how do you handle send-fx when bouncing stems (for collab)?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
dan_g

23 Apr 2019

Hi Guys,

i'm working on a collab right now and wanted to send stems/bounces to the other artist (he works in another daw), just realizing that the send fx can only be bounced as a seperate track.

so im curious. how do you guys approach this topic?

1. bounce the send fx as a track and go on?

2. go as far as changing the sends to inserts for every track and then bounce them out?

3. another method im not thinking of?
:reason: :record: :re: :refill: :ignition: - 12 - Hobbyist
minimal techno - deep minimal dubstep - drum 'n' bass/neurofunk - brostep/deathstep - band recording

New Release: https://open.spotify.com/track/5mQ1XEQtZcVeFVfZvcS5kw

friday

23 Apr 2019

number 1 . an that's the way i also get remix stems from others with other DAW's .

ScuzzyEye

23 Apr 2019

Since sends are usually used as an additional "something" beside the tracks, it does make sense to render them as their own stems. If they are an integral part of the sound design for the track, I'd change them to inserts in that case. But if they are something like reverb, I'd leave them out completely until later in the mixing process anyway.

dan_g

23 Apr 2019

thx guys that helps. option one is the way to go for us in this early stage of the project.

the tip with including the fx when they are an integral part of the sound is also pretty good :thumbsup:

dan_g
minimal techno - deep minimal dubstep - drum 'n' bass/neurofunk - brostep/deathstep - band recording

Enterface

24 Apr 2019

Instead of using the effect sends on the SSL mixer, create a parallel channel with the desired effect as an insert with wet/dry mix at 100% wet. Then mix the parallel fader in under the original track to taste. This way you have the option of exporting the parallel channel as it's own stem via the "Bounce Mixer Channels" feature. In addition, it frees up the parallel channel's EQ, comp/side chain, gate sections to further sculpt the effected sound, independent of the original track. If you want to send several tracks to the same effect utilizing this method, create a bus with it's own parallel channel and send multiple tracks to the bus. It's essentially the same thing as using the effect sends but with additional flexibility. Nothing is worse than wishing you could turn the reverb down a little on a track after you've already rendered stems with the effects embedded.

dan_g

26 Apr 2019

Thanks Enterface! thats a nice concept. i will definitly try this. why haven't i thought of this XD

selig
RE Developer

26 Apr 2019

IMO it depends on the eventual work flow. If you’re sending tracks to someone that will also mix them, then I follow the CLA rule (from his PDF for mix submissions), which is to add FX to any instrument that is essential to it’s sound (an amp plugin, vocal pitch fixes, etc). This would not include reverbs or delays, unless the delay was an important part of the song (and then you would include it as a separate track). And in this case I would not send “stems”, I would send the individual tracks as “raw” as possible.
Alternatively, if you’re sending tracks for someone to use to overdub their contribution and then send the overdubs back to you, it’s much less important that they have the exact same reverb etc. for the overdub purposes. And in some cases you wouldn’t even need to send stems, just a decent mix (especially if they are adding only one or two tracks).
In any case where you’re sending tracks or stems, I also think it’s important to send the latest rough mix for reference, so that folks will know how the tracks were intended to be used/mixed.
Selig Audio, LLC

dan_g

29 Apr 2019

thanks for the tips giles! :)

rough mix is also a good idea. just check "master section" on export and your good. doesn't hurt but could help the partner alot.

• Information