Yamaha SY85... Finally got round to using it.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
pushedbutton

21 Apr 2019

I just moved into my new flat and I've got a little more space. I'm still using mobile internet which is expensive so no uploads till later this week.
I'm having loads of fun with midi out from reason and audio in from the SY85.
The latency is manageable and it just works. Can't wait to share some retro blips and bloops with you.
Next on the list is to get an external floppy drive for my PC and ram expansions for the synth so I can start feeding it some samples.
I see why people get so into hardware now.

I might be interested in making some refills from it if you're interested, I don't know if it's been done already. If anyone has experience in that sort of thing, are there templates out there that I can use to speed up the process? Any tips would be nice.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

bitley

21 Apr 2019

I'm afraid you can't sample it other than for your own use as it relies on PCM waves. Sorry for bringing the sad message.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

21 Apr 2019

bitley wrote:
21 Apr 2019
I'm afraid you can't sample it other than for your own use as it relies on PCM waves. Sorry for bringing the sad message.
I would appreciate if you clarify what you base this on.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

bitley

21 Apr 2019

Yamaha's PCM waveforms are clearly not something you can sample and re-release.

pushedbutton

21 Apr 2019

bitley wrote:
21 Apr 2019
https://reverb.com/uk/software/samples- ... ample-pack

Best tell these guys then.
I'm not doubting you but on the same token I'm not really looking to make a commercial product out of it, just learning the process and having some fun practicing.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

21 Apr 2019

bitley wrote:
21 Apr 2019
This is (or should be) related to license and/or EULA agreements, perhaps copyright laws. So again, what do you base your statement on?
You sell samples taken from the Fairlight library, correct? (The Fairlight sample library are samples as well, aka PCM)
Propellerhead (and many many others) have 909 PCM drum samples in their libraries (Yes, the 909 hi hats and cymbals are samples), but then also many other drum machines are PCM based, what about that?
Don't you also have drum PCM samples in the products you sell?

Please clarify what you base that statement on. I'm asking for a business interest of mine, but there is also lot's of general discussion about sample packs going on (especially with the rise of Splice/Loopmasters). You have been in the sampling business for a long time, so I'm not trolling, but I actually really want to understand your perspective. But please separate, personal opinion and the real legal aspects. I'm mainly interested in the latter.

bitley

21 Apr 2019

Of course I made sure to check things up before I went on further so that's how I "might" have a clue about these things.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

21 Apr 2019

bitley wrote:
21 Apr 2019
Of course I made sure to check things up before I went on further so that's how I "might" have a clue about these things.
Do you care to explain? That would be appreciated.

bitley

22 Apr 2019

Someone else might be better in english ...explain the basic fundamentals of copyrights when it comes to ROM sample waveforms in a Yamaha synthesizer...

pushedbutton

24 Apr 2019

Made some dreadful music with it.
Please feel free to let me know how dreadful it is.

chimp_spanner

24 Apr 2019

So some very hasty Googling has yielded mixed results. Some say that once you buy the hardware, it's yours to do with as you please.

Others say that if you program your own sounds (in the case of subtractive/FM/etc. synths) then that's fine, but taking 1:1 copies of samples and repackaging them outside of a musical context is not. Potentially making your own patches using the samples and *then* sampling them is okay. I don't know if removing effects from the presets would count, or if you'd need to make substantive changes.

Some say it's generally okay if you don't use any registered names or trademarks to advertise it.

And others still say "just do it". As I'm sure many do. Like, do we really think every 808 sample pack was cleared by Roland? Doubtful. But, it's a gamble I guess.

From a legal standpoint, samples need clearance. No matter how long or short. In practical terms, I think a lot of the times they look the other way (or simply aren't aware of many products). I would say to be safe, just let them know your intentions. Whether or not its commercial, to what extent you'll be modifying vs sampling, etc.

I'm assuming, as the unit is from 1992, that they don't sell it and so it's not like people would grab your refill instead of buying the original? It may also depend if they have their own legacy plugins that emulate it.

Minefield! Short version: check first!

Boombastix
Competition Winner

24 Apr 2019

I started a new thread, as this can be its own. And I expanded a bit of what I found, including US case law involving Roland suing.
Added questions for Bitley and other sample pack/refill producers. It is interesting stuff to say the least... I suggest we move the copyright discussions to this new tread.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7511880

pushedbutton

28 Apr 2019

Last edited by pushedbutton on 05 May 2019, edited 1 time in total.

bitley

28 Apr 2019

fun :-)

internal seq in use there?

I've got a couple of SY85 tracks as well, will look

pushedbutton

28 Apr 2019

Na I'm just scratching the surface, I know it's got a sequencer, just not got to that page in the book yet.

bitley

28 Apr 2019

I made a bunch of patches on it and learned the sequencer (phew) & found this - recorded in 2007

pushedbutton

29 Apr 2019

Ja, det är fett!

bitley

29 Apr 2019

Woooh :-))) U swedish?

pushedbutton

29 Apr 2019

bitley wrote:
29 Apr 2019
Woooh :-))) U swedish?
No, English. But I think that was a mistake of nature.

bitley

29 Apr 2019

Oh, why? I love England!

pushedbutton

30 Apr 2019

Yeah it's ok here, but the whole Brexit thing has been doing everyone's heads in for 3 years now. Bloody Tories.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

30 Apr 2019

pushedbutton wrote:
30 Apr 2019
Yeah it's ok here, but the whole Brexit thing has been doing everyone's heads in for 3 years now. Bloody Tories.
You wanna swap Brexit for Trump? :lol:

boingy

30 Apr 2019

Boombastix wrote:
30 Apr 2019
pushedbutton wrote:
30 Apr 2019
You wanna swap Brexit for Trump? :lol:
I'm happy to blame the Tories for just about anything but in this case I think the phrase should be "Bloody politicians" because none of them are acting in the public interest. The Tories are just jostling for the inevitable leadership contest and Labour will say absolutely anything to bring down the government and increase their chances of getting into power. Neither side gives a toss about Brexit. They are just using it to score points. (Note: other parties are available but are, imo, irrelevant).

pushedbutton

30 Apr 2019

Well I don't want this to turn into another political thread so I'll terminate this discussion by saying vote based on the policies that you agree with, principles have gone out the window. Whoever ends up leading the UK in the next round of elections are going to be in a very weak position.

Anyhow, does anyone know where I can find some tutorial vids on the KY85? I realise this is a bit niche but I find the manual a bit daunting tbh.

• Information