Sequences from Robotic Bean - 1.3 is out!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
buddard
RE Developer

08 May 2019

Today we release Sequences, our latest Player Rack Extension!

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... sequences/

Sequences is a polyphonic step sequencer in the Rack. With Sequences you can play your favourite instruments directly from the rack. Featuring 32 steps, 8 patterns and tons of tweakability, Sequences offers a completely new way of making music in Reason.

We hope you like it! :D

Edit:

And Sequences 1.1 is out!

• Patch browser!
  • Per-step length lane with mute and tie buttons
  • Tied notes "auto-stretch" to the next actual note-on, even if that happens to be the note itself!
  • 2 CV lanes with configurable polarity
  • Velocity CV out
  • Lane values are displayed while drawing with Shift or Cmd/Ctrl held
  • Various enhancements and bug fixes

And 1.2!

• 3 Recording modes: Overdub, Replace, Insert
  • Existing pattern data is now carried over into recording mode, allowing overdubs on existing patterns
  • Configurable Root Key (with Learn function) for transposing via keyboard/CV
  • Drag Move/Shift buttons left or right to shift the pattern several steps in a single gesture
  • New Crop function in the Tools menu, removes all notes outside the current playback range or note selection
  • Various bug fixes and enhancements

And 1.3!

• Ratchet Lane with Repeats, Velocity ramp and Pitch offset
  • Length, Mute, Tie, Octave and Ratchet settings are now all stored for each note instead of each step
  • Added an in-display overlay button to quickly delete selected notes
  • Added a new Tools function: Fill, that repeats a range or note selection until the end of the display
  • Various enhancements and bug fixes
Last edited by buddard on 07 Feb 2020, edited 4 times in total.

antic604

08 May 2019

That's awesome and I really hope there's next step coming - a device, that you can hook up several Sequences to and launch patterns from a matrix-style GUI.

Pretty please do this! :o

antic604

08 May 2019

And a quick question - can you draw patterns in sequencer (like you can for Matrix or Redrum) and at the same time send MIDI notes to it from different sequencer lane to transpose the pattern(s)?

antic604

08 May 2019

And another (neither your website or the User Guide link in PropShop work) - can you drag the pattern out to Reason's sequencer?

mjxl

08 May 2019

That looks very fine!

buddard
RE Developer

08 May 2019

antic604 wrote:
08 May 2019
And a quick question - can you draw patterns in sequencer (like you can for Matrix or Redrum) and at the same time send MIDI notes to it from different sequencer lane to transpose the pattern(s)?
Yes, you can draw notes by double-clicking or Cmd-clicking in the grid.

There are three ways you can transpose Sequences on the go:
- CV IN: Via the Transpose CV input on the back, which accepts standard note CV from for example RPG-8 or Matrix, etc.
- KEYB: Incoming MIDI notes will transpose the sequence
- MANUAL: You can set a manual transpose amount and automate it

For CV IN and KEYB, C3 is the root key.

buddard
RE Developer

08 May 2019

antic604 wrote:
08 May 2019
And another (neither your website or the User Guide link in PropShop work) - can you drag the pattern out to Reason's sequencer?
No, drag and drop from REs is not supported, but you can click "Send to Track" above the player to accomplish this :D

In the meantime you can download the User Guide from Dropbox!

Deerstetmusic

08 May 2019

Going to download to try out but without testing im allready afraid, it will be one of those must haves in my Rack anyway ... well done to the developers !! :D :D :D

Mataya

08 May 2019

Wow. Amazing really. All I'm missing from most of such devices is a random button. No need to explain, right?
Wonderful device. Thanks.

botnotbot

08 May 2019

Instant purchase :D

I love Step Note Recorder II but patching it in via CV to Player tap was getting cumbersome.

Plus, polyphony! Congrats on the new release buddard.

buddard
RE Developer

08 May 2019

Mataya wrote:
08 May 2019
Wow. Amazing really. All I'm missing from most of such devices is a random button. No need to explain, right?
This is just the 1.0 release, there's much more to come! ;)

antic604

08 May 2019

buddard wrote:
08 May 2019
Yeah, was about to ask for those 6 empty slots next to Velocity and Octave :)

xbitz

08 May 2019

I know it's not possible but I'd like to see a device which able to play back complete Blocks next :) that would be something :mrgreen:
--
not tried so just wondering/asking the compatibility with JammeR Loops Trigger Module clip launcher can be solved somehow, would be nice if we able to trigger both audio and MIDI clips ... from the rack
:reason: :recycle: :re: :record: :refill: :rt:

Jackjackdaw

08 May 2019

I haven't tried it yet so I'm jumping the gun, but I would love it if you could change the pattern via cv. I wonder if that is possible within the limitations of rack extensions.

I think Players are great but the point of them to me is so I don't have to use the main sequencer. Trouble is I have to use it for setting up pattern changes which is cumbersome.

antic604

08 May 2019

xbitz wrote:
08 May 2019
I know it's not possible but I'd like to see a device which able to play back complete Blocks next :) that would be something :mrgreen:
I'd be happy with an 8x8 grid device, where you'd hook up 8 Sequences to it (one per column) and each pad in a column would represent respective Sequences' pattern #1-8. This way we could jam Ableton Live-style with MIDI instruments, without ever touching the sequencer. If that device had a bank of knobs that we could connect to CVs elsewhere (filters, effect parameters, etc.) that would be even better :o

chimp_spanner

08 May 2019

buddard wrote:
08 May 2019
Mataya wrote:
08 May 2019
Well, I couldn't help but notice that there's space for more than just velocity and octave in those little tabs ;) Perhaps note repeat/ratcheting, probability, etc.?

In any case this is brilliant - really good fun, already coming up with ideas I'd never think to play or program without the aid of step input. Fantastic work! I'd said in the FB group that this really highlights the need for a step sequencer in Reason itself BUT, given that we can do pattern to track this really kinda fills that void, with functionality that a sequencer step function probably wouldn't have (like octave switches and whatever else you add in later!).

Great work. Well done!

WongoTheSane

08 May 2019

Jackjackdaw wrote:
08 May 2019
I haven't tried it yet so I'm jumping the gun, but I would love it if you could change the pattern via cv. I wonder if that is possible within the limitations of rack extensions.

I think Players are great but the point of them to me is so I don't have to use the main sequencer. Trouble is I have to use it for setting up pattern changes which is cumbersome.
There's no direct CV input for that, but just drop one into a combi, plug the CV into the combi's CV Input 1, and in the programmer, set CV Input 1 to Pattern Select on Sequences and you're done! You can even restrict the range if needed, or instead direct the combi's rotaries to select the pattern. Or use a CV8X4!

Setting a S&H CV to Pattern Select allows for random selection of patterns, which can be a great effect.

VariableX

08 May 2019

"the possibilities are endless! "
I love the video, definitely gonna check it out and now im thinking the Euclidean player seems more interesting because of it too!

wireditb

08 May 2019

This is truly groundbreaking!!!

I waited for this one. I am buying this ASAP.

I wish there is Random seed of notes like in Matrix but i guess some future release? There's a space left in editor - i guess it's for that ;)

Thank you your plugins are awesome and your graphical interfaces are also amazing!

Superb release!!!

ljekio

08 May 2019

Wow, some days i think about sequencer what can record and play sequences by triggered note.
Can triggered and play by note this stuff?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

08 May 2019

Looks great as always...but is it pretty much the same principle as Step note recorder except polyphonic and easier to move stuff around?
I always wished Step note had realtime recording
Last edited by MrFigg on 08 May 2019, edited 1 time in total.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Hydrosonic

08 May 2019

Looks Fantastic, I am a huge fan of easy to use step sequencing. I'd really love to see CV some CV level outputs for controlling things like Filters per step, and maybe even a full Elektron style probability triggers. But I will more than likely be adding this to my collection later this month. :) Congratulations on this fine release!

Creativemind

08 May 2019

buddard wrote:
08 May 2019
antic604 wrote:
08 May 2019
No, drag and drop from REs is not supported, but you can click "Send to Track" above the player to accomplish this :D

In the meantime you can download the User Guide from Dropbox!
Oh yes, Send To Track, brilliant.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

JoshuaPhilgarlic

08 May 2019

chimp_spanner wrote:
08 May 2019
Well, I couldn't help but notice that there's space for more than just velocity and octave in those little tabs ;) Perhaps note repeat/ratcheting, probability, etc.?
:D :thumbs_up: !!!

Creativemind

08 May 2019

buddard wrote:
08 May 2019
Mataya wrote:
08 May 2019
:thumbs_up:

Will future updates be free, obviously I mean for people who've purchased it?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

• Information