giving up alcohol

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
sleep1979

21 Apr 2019

Aosta wrote:
21 Apr 2019
I haven't drank for years. If alcohol is a crutch then you need to relearn to walk on your own feet again, I have seen the devastation it has caused to some of my friends and family over the years.
I heard a great quote for an alcoholic once, they said:
"Alcohol is a devious fucker, first it's your best friend, then it's your only friend and then it becomes your worst enemy"
That always stuck with me.
Good luck.
Ive never got to the point where it overtakes my life , i did with weed a long time ago , but my kids have lived with me almost two years now , so i dont get drunk around them a lot .

but every two weeks when they go to thier mums i have been going through about three bottle in two days plus beers , which is kinda like a part time alcoholic, but it fucks me up for almost a week after sleeping and fot getting on with stuff .

and if i go out i always get hammered lately i can drink all what i said and not get drunk at all .
that and it makes me put on weight because that week being fucked up I'm not focused and i eat shitloads,

so while im not dependent on it , i have been reguraly binge drinking every year from around end of November to july the next year and i have put weight on again and haven't achieved as much as i could have done in that time , so in fact even though i don't do it everyday , i feel it is still affecting my life .

but the when faced with the idea giving it up forever i have that feeling of , how can i go around people when there like go on have a drink go on ?? its really annoying and consistent from a lot of people .

So yeah im ready im doing it . But maybe ill take fake beers and lie to people for a little while lol i dont know ,

but yeah ill lose the weight and stay off the booze this year and I reckon ill finally bang that ep out .

i just wanted to see if any of you lot gave up drink and how you deal with family and friends attitudes towards you like ,
go on just have one or two wont hurt you , MATE I CANt have one or two , i drink until i pass out and that always happens if i drink . So yeah time up 🙂

Aosta

22 Apr 2019

That is your first hurdle, getting over what other people think about you. You have to integrate the fact that you do not drink alcohol into your personality. If people you know are encouraging you to go against your own will then they are not really people with your best interests at heart, they are asking you to consume a toxin against your better judgement after all.
If you need alcohol to function in social gatherings then that is something within yourself that you'd need to work on. You obviously know it is no good for you so repeating the same pattern over and over is futile.
Tend the flame

MrFigg
Competition Winner

22 Apr 2019

Aosta wrote:
22 Apr 2019
You have to integrate the fact that you do not drink alcohol into your personality.
Exactly that.

Also you’re probably going to have to put up with people questioning you as to why you’re stopping drinking and trying to encourage you to take one.
In the first case, you don’t need to go into details of why. Just reply short. “Just felt like taking a break. “ or something like that.
If you’re hanging with the same people they’ll probably accept it after a few times at parties or the pub and stop pestering you. Try not to get irritated with them. It’s like I said the “norm” these days is that people drink instead of the opposite. Alcohol is a big part of life for many people.
The best part is when you actually totally stop thinking about drinking and as said, it becomes unconsciously integrated into being a part of who you are. Just being, not actively doing.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

sleep1979

22 Apr 2019

Yeah i gave up smoking 13 years ago and told myself I’m a “non smoker “ and it worked i never ever will smoke again i hate it , although some women look sexy to me smoking cigarettes we wont go into that here 😂, its harder to adopt that mentality with drink but i guess im gonna have to do it , i guess people bug you to drink because they feel like. Your judging them if you don't drink , im having a life change staring at 40 really makes you re think your life , 30 never did that to me , i want my 40s to be full of great memories and singing to audiences that would be amazing , but first i need to finish the dozens of unfinished songs on my hard drive , and being on a clean diet not drinking and exercise being focused will help me do that , ive just never stuck to it long enough , i will now i really want it , maybe im getting to old to perform now but fuck it , i should try right ? I like asking questions like this here because u can makr good friends this way and were all musicans aswell so we have even more in common 🙂cheers peeps your amazing .

modecca

22 Apr 2019

I am 39 as well cigarettes, all forms of alcohol and weed, in moderation are wonderful things.
🔗💥

Ostermilk

22 Apr 2019

sleep1979 wrote:
20 Apr 2019
Is it possible ?
Going back to this question.

Yes it certainly is possible.

sleep1979

22 Apr 2019

modecca wrote:
22 Apr 2019
I am 39 as well cigarettes, all forms of alcohol and weed, in moderation are wonderful things.
I cant do anything in moderation, or at least i haven't learned too , weed can also mess your brain up especially when you start it young , i see my brothers young teens kids smoking weed , and there all on the road to being messed up, i would always advise my kids against smoking weed even in moderation and why they live with me even as young adukts id never allow it .

but saying that if you can stick to one or two spliffs at the weekend that aint gonna mess you up its the everyday smoking it like i did a bag everyday since i was 12 until 22-23 messed me right up , that drug can be evil if misused but its like everything alcohol can be evil , but in small doses every now and then its fine , mate i just cant do moderation ive tried , one drink ill have ten later im looking for me until i fall asleep , theres a needyness in me that always wants more of a good thing , which undoubtedly leads to bad vibes

Edit: bag every day from 15-23 smoking from 12

MrFigg
Competition Winner

22 Apr 2019

So how’s it going? Have you started the process yet?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

sleep1979

22 Apr 2019

MrFigg wrote:
22 Apr 2019
Giving up drinking ? Yeah one week and one day , this weekend was my weekend without the kids so was really tempting i got invited out i declined , clean diet for a week haven't cut out pepsi my poor teeth gonna try that tomorrow .

splangie

22 Apr 2019

I like to do just about everything in moderation. At least moderate in instance, mostly. And not everything, just almost everything at some point. I do really like Green Crack and Blue Skittles though.

reggie1979

22 Apr 2019

I'm a big-time drinker from about 6pm to pass-out. Not really sure why. You couldn't pay me to have a drink prior to dinner.

I shake, I jones, and like I said I pass out. It's weird. I've been tipping back tonight after passing out at the liquor store (no, I do NOT drink and drive) and feel better physically than before I had my first drink.

I do not trust 12 steps or hospitals. I'm the only one who knows why I drink and I don't think a sponsor or whatever can change my mind.

I'd like to have an alcohol free life. But it's the only 2-3 hours of the day I enjoy. Help is needed but I don't know what that looks like (nor would I think some random thread on the internet would have answers :lol: )

reggie1979

22 Apr 2019

Oh, and I have TERRIFIC therapy. That isn't the problem. It's something else I can't explain.

splangie

22 Apr 2019

sleep1979 wrote:
22 Apr 2019
MrFigg wrote:
22 Apr 2019
Giving up drinking ? Yeah one week and one day , this weekend was my weekend without the kids so was really tempting i got invited out i declined , clean diet for a week haven't cut out pepsi my poor teeth gonna try that tomorrow .
When I gave up drinking soda pops I became regular and my stools where much more firm. Just like that. Plus I lost about 10 pounds in a week.

sleep1979

23 Apr 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
22 Apr 2019
I'm a big-time drinker from about 6pm to pass-out. Not really sure why. You couldn't pay me to have a drink prior to dinner.

I shake, I jones, and like I said I pass out. It's weird. I've been tipping back tonight after passing out at the liquor store (no, I do NOT drink and drive) and feel better physically than before I had my first drink.

I do not trust 12 steps or hospitals. I'm the only one who knows why I drink and I don't think a sponsor or whatever can change my mind.

I'd like to have an alcohol free life. But it's the only 2-3 hours of the day I enjoy. Help is needed but I don't know what that looks like (nor would I think some random thread on the internet would have answers :lol: )
Not answers mate , but ideas - stories of people who have done it maybe .

reggie1979

24 Apr 2019

Not sure I understand.

sleep1979

24 Apr 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
24 Apr 2019
Not sure I understand.
U said u wouldn’t look for answers on some
Random thread , i kinda said i’m not looking for answers but stories and ideas of people’s experiences maybe 🙂 we both have 1979 in our online names

modecca

24 Apr 2019

sleep1979 wrote:
22 Apr 2019
modecca wrote:
22 Apr 2019
I cant do anything in moderation, or at least i haven't learned too , weed can also mess your brain up especially when you start it young , i see my brothers young teens kids smoking weed , and there all on the road to being messed up, i would always advise my kids against smoking weed even in moderation and why they live with me even as young adukts id never allow it .

but saying that if you can stick to one or two spliffs at the weekend that aint gonna mess you up its the everyday smoking it like i did a bag everyday since i was 12 until 22-23 messed me right up , that drug can be evil if misused but its like everything alcohol can be evil , but in small doses every now and then its fine , mate i just cant do moderation ive tried , one drink ill have ten later im looking for me until i fall asleep , theres a needyness in me that always wants more of a good thing , which undoubtedly leads to bad vibes

I'll come by next month for dinner and show your family the perks of weed, ciggies and beer ('earthquake' 10 percent yeaheeyeahhee!!) and give them the keys to enable them to enjoy these luxuries, without becoming addicts.
🔗💥

sleep1979

24 Apr 2019

modecca wrote:
24 Apr 2019
sleep1979 wrote:
22 Apr 2019

I'll come by next month for dinner and show your family the perks of weed, ciggies and beer ('earthquake' 10 percent yeaheeyeahhee!!) and give them the keys to enable them to enjoy these luxuries, without becoming addicts.
I think the only perks are getting high 😂but like i said if you can have one zoot a night or a can of wallop and your good then power to you man , i wouldn't do it everyday ( drinking id never smoke weed again that shits kyptonite for me )but when i do do it , lets say a couple of weekends a month i drink the rivers dry man and it leads to me wanting more .

modecca

24 Apr 2019

sleep1979 wrote:
24 Apr 2019

I think the only perks are getting high 😂but like i said if you can have one zoot a night or a can of wallop and your good then power to you man , i wouldn't do it everyday ( drinking id never smoke weed again that shits kyptonite for me )but when i do do it , lets say a couple of weekends a month i drink the rivers dry man and it leads to me wanting more .
Freud says.jpg
Freud says.jpg (147.73 KiB) Viewed 804 times
🔗💥

mjxl

24 Apr 2019

sleep1979 wrote:
20 Apr 2019
mjxl wrote:
20 Apr 2019
I don't drink alcohol anymore :thumbs_up:
how longs that been , how old are you ?
I`m 35, and maybe the last 6 years or so.

I don't care for alcohol anymore, I used to drink A LOT tho. lol

eusti

24 Apr 2019

When I was starting to get back into martial arts almost 20 years ago alcohol started to have a weird effect on me... After half a glass already I started getting mean headaches... I saw this as a sign to stop... Used a book recommended by a friend who had used it before...

She was very relaxed around other people drinking, that really appealed to me... It worked... Sugar on the other hand is quite a different story for me... :P

D.

Soft Enerji

25 Apr 2019

I'm 55 this year and I drink more than I should. If I may explain myself. I have an addictive personality. When I was in my teens I got into smoking dope, I'd never smoked cigarettes prior to that but back then in Scotland, the norm was to roll joints with hash and tobacco so I ended up addicted to tobacco. Me and a couple of mates were always big drinkers so the addictions became embroiled with one another. I got into cocaine quite heavily in my 20s and 30s but gradually got bored with that and the dope as I approached 40. My wife and decided to start a family when I was about 41 and we hit the jackpot straight away and ended up with twin boys :-). A few weeks after they were born was when I finally gave up the cigarettes and haven't looked back since. But...that was when my drinking became heavier. I'm not sure why but I know it has nothing to do with compensation for missing other drugs. About 3-4 years ago I was probably drinking 2-3 bottles of wine every night, I got hold of that but like I said at the start I still drink too much.

sleep1979, I wish you all the best and thank you for starting this thread. While I may not be, and probably never will be ready to give up the demon alcohol for good I may be able to take some inspiration from all the input here.

Cheers

Mark

sleep1979

25 Apr 2019

Soft Enerji wrote:
25 Apr 2019
I'm 55 this year and I drink more than I should. If I may explain myself. I have an addictive personality. When I was in my teens I got into smoking dope, I'd never smoked cigarettes prior to that but back then in Scotland, the norm was to roll joints with hash and tobacco so I ended up addicted to tobacco. Me and a couple of mates were always big drinkers so the addictions became embroiled with one another. I got into cocaine quite heavily in my 20s and 30s but gradually got bored with that and the dope as I approached 40. My wife and decided to start a family when I was about 41 and we hit the jackpot straight away and ended up with twin boys :-). A few weeks after they were born was when I finally gave up the cigarettes and haven't looked back since. But...that was when my drinking became heavier. I'm not sure why but I know it has nothing to do with compensation for missing other drugs. About 3-4 years ago I was probably drinking 2-3 bottles of wine every night, I got hold of that but like I said at the start I still drink too much.

sleep1979, I wish you all the best and thank you for starting this thread. While I may not be, and probably never will be ready to give up the demon alcohol for good I may be able to take some inspiration from all the input here.

Cheers

Mark
I certainly am too , having kids is always the biggest inspiration i gave up smoking when my daughter was a few months old started again for a bit and finally when she was around one ,

they have been living with me on my own for almost two years and thats thw only reason i drink less when there at thier mums .
but even then thats getting too much the binge drinking everynow and then , i feel im ready and yeah bro u can do it but u gott wait for that all guns blazing moment 🙂

reggie1979

26 Apr 2019

I thought you were leaving.

I went 3 days w/o and tonight, BEER ME! Life is just way too stressful.

sleep1979

27 Apr 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
26 Apr 2019
I thought you were leaving.

I went 3 days w/o and tonight, BEER ME! Life is just way too stressful.
Nah I'm not leaving i got a stay of execution , i like it here , 🙂

• Information