Got Eurorack? Show your Modular Grid!

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
selig
RE Developer

17 Apr 2019

I’m following this discussion about CV control via Reason. For now I’m covered with two channels/voices of Note/Gate/Mod via the Novation SL mkIII (plus CV clock). But if I go beyond that I’ll need something like the ES-8 or similar, so I hope folks keep posting their experiences here!
Selig Audio, LLC

O1B

21 Apr 2019

Hello Selig. About Stages....

- Are the LFOs able to be Reset/Retriggered? Via the Gate?
- Can the phase relationships be altered predictably? Can I have 3 LFO's at the same speed but 120 degrees apart, for example?

Thanks. And, Congrats on the Black Maths. Looks Good. You have a proper amount of Splitters, Filters and Voices, as well.
selig wrote:
16 Apr 2019
and Stages is a BEAST.

Still have 2HP left… ;)
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/856175

selig
RE Developer

21 Apr 2019

O1B wrote:
21 Apr 2019

- Can the phase relationships be altered predictably? Can I have 3 LFO's at the same speed but 120 degrees apart, for example?

Thanks. And, Congrats on the Black Maths. Looks Good. You have a proper amount of Splitters, Filters and Voices, as well.
Yes to LFO’s triggered, or synced to clock via the gate.

No way to alter phase with the current incarnation, which is where Batumi comes in for me!

And my current Maths is not black, couldn’t get it in black at Control so I’ll likely order a panel update so all my “B Voice” main modules are black.

Also order Tendrils (90° cables) for the stuff I never change - will report back about whether it’s a good idea or not when they arrive…
Selig Audio, LLC

O1B

22 Apr 2019

Thank you, Selig.

Stages is on my Order List, now. Thanks for the Trigger/Reset/Clock info.
And, you are Right. Batumi does look useful for Phase manipulation - and reset. I may re-acquire.
When I had the module, I had not worked out what would be useful for my workflow.

Ears is also a great Booster w/ Gate and ENV follow - unless you have that f(x) covered.
And, I repeat. I love the Spider Splitters you have scattered. Very Nice. Very Reason. Like Reason, I usually need more splitters than mergers - unless we're talking "Mixer."

Yes to L-Cables! Nice Find.
I hope they make stackcables with the "L" - for " stuff I never change" - for the usual, necessary, pass-thru/tap.

FYI, Nazca for 'skinny needs' wins.

Len-dril. "a slender threadlike appendage of a climbing plant, often growing in a spiral form, that stretches out and twines around any suitable support." hmmm....
selig wrote:
21 Apr 2019
O1B wrote:
21 Apr 2019

Yes to LFO’s triggered, or synced to clock via the gate.

No way to alter phase with the current incarnation, which is where Batumi comes in for me!

And my current Maths is not black, couldn’t get it in black at Control so I’ll likely order a panel update so all my “B Voice” main modules are black.

Also order Tendrils (90° cables) for the stuff I never change - will report back about whether it’s a good idea or not when they arrive…

Faastwalker

25 Apr 2019

emilng wrote:
17 Apr 2019
If you're going the MIDI control route, the Bastl 1983 MIDI to CV converter includes tuning calibration in the module. One thing I learned about pitch calibration is that the calibration source should be a simple waveform like a sine wave. You're not going to get good results if you're trying to calibrate a complex oscillator that's all FMed and wavefolded.
The Bastl 1983 looks very good as well. I'm adding this one to the list of possible possibilities! :thumbs_up:

selig
RE Developer

26 Apr 2019

Just got some “Tendrals” cables, makes my setup so much easier to use as it keeps the main cables out of the way.

Took just over a week, coming to the US from down under:
https://www.tendrilscables.com/
Selig Audio, LLC

O1B

28 Apr 2019

How many cables did you order? I'm nosy.

Ahhh! I see you bought all the "Green" ones!
selig wrote:
26 Apr 2019
Just got some “Tendrals” cables, makes my setup so much easier to use as it keeps the main cables out of the way.

Took just over a week, coming to the US from down under:
https://www.tendrilscables.com/

Crumbfort

16 Aug 2020

Woo thread necro!

My eurorack system and my usage of it have definitely changed quite a bit over the past year plus. Here's where I'm at now:

Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 7.04.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 7.04.33 PM.png (872.98 KiB) Viewed 2836 times

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1210056

Here's where I'd like to be (somewhat) soon:

Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 6.49.50 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 6.49.50 PM.png (900.79 KiB) Viewed 2836 times

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1295701

Using an Expressive E Touche (CV), Beatstep Pro, and an Arturia Microfreak with this setup. Where are all you folks at with your modular setups nowadays?
Descent: Legends of the Dark // Darkeport Productions // The LotR: ACG // Blue Zones (Netflix) // Chef's Table (Netflix)

(Composer for visual media / Adeptus Mechanicus Synthseer)

TheDragonborg

18 Aug 2020

Getting back into it but nothing crazy expensive...

I'm waiting on these though: Eurorack Hardware ATT - Triple Attenuator, Creative Slices ADSR, Arcus Audio - Passive Mult 2x, and a Behringer 902 VCA.

I already had the MIDI to CV, slew limiter, and LFO modules...

Crumbfort

22 Aug 2020

Noice!! How are you enjoying your euro modules thus far?
Descent: Legends of the Dark // Darkeport Productions // The LotR: ACG // Blue Zones (Netflix) // Chef's Table (Netflix)

Catblack

23 Aug 2020

Here's mine tonight. I've got a bunch more unracked, and over 30 modules I'm building.
20200823_003543.jpg
20200823_003543.jpg (580.86 KiB) Viewed 2623 times
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

Crumbfort

23 Aug 2020

Oh hell yeah!! That's an absolutely dope looking setup. What modules have you DIYed so far, and what are you building now?

Catblack

23 Aug 2020

Crumbfort wrote:
23 Aug 2020
Oh hell yeah!! That's an absolutely dope looking setup. What modules have you DIYed so far, and what are you building now?
I've built 4 nRings, 3 uO_C, 1 T_u, 2 Shades, 2 Links, 5 Pique, 2 Peaks, a 4ms RCD, 4ms SMR, 4ms SWN, Befaco Chopping Kinky, Burst and Joystick, a Miasma (with the mCop mods), a Swirls (Tides clone) 2 Ripples, a couple of different Steiner Parker filters, a Jove, a uBraids, a Beehive (Plaits), a vnicursal vca, Gstorm's 2xADSR, a uDervish, a TSNM, Per|Former, Horstronic Button, a fitzgreyve moog resonator, a DUST OF TIME and a Benjolin. I've also gotten a few broken modules and fixed them. (Yay Triple Sloths! Yay Krach Aus Strom!)

I'm currently working on 7 Erica modules (from the DIY line they just open sourced), 5 fonitronik Thomas Henry designs (2x 555 VCO, 2x LFO and the Cmos ADSR), A bunch of of NLC modules as I got a great deal from someone (329 phaser, 2x Feague, Sauce of Unce, Doof, Bindubba, Div and Conquer, Hyperchaos Deluxe, Dual LPG, Timbre & Timbre), an FM Ogre, Timo's Logic, Steve's MS-22, a Rot8, Atom, Plancks2, Pachinko (Marbles), Quadtec101, and more.

My spreadsheet game is tight. I just ordered 250 thonkiconns and they'll get used up real quick. I've got about a 3rd of the pots I'll need, but I'm waiting on a restock from Tayda... I'm really hitting it hard. Just got a bunch of panel/pcb sets fabbed from China so I've been trading them off to other builders.

Damn.

Crumbfort

25 Aug 2020

Damn, very impressive! :shock:

I've (far less impressively) built:

-Thonk AT AT AT
-Fonitronik Cascade
-2x Befaco ST Mix
-AI Synthesis Matrix Mixer
-AI Synthesis Quad VCA
-NLC Let's Splosh

Still a huge soldering newbie, but I'm really enjoying it! Some of the more spendy kits still freak me out, and I still haven't ventured into buying my own parts separately. Someday, perhaps! :P

TheDragonborg

25 Aug 2020

Audio demo of the synth: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/attachm ... 1598395823

The filter arrived today and it sounds great!

demt

26 Aug 2020

Well ive jumped in and got myself a behringer 19"eurorack within a 19"rack. Im in the process of adding a neutron and model d to the 19"rack and the behringer 19"case /rack slots in underneath them in the same rack.In the post ive got Plaits and a oscillascope and a small filter. In the rack at the moment is a lonely vca possibly for use with Plaits ,Ive allso got crave to sit on the desk in front of the rack for various modulation duties etc
erm in the near future I shall try to involve reason with my rack/eurorack ive looked up es3 and 8, mutant brain just wondering witch route gives me the best bang for a buck any info mutch appreciated,
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

Faastwalker

26 Aug 2020

Just bought a TipTop Audio Mantis case. So have a bit more space to play with now + more power overhead. Going to add a Quad VCA next. A lot of sequencing & modulating is coming from Reason via the ES-3. So I think I'll focus on more sound sources & mangling for the remaining modules to (eventually) fill the case. Maybe a Maths or similar module. Also still have the Kilpatrick Phenol covering some more bases.

demt

31 Aug 2020

demt wrote:
26 Aug 2020
Well ive jumped in and got myself a behringer 19"eurorack within a 19"rack. Im in the process of adding a neutron and model d to the 19"rack and the behringer 19"case /rack slots in underneath them in the same rack.In the post ive got Plaits and a oscillascope and a small filter. In the rack at the moment is a lonely vca possibly for use with Plaits ,Ive allso got crave to sit on the desk in front of the rack for various modulation duties etc
erm in the near future I shall try to involve reason with my rack/eurorack ive looked up es3 and 8, mutant brain just wondering witch route gives me the best bang for a buck any info mutch appreciated,
Found out sum of the filters guts were standard hardware from current Soviet aircraft bombers.sounds like it 2 !
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

demt

06 Sep 2020

Image gonna add drums there in the post
hear scince reason 2.5

TheDragonborg

06 Sep 2020

I love that the new analog Behringer synth modules are all rack-mountable... bring back the rack synths!

O1B

07 Sep 2020

Looking Good, Demt.

Nice Voices.

DJMaytag

10 Sep 2020

selig wrote:
17 Apr 2019
I’m following this discussion about CV control via Reason. For now I’m covered with two channels/voices of Note/Gate/Mod via the Novation SL mkIII (plus CV clock). But if I go beyond that I’ll need something like the ES-8 or similar, so I hope folks keep posting their experiences here!
Posting a pic since my ModularGrid never really matches up with how I have things set up.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_8ca4.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_8ca4.jpg (362.12 KiB) Viewed 2480 times
ES-3 plus ES-5 & various ESX expanders can cover your bases. I have an ES-3, ES-5, 2x ESX-8MD's, 2x, ESX-8CV's, and 2x ESX-8GT's. An ES-6 pipes the audio back in to Reason.

The 8MD's provide 16 channels of MIDI output (more than I need, but whatever), the ES-5 provides 4 sets of clock/reset outputs, one of the 8GT's mirrors the ES-5 outputs so I don't have to use a mult on my clock outputs, the 2 8CV's are set up in my template to provide 2x LFO outputs on each output 1 & 2 plus 6 free CV outputs each on outputs 3-8, and the second 8GT sends MIDI clock only on output 1 & 2 plus has 6 assignable gate outputs on outputs 3-8.

Basically, I can send a shit ton of clocks all over the place, have a few dedicated modulation sources originate inside Reason, and have up to 6 CV/gate/mod (aftertouch/velocity/vibrato/etc) sets for my analog synth gear (modular or standard analog mono synths).

O1B

11 Sep 2020

Dual MORPHING Filters....! Well, ok! I did not know that. Nice. Need.
It's your Chosen One, I see.

DJMaytag wrote:
10 Sep 2020

Posting a pic since my ModularGrid never really matches up with how I have things set up.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_8ca4.jpg

ES-3 plus ES-5 & various ESX expanders can cover your bases. I have an ES-3, ES-5, 2x ESX-8MD's, 2x, ESX-8CV's, and 2x ESX-8GT's. An ES-6 pipes the audio back in to Reason.

The 8MD's provide 16 channels of MIDI output (more than I need, but whatever), the ES-5 provides 4 sets of clock/reset outputs, one of the 8GT's mirrors the ES-5 outputs so I don't have to use a mult on my clock outputs, the 2 8CV's are set up in my template to provide 2x LFO outputs on each output 1 & 2 plus 6 free CV outputs each on outputs 3-8, and the second 8GT sends MIDI clock only on output 1 & 2 plus has 6 assignable gate outputs on outputs 3-8.

Basically, I can send a shit ton of clocks all over the place, have a few dedicated modulation sources originate inside Reason, and have up to 6 CV/gate/mod (aftertouch/velocity/vibrato/etc) sets for my analog synth gear (modular or standard analog mono synths).

DJMaytag

11 Sep 2020

O1B wrote:
11 Sep 2020

It was indeed a choice filter that I barely used until recently, and I built it (PCB/panel bought from modularaddict.com) with the idea that I’d route audio out of Reason via the ES-3 and back in thru the ES-6.

What’s really cool about it is that you can “sync” the two filters to be controlled with just one side (via knobs or CV), to make it true stereo filtering. It’s a really nice implementation of the Wasp filter.

The game changer is the Qu-Bit Prism right next to it. :shock:

Catblack

12 Sep 2020

DJMaytag wrote:
11 Sep 2020
O1B wrote:
11 Sep 2020

It was indeed a choice filter that I barely used until recently, and I built it (PCB/panel bought from modularaddict.com) with the idea that I’d route audio out of Reason via the ES-3 and back in thru the ES-6.

What’s really cool about it is that you can “sync” the two filters to be controlled with just one side (via knobs or CV), to make it true stereo filtering. It’s a really nice implementation of the Wasp filter.

The game changer is the Qu-Bit Prism right next to it. :shock:
Nice and sweet, I'm going to build 2 4hp Wasp filters (from Forestcaver's analog voice series) soon as parts get here. I wanted to build that dual wasp sometime, but it got put a lot lower on the list once I got my Jove built.

Just did a major rerack but I'm going to have to build 9u onto my case to house what I've got in the build queue.

I'm always recording right into reason when I fire up my synth. Sometime there's magic, sometimes not. I am finding a lot of satisfaction with it all though. I love Reason, but having tangible knobs is so much better.

Damn.

• Information