Is Reason 11 the most anticipated Reason release ever?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
raymondh

29 Apr 2019

pushedbutton wrote:
29 Apr 2019
I'd argue the most anticipated Reason wasn't even Reason, Record was a game changer.
I concur.
And they did a pretty great job integrating Reason and Record back into one product I reckon.

Reason Rack Extensions would be hot off the list as the next big thing I reckon.

guitfnky

29 Apr 2019

Rack Extensions came completely out of the blue, as I recall. I started with Record+Reason Duo, so I don’t know what kind of expectation there was leading up to version 5, but it seems like most of their big announcements take us by surprise. part of the excitement comes from not knowing what Props will have up their sleeves.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

CloudsOfSound

29 Apr 2019

highmarcs wrote:
29 Apr 2019
Does anyone know if Reason can do proper crossfades between audio clips yet?

I'd like to start using Reason more again, and I remember this was one of the things that bothered me.
Can't you just select the audio clips and choose a tiny fade-in / fade-out amount at the top of the sequencer?
No need to go into comp edit.

Don't know if this is "proper crossfading", but it usually works for me...

:reason: Reason 10 running on  MacBook Pro 16" 2019
(6-Core Intel Core i7 / AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4GB / 16GB RAM)
macOS Catalina v.10.15.2
Software Developer and Wannabe Musician

guitfnky

29 Apr 2019

CloudsOfSound wrote:
29 Apr 2019
highmarcs wrote:
29 Apr 2019
Does anyone know if Reason can do proper crossfades between audio clips yet?

I'd like to start using Reason more again, and I remember this was one of the things that bothered me.
Can't you just select the audio clips and choose a tiny fade-in / fade-out amount at the top of the sequencer?
No need to go into comp edit.

Don't know if this is "proper crossfading", but it usually works for me...

I don’t think that sort of overlapping fade works...whichever clip is “on top” is the only one you’re hearing. the result isn’t really a crossfade. you’ll hear whichever one’s on top completely fade in (or out), but the fade for whichever clip is on the bottom will be cut off by the clip on top. I could be wrong, but I’m fairly certain that’s how it works.

guitfnky

29 Apr 2019

also, a lot of the time, it’s useful to use longer crossfades, in which case that method definitely won’t work.

Marco Raaphorst

30 Apr 2019

I remember back in the day when all we had was version 1.0

chimp_spanner

30 Apr 2019

It's definitely all workflow for me from this point. VST performance is where I want it to be. The built in instruments and effects do everything I need them to and racks/VSTs have me covered for the rest.

I know there are a lot of exotic and exciting requests but seriously, folders are top top top of my list. Clarity and speed are everything when I have to work fast. Being able to dump my drums in a folder, my synths in another, vocals in another, then all of those into one that I can cut, move, copy, etc. would speed up the arranging process for me 10 fold.

Second would probably be visibility controls in the mixer. Create groups and turn them on and off so I can remove vocals from the mix console, or only deal with drums.

And third would be auto-device order sync, so I can re-arrange my track order in any view and have it reflected in the others.

Those things alone would save me so much time. That's before other things like an improved browser, full multi-channel MIDI in and out for devices, crossfading and a small handful of other features. Once we get those kinds of things, Reason will be damn near perfect for me.

EdGrip

30 Apr 2019

Agreed - especially now that performance is addressed, I think if 11 is a "clarity and organisation" update, that would be a Good Thing. Reason can sometimes be a messy or untidy workspace in various ways and it would be good to get on top of that.
I'd love the option to use a channel strip on send effects (and to send the send effects) without mute/solo behaviour being broken.

Someone mentioned the comp editor. I've only got really stuck in with the comp editor a couple of times. On both occasions, just comping a few takes and setting volume and fades brought my laptop to its knees. You've never heard fans whirring so hard. Not sure why managing the playback settings of a few WAV files should be more taxing than running a VK-2 or a Repro5.
I don't know how this comping performance compares to other more audio-centric DAWs. The comping interface feels quite fiddly and graphically a bit mid-2000s.

I've skipped 10 so I'm more likely to jump on 11.

reddust

30 Apr 2019

For me the most anticipated version of Reason was 10.3 because of the VST performance improvements. I could need some more improvements but none as much as good working VSTi's inside Reason

hurricane
Competition Winner

30 Apr 2019

I'm not highly anticipating the next version of Reason because I have no idea what they're planning, and you can speculate all you want, but you don't know either. You can dream - and honestly that idea of turning Reason into Reaktor is just that - a dream...and a very niche dream at that. A more practical and popular update would target the countless people that use Reason to make hip hop, all the singer/songwriters that use Reason as a simple sketchpad, and all the brand new users who started out on R10 (since it is claimed that R10 was the most successful update in Reason history). Then there's the good lot of us who use Reason to actually make music and could give a flying f*ck about "building stuff" (like me lol), and the top-40 EDM guys who are all about presets and working fast.

This is why I don't think Propellerhead are going to geek-out Reason anytime soon, and if they are, it'll be baby steps, not a full blown, sudden transformation. Because can you imagine - "Reason 11 - The Modular Synth The 40 People on Reasontalk Always Wanted" - yeah, that's not going to happen.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

chimp_spanner

30 Apr 2019

hurricane wrote:
30 Apr 2019
I'm not highly anticipating the next version of Reason because I have no idea what they're planning, and you can speculate all you want, but you don't know either. You can dream - and honestly that idea of turning Reason into Reaktor is just that - a dream...and a very niche dream at that. A more practical and popular update would target the countless people that use Reason to make hip hop, all the singer/songwriters that use Reason as a simple sketchpad, and all the brand new users who started out on R10 (since it is climbed that R10 was the most successful update in Reason history). Then there's the good lot of us who use Reason to actually make music and could give a flying f*ck about "building stuff" (like me lol), and the top-40 EDM guys who are all about presets and working fast.

This is why I don't think Propellerhead are going to geek-out Reason anytime soon, and if they are, it'll be baby steps, not a full blown, sudden transformation. Because can you imagine - "Reason 11 - The Modular Synth The 40 People on Reasontalk Always Wanted" - yeah, that's not going to happen.
Yeah totally agree. Which is why the stuff that excites me is the mundaine workflow/organisational stuff haha. Like a tag/keyword based search for presets and devices. And all the other stuff I mentioned.

TBH Complex 1 scratched a major itch I had for the build-it-yourself modular side of things. More than happy with that.

guitfnky

30 Apr 2019

yeah, it’s speculation and no one knows for sure, but Props have been churning out many of the most requested features at a pretty good clip, for some time now—I’d be very surprised if the speculation that version 11 will be focused largely on DAW-quality-of-life enhancements turns out to be wrong. that seems to be a pretty strong consensus as far as most users’ number one priority right now, and if past is prologue, I’d say it’s a fairly safe bet that’ll be the main selling point of the next version. I think a lot of people will be very disappointed if that’s not the case, and I suspect Props knows that.

boingy

30 Apr 2019

What we want: A thousand small improvements all over the place.
What PH need: A big thing to be the headline for the new version. It's hard to sell a thousand small improvements.
What we'll get: A bit of both. I'm hoping more effort will go into the improvements rather than YAS (yet another synth).

reggie1979

30 Apr 2019

N'M, I found an x fade viddy. Every time I think I understand this program I get some hidden gem.

I hate the manual/guide. Never feel like I can get the info I need :(
Last edited by reggie1979 on 30 Apr 2019, edited 1 time in total.

reggie1979

30 Apr 2019

BTW, doesn't it have x fades in the comp section? It's not like the code is foreign.

I found this:

I'm not sure what is going on here. I'll play around with it.

joeyluck

30 Apr 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
30 Apr 2019
BTW, doesn't it have x fades in the comp section? It's not like the code is foreign.

I'm not sure what is going on here. I'll play around with it.
Olivier put this together a couple years ago. Perhaps you'll find it helpful.

https://www.reasontalk.com/2017/03/tuto ... dio-clips/

CloudsOfSound

30 Apr 2019

Another Reason why I use Studio One 4 Professional for all my recording needs. It actually is a professional recording solution.

When you join two events in S1, it creates tiny crossfades automatically (if enabled in settings), plus you have a bunch of options via right-click menu and also through the use of Macros. You can basically write your own functionality for what happens when merging events through a macro if you're not satisfied with the built in functionality.

Propellerhead needs to get their basic functionality in place if they want to be considered a competitor in todays DAW market.
macOS Catalina v.10.15.2

reggie1979

30 Apr 2019

How odd, I never had any idea! Convoluted and overly complex but DOABLE!

Another handy workaround from the props, props to the props!

joeyluck

30 Apr 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
30 Apr 2019
How odd, I never had any idea! Convoluted and overly complex but DOABLE!

Another handy workaround from the props, props to the props!
Yeah it's there.

Although I'd still prefer to have different curve shapes for fades in the sequencer and alt audio takes presented the same as multiple MIDI notes lanes...so I can see it all in one place and mute and solo just the same.

reggie1979

30 Apr 2019

CloudsOfSound wrote:
30 Apr 2019
Another Reason why I use Studio One 4 Professional for all my recording needs. It actually is a professional recording solution.

When you join two events in S1, it creates tiny crossfades automatically (if enabled in settings), plus you have a bunch of options via right-click menu and also through the use of Macros. You can basically write your own functionality for what happens when merging events through a macro if you're not satisfied with the built in functionality.

Propellerhead needs to get their basic functionality in place if they want to be considered a competitor in todays DAW market.
Yeah. Didn't S1 people come from Cubase?

Remember, again, I just found basic xfading it's just not as easy as the S1 model.

S1 is a robust unit (was just talking about this on another site) but I always feel like I'm learning it instead of getting things done. Also, I didn't like the ATOM and found that the faderport 2018 to be too remedial vs the faderport 8.....which I didn't want to buy (I don't really have the real estate for it anyways) and just canceled my splice.

Honestly, Reason does just about everything I really need and if I was a serious mixing I could just re-apply my splice and use it that way.

CloudsOfSound

30 Apr 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
30 Apr 2019

Yeah. Didn't S1 people come from Cubase?

Remember, again, I just found basic xfading it's just not as easy as the S1 model.

S1 is a robust unit (was just talking about this on another site) but I always feel like I'm learning it instead of getting things done. Also, I didn't like the ATOM and found that the faderport 2018 to be too remedial vs the faderport 8.....which I didn't want to buy (I don't really have the real estate for it anyways) and just canceled my splice.

Honestly, Reason does just about everything I really need and if I was a serious mixing I could just re-apply my splice and use it that way.
Yes, S1 development was originally lead by two influential developers from Steinberg, now one of them has switched to EastWest Studios, but still some great developers left.

I find the ATOM incredibly useful, what about it didn't you like?

I love Reason as well, and I do feel that it is the most creative DAW out there, but when it comes to recording and editing audio it just doesn't cut it yet.
I hope that this will change in future versions.

I recently made the jump from Ableton Live Suite and purchased Reason 10, so I'm still learning and I keep stumbling into these "what? isn't that implemented??" moments, but usually I find workarounds.

I recently got S1 version 4 as a dirt-cheap upgrade from S1 v3 Artist (free with an audio interface), it was like $150 for the full professional version, so I've been doing the things that is a PITA with Reason in S1, and use Reason as a creative, fun and awesome tool for experimenting with sound design and mixing.

I've just settled with using the best tool for the job, even if this means I have to use two different DAWs for different tasks...
macOS Catalina v.10.15.2

reggie1979

30 Apr 2019

The number one thing I didn't like about the ATOM was the pads and the velocity sensitivity. Maybe it was just mine but I can do MUCH better with my basic impact LX (old school version)

I also didn't like that other than impact (which I miss dearly) the pads didn't work natively. Maybe the fixed this but it was annoying that running say, Arsenal, wouldn't have just the 16 pads in order. It was 13 pads with a bank controller up/down on the 15th/16th pads respectively.

IT's almost as if they are like "nope, only in our proprietary impact can you use this feature" (shrug)

Also, the throw speed was just TOO SLOW for the 4 controllers. Someone said they addressed this, but I don't know.

fieldframe
RE Developer

02 May 2019

It can be hard to compare levels of anticipation historically, but in terms of cyclic anticipation, we're at the peak! We are now officially 18 months past the release of Reason 10, which is (checking my spreadsheet) slightly above the three-version average. So Reason 11 could be announced any day now.

stratatonic

02 May 2019

fieldframe wrote:
02 May 2019
It can be hard to compare levels of anticipation historically, but in terms of cyclic anticipation, we're at the peak! We are now officially 18 months past the release of Reason 10, which is (checking my spreadsheet) slightly above the three-version average. So Reason 11 could be announced any day now.
I was thinking the same thing - that we were due. But with the additional coding to do 10.3, I think the timeline has been moved to the fall.
I'm not even going to say what I want either. Propellerhead never seems to listen anyways.
I'm looking forward to see what they offer for R11. Maybe it'll be time for me to make the move from R8.

guitfnky

02 May 2019

stratatonic wrote:
02 May 2019
fieldframe wrote:
02 May 2019
I was thinking the same thing - that we were due. But with the additional coding to do 10.3, I think the timeline has been moved to the fall.
I'm not even going to say what I want either. Propellerhead never seems to listen anyways.
I'm looking forward to see what they offer for R11. Maybe it'll be time for me to make the move from R8.
I’d be incredibly surprised if they hadn’t been working on the performance issues in both 10.3 and 11 in parallel. I doubt the work there has pushed the next major version back significantly.

as for Props never listening...that’s...kind of an absurd thing to say at this point. maybe they’re not implementing the things you specifically want, but damn, they’ve been giving the user community as a whole big-ticket wishlist items with pretty much every single release.

• Information