Complex-1 low adoption rate? I just bought it, did you?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
stxlm

07 May 2019

I realise it's not even been out for five months. But there seems to be very little buzz about it - almost no tutorials, "how do i?" or "look what i did!" posts, here or elsewhere. Is it too, well, complex? Too expensive? Pointless, since we already have VCV? Or do people who are interested in modular find it too limited at a first glance?

I can only speak for myself, but I only just decided to buy it, after having a glance when it came out.
I have to admit, I expected interchangeable modules like in Thor, and was a bit disappointed when it wasn't like that.
But after watching the DivKid tutorial, I know I'll be learning new things about this synth for years, like I did with Thor.
Except not from tutorials, apparently! It would be awesome if Prop's could do a QuikTips series for it.

BRIGGS

07 May 2019

stxlm wrote:
07 May 2019
I realise it's not even been out for five months. But there seems to be very little buzz about it - almost no tutorials, "how do i?" or "look what i did!" posts, here or elsewhere. Is it too, well, complex? Too expensive? Pointless, since we already have VCV? Or do people who are interested in modular find it too limited at a first glance?

I can only speak for myself, but I only just decided to buy it, after having a glance when it came out.
I have to admit, I expected interchangeable modules like in Thor, and was a bit disappointed when it wasn't like that.
But after watching the DivKid tutorial, I know I'll be learning new things about this synth for years, like I did with Thor.
Except not from tutorials, apparently! It would be awesome if Prop's could do a QuikTips series for it.
Yes, I bought it yesterday. I kind of like the preset module layout...it gives more focus to routing/wiring vs "where do I put my oscillator, filter, etc.?"

I admit, I was at first, disappointed too...then, I started to listen more to the sounds.
r11s

reddust

07 May 2019

BRIGGS wrote:
07 May 2019
...then, I started to listen more to the sounds.
That exactly what moved me to buy it too. In my opinion it's a very interesting device, at least if you think you can use that kind of sounds in your music.

BRIGGS

07 May 2019

Here's the DivKid tutorial, for those who have not seen it yet:

Last edited by BRIGGS on 08 May 2019, edited 1 time in total.
r11s

mjxl

07 May 2019

I also bought it yesterday, listened to a couple of presets and then dove into cabling this thing up. This thing is just epic.

Try to route things where you didn't think they should go, put external CV and Audio in it and prepare for amazing textures.
I sent kicks, drones and other shit into the oscillators, then I've put Europa into the CV inputs with 2 gate patterns that cancel each other out.

Let's just say that I went to bed waaaaayyyy past bedtime, but it was damn worth it. :thumbs_up:

MannequinRaces

07 May 2019

Compared to the more workhorse synths like Europa, Expanse, etc. I think Complex-1 is more of a niche synth so maybe sales are slow, hence the deep discount. It's hard to say though because everybody (it seems like everybody!) is going bonkers for modular hardware / software. Not gonna lie, I do feel a bit intimidated by Complex-1 but know it's only a matter of me putting in the time to learn it. Half off is a bargain for this synth. It sounds amazing and offers sounds in the rack I've never heard before. Agree there needs to be more learning resources for it.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

07 May 2019

I like things to be simple. So when someone releases a synth called Complex I'm not exactly rushing to go and buy it.

Also at this point there's simply so many synths to choose from. I have too many synths in my rack fighting for my attention already.
I listened to the demos. Thought it sounded pretty nice but nothing that screams "Buy me".

I'm sure it's a good synth for people who enjoy complex toys though.

hurricane
Competition Winner

07 May 2019

I have zero time or patience to mess around with a modular synth, and even if they gave it away for free I still wouldn't use it.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

diminished
Competition Winner

07 May 2019

I usually roll with presets, customized presets, happy accidents and randomization. I thought about "going modular" but it's way too time consuming. At maximum I have an hour or two per day of me-time, so I shy away from things that are too complex. I want to get shit done and not spend said hour on patching cables.
I also have all the Rob Papens, but never touched a single knob. But damn, those tons of presets!

10 years ago I would have loved to have sth like Complex-1, and I understand everyone who enjoys modular! For me, times have changed :)
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

WongoTheSane

07 May 2019

Modular is never about the destination, it's all about the journey. If you're using this to quickly make a sound for the song you're supposed to deliver in an hour, you're using it wrong. It's about relaxing and playing with the most elaborate toy you could ever imagine, like a sound Meccano where any combination yields wonderful sounds. Sometimes, some of them are good enough to use in a song: great, build a song upon them! But it's a happy accident (to quote mjxl), not a goal. The whole point is to explore, have fun and... take a break from making music!

kuhliloach

07 May 2019

Oh I'd love this thing but unfortunately the average price I pay for a synth is between free and ten dollars. So maybe one day, if it's part of a bundle or goes on crazy sale.

Libraquaricorn

07 May 2019

I tried it today for the first time and I am tempted because it evidently is a great synth. Only problem is I already have a ton of synths that cover this niche, and more.... Buchla Easel V, Softube Modular, Xils Lab LE, Reaktor Blocks, Moog Modular V, Arp 2600 V.... I even have a Volca Modular. But at 49 spendolas I must say the Complex-1 is a steal! It's just a lttte late to the party and I've already made more cool friends than I'm able to entertain... I havent bought any new softsynths in 2019....just the Volca, which is hardware..... maybe I"ll treat myself...

reggie1979

07 May 2019

hurricane wrote:
07 May 2019
I have zero time or patience to mess around with a modular synth, and even if they gave it away for free I still wouldn't use it.
Yeah, I hear ya but I decided to demo it anyways. The presets are mostly fun and it's not really that complicated after all (see video in this thread)

The thing I don't understand yet is how to make the initial setting playable with the keyboard instead of just sounding. Right now I have to play with it by using another preset first.

Also, is there no way to apply midi learn to this? That could be a deal breaker.

Jackjackdaw

07 May 2019

For midi learn you need to hide the cables with the 'show cables' button. Then when you right click on a knob you get the option

WongoTheSane

07 May 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
07 May 2019
The thing I don't understand yet is how to make the initial setting playable with the keyboard instead of just sounding. Right now I have to play with it by using another preset first.
What do you mean? The Init Patch by default has the connexions needed to be playable with the keyboard (Key1 to Pitch input in the Osc section, Gate to Trig In in the ADSR section, and Env in the same section to Vol 1 in the Output Mixer). Is it not the case on your end?

reggie1979

07 May 2019

Jackjackdaw wrote:
07 May 2019
For midi learn you need to hide the cables with the 'show cables' button. Then when you right click on a knob you get the option
DOH!

Crumbfort

07 May 2019

Yeah, I love Complex-1. It sounds fantastic and is just delightful to use (I'm a big modular nerd so take that as you will! :puf_bigsmile: ).
Descent: Legends of the Dark // Darkeport Productions // The LotR: ACG // Blue Zones (Netflix) // Chef's Table (Netflix)

(Composer for visual media / Adeptus Mechanicus Synthseer)

reggie1979

07 May 2019

WongoTheSane wrote:
07 May 2019
reggie1979 wrote:
07 May 2019
What do you mean? The Init Patch by default has the connexions needed to be playable with the keyboard (Key1 to Pitch input in the Osc section, Gate to Trig In in the ADSR section, and Env in the same section to Vol 1 in the Output Mixer). Is it not the case on your end?
Sorry I wasn't more clear, the patch "empty (no routings)" is under the "templates and examples" presets. That just gives me a basic start from scratch. When I apply your method, I get what sounds like a click, so that is progress. I haven't read the manual or even finished the video (about half way through) so apologies for jumping the gun.

Crumbfort

07 May 2019

Hey reggie, here's a couple screenshots of basic routing patches I whipped up real quick that might help get you going:

Complex-1 Basic 01.png
Complex-1 Basic 01.png (487.83 KiB) Viewed 3583 times
Complex-1 Basic 02.png
Complex-1 Basic 02.png (477 KiB) Viewed 3583 times

EDIT: Also, apologies if I'm telling you something you already know! Heh.
Descent: Legends of the Dark // Darkeport Productions // The LotR: ACG // Blue Zones (Netflix) // Chef's Table (Netflix)

(Composer for visual media / Adeptus Mechanicus Synthseer)

reggie1979

07 May 2019

Nope, I'm learnin', all info is greatly appreciated!

challism

08 May 2019

It's really too bad that the CVs can't be plugged in/out of other devices, the way they can on the back of the rack. I would be so cool if you could patch 2 Complex-1s together. Or use Lectric Panda Shape RE to run as the oscillator, of instance. And I'm really surprised to see only 2 CV in and 2 CV outs on the back panel. This thing should be plastered with CV ins/outs.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Loque

08 May 2019

challism wrote:
08 May 2019
It's really too bad that the CVs can't be plugged in/out of other devices, the way they can on the back of the rack. I would be so cool if you could patch 2 Complex-1s together. Or use Lectric Panda Shape RE to run as the oscillator, of instance. And I'm really surprised to see only 2 CV in and 2 CV outs on the back panel. This thing should be plastered with CV ins/outs.
You can interconnect 2 Complex via back output and input. What else do you need?

Agree to more input and outputs, even if it would be a bit difficult to handle them.
Reason12, Win10

challism

08 May 2019

Loque wrote:
08 May 2019
challism wrote:
08 May 2019
You can interconnect 2 Complex via back output and input. What else do you need?

Agree to more input and outputs, even if it would be a bit difficult to handle them.
I'm just complaining, OK!

But it would be cool to be able to connect 2 synths from any of the front panel CVs, is all I'm saying. Just like you can in the real world.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

botnotbot

08 May 2019

In terms of using another RE as an oscillator, seems like the audio inputs would allow that, right? And you can run the audio outs through a filter and even back into itself (assuming you run at a low enough buffer size to avoid feedback latency, but that would presumably be an issue if you were to interconnect two Complex-1’s in a feedback loop anyway).

I don’t know if we need a whole new type of front panel routing when the back panel seems to remain confusing to folks. MIDI routing first, please!

boingy

08 May 2019

Yeah, way too Complex. I'm looking forward to Complex-2, where they add cabling to the sides and top of the unit. Maybe you could roll a dice to see which side it shows you. I really feel the urge for more cables that I can show and hide...

And while I'm having a whinge, am I the only person that things the graphical look of the thing is, well, crap? Those controls look like they were drawn by a 3 year old in a hurry.

• Information