Sequences from Robotic Bean - 1.3 is out!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
buddard
RE Developer

08 May 2019

Creativemind wrote:
08 May 2019
buddard wrote:
08 May 2019

This is just the 1.0 release, there's much more to come! ;)
:thumbs_up:

Will future updates be free, obviously I mean for people who've purchased it?
Yep, those will be free updates! :D

ab459

08 May 2019

Definitely looks interesting, separate thanks for external trigging ability. Instagrab it seems.

Biolumin3sc3nt

08 May 2019

Well I'll be damned, within ten minutes of playing with this, I had a super groovy tech-house starter. Combine this with Scales and Chords / Note Echo and yeah bingo. I have a free weekend to toy around and demo, so this might be on my to buy list. Well Done!

Biolumin3sc3nt

08 May 2019

Oh... I threw in the MC-1 more cowbell RE just for shits and giggles. Thought that might make u smile Buddard

reddust

08 May 2019

MrFigg wrote:
08 May 2019
Looks great as always...but is it pretty much the same principle as Step note recorder except polyphonic and easier to move stuff around?
I always wished Step note had realtime recording
Agree with this, would be nice to know which features does this device have that the Step Note Recorder hasn't, the introductory price is very seducing but I need some more concrete advice why this device is worth buying, I'm pretty near to do it, but still not sure there is any feature I could use and can't already do with the Step Note Recorder...

challism

08 May 2019

reddust wrote:
08 May 2019
MrFigg wrote:
08 May 2019
Looks great as always...but is it pretty much the same principle as Step note recorder except polyphonic and easier to move stuff around?
Agree with this, would be nice to know which features does this device have that the Step Note Recorder hasn't, the introductory price is very seducing but I need some more concrete advice why this device is worth buying, I'm pretty near to do it, but still not sure there is any feature I could use and can't already do with the Step Note Recorder...
Some features Sequences has over Step (just off the top of my head:
1) Sequences can be recorded in real time
2) Sequences has 8 patterns, Step has 1
3) Sequences has "notes to track"
4) Sequences is a player (no patching cables required) and can be combined with other players, other instances of Sequences.
5) In addition to the timing resolution, Sequences half and double time
6) Sequences is polyphonic (this probably should have been listed as #1
7) Notes in Sequences can easily be copied, pasted, and altered (much easier than in Step). Individual notes or groups of notes can be selected and edited. Double click to write/delete, etc. More

OH, and a BIG congratulations to Robotic Bean. This is a fantastic release. You guys continue to turn out top-knotch REs.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

geronimo

08 May 2019

My two cents .

sequences01.jpg
sequences01.jpg (46.93 KiB) Viewed 3476 times

buddard
RE Developer

08 May 2019

reddust wrote:
08 May 2019
MrFigg wrote:
08 May 2019
I think it depends on what kind of sequences (heh) you want to make! For monophonic bass lines, they're pretty much on par with each other except for the multiple patterns and realtime recording in Sequences.

What I personally think is the killer feature in Sequences is the Timing Edit, i e the triangular handles underneath the note grid. It's a dead easy way to experiment with the timing, especially after recording in step mode. Because it lets you alter the timing rapidly and visually, but also safely: There's no risk that it screws up your data since you can't drag a Timing Handle past another Timing Handle. You can push other timing handles out to the right, but by holding shift, you select all handles to the right of the current handle, so you can always drag them back in again.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

08 May 2019

challism wrote:
08 May 2019
reddust wrote:
08 May 2019

4) Sequences is a player (no patching cables required) and can be combined with other players, other instances of Sequences.
7) Notes in Sequences can easily be copied, pasted, and altered (much easier than in Step). Individual notes or groups of notes can be selected and edited. Double click to write/delete, etc. More

OH, and a BIG congratulations to Robotic Bean. This is a fantastic release. You guys continue to turn out top-knotch REs.
Polyphony and real-time recording are the main big differences then really. As I said, Robotic Bean stuff is great but it’s too similar to Step Note for me. Bought both 1 and 2 already so I guess I’ll wait to see what gets added. I do still want it anyway ha ha :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

antic604

08 May 2019

reddust wrote:
08 May 2019
It's discounted until the end of the month, so meanwhile simply take it for a trial.

Although I sort of see where you're coming from - I'm so excited about it that I might outright buy it, like I did with Complex-1 or Reason Drum Kits :)

Creativemind

08 May 2019

buddard wrote:
08 May 2019
Creativemind wrote:
08 May 2019

:thumbs_up:

Will future updates be free, obviously I mean for people who've purchased it?
Great thanks.

It doesn't seem to be doing it now but holding down shift when the pattern was playing seemed to either add reverb or lengthen the notes, is that right? (tryna find it in the manual.)
Last edited by Creativemind on 08 May 2019, edited 1 time in total.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

antic604

08 May 2019

Are playback modes (loop, 1-shot, gate, stepped) global or per-pattern?

What Trig In on the back does? Is it like a gate for triggering currently active pattern, or can it also choose one of the 1-8 patterns?

(sorry, I'm at work and can't access Dropbox while User Guide in Props Shop still doesn't work :D)

buddard
RE Developer

08 May 2019

Creativemind wrote:
08 May 2019
buddard wrote:
08 May 2019

Great thanks.

It doesn't seem to be doing it now but holding down shift seemed to either add reverb or lengthen the notes, is that right? (tryna find it in the manual.)
If you're using Reason's on-screen keyboard, then Shift will activate the "sustain pedal". This one tripped us up many times during development! :D

JdA57

08 May 2019

My reply is gone? (think I'm doing something wrong)

again:

bought this RE, but missing the feature 'REC OVERDUB'.

example: record pattern - copy it to next patternsplace - and here now I wanna add in realtime some notes.

But allways I'm pressing record, all recorded notes are gone.

Cannot download a manual because ther is a message 'forbidden ...'

maybe I'm missing something or maybe you'll add this feature later?

(workaround: add one more Seq.-Player to the instrument. But not the best option :D )
Last edited by JdA57 on 08 May 2019, edited 1 time in total.

buddard
RE Developer

08 May 2019

antic604 wrote:
08 May 2019
Are playback modes (loop, 1-shot, gate, stepped) global or per-pattern?
Playback mode is global, but of course automatable, so you can automate them in conjunction with the pattern changes if you want.
All the "hardware controls" are global, in the display it's a bit of a mix: Auto Reset and Relative Tempo are per-pattern, Transpose is global.
What Trig In on the back does? Is it like a gate for triggering currently active pattern, or can it also choose one of the 1-8 patterns?
The Trig input works a little differently depending on the playback mode:
  • Looped: Does nothing :D
  • 1-Shot: 0 to positive voltage triggers the playback
  • Gated: Sequence is played while voltage is positive
  • Stepped: The sequence advances one step when voltage changes from 0 - positive, the step is held until the voltage drops back to 0
Last edited by buddard on 08 May 2019, edited 1 time in total.

stp2015

08 May 2019

Will buy without testing. This is great, and it looks fantastic too. Good design always helps me with creativity. :puf_smile: :puf_smile: :puf_smile:

buddard
RE Developer

08 May 2019

JdA57 wrote:
08 May 2019

again:

example: record pattern - copy it to next patternsplace - and here now I wanna add in realtime some notes.

Overdub is not available in this version, but yes, it's something we're seriously considering for later!

We're aware of the issue with the manual, we're trying to resolve it with Propellerhead right now.
In the meantime, I just uploaded it to our own server, it can be downloaded here. Let me know if you have problems accessing it!

JdA57

08 May 2019

buddard wrote:
08 May 2019
JdA57 wrote:
08 May 2019

again:

Overdub is not available in this version, but yes, it's something we're seriously considering for later!

We're aware of the issue with the manual, we're trying to resolve it with Propellerhead right now.
In the meantime, I just uploaded it to our own server, it can be downloaded here. Let me know if you have problems accessing it!

thx for this really quick reply :) :) And thx, that you'll add this feature. (Y)

actually I'm using this workaround:
add one more Seq.-Player to the instrument. But not the best option :D

buddard
RE Developer

08 May 2019

geronimo wrote:
08 May 2019
My two cents .

sequences01.jpg
Nice!!

We also made one:

FiatLux

08 May 2019

Buddard,
Just purchase. Really great work!
Is there a reason that a save/load patch feature was omitted or
am I just missing something?
I realize I can save in a combinator, but...
Last edited by FiatLux on 08 May 2019, edited 1 time in total.

antic604

08 May 2019

buddard wrote:
08 May 2019
Thanks for replying.

BTW, I gotta ask - are you planning on copying the graphical language / design of your Player devices (Sequences, Euclidean) to Resonans synth?
Its GUI is frankly the only thing preventing me from getting it :(

buddard
RE Developer

08 May 2019

FiatLux wrote:
08 May 2019
Buddard,
We didn't feel that it added much since all it does is load/save the entire state of the device. So we felt it would be more or less the same to just copy the entire device and paste it somewhere.

What would be your main use case if we added a patch browser?

FiatLux

08 May 2019

buddard wrote:
08 May 2019
FiatLux wrote:
08 May 2019
Buddard,
We didn't feel that it added much since all it does is load/save the entire state of the device. So we felt it would be more or less the same to just copy the entire device and paste it somewhere.

What would be your main use case if we added a patch browser?
Have a library of patterns you can quickly load and swap out for trying different sequences for your compositions.
No different than why you would have a save/load feature on a device like the Dual Arp or Scales and Chords or Kompulsion.
Personally, I think having that functionality is completely intuitive to a device like this.
Again, really amazing work on this device.
Last edited by FiatLux on 08 May 2019, edited 1 time in total.

reddust

08 May 2019

challism wrote:
08 May 2019

Well that's a good list there, enough to take a decision, so I'll most surely be buying it before the introductory price ends. And I agree that point 6 should have been listed as #1 :)
buddard wrote:
08 May 2019
I think it depends on what kind of sequences (heh) you want to make! For monophonic bass lines, they're pretty much on par with each other except for the multiple patterns and realtime recording in Sequences.

What I personally think is the killer feature in Sequences is the Timing Edit, i e the triangular handles underneath the note grid. It's a dead easy way to experiment with the timing, especially after recording in step mode. Because it lets you alter the timing rapidly and visually, but also safely: There's no risk that it screws up your data since you can't drag a Timing Handle past another Timing Handle. You can push other timing handles out to the right, but by holding shift, you select all handles to the right of the current handle, so you can always drag them back in again.
That sounds quite good for me too, I actually wanted a tool to do something similar to an arpeggiator but for more than just polyphonic bass lines

• Information