Is Reason 11 the most anticipated Reason release ever?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
KGB

29 Apr 2019

To me, it is. If they address several key areas such as the sequencer and resolution, I could see myself staying with R11 for a long time without upgrading. Much like how many FL users haven't upgraded from FL11 because it's such a solid product. At this point, I'm somewhat satisfied with my workflow so much that if R11 doesn't address key areas, I won't upgrade...and I've upgraded to every version upon release since 2.5 except 4.0. I've never been this excited for a Reason release before knowing its features.

Whats your opinion?

hurricane
Competition Winner

29 Apr 2019

Hasn't every major point release been the most anticipated Reason release ever?
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

MrFigg
Competition Winner

29 Apr 2019

Nah. 7 was.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

aeox
Competition Winner

29 Apr 2019

KGB wrote:
29 Apr 2019
To me, it is. If they address several key areas such as the sequencer and resolution, I could see myself staying with R11 for a long time without upgrading. Much like how many FL users haven't upgraded from FL11 because it's such a solid product. At this point, I'm somewhat satisfied with my workflow so much that if R11 doesn't address key areas, I won't upgrade...and I've upgraded to every version upon release since 2.5 except 4.0. I've never been this excited for a Reason release before knowing its features.

Whats your opinion?
Considering that FLstudio upgrades are free for life, I don't see why anyone wouldn't upgrade. They made some weird changes but nothing major that you can' t get use to in a day. The pluses heavily outweigh any minuses! There aren't any downsides, well, unless they pirated it and have to go find a new torrent to reinstall ;)

pushedbutton

29 Apr 2019

I'd argue the most anticipated Reason wasn't even Reason, Record was a game changer.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

KGB

29 Apr 2019

pushedbutton wrote:
29 Apr 2019
I'd argue the most anticipated Reason wasn't even Reason, Record was a game changer.
Valid point here. But my point is that we don't know any features for R11 at this time and they've addressed many lingering issues in the past few years. Right now, 10.3 is almost so much of a "complete" product to where I only need a few more things to be totally satisfied and I won't see a real need to upgrade.

CloudsOfSound

29 Apr 2019

I'll upgrade to 11 if, and only if I get:
1. Punch-in / Punch-out recording for both audio and MIDI / instruments
2. Loop-record MIDI / instruments to takes / note-lanes like it is working with audio

Wouldn't mind some sort of chord track in the sequencer as well, something like the one in Studio One 4, but that is asking too much I think.
Also, VST3 support should definitely be a priority as more and more developers are forced over to using only VST3 by Lord Steinberg...
:reason: Reason 10 running on  MacBook Pro 16" 2019
(6-Core Intel Core i7 / AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4GB / 16GB RAM)
macOS Catalina v.10.15.2
Software Developer and Wannabe Musician

xbitz

29 Apr 2019

sequencer is far the weakest point IMO, so if the first couple of req. would be solved then I would be super happy viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7510808

would be so nice if we wouldn't have to use hacks like this anymore, scale overlay hack >
:reason: :recycle: :re: :record: :refill: :rt:

CloudsOfSound

29 Apr 2019

xbitz wrote:
29 Apr 2019
would be so nice if we wouldn't have to use hacks like this anymore, scale overlay hack
Nice hack though... Thanks, didn't think of that.
:reason: Reason 10 running on  MacBook Pro 16" 2019
(6-Core Intel Core i7 / AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4GB / 16GB RAM)
macOS Catalina v.10.15.2
Software Developer and Wannabe Musician

Jmax

29 Apr 2019

The Reason VST release was by far the most anticipated in history. I haven't gave Reason 11 much though. But some sequencer improvement would be welcome. The higher resolution would also be so cool.

Heigen5

29 Apr 2019

I have a hunch that Reason 11 will bring in something ubercool so most users can't but upgrade. Maybe Reason will go semi-modular i.e. all the devices go "Lego" and we can build stuff with these legos. It will need a suite that is kind of a "super-combinator". You just load legos to this suite and build. You could move these Legos around like you can with Grain and Europa effects. (i.e. change the routing order). If it doesn't come in the next point-release then maybe Reason will get a workflow overhaul? But yeah, I'm sure, it will be feckin DOPE.

diminished
Competition Winner

29 Apr 2019

Heigen5 wrote:
29 Apr 2019
I have a hunch that Reason 11 will bring in something ubercool so most users can't but upgrade. Maybe Reason will go semi-modular i.e. all the devices go "Lego" and we can build stuff with these legos. It will need a suite that is kind of a "super-combinator". You just load legos to this suite and build. You could move these Legos around like you can with Grain and Europa effects. (i.e. change the routing order). If it doesn't come in the next point-release then maybe Reason will get a workflow overhaul? But yeah, I'm sure, it will be feckin DOPE.
Pressing TAB a third time disassembles every unit that supports it, where you can now rewire and solder things together as you please. Pressing TAB again and you'll open up the internal MIDI devices, where you can now connect and reprogram Player devices and MIDI VST in any way you like, for example running things in parallel and modulating each other, logic gates etc.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

Heigen5

29 Apr 2019

diminished wrote:
29 Apr 2019
Heigen5 wrote:
29 Apr 2019
Pressing TAB a third time disassembles every unit that supports it, where you can now rewire and solder things together as you please. Pressing TAB again and you'll open up the internal MIDI devices, where you can now connect and reprogram Player devices and MIDI VST in any way you like, for example running things in parallel and modulating each other, logic gates etc.
There are lots of advantages if all the stocks and REs would be lego'd though. I call that Lego thing "Re-parts" and the builder a "Suite". When you'd buy Antidote you'd get all of it's oscillators, effects, filters etc. to your Re-parts bank. Then you'd load any of your RE lego's into the suite, move things around and use it's integrated modular matrix and step-sequencer if you'd wanna to. This would be almost like Reaktor then, but easier and faster and more fun. My opinion anyway. I know (as a sound-designer) that it already is possible to use Reason to route and build, but people who have always wanted a more advanced combinator, would get suite, that is even more than 4 +4 more knobs and buttons.
Last edited by Heigen5 on 29 Apr 2019, edited 1 time in total.

KGB

29 Apr 2019

Jmax wrote:
29 Apr 2019
The Reason VST release was by far the most anticipated in history. I haven't gave Reason 11 much though. But some sequencer improvement would be welcome. The higher resolution would also be so cool.
I guess my real point here is mute. I'm saying, without knowing any information about the release, is R11 the most anticipated?

EdGrip

29 Apr 2019

Nah. VST was the big one and they completely sprung that on everyone as a point update!
The must-have features that people are "anticipating" vary a huge amount from person to person just on this forum, and some of them sound quite unlikely to me.
My best guess for most likely features are... sequencer bits and bobs, maybe a graphics overhaul, maybe a dark mixer. General workflow. Those are good things, but not very exciting. They aren't the kind of things you could hotly anticipate.

diminished
Competition Winner

29 Apr 2019

Heigen5 wrote:
29 Apr 2019
diminished wrote:
29 Apr 2019

There are lots of advantages if all the stocks and REs would be lego'd though. I call that Lego thing "Re-parts" and the builder a "Suite". When you'd buy Antidote you'd get all of it's oscillators, effects, filters etc. to your Re-parts bank. Then you'd load any of your RE lego's into the suite, move things around and use it's integrated modular matrix and step-sequencer if you'd wanna to. This would be almost like Reaktor then, but easier and faster and more fun. My opinion anyway. I know (as a sound-designer) that it already is possible to use Reason to route and build, but people who have always wanted a more advanced combinator, would get suite, that is even more than 4 +4 more knobs and buttons.
I wasn't sarcastic! That'd be fucking awesome! :)
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

hurricane
Competition Winner

29 Apr 2019

Heigen5 wrote:
29 Apr 2019
I have a hunch that Reason 11 will bring in something ubercool so most users can't but upgrade. Maybe Reason will go semi-modular i.e. all the devices go "Lego" and we can build stuff with these legos.
And the many of us who don't care about this - what would be in it for US? Cuz if that's R11, I won't upgrade. :puf_smile:
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Heigen5

29 Apr 2019

diminished wrote:
29 Apr 2019
Heigen5 wrote:
29 Apr 2019

Ah, yeah, most people seem to want it seems. Not sure but I'm still pretty sure that this would also mean less CPU usage, as just a LFO lego from Malström would leave everything else out. The lego thing would mean, standardized sizes for every lego, i.e. - every lego that is a filter, would need to be 400*400 as example. This is all doable, but I'm not sure if Props will do it or not. If not in Reason 11, then maybe in the Reason 11.5. ??

Heigen5

29 Apr 2019

Heigen5 wrote:
29 Apr 2019
diminished wrote:
29 Apr 2019

Ah, yeah, most people seem to want it seems. Not sure but I'm still pretty sure that this would also mean less CPU usage, as just a LFO lego from Malström would leave everything else out. The lego thing would mean, standardized sizes for every lego, i.e. - every lego that is a filter, would need to be 400*400 as example. This is all doable, but I'm not sure if Props will do it or not. If not in Reason 11, then maybe in the Reason 11.5. ??
What would you want then?
Anyway, I'd also like shortkey advisor for every section i.e. sequencer, rack etc.
Or how about a DJ/Live mixer when pressing F9?
How about Record everything you press, touch, aka "Record Everything"?
Or overhauled super-versions of old devices? Like merging some devices together and making it compact and easy to use? With clean look and big buttons of course. + perfect experience for everything in Reason.

zoidkirb

29 Apr 2019

This 'Lego' idea has some serious legs I think. Modular (hardware, cherry audio, reaktor, fathom, bitwig 3, vcv rack etc) is on the rise. Reason already being somewhat modular is really well poised to not only jump on that bandwagon but to excel at it. At the very least I'd like Thor to be disassembled for us, I can't remember the last time I used a patch from it but Thor makes it into most of my projects for it's utility.

reggie1979

29 Apr 2019

BTW, what is a realistic timetable considering when "new" releases have dropped?

reggie1979

29 Apr 2019

aeox wrote:
29 Apr 2019
KGB wrote:
29 Apr 2019

Whats your opinion?
Considering that FLstudio upgrades are free for life, I don't see why anyone wouldn't upgrade. They made some weird changes but nothing major that you can' t get use to in a day. The pluses heavily outweigh any minuses! There aren't any downsides, well, unless they pirated it and have to go find a new torrent to reinstall ;)
I could be wrong, but 12 ish and 20 have kinda done some things that are not as "traditional" possibly? Frankly, I don't get on with it very much. It's like a jumbled reaper, it takes extra steps to do basic things (like quantizing input, wow what a mess that is in reaper) or if doing audio, how complex it is to do what is very intuitive in Reason.

bxbrkrz

29 Apr 2019

Hopefully some of us will still upgrade so all of us can benefit from the hard work of paid PH coders.
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

highmarcs

29 Apr 2019

Does anyone know if Reason can do proper crossfades between audio clips yet?

I'd like to start using Reason more again, and I remember this was one of the things that bothered me.

joeyluck

29 Apr 2019

highmarcs wrote:
29 Apr 2019
Does anyone know if Reason can do proper crossfades between audio clips yet?

I'd like to start using Reason more again, and I remember this was one of the things that bothered me.
There is comp edit:
https://www.reasontalk.com/2017/03/tuto ... dio-clips/

But having a selection of curves in the sequencer without having to dive into a separate edit mode would be ideal. I like to see what is going on without having to go into a separate editor to see what it was I did or didn't do.

Also being able to have alt audio takes presented the same way as MIDI note lanes (without having to go into comp edit mode) would be more cohesive. Then users could choose individual fade-in and out types per audio clip (clip X could have a steep curve out and clip Y could have a gradual curve). Users could then mute and solo the takes just the same as MIDI note lanes; all in the same place. It would just be better IMO.

• Information