ARCUS User Knobs

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
starship
RE Developer

07 May 2019

Coming soon:
http://alien-seed.com/arcus/index.html

arcus-colors.png
arcus-colors.png (301.35 KiB) Viewed 2988 times

Crumbfort

07 May 2019

Ooooohhh yes this looks dope! Been wanting something like this, looking forward to it.
Descent: Legends of the Dark // Darkeport Productions // The LotR: ACG // Blue Zones (Netflix) // Chef's Table (Netflix)

(Composer for visual media / Adeptus Mechanicus Synthseer)

starship
RE Developer

07 May 2019

PATCH COMPETITION:
There will be a patch competition when I release this (pretty soon).

Top 10 or so get a free ARCUS. #1 gets a KRON (or something big in the future if you already own it)

Take your time, and use stock devices only. Feel free to make 'em complex.

The top X (top 10 + more) sets of patches will get put in the next version, released after the competition ends. So the goal is to have a bunch of awesome patches, community-sourced :), that anyone can use.

Prefer sets of patches, i.e. more than one. Take your time and give me the final version. :)

(May end up giving away more than 10, just winging it here. Maybe another KRON too, who knows.
Could also do another category that use other REs, but I can't easily judge these, so maybe winners can do it. winging it!)

starship
RE Developer

07 May 2019

* will come up with prize equivalents :) if you just decide to buy it and get in the top 10+. got PSDNs to give away, etc. so feel free.

* multiple patches using the same template are fine: variations on a well-crafted set of ARCUS's and synths, etc. quality over quantity, but prefer > 1. :) :)

cheers!

starship
RE Developer

07 May 2019

Crumbfort wrote:
07 May 2019
Ooooohhh yes this looks dope! Been wanting something like this, looking forward to it.
sweet! :)

Loque

07 May 2019

Looks good and cool idea!
Reason12, Win10

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

08 May 2019

As many know I use the CV8x4 a lot, this device I have been beta testing and using over the last few months, as much as I love the CV8x4 and as much as it has appeared in my video's this little thing as simple as it may look had changed my workflow so much for the better.

The 2 big plus points for me off the bat are the negitive values and the curves, no need for all that extra wiring.....

The PoohBear...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tips & Tutorial's viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7503909
PoohBears Reason Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqCNsA ... p4cQF4j-8A
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Soundcloud Page ....... Nektar Mappings

starship
RE Developer

09 May 2019

:)

A hardcore set of custom knobs with serious visual feedback and tons of control, shaping, curving, etc.
  • high/mid/low shaping, midpoint curving (relative or fixed with multiple functions), s-curving, etc.
  • bi/uni/note/etc. modes and each section can use other knobs and performance properties as its source.
  • a general smoother and options such as what to do with the knobs when their source is pointing elsewhere.
  • flexible outputs (3 simple ones, 3 with invert, negate and amount adjusters).
  • mod inputs (knob and midpoint) that also allow it to be a CV shaper.
  • 2 basic display options: number displays for precision and access to all properties; plot displays for visualization with some access to the properties.
  • the main knobs are rainbow-colored (direct visual feedback on the knob position).
There are definitely things I left out of this to keep it 1U and "simple" :) ... but it's got a lot of flexibility.

Check this for the full feature list: http://alien-seed.com/arcus/index.html

electrofux

11 May 2019

That is something for me :-)

starship
RE Developer

14 May 2019

Now in the shop!
And on sale till July.

[edit: fixed link :)]
https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... ser-knobs/
Last edited by starship on 14 May 2019, edited 1 time in total.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

14 May 2019

starship wrote:
14 May 2019
Now in the shop!
And on sale till July.

https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/product_page/12250/
I got a 404 on that link.

this one works. https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... ser-knobs/

Regards
PoohBear

starship
RE Developer

14 May 2019

haha, shit. copied from the wrong place. thanks!

Crumbfort

14 May 2019

Awesome! Bought!
Descent: Legends of the Dark // Darkeport Productions // The LotR: ACG // Blue Zones (Netflix) // Chef's Table (Netflix)

(Composer for visual media / Adeptus Mechanicus Synthseer)

zoidkirb

15 May 2019

I like this a lot! Two things, ARCUS makes me feel better about not having a Combinator 2.0. And I'm finding this thing shines when hooked up to RE's such as eXpanse and the Noise Engineering synths - ie devices that have a full set of CV inputs in the rear.

Loque

15 May 2019

When does the contest starts?
Reason12, Win10

starship
RE Developer

15 May 2019

Sweet!!!

Yeah, ditto on the combinator 2.0 sentiment. :) Don't know about you all, but IMO, the more CV inputs, the better! If they can fit. :) Wish the ARCUS had more, but that's a possible future feature.

re: the contest, I goofed. Currently talking to the RT admins b/c they want some coordination... and like a total noob, I didn't read the competition sticky post till I was about to post the rules. :) So hopefully I'll hear back today or so and know what's up.

mjxl

15 May 2019

Awesome idea, lot of cool sounds will come with these :D

Boombastix
Competition Winner

21 May 2019

starship wrote:
14 May 2019
Now in the shop!
And on sale till July.
Just double checking - until June 30th?
What is Note Mode - wasn't explained in the vid, and the manual only has a one liner, but it sounds interesting, soooo, what is it? :shock:
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Loque

21 May 2019

Boombastix wrote:
21 May 2019
starship wrote:
14 May 2019
Now in the shop!
And on sale till July.
What is Note Mode - wasn't explained in the vid, and the manual only has a one liner, but it sounds interesting, soooo, what is it? :shock:
AFAIU you can control the knobs by (midi keyboard or CV) notes. Works interesting, especially if you use a exponential mapping, you can go around some lacking Note-inputs of devices like filters.
Reason12, Win10

starship
RE Developer

23 May 2019

Loque wrote:
21 May 2019
Boombastix wrote:
21 May 2019

AFAIU you can control the knobs by (midi keyboard or CV) notes. Works interesting, especially if you use a exponential mapping, you can go around some lacking Note-inputs of devices like filters.
My bad, didn't get a notification. :)

Yeah, the intro sale is going on till the end of June.

And btw, still waiting to hear back about the patch competition. I'll start it next week if I don't. I feel bad about this, saying it's going to happen and then just twiddling my thumbs. :)

Notes:
The note mode option is used when the device receives notes via a combinator. It's not very fancy... The mono mode will go back to previous notes when notes turn off. The poly mode doesn't. Basically it comes in handy if you want to route notes through an ARCUS into an instrument. The two modes work better for their corresponding instrument polyphony modes.

And there are two polarity modes, notes and smooth notes, that will display the note values. The first one snaps the output to the nearest whole note. The second doesn't but displays the nearest note. It's equivalent to unipolar (and velocity) as far as the output goes. They just display differently.

starship
RE Developer

30 May 2019

So before I start the patch competition (still haven't heard back :) and lost my internet for almost a week due to lightning! :))....

Anyone have any thoughts? Is there interest still, now that I kinda announced it'd happen and then just didn't do shit for a couple weeks?

I don't want to be too "greedy" on what I'm asking for, but I feel like I'd better judge patches if I had more than 1 from users, and the end result would be cooler for users, having a bunch of named folders.. or however it works out, maybe by category with handles in the patch names.

I was also thinking I could do something like a first round of judging by single patches, and those that make the cut get prizes and are asked to make some more, which is competition for the bigger prize(s). Prizes being what I said (10 ARCUS' and a KRON, with substitutions if you own 'em) plus more if there's a lot of entries. Also thinking, if it's cool, to include non-winners in the final set. It all depends on the entries. :)

Judging by me, unless anyone's got strong opinions otherwise.

And re: stock devices... bare minimum, I'd like to have stock devices only (maybe the KRON too) for at least one patch from each user, so I can easily judge them. If I have to trial all of the rad REs out there, I won't be able to for a future competition and/or when I have money to actually buy 'em. :) And bare minimum, I'd like some patches, if not most/all, to be usable by anyone. Plus, it's a headache organization-wise. E.g. if a bunch of people want to use a popular synth and no other REs, that'd be easy to put in a folder. But if everyone's got their personal library and has to list half a dozen different REs in each patch name, it's not going to make for a good "universal" patch set.

So seriously, anyone have thoughts, preferences, warnings, etc.? :)

And thanks to everyone who bought it so far! :) :)

mjxl

30 May 2019

Totally, can we do whatever our minds leads us to?
Should we stay within a limit, or doesnt it matter (since they will be inside combinators anyways) ?

Loque

30 May 2019

Please do not make it too complicated. A simple competition would be nice. Let's see what the ppl come up with... A chance for everybody to dive a bit deeper in the CV world.
Reason12, Win10

starship
RE Developer

30 May 2019

re: do whatever? Sure!! That's halfway the point! :) I'd like to see stuff I wouldn't think of *and* hear stuff that'll make me feel bad about my own patch-making skills. "Oh shit, you can do that with a Thor?!" Etc. ;)

re: limits... you mean like number of devices? Nope! :)

re: not too complicated: gotcha!

Loque

30 May 2019

starship wrote:
30 May 2019
re: do whatever? Sure!! That's halfway the point! :) I'd like to see stuff I wouldn't think of *and* hear stuff that'll make me feel bad about my own patch-making skills. "Oh shit, you can do that with a Thor?!" Etc. ;)

re: limits... you mean like number of devices? Nope! :)

re: not too complicated: gotcha!
I guess some useful limits would be no VST and no payed RE...
Reason12, Win10

• Information