Climate Change [Solved!]

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
mashers

24 Apr 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
23 Apr 2019
Well, consider this. In my area we now don't have fog like we used to. The cause? Cleaner air. The thermal inversion in the winter is different now than it used to be because all the solar and better farming techniques (as well as greener/cleaner cars and people putting in more energy efficient appliances/windows/etc) has reduced smog and emissions.

From what I've been told, even LA is better than it's ever been but I don't live there so I don't know.

Some states are just not conscious and thus have problems. I'm no expert other that what is happening in my area which are changing all the time.
Is that confirmed? Because there are several possible reasons for reduction in fog levels, including a generally warmer climate which could prevent fog from forming.

reggie1979

24 Apr 2019

Apparently. I didn't do the fact checking myself though :lol:

Today it's well into the 90's. It's a record. Mother nature will do what she wants to :(

Zac

24 Apr 2019

This thread makes me sad. I haven't the strength to oppose the mind numbing ignorance some people express.

reggie1979

24 Apr 2019

What? I thought the thread was going fine and now it's the "how stupid are all of you" bomb.

I should have known it was going to happen, you can't talk about this kinda thing w/o someone playing that kinda card.

reggie1979

24 Apr 2019

I mean seriously, if you are so lazy that you come into an DISCUSSION and call everyone/or anyone out as being ignorant, and that you don't have the time, fwho has respect for that? I sure as hell do not. Please, enlighten everyone with your undoubted expertise.

Or are you just another "climate change nut" who spouts off how awful everyone is and how despite giving facts from people smarter than YOU, you just buck the system and spout idealogical nonsensical incomprehensions?

Yeah, me thinks you are.

mashers

25 Apr 2019

What a strange thing to say in the middle of a rational conversation.

Kenni
Site Admin

25 Apr 2019

On that note, get the topic back to rational standards again. :)
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

O1B

25 Apr 2019

mashers wrote:
24 Apr 2019

Is that confirmed? Because there are several possible reasons for reduction in fog levels, including a generally warmer climate which could prevent fog from forming.

Loque

25 Apr 2019

O1B wrote:
25 Apr 2019
Natural Selection...no brain, no game!
16250688-argentinosaurus-dinosaur-standing-on-the-cracked-desert-ground-next-to-dead-trees-by-hot-weather.jpg
16250688-argentinosaurus-dinosaur-standing-on-the-cracked-desert-ground-next-to-dead-trees-by-hot-weather.jpg (135.86 KiB) Viewed 1946 times
Reason12, Win10

O1B

25 Apr 2019

Natural Selection is Living Environment/Biology.

Climate Change is Earth Science/Geology, FYI, Loque.
Loque wrote:
25 Apr 2019

Loque

25 Apr 2019

O1B wrote:
25 Apr 2019
Natural Selection is Living Environment/Biology.

Climate Change is Earth Science/Geology, FYI, Loque.
Loque wrote:
25 Apr 2019
Obviously the dinos farted too much and that killed them...oh, no...we do that. FYI.
Reason12, Win10

mashers

25 Apr 2019

O1B wrote:
25 Apr 2019
Except that's not true. Weather refers to the state of the climate in a particular place at a specific time, whereas climate change means changes in weather patterns over time. I would say that ice caps melting qualifies as the latter, not the former.

Creativemind

25 Apr 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
23 Apr 2019
Well, consider this. In my area we now don't have fog like we used to. The cause? Cleaner air. The thermal inversion in the winter is different now than it used to be because all the solar and better farming techniques (as well as greener/cleaner cars and people putting in more energy efficient appliances/windows/etc) has reduced smog and emissions.

From what I've been told, even LA is better than it's ever been but I don't live there so I don't know.

Some states are just not conscious and thus have problems. I'm no expert other that what is happening in my area which are changing all the time.
Brilliant. I hope the L.A thing is true.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

plaamook

25 Apr 2019

I keep going back to Freeman Dyson's pointing out that if we don't understand glacial periods we don't understand climate. And so on.

Admittedly I'm looking for some kind of hope here but still, it's an interesting point.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

mashers

25 Apr 2019

plaamook wrote:
25 Apr 2019
I keep going back to Freeman Dyson's pointing out that if we don't understand glacial periods we don't understand climate. And so on.

Admittedly I'm looking for some kind of hope here but still, it's an interesting point.
We do have some understanding of glacial periods. Ice cores can give us a lot of insight into this stuff. Nonetheless, understanding the cause of climate change is not a requirement of observing that it is happening. It is objectively true that the climate is changing. It is irrational that deny this. Just because we don’t know why it is changing, this doesn’t mean it isn’t.

plaamook

25 Apr 2019

I don’t think he was saying that the climate isn’t changing. He just questions how and why.
As for ice core samples, from what I know (and that ain’t much) they give readings about time frames and certain atmospheric conditions at specific times but the overall question remains as to what causes it. Things like interplanetary dust clouds and so on have been put forth.
That’s all I know.
Beyond that I just try to speculate based on what passes for unbiased data.

Or here.

demt

25 Apr 2019

a single volcano and all the calculations need resetting to keep the greens happy
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

boingy

26 Apr 2019

I've always thought they need to come up with a more scary name for all of this. "Global Warming" and "Climate Change" just doesn't sound bad enough to get the attention of the majority. Perhaps "Global Drowning" might work. Or "Global Death and Misery In Icy Darkness". Or how about "It Will Be So Bad You May Not Be Able To Use Social Media Or Watch Reality TV".

O1B

26 Apr 2019

I won't argue with you...

You have some facts to work out:
It's Climate vs Weather. The Feels makes one think is Climate Change vs Weather.

It makes little sense to weigh in on this argument.
There are no Facts, Data, or Studies Presented here. Just... Feels.

Next terms to learn, Mashers.... Correlation vs Causation. It'd be helpful in this discussion.

Earth Science and Living Environment Teacher, here.
mashers wrote:
25 Apr 2019
O1B wrote:
25 Apr 2019
Except that's not true. Weather refers to the state of the climate in a particular place at a specific time, whereas climate change means changes in weather patterns over time. I would say that ice caps melting qualifies as the latter, not the former.

plaamook

26 Apr 2019

Why is there a left right political divide on this issue?
All the people I know on the 'left' think we're the largest contributer to global warming and all the people I know on the 'right' think it's a load of bullshit.
I know quite a lot of confused people in the middle too.

I have some ideas myselft as to why but I'm curious what everyone here has to say.

For example all the leftie people I know seem to like to emote at shit, so naturally they're gonna get hysterical and potentially over react.
But the all the right wingers I know seem to just want ot rub the left wingers face in shit. And I'm left wondering is anyone is actually taking any of this seriously!

Or here.

O1B

26 Apr 2019

Exactly.

Mankind chooses sides - yet again - to do battle against.... ourselves.
plaamook wrote:
26 Apr 2019

PhillipOrdonez

26 Apr 2019

plaamook wrote:
26 Apr 2019
All the people I know on the 'left' think we're the largest contributer to global warming and all the people I know on the 'right' think it's a load of bullshit.

I have some ideas myselft as to why but I'm curious what everyone here has to say.

For example all the leftie people I know seem to like to emote at shit, so naturally they're gonna get hysterical and potentially over react.
But the all the right wingers I know seem to just want ot rub the left wingers face in shit. And I'm left wondering is anyone is actually taking any of this seriously!
Because one side looks at the data and worries about the future. The other only cares about money, so they spew propaganda undermining the facts and making it a partisan thing, It is not their problem now, it is the problem of people in the future, they'll be fine cause they get the big lobby paychecks and their followers eat the whole charade up and decide to believe evil greedy liars over facts.

There's a reason there are experts who study shit like this all the time and they all agree based on evidence that climate is changing and we are causing it since the industrial Revolution and there's a point of no return ahead. There's no arguing against facts. Only lies and corruption and ego. And that is ALL coming from one side alone.

plaamook

26 Apr 2019

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
26 Apr 2019
plaamook wrote:
26 Apr 2019

Because one side looks at the data and worries about the future. The other only cares about money, so they spew propaganda undermining the facts and making it a partisan thing, It is not their problem now, it is the problem of people in the future, they'll be fine cause they get the big lobby paychecks and their followers eat the whole charade up and decide to believe evil greedy liars over facts.

There's a reason there are experts who study shit like this all the time and they all agree based on evidence that climate is changing and we are causing it since the industrial Revolution and there's a point of no return ahead. There's no arguing against facts. Only lies and corruption and ego. And that is ALL coming from one side alone.
Nah, I think you're reading it wrong.
The people that question the human climate model are not all oil tycoons. There are lots of people that just take different perspectives on the matter that don't stand to gain financially from doing so. Ordinary people if you will. There's a different axis there I think.

Or here.

PhillipOrdonez

26 Apr 2019

plaamook wrote:
26 Apr 2019
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
26 Apr 2019

Nah, I think you're reading it wrong.
The people that question the human climate model are not all oil tycoons. There are lots of people that just take different perspectives on the matter that don't stand to gain financially from doing so. Ordinary people if you will. There's a different axis there I think.
I addressed those people in my comment already. They are the ones who fall for the propaganda spewed by their political leaders and lobbyists, the ones who do stand to gain financially.

Creativemind

26 Apr 2019

What he says at 14m27 though, about using ethanol to run your car, in the UK, does anyone know where you buy it and how much it costs in comparison with petrol?
Last edited by Creativemind on 26 Apr 2019, edited 1 time in total.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

• Information