Complex-1 low adoption rate? I just bought it, did you?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
reggie1979

08 May 2019

I'm on the fence. The price is terrific and some of the presets are really good. But I'm not sure I'd do anything but be lazy with those and 50 bucks eats into my drinking budget :lol:

Ahornberg

08 May 2019

has anyone compared Complex to u-he Bazille?

Crumbfort

08 May 2019

Ahornberg wrote:
08 May 2019
has anyone compared Complex to u-he Bazille?
I've had Bazille for a long time and absolutely love it. Probably my favorite u-he synth (I own Bazille, Zebra2, Diva, the RePros). Bazille has polyphony and is "unapologetically digital" in nature, and I love that about it. Bazille doesn't have Low Pass Gates but it does have 4 filters.

Bazille.png
Bazille.png (1016.26 KiB) Viewed 3733 times

I really love the sound of the Complex-1 oscillators, and have been very pleased with the filter and the low pass gates. There's definitely overlap, for sure, but they both have a lot of different cool stuff going on in my opinion.
Descent: Legends of the Dark // Darkeport Productions // The LotR: ACG // Blue Zones (Netflix) // Chef's Table (Netflix)

(Composer for visual media / Adeptus Mechanicus Synthseer)

WongoTheSane

08 May 2019

To add to that, Bazille doesn't have free running oscillators (not easily anyway), which means that you have to "play" something to hear something, and the sequencer is... I'm not sure how to call it... not a sequencer in the traditional sense. But it has twice the oscillators, filters, envelopes and LFOs, and deeper global settings. I was hesitant between the two but ended up choosing Complex because of the free running oscs. I agree with Crumbfort, both have their strengths.

Ahornberg

08 May 2019

@Crumbfort @WongoTheSane

Thanks for your explanations!

reggie1979

08 May 2019

To add that any time I demoed Bazille it made my CPU meter very unhappy.

CloudsOfSound

09 May 2019

I'm still on the fence with this one as well, even though the price isn't half bad at 50% off until May 12.
Do I need it? No, probably not. But if I only bought stuff I needed, what would be the fun in that?

You have some good VST alternatives if you want to experiment with virtual modular synths, so I'm unsure if Complex is the way to go, but it would be a good way to learn the basic concepts of modular synths anyway...

Other options to consider for exploring modular synths in-the-box:

EDIT: This currently doesn't play ball with Reason: Voltage Modular by Cherry Audio (on sale for $99)
Softube Modular (on sale for $69)
NI Blocks (Free to get started)
Arturia Modular-V (Looks really nice, but pricey (€149)
VCV Rack - Free and Open Source

Decisions, decisions... 🧐
Last edited by CloudsOfSound on 09 May 2019, edited 1 time in total.
:reason: Reason 10 running on  MacBook Pro 16" 2019
(6-Core Intel Core i7 / AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4GB / 16GB RAM)
macOS Catalina v.10.15.2
Software Developer and Wannabe Musician

Boombastix
Competition Winner

09 May 2019

CloudsOfSound wrote:
09 May 2019

Voltage Modular by Cherry Audio (on sale for $99)

Someone reported compatibility issues between Reason and Cherry Audio, better look into that before buying that one.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Jackjackdaw

09 May 2019

What I like about Complex-1 vs VCV rack is that it fits on my laptop screen nicely. VCV modules are huge.

Also it's integration into Reason makes it very easy to be musical with it. Conversely it's maybe more difficult to be really experimental...

I don't think C-1 is that good for learning modular though, if it is your sole modular soft synth. It has too many conventions unique to itself. I find myself learning things about euro rack and then thinking, okay so how do I do that in C-1? And if I do something good in C-1 It doesn't really shed any light on how to do that in VCV with more realistic modules.

CloudsOfSound

09 May 2019

Jackjackdaw wrote:
09 May 2019
What I like about Complex-1 vs VCV rack is that it fits on my laptop screen nicely. VCV modules are huge.

Also it's integration into Reason makes it very easy to be musical with it. Conversely it's maybe more difficult to be really experimental...

I don't think C-1 is that good for learning modular though, if it is your sole modular soft synth. It has too many conventions unique to itself. I find myself learning things about euro rack and then thinking, okay so how do I do that in C-1? And if I do something good in C-1 It doesn't really shed any light on how to do that in VCV with more realistic modules.
According to Propellerhead, the way they've implemented the features / patching in Complex-1 is more or less directly transferable to a modular hardware rack, so I think it's possible to learn a thing or two from using it...
:reason: Reason 10 running on  MacBook Pro 16" 2019
(6-Core Intel Core i7 / AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4GB / 16GB RAM)
macOS Catalina v.10.15.2
Software Developer and Wannabe Musician

danc

09 May 2019

Boombastix wrote:
09 May 2019
CloudsOfSound wrote:
09 May 2019

Voltage Modular by Cherry Audio (on sale for $99)

Someone reported compatibility issues between Reason and Cherry Audio, better look into that before buying that one.
Voltage Modular doesn't work for me in Reason (Windows). Cherry Audio are aware of this and said to me that it's because Reason is overzealous with its exception handling. They said they do plan to resolve it, but it requires a lot of work to fix. Plus they encouraged me to petition Propellerhead to make Reason less militant with exceptions.

I personally look forward to it working in Reason as it really has a great palette of sounds.

For now... I will use Complex-1 and so far I really do love its sound. It can be so subtle, aggressive and outlandish. You just have to stop and think carefully how to do things as it isn't a quick pick up and use. Take for example velocity controlled amplitude.... Look in the manual and you have to do some serious wiring to get that to work.
Check my Soundcloud:

MrBlue

10 May 2019

WongoTheSane wrote:
07 May 2019
Modular is never about the destination, it's all about the journey. If you're using this to quickly make a sound for the song you're supposed to deliver in an hour, you're using it wrong. It's about relaxing and playing with the most elaborate toy you could ever imagine, like a sound Meccano where any combination yields wonderful sounds. Sometimes, some of them are good enough to use in a song: great, build a song upon them! But it's a happy accident (to quote mjxl), not a goal. The whole point is to explore, have fun and... take a break from making music!
i agree with that

geronimo

10 May 2019

Throughout its simplicity, let's not forget that in appearance, Complex-1 does not include a modulation matrix as with Thor, Europa or Grain.
However, this modulation matrix exists as it is generated by the cables in front.
This summarizes the whole spirit of Complex-1, a lot of figured in order to arrive at his ends.

WongoTheSane

10 May 2019

MrBlue wrote:
10 May 2019
i agree with that

animated-crystal-cosmos-take-2
Very nice, well done!

MrBlue

10 May 2019

Thank's a lot

mjxl

10 May 2019

Iapetus 9

10 May 2019

It's my favorite Prop synth hands down. And, yes I'll say it, much better than the Arturia Easel. They really nailed it and it's a must have IMHO.
38L > 51D every time.

BRIGGS

11 May 2019

Iapetus 9 wrote:
10 May 2019
It's my favorite Prop synth hands down. And, yes I'll say it, much better than the Arturia Easel. They really nailed it and it's a must have IMHO.
PH did a good job on Complex-1.

I'm satisfied with my synth collection, as of late. :puf_smile:
r11s

gullum

12 May 2019

I'm a guitar guy but use keyboards and synths in my songs. Complex is just that to me complex so I have no interest in it

mjxl

12 May 2019

gullum wrote:
12 May 2019
I'm a guitar guy but use keyboards and synths in my songs. Complex is just that to me complex so I have no interest in it
Take the Audio Input into your thought process though ;)
It can probably get gnarly sounds from your guitar :thumbs_up:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

12 May 2019

mjxl wrote:
12 May 2019
gullum wrote:
12 May 2019
Take the Audio Input into your thought process though ;)
It can probably get gnarly sounds from your guitar :thumbs_up:
Well that, as you know, is what I thought :). But nah. Sticking with the Gristleizer on my guitar for now.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

djadalaide

12 May 2019

I've had playing 3 generative patches on complex-1 for the last hour, i heavily tweaked some of the patches by selig and peff..

Its using simple elements interacting together to make something a lot more complex, not just in terms of timbre but also timing and notes.

The only thing i would say is, if you're not a tweaker and design your own sounds its kind of a waste for just preset surfing.

Libraquaricorn

12 May 2019

I decided to bite, after trialing for a week. At that deal of the week-price Complex-1 was simply irresistible to me. I'm really pleased with the workflow and performance of a this kind of modular powerhorse in Reason. I wish they upgrade the interface of Viking-2 so it matches that of complex-1, where you can switch between cables and remoteable knobs. My suggestion for Complex-2 is a set of individual modules that you can put together at you own whim to create either instruments, utilities or even effects.

zoidkirb

13 May 2019

After umming and ahhing for a week I caved in on the final day of the sale. I wasted my trial at the time of release and had to base my decision on others opinions. I was considering other modular vst options but in the end I'm glad I went with complex-1 because while sounding great, it really has that modern propellerhead ethos of fun , accessibility, modularity. Really, Props should look into trial resets for RE's as I was very close to skipping this sale.

future-bit

13 May 2019

Last edited by future-bit on 07 Dec 2020, edited 1 time in total.

• Information