Cubase Pro 10 - Half Price (and crossgrade)!

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
BananaSkins

08 May 2019

https://new.steinberg.net/cubase/celebrate/
IMG_2298.PNG
IMG_2298.PNG (96.78 KiB) Viewed 4541 times

Loque

08 May 2019

There is also a crossgrade available for around 170 bucks...But i am not reallyinterested. Always hated Cubase...

Maybe the instruments are interesting. Can they be used outside of Cubase?
Reason12, Win10

Creativemind

08 May 2019

Loque wrote:
08 May 2019
There is also a crossgrade available for around 170 bucks...But i am not reallyinterested. Always hated Cubase...

PadShop Pro 2 can I think (so others surely can), someone correct me if I'm wrong?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Loque

08 May 2019

Creativemind wrote:
08 May 2019
Loque wrote:
08 May 2019

PadShop Pro 2 can I think (so others surely can), someone correct me if I'm wrong?
And the fx?
Reason12, Win10

Soeno

08 May 2019

don't like the dongle but for the half price i'll buy this

Soeno

08 May 2019

i think the fx are Cubase only, Retrologue and Padshop should run

LarsK

08 May 2019

Loque wrote:
08 May 2019

Not sure if this still applies:
https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=90948

Reminiscence

08 May 2019

there's a crossgrade option also.

dongle?

Crumbfort

08 May 2019

I own Reaper, Logic Pro X, Reason, and Pro Tools 10 (blegh avid). I've tried Cubase out a couple times out of curiosity and it's just not for me. The customization and freedom of Reaper has ruined a lot of other more "fixed architecture" DAWs for me, I think. I also found Reaper and even Logic to be wayyyy more CPU efficient than Cubase. Just my personal experience. If it's something you were looking to get anyways that competitive crossgrade price is great, though!
Descent: Legends of the Dark // Darkeport Productions // The LotR: ACG // Blue Zones (Netflix) // Chef's Table (Netflix)

(Composer for visual media / Adeptus Mechanicus Synthseer)

Boombastix
Competition Winner

08 May 2019

$170 for Reason cross grade. Until June 3. https://new.steinberg.net/cubase/celebrate/

Very very tempting, VST Midi out + Chord track + VariAudio (zplane 3). Audio align. You can overlay midi notes with audio 'notes', and even compare audio notes to chord track to see (with color) if they are on chord, on scale, out of scale. That in a single full window. FABULOUS!
Zplane on its own, as a non integrated plugin, is about the same cost. Gee, this is tempting. Getting all (?) the sequencer updates we have wished for now, instead of 2022(?), hmmmm...

What are Reasons users thoughts of Cubase Pro 10 (assuming some use both)?
The good the bad, workflow, how do you use both, etc?
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

diminished
Competition Winner

08 May 2019

Boombastix wrote:
08 May 2019
$170 for Reason cross grade. Until June 3. https://new.steinberg.net/cubase/celebrate/

Very very tempting, VST Midi out + Chord track + VariAudio (zplane 3). Audio align. You can overlay midi notes with audio 'notes', and even compare audio notes to chord track to see (with color) if they are on chord, on scale, out of scale. That in a single full window. FABULOUS!
Zplane on its own, as a non integrated plugin, is about the same cost. Gee, this is tempting. Getting all (?) the sequencer updates we have wished for now, instead of 2022(?), hmmmm...

The good the bad, workflow, how do you use both, etc?
Tempting indeed.
"Celebrate Cubase’s 30th anniversary with us and the Cubase family by saving 50% on Cubase 10* from May 7th, 2019, to June 3rd, 2019."
I'll give PH a few more weeks and see what they have in store for us.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

Loque

09 May 2019

Every u und I tried Cubase, I hated it. Not interested in any way. The instruments might be interesting, but I have everything I need. The fx are bound to Cubase, but I guess I have everything here too. So in the end there is nothing tempting except the price.

I don't want and need it.
Reason12, Win10

VariableX

09 May 2019

Yeah, I mean each to there own an all that, but for me turning on any other DAW looks like turning on some application in an office of boredom and gloom.
Turning on Reason seems different, like its party time at one minute to midnight on Hogmanay 😀

PeterP

09 May 2019

Boombastix wrote:
08 May 2019
I've used both since Cubase VST 5.1 and Reason 2.5

Reason is more inspiring to write songs ideas in or for experimenting and designing sounds. This is the one DAW I open the most.

Cubase has always been very feature rich and great at handling large projects. It's a bit heavy and hard to steer sometimes. This is the DAW I use to finish projects (editing, mixing) or if I need to mix a song from raw tracks. Or if I want to use MPE / Roli.

miscend

09 May 2019

There’s already a thread
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7512079

Boombastix
Competition Winner

10 May 2019

I've been researching what Cubase Pro 10 provides from my Reason perspective. FWIW, I saw that the Cubase Mrkt Mgr just said. There hasn't been any new customer promotion on Cubase Pro in the last 10 years. So, don't expect this price to come back too soon, is my guess.
So, decided to put my notes together and share. I did this to see what the value it is in having Cubase Pro 10 if you already have reason 10.3 (from my perspective). It is always a big time investment to learn new stuff, hence my pre-purchase 'investigation'.

* It doesn't seem we will be able to use the Cubase FX/Instruments inside of Reason. Most seems to be locked to Cubase, but the unlocked ones are VST3.
* Audio editing is SUPERB. Making auto harmonies, very detailed pitch adjustments features, auto alignment, threshold for markers, coloring of pitches to chord track or a midi clip, all using zPlane tech. The cross grade cost is about the same as a stand alone zPlane, but then you miss integration and harmonization, so you would have to add Vielklang, and now it gets more expensive and still no integration. Now, if you do not record vocals, then this wont matter too much for a reason user.
* Midi sequencer. Very good, but I think with some of the very new RE Players you can get most functions you need, except that illusive chord track, so a slight plus. The adjustment of note velocities, doing fade ins and such, is quite a time saver, also very nice.
* Midi notes can overlay audio "notes" as well. I think that is SUPER useful when combining vocals/midi work (or live bass for that matter).
* Midi output/routing from VSTs.
* Remote recording of an artist (VST Connect). YES! you can record a singer or guitarist in another location, kinda like a Skype call, but will full interaction and control room features. NICE!
* Rewire - of course... The Reason fun will not be lost even if you start a song in Cubase - VERY important, cause I like the 'studio feel' of the reason rack and its unbeatable sound design capabilities.
* Expression maps for 'orchestral' stuff, nice way to get the key switches in the piano roll window.
* Use external instruments setup so they integrate similar to a VST
* Mixer snap-shots and note pad. Pretty nice if you work on a multi-track project
* Automation curves - probably a great time saver when working on the final steps of a track.
* Track freeze. Maybe useful at the end of putting a track together when layering up synths, but with the Reason 10.3 buffer size rewrite/fix, it doesn't feel as urgent as a few weeks ago. Still handy if you need it.
* Video sync. Not so much for the casual user, but its there.
* FX inserts, quickly split/move inserts pre or post fader.
* VST3, not sure if that matters yet.

* Not sure about built in FX, Synths, Sample Lib (tons of it). But personally I have so much already.
* Also not 100% sure how well it will track pitch of a bass guitar when converting audio to midi, but I've seen zPlane do this really well in zPlane stand alone and FL studio (also zPlane). Has anyone tried bass guitar to midi in Cubase?

My high level conclusion so far is:
Cubase does live recording really well and editing of the audio.
Nice midi tools for more complex compositions/chord progressions.
Good tools for final mixing, automation.

Reason is still the 'fun' place for inspiration and tons of sound creation.

We'll see if working via Rewire makes sense or if it is better to bounce out to audio.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

miscend

13 May 2019

What do proof do Reason users need to send for the cross grade?

I tried the demo. Cubase and Logic still do this same thing where they don’t play the first note in at the start of a midi recording. Even though the note was definitely recorded as it shows up in the piano roll editor. The remedy is to nudge the note slightly behind the start of the bar. I don’t think it’s as elegant as Reason, on a Mac the menus are wonky looking with some important features buried inside labyrinths of sub menus.

Anyway the Elements version has a really good feature set. For many people who don’t need stuff like variaudio or the score editor it’s an absolute steal at 45 bucks.

kitekrazy

14 May 2019

Crumbfort wrote:
08 May 2019
I own Reaper, Logic Pro X, Reason, and Pro Tools 10 (blegh avid). I've tried Cubase out a couple times out of curiosity and it's just not for me. The customization and freedom of Reaper has ruined a lot of other more "fixed architecture" DAWs for me, I think. I also found Reaper and even Logic to be wayyyy more CPU efficient than Cubase. Just my personal experience. If it's something you were looking to get anyways that competitive crossgrade price is great, though!
I think everyone who switched to Reaper said the same thing.

kitekrazy

14 May 2019

PeterP wrote:
09 May 2019
Boombastix wrote:
08 May 2019
I've used both since Cubase VST 5.1 and Reason 2.5

Reason is more inspiring to write songs ideas in or for experimenting and designing sounds. This is the one DAW I open the most.

Cubase has always been very feature rich and great at handling large projects. It's a bit heavy and hard to steer sometimes. This is the DAW I use to finish projects (editing, mixing) or if I need to mix a song from raw tracks. Or if I want to use MPE / Roli.
I think Reason and Cubase are apples and oranges. Cubase is great for orchestra and when you need to look at a score. I've hear that scoring to video is really good. I have Reason on 4 machines which you really can't do with Cubase without the dongle.

kitekrazy

14 May 2019

miscend wrote:
13 May 2019
What do proof do Reason users need to send for the cross grade?

I tried the demo. Cubase and Logic still do this same thing where they don’t play the first note in at the start of a midi recording. Even though the note was definitely recorded as it shows up in the piano roll editor. The remedy is to nudge the note slightly behind the start of the bar. I don’t think it’s as elegant as Reason, on a Mac the menus are wonky looking with some important features buried inside labyrinths of sub menus.

Anyway the Elements version has a really good feature set. For many people who don’t need stuff like variaudio or the score editor it’s an absolute steal at 45 bucks.
A screenshot of your Reason license will do if buying direct. Other vendors require filling out a form as well.

adfielding

15 May 2019

I've decided to take the plunge on this myself - not because I plan on switching production environments, but £140 for the included audio editing tools/plug-ins was too tempting to pass up. Plus I tend to work with folks who use Cubase quite a bit, so it'll make project sharing a lot easier :)

MikeMcKew

15 May 2019

We had two topics about this sale, so I've merged them to keep the discussion all in one place. :D

Did I buy this? Absolutely. Do I need another DAW license? Absolutely not! I have a feeling I'll probably use it for mixing tracks (the channel strip seems really nice) and working with vocals. VariAudio and the new audio alignment features seem really powerful for that.

Luckily I don't need it urgently, because it seems that Steinberg has underestimated the popularity of the sale. It'll probably be at least a week before I get my license.

Crumbfort

17 May 2019

kitekrazy wrote:
14 May 2019
Crumbfort wrote:
08 May 2019
I think everyone who switched to Reaper said the same thing.
Hah! I reckon you might be right about that :puf_bigsmile:
Descent: Legends of the Dark // Darkeport Productions // The LotR: ACG // Blue Zones (Netflix) // Chef's Table (Netflix)

(Composer for visual media / Adeptus Mechanicus Synthseer)

kitekrazy

17 May 2019

MikeMcKew wrote:
15 May 2019
We had two topics about this sale, so I've merged them to keep the discussion all in one place. :D

Did I buy this? Absolutely. Do I need another DAW license? Absolutely not! I have a feeling I'll probably use it for mixing tracks (the channel strip seems really nice) and working with vocals. VariAudio and the new audio alignment features seem really powerful for that.

Luckily I don't need it urgently, because it seems that Steinberg has underestimated the popularity of the sale. It'll probably be at least a week before I get my license.
Maybe they are a half assed outfit outside of their development.

adfielding

18 May 2019

MikeMcKew wrote:
15 May 2019
Oof, I got my license within a couple of days - that said, I already had a dongle so I didn't have to worry about that. I guess that could be a big factor.

• Information