giving up alcohol

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
sleep1979

20 Apr 2019

Is it possible ?

Im thinking about it and going on a all meat diet for a few months ,

i got invited to a bbq today and turned it down , it would have been laughs funny good food and people , but i would have broke my diet and woke up tomorrow with a major illness
because im like a pringle
once i pop i cant stop , which ones of you lot dont drink , and was it always that way for u ??

pushedbutton

20 Apr 2019

I generally don't have booze in the house and don't visit the pub as part of my routine. However last night it was 20c + outside at 11pm so I went out and got hammered. My fitness tracker thinks I was being healthy anyhow, I got in at about 4:30am with a calzone and a £60 hole in my funds.
I usually do this about 4 or 5 times a year. Like you, once I get started there's no stopping me, so I've learned not to start drinking unless I'm planning for a hangover.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Zac

20 Apr 2019

sleep1979 wrote:
20 Apr 2019
Is it possible ?

i got invited to a bbq today and turned it down , it would have been laughs funny good food and people , but i would have broke my diet and woke up tomorrow with a major illness
once i pop i cant stop , which ones of you lot dont drink , and was it always that way for u ??
Not sure the all meat diet is a good idea... but not really my area of expertise.

As for the booze, from personal experience, if you think it's an issue then it is. And the sooner you make some changes the easier it will be.

It is definitely possible but if you are serious then you'll have a much greater chance of success with some help from organisations such as AA and Together (UK).

Personally I have still not found the will to give up. I don't drink every day but at least 3 or 4 times a week and heavily. It takes its toll.

Good luck.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

20 Apr 2019

I woke up one morning a year and a half ago and just decided that’s it. I’ve partied hard for the most of 49 years. I’ve always been all or nothing. I haven’t missed it a single day and I can say with all certainty that I won’t start again. Last week I decided to stop eating crisps and sweets. That is hell on earth I can tell you.
If you’re ready you’ll do it. If you’re not ready then wait until you are :).
Good luck :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

GRIFTY

20 Apr 2019

wtf an all meat diet?

sleep1979

20 Apr 2019

Zac wrote:
20 Apr 2019
sleep1979 wrote:
20 Apr 2019
Is it possible ?

Not sure the all meat diet is a good idea... but not really my area of expertise.

As for the booze, from personal experience, if you think it's an issue then it is. And the sooner you make some changes the easier it will be.

It is definitely possible but if you are serious then you'll have a much greater chance of success with some help from organisations such as AA and Together (UK).

Personally I have still not found the will to give up. I don't drink every day but at least 3 or 4 times a week and heavily. It takes its toll.

Good luck.
just every two weeks but heavily i can drink a bottle and a half and still be standing , not an alcoholic i give up 4-5 months every year but im feeling to just altogether but its hard people wont leave u alone lol

sleep1979

20 Apr 2019

GRIFTY wrote:
20 Apr 2019
wtf an all meat diet?
Yeah man the carnivore diet like a caveman , it’s actually pretty easy and apprently good for u , bacon 🥓 steak pork chops mmmm , i just think im gonna crack and have pepsi water is boring the fuck out of me already 😂

sleep1979

20 Apr 2019

MrFigg wrote:
20 Apr 2019
I woke up one morning a year and a half ago and just decided that’s it. I’ve partied hard for the most of 49 years. I’ve always been all or nothing. I haven’t missed it a single day and I can say with all certainty that I won’t start again. Last week I decided to stop eating crisps and sweets. That is hell on earth I can tell you.
How is it with going to partys ? People tempting u im 39

MrFigg
Competition Winner

20 Apr 2019

sleep1979 wrote:
20 Apr 2019
MrFigg wrote:
20 Apr 2019
At first folk were like...”ach...you can have one beer. “ or “C’mon, just take a glass of wine with the food. “. But I’d decided and after a while they got it. What’s weird is before I’d link parties, days off, sunny days with a bbq, winter days in front of a fire etc with wine or beer or whisky or whatever. Now I seriously don’t even think about alcohol. Also it’s strange that drinking is so socially accepted that it goes against the norm NOT drinking. Anyway, I’m glad I did it. But as I said, I was ready. There’s no point in doing it if you’re not decided because you’ll just disappoint yourself. Maybe take a “white month” and see how you feel. Don’t know how good that is health wise though. Don’t think it makes much difference.
Last edited by MrFigg on 20 Apr 2019, edited 1 time in total.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

20 Apr 2019

Actually...one of the other things which made it easier to stay off in the beginning was that I was training 100 day Nei Kung. Chinese internal strength exercises. No alcohol. No fried foods.

Just my opinion but I’d skip the all meat diet. Up to you though.
Last edited by MrFigg on 20 Apr 2019, edited 1 time in total.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Bes
Competition Winner

20 Apr 2019

I am an ex alcoholic and to help quit I started a habit of drinking 2-3 Litres of soda water every day. I still drink soda water everyday actually and the cravings are a thing of the past. Also see a healer of some kind and tell them what your trying to do, chiropractice or shiatsu or acupuncture anyone to get your nervous system in tip top shape, that's a really important thing to do for quitting any drugs

good luck and good health to you
-bes
- Certified Reason expert

sleep1979

20 Apr 2019

MrFigg wrote:
20 Apr 2019
sleep1979 wrote:
20 Apr 2019

At first folk were like...”ach...you can have one beer. “ or “C’mon, just take a glass of wine with the food. “. But I’d decided and after a while they got it. What’s weird is before I’d link parties, days off, sunny days with a bbq, winter days in front of a fire etc with wine or beer or whisky or whatever. Now I seriously don’t even think about alcohol. Also it’s strange that drinking is so socially accepted that it goes against the norm NOT drinking. Anyway, I’m glad I did it. But as I said, I was ready. There’s no point in doing it if you’re not decided because you’ll just disappoint yourself. Maybe take a “white month” and see how you feel. Don’t know how good that is health wise though. Don’t think it makes much difference.
Nah im ready figg , u know when you just feel bored with it all? , the meat diet is too help me lose a bit of weight that ive put on since christmas , its actually easy , but pepsi is gonna be hard to give up , so im gonna have that for the next week , im not dependent on alcohol its the weekends when the kids go to their mothers ( they live with me I’m a single dad ) when im alone i get on it all weekend , bars indoors bottle of whiskey , and it makes me eat shitloads too , so yeah im ready 🙂

sleep1979

20 Apr 2019

Bes wrote:
20 Apr 2019
I am an ex alcoholic and to help quit I started a habit of drinking 2-3 Litres of soda water every day. I still drink soda water everyday actually and the cravings are a thing of the past. Also see a healer of some kind and tell them what your trying to do, chiropractice or shiatsu or acupuncture anyone to get your nervous system in tip top shape, that's a really important thing to do for quitting any drugs

good luck and good health to you
-bes
Im addicted to pepsi max not good for my teeth 🦷 thanks bes

mjxl

20 Apr 2019

I don't drink alcohol anymore :thumbs_up:

O1B

20 Apr 2019

Give it a Shot!
sleep1979 wrote:
20 Apr 2019
Is it possible ?

sleep1979

20 Apr 2019

mjxl wrote:
20 Apr 2019
I don't drink alcohol anymore :thumbs_up:
how longs that been , how old are you ?

Bes
Competition Winner

20 Apr 2019

sleep1979 wrote:
20 Apr 2019

nah not like that. soda water is carbonated water. its got a little salt in it but that's all, nothing like that pepsi cola flavoured stuff
- Certified Reason expert

sleep1979

20 Apr 2019

Bes wrote:
20 Apr 2019
sleep1979 wrote:
20 Apr 2019

nah not like that. soda water is carbonated water. its got a little salt in it but that's all, nothing like that pepsi cola flavoured stuff
i wish i liked soda water or fizzy water , im gonna stop drinking pepsi after ive adapted to this diet because my teeth are feeling the pain of it lol

123repeater

20 Apr 2019

You can do it and sounds like youre ready. Im on day 113. Feeling good but theres been ups and downs.

VariableX

20 Apr 2019

I try to have a couple of nights off a week but that sometimes doesn't happen 🥴. A few cans of midstrenghth beer and a shared bottle of wine with the missus most nights. "driven tae drink" its the kids i tell you!

sleep1979

21 Apr 2019

123repeater wrote:
20 Apr 2019
You can do it and sounds like youre ready. Im on day 113. Feeling good but theres been ups and downs.
Yeah im ready , also gonna lose a few stone again, done it for four months last year , lost a few stone put that back on since i started drinking around october last year gonna go far longer this time or forever i hope . 🙂 spend them wasted weekends making music 🎧.

electricthing

21 Apr 2019

It's good to talk about alcohol here.

I think that in the long run it's better to quit.
I was a moderate wine drinker.
After a car accident (because of a drunk driver BTW, not me) and chronic pain medication I had to stop drinking.
Luckily I could stop the pain medication later also.
I am 55 now, alcohol is boring to me.

If you like it, try to keep it to 1,5 glass, sometimes 2 glasses, listen to your body. Don't drink on four days a week.

Alcohol is not an end in itself, skip it and go for the real stuff.
Try to realise that what you associate alcohol with; the good things in life, like musical inspiration etc. go on when alcohol stops.
Buy yourself a musical instrument with the money you save.
In stead of alcohol give yourself some time to experience the real good things in life;
Walk in nature, good people, music, good food, time, rest.

Allow yourself the gift of change. There are different phases in life, allow them to be. Grow up and move on. Let it go.
You don't loose a thing without alcohol.

I think above the age of 50 it gets easier to stop using it.
I wish all who struggle with this strength.
For some it will be better to stop at once, others can drink moderately and then decrease it even more.

I think it's good that (most) kids these days don't drink or smoke.
Last edited by electricthing on 21 Apr 2019, edited 1 time in total.

Ostermilk

21 Apr 2019

sleep1979 wrote:
20 Apr 2019
Is it possible ?

If you want to stop, go all in and don't mess about with it. Get support from like-minded folk that have also had enough and are successfully staying away from a drink.

I'm in my 30th year of abstinence and there's nothing missing from my life, except drink.

The 'Pringle' principle is a good one for me, one is too many and a hundred aren't enough, except Pringles never took me to, police cells, the divorce courts. repossesion hearings or rehab..

O1B

21 Apr 2019

No alcohol here.
Water, "Homemade" Iced Tea, and Cherry Coke Zero are my crack.

No way! was I gonna let alcohol give me that 'dried up look!'
and... Drinking and Sweets - ED. Sorry to say.
"Alcoholism can cause permanent nerve damage, resulting in impotence."
- we all 'should' know the signs from College.

It's a no-brainer for me.
sleep1979 wrote:
20 Apr 2019

Aosta

21 Apr 2019

I haven't drank for years. If alcohol is a crutch then you need to relearn to walk on your own feet again, I have seen the devastation it has caused to some of my friends and family over the years.
I heard a great quote for an alcoholic once, they said:
"Alcohol is a devious fucker, first it's your best friend, then it's your only friend and then it becomes your worst enemy"
That always stuck with me.
Good luck.
Tend the flame

• Information