select some notes in the grid, only those notes will be affected when you edit velocities. So you can drag across the entire lane and only the selected notes will change velocity. So if you select one note in the chord, you will see/change the velocity of that note only.

If you hold shift you increase the vertical resolution drastically (x5), so if you set one note to the desired velocity, then hold shift and drag across the lane, you don't need that much precision to give the same value to all selected notes.

One thing that didn't make it into 1.0 is that we wanted to show the actual velocity value in the lane when you draw velocities with shift pressed. This will probably make it into the next update.

buddard
RE Developer

08 May 2019

Jmax wrote:
08 May 2019
Tried it out and good fun!

Love be able to just click once to input my note instead of the double click, which gets tiresome. And of a course loading different patterns for a start would be great to get going and save things.

Congrats!
We needed the single-click for selection. But we added a Cmd-click shortcut to draw notes, which is much easier than double-click if you want to draw a lot of notes.

Also, in the instant you draw the note, if you drag right before releasing the mouse, you can set the note length instantly!

buddard
RE Developer

08 May 2019

steff3 wrote:
08 May 2019
challism wrote:
08 May 2019
6) Sequences is polyphonic (this probably should have been listed as #1
I mean it looks good - but is it fully polyphonic? (control of velocities for every note? or a single control for velocities for all the notes in one step (time unit)?)
Yes, it's fully polyphonic! All velocities are recorded per-note.
You can see/edit individual velocities by selecting the notes whose velocities you want to edit.
missing probability (but would also be more interesting for each note separately)
Probability will probably make it into an update, I think it will be per step, though.
What would be also great would be an 'articulation lane' for instruments that support articulations (e.g. sample library based stuff) (of course one can use two sequences on top of each other ... but that takes up a lot of space)
How do articulations work, MIDI-wise? i e, how do you normally tell the sampler to play an articulation? I don't have any experience with this. :)

Thanks for the feedback!

Loque

08 May 2019

The manual says "forbidden":
https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/med ... _Guide.pdf

Please make it available so i can read...

Guess it is just the wrong link on the shop. Here is the right one:
http://roboticbean.com/support/sequence ... 0Guide.pdf
Reason12, Win10

buddard
RE Developer

08 May 2019

antic604 wrote:
08 May 2019
I really wish the Playback modes and Sync parameters could be set per Pattern. I know they can be automated, but if one wants to use the RE without Reason's sequencer then that's not an option. Maybe a single switch global/per-pattern would do the trick?
It kind of opens another can of worms in that there will be 8 separate automation entries for each per-pattern knob.... That's why we opted to just add per-pattern tempo multipliers in the display instead.

We figured that it's probably unusual that you would want different Shuffle settings for different patterns, for example. And if you really want to do that you can either automate the parameter, or add another instance of Sequences. It's not that much different from adding a new note lane that uses a different ReGroove channel...

These things are not always clear cut, of course! Everyone has their own preference, and you ultimately have to make a decision one way or another. :D
Last edited by buddard on 08 May 2019, edited 1 time in total.

buddard
RE Developer

08 May 2019

Loque wrote:
08 May 2019
The manual says "forbidden":
https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/med ... _Guide.pdf

Please make it available so i can read...

Guess it is just the wrong link on the shop. Here is the right one:
http://roboticbean.com/support/sequence ... 0Guide.pdf
We can't add a custom link for the manual in the shop, it has to be uploaded to the shop to appear on the right side of the page. Apparently something went wrong this time -- We have informed PH about it, but apparently they didn't have time to look into it today.... Hopefully it can be fixed tomorrow!

Thanks for the heads up nonetheless! :thumbs_up:

xbitz

08 May 2019

buddard wrote:
08 May 2019
steff3 wrote:
08 May 2019

I mean it looks good - but is it fully polyphonic? (control of velocities for every note? or a single control for velocities for all the notes in one step (time unit)?)
Yes, it's fully polyphonic! All velocities are recorded per-note.
You can see/edit individual velocities by selecting the notes whose velocities you want to edit.
missing probability (but would also be more interesting for each note separately)
Probability will probably make it into an update, I think it will be per step, though.
What would be also great would be an 'articulation lane' for instruments that support articulations (e.g. sample library based stuff) (of course one can use two sequences on top of each other ... but that takes up a lot of space)
How do articulations work, MIDI-wise? i e, how do you normally tell the sampler to play an articulation? I don't have any experience with this. :)

Thanks for the feedback!
^^^

http://blake.so/articulate/
from the "ADVANCED BITS AND BOBS
For those that hate videos, here's a diagram giving a brief rundown of what everything is and does:" part
:reason: :recycle: :re: :record: :refill: :rt:

buddard
RE Developer

08 May 2019

xbitz wrote:
08 May 2019
http://blake.so/articulate/
from the "ADVANCED BITS AND BOBS
For those that hate videos, here's a diagram giving a brief rundown of what everything is and does:" part
Cool, thanks! OK, so it's basically something that triggers key switches in the sampler?

xbitz

08 May 2019

^^^ basically yes, practically the notes themselves should trigger the different articulations, in FL it has been solved with different MIDI channels (notes have different colors depends on their used MIDI channel values in FL), dunno how it can be solved in Reason, so for ex.

red notes should trigger articulation 1
blue notes should trigger articulation 2
etc.

to able to achieve this

red notes should trigger c#0 (artic1) and their original note pitch values at the same time ( red as color was assigned to articulation 1 which is c#0 in the current Kontakt library for ex.)
blue notes should trigger d#0 (artic2) and their original note pitch values at the same time ( blue as color was assigned to articulation 2 which is d#0 in the current Kontakt library for ex.) etc.

+ there are many tricky cases too :puf_bigsmile: dunno how the overlapping notes can work in Reason for ex., if u check the video above from 2:15 u can see how the color : articulation assignments are working with that plugin
:reason: :recycle: :re: :record: :refill: :rt:

Fraxis

08 May 2019

buddard wrote:
08 May 2019
Fraxis wrote:
08 May 2019

Actually, although it doesn’t seem to be documented, control/command clicking on a step’s velocity bar seems to set it to the same value (100?) as if you had added one by double clicking. Would be good to be able to select several steps and do that all of them with one click though please.
Yes, Cmd-dragging will set velocity to 100!

If you select some notes in the grid, only those notes will be affected when you edit velocities. So you can drag across the entire lane and only the selected notes will change velocity. So if you select one note in the chord, you will see/change the velocity of that note only.

If you hold shift you increase the vertical resolution drastically (x5), so if you set one note to the desired velocity, then hold shift and drag across the lane, you don't need that much precision to give the same value to all selected notes.

One thing that didn't make it into 1.0 is that we wanted to show the actual velocity value in the lane when you draw velocities with shift pressed. This will probably make it into the next update.
Great. Thanks for clarifying.Will give the dragging with the 5x resolution a try.

BananaSkins

08 May 2019

Currently trialing On Windows here:

Your manual states:
19. TIMING HANDLES - If a Step contains notes, it gets a handle below the Note Grid. You can then
move all notes in that Step by dragging the handle. By default you can nudge Steps that are in your
way, but if you hold Shift while dragging, the relative timing of the Steps to the right of the dragged
Step is maintained.

Does not work for me; all notes in front of the selected note handle move with and without the Shift button held down...
Holding down shift just means I CAN drag all notes back and forward at the same time.

p.s any reason why you cannot drag notes left with the handles? (edit: you can drag notes left using the handle but only if there is a gap and only up to the next handle)
Last edited by BananaSkins on 08 May 2019, edited 1 time in total.

electrofux

08 May 2019

There should be a revolt to make Propellerheads lift the hard restriction on the record button/remote issue. It doesn't make any sense and it is a really hard restriction for alot of REs.

But gratz to the great release!

steff3

08 May 2019

buddard wrote:
08 May 2019
Cool, thanks! OK, so it's basically something that triggers key switches in the sampler?
Yes, most of the time. Some players (Vienna) allow you to use CC - most use midi notes, some allow to choose, some only offer MIDI CC.
Keyswitch notes are outside the play range - might be below (for tenor, alto, soprano instruments) or above (bass, contrabass instruments) of the play range.
Keyswitches might get combined ( e.g. for Modo Bass articulations or multi dimension matrices e.g. Vienna)

What helps of course is the see the keyswitch notes and the sounding notes; to choose the note range; be able to name the notes ;)
(Keyswitch notes should arrive before sound notes)
In most cases velocity of the keyswitch notes is not important ( there are some exceptions) and it helps to set their velocity to e.g 1 and filter (by velocity) them out later on when displaying scores.

best

just a note: the time handles are nice!

buddard
RE Developer

08 May 2019

electrofux wrote:
08 May 2019
There should be a revolt to make Propellerheads lift the hard restriction on the record button/remote issue. It doesn't make any sense and it is a really hard restriction for alot of REs.
To clarify a little, it's not specifically a ban as such, but rather a consequence of some fundamental properties of the RE architecture itself (that I obviously can't go into in a public forum). But hopefully it's something they one day will be able to provide a solution for!

Crumbfort

08 May 2019

Boom! Bought. Awesome stuff.
Descent: Legends of the Dark // Darkeport Productions // The LotR: ACG // Blue Zones (Netflix) // Chef's Table (Netflix)

(Composer for visual media / Adeptus Mechanicus Synthseer)

buddard
RE Developer

08 May 2019

BananaSkins wrote:
08 May 2019

Your manual states:
19. TIMING HANDLES - If a Step contains notes, it gets a handle below the Note Grid. You can then
move all notes in that Step by dragging the handle. By default you can nudge Steps that are in your
way, but if you hold Shift while dragging, the relative timing of the Steps to the right of the dragged
Step is maintained.

Does not work for me; all notes in front of the selected note handle move with and without the Shift button held down...
Holding down shift just means I CAN drag all notes back and forward at the same time.

p.s any reason why you cannot drag notes left with the handles? (edit: you can drag notes left using the handle but only if there is a gap and only up to the next handle)
The handles are prevented to overlap by design. It's so you're safe to move the timing around without making an irreversible change to the pattern, for example that some previously separated notes would suddenly end up in the same step. :D

When the notes are all "packed together" like when you've just recorded a bunch of them in step time, the difference between the shifted mode and the regular mode is not so apparent. But once you have some timing set up, shift will let you move whole phrases in time without collapsing them again.

The reason that you can't drag or nudge handles over the left edge of the sequence is that notes can't have negative starting points. So if you want to get rid of the first notes in the pattern you have to delete them first... You can delete several notes at the same time by lassoing them and then double-clicking on one of them.

jam-s

08 May 2019

Finally Matrix 2.0!

artmessiah

08 May 2019

jam-s wrote:
08 May 2019
Finally Matrix 2.0!
Should check out Kompulsion as well :)

BananaSkins

08 May 2019

buddard wrote:
08 May 2019
BananaSkins wrote:
08 May 2019

Your manual states:
Step is maintained.

The handles are prevented to overlap by design. It's so you're safe to move the timing around without making an irreversible change to the pattern, for example that some previously separated notes would suddenly end up in the same step. :D

When the notes are all "packed together" like when you've just recorded a bunch of them in step time, the difference between the shifted mode and the regular mode is not so apparent. But once you have some timing set up, shift will let you move whole phrases in time without collapsing them again.

The reason that you can't drag or nudge handles over the left edge of the sequence is that notes can't have negative starting points. So if you want to get rid of the first notes in the pattern you have to delete them first... You can delete several notes at the same time by lassoing them and then double-clicking on one of them.
Thanks for your clarification... :thumbs_up:

Crumbfort

08 May 2019

Ah, this thing is so much fun. Put it in a combinator and modulate pattern length with a synced random LFO, add a Euclidean Rhythms before it... great stuff! Just getting started.

Screen Shot 2019-05-08 at 5.20.40 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-08 at 5.20.40 PM.png (736.18 KiB) Viewed 2557 times
Descent: Legends of the Dark // Darkeport Productions // The LotR: ACG // Blue Zones (Netflix) // Chef's Table (Netflix)

(Composer for visual media / Adeptus Mechanicus Synthseer)

Faastwalker

08 May 2019

Very nice. Will definitely be checking this & I imagine will be buying to take advantage of the intro price.

Been meaning to get the Euclidean Player as well. High up on the want list that one ;)

Boombastix
Competition Winner

08 May 2019

Soooo, if we flip the question. What does Step Note do that Sequences does not? Or is Step Note fully replaced? :shock:
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

09 May 2019

Boombastix wrote:
08 May 2019
Soooo, if we flip the question. What does Step Note do that Sequences does not? Or is Step Note fully replaced? :shock:
Same questions on my mind since yesterday.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

buddard
RE Developer

09 May 2019

MrFigg wrote:
09 May 2019
Boombastix wrote:
08 May 2019
Same questions on my mind since yesterday.
Step is still alive and well, and we still have at least one more feature update planned for it! Not bad for a product that recently turned 4 years old, I think! :)

What will definitely always stay unique about Step is the ability to automate and Remote control per-step parameters such as velocity, pitch and repeat count, the ability to record the Curve 1 lane using the mod wheel or pitch bend, the built-in scales and CV signal processor, and the playback directions. The way we handle per-step repeats will mostly stay unique as well, although we will probably add some ratchet functionality to Sequences.

At the moment there are tons of other Step-only features such as the lanes it currently has, but I imagine that gap will be closing in over time since both devices will continue to take inspiration from each other (when it makes sense to do so, of course).

MrFigg
Competition Winner

09 May 2019

buddard wrote:
09 May 2019

Step is still alive and well, and we still have at least one more feature update planned for it! Not bad for a product that recently turned 4 years old, I think! :)

Hope you didn't read me wrong man. I really like Step. To be honest, the only thing I ever missed from day one was realtime recording but now Sequences is out I guess that won't be happening. Otherwise it does me great :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information