Soooo ... what is there left to complain about (2019) ...

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
avasopht
Competition Winner

18 Apr 2019

Popular reason pain points (to the best of my memory):
  1. Lack of VSTs
  2. Track folding
  3. Traditional workflow features like punch-in / out, etc.
  4. Reason sound
  5. Mp3 export
  6. No track freezing
    • No managed track freezing (auto unfreeze upon edit)
    • No smart freezing to save CPU
  7. Advanced note editing (on the level of FLStudio)
  8. Pitch editing
  9. Automatic delay compensation
  10. Multitrack recording
  11. Time stretching
  12. "T-pain" effect
  13. Recording samples into devices
  14. RE limitations on graphics and other interesting stuff
  15. Oversampling switch for all devices to make them individually process at higher sample rates (another of my own)
  16. Better hi-res support
  17. Drag & drop
  18. *Something something* Studio One *something* (can't remember what it was exactly, and totally not seeking to denigrate the complaint ...)
  19. Performance of VSTs
  20. ARA support (not a common complaint, but just thought I'd put it out there)
  21. Computer too slow message (not that that was really a problem, but it was brought up)
  22. Allow smart batches (so that feedback loops can work at low latency but devices not in a loop a processed in larger batches)
    • And a switch for low batches within a combinator
When you lay out all of the major complaints and just look at how many of those are crossed off, I think my "investment" in Reason really paid off. On top of that, my craft has improved so much by committing to a handful of refills, and taking full responsibility for my sound.

Loque

18 Apr 2019

Not my list, but i thnk there are more and more points of the list we can strike through - yes. PH is having a high tempo the last few years, they could be on the fast lane soon...
Reason12, Win10

diminished
Competition Winner

18 Apr 2019

- better browser with database (tagging, auto-completion, key press to jump to letters, opening the browser from within a device automatically lists all patches in all locations including refills)
- new combinator
- "advanced" scales&chords
- vst3 & vst midi Out
- higher resolution support
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

pushedbutton

18 Apr 2019

Can't see another midi lane from the pitch correction window.

My only wish.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Loque

18 Apr 2019

pushedbutton wrote:
18 Apr 2019
Can't see another midi lane from the pitch correction window.

My only wish.
Uhhh...yea....not only pitch edit, every sample edit window should be able to be viewed at the same time a midi is viewed or just edited in place of the sequencer...
Reason12, Win10

MannequinRaces

18 Apr 2019

Someone is going to chime in about video support but for me personally I'd like to see sequencer and audio editing improvements. Other than that I'm really liking things. It is definitely a good time to be a Reason user. And what Diminished mentioned.

Loque

18 Apr 2019

MannequinRaces wrote:
18 Apr 2019
Someone is going to chime in about video support but for me personally I'd like to see sequencer and audio editing improvements. Other than that I'm really liking things. It is definitely a good time to be a Reason user. And what Diminished mentioned.
I am with you. But on the other hand...where videos getting more and more important...But Videos are another field of software and not Reason.
Reason12, Win10

Zac

18 Apr 2019

Midi based VSTs working for me.

SoundObjects

18 Apr 2019

Windows users also be able to use mouse scroll wheel settings when cursor
is over an selected RE knob or fader.
Should not be to difficult to implement :)
The Universe Is Vibrating

esselfortium

18 Apr 2019

Macros.

Also, the ability to save and recall groups of instruments with their mixer settings and buses, so you can recall your complete drum mix or orchestra template.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Luxuria

18 Apr 2019

Sequencer improvements
Macros + customizable shortcuts
High resolution texture update
Combinator update

It's 2019 and we still can't put combinators inside mix/ audio channels while retaining their structure. Have to either make the channel cluttered with everything exposed or settle for retaining the combinator and losing the top to bottom flow by leaving it outside the channel's insert section.

diminished
Competition Winner

18 Apr 2019

esselfortium wrote:
18 Apr 2019
Macros.

Also, the ability to save and recall groups of instruments with their mixer settings and buses, so you can recall your complete drum mix or orchestra template.
+1
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

sonicbyte

18 Apr 2019

For me multichannel midi for VST like Kontakt to use one device for multi instruments and save that way RAM and CPU

guitfnky

18 Apr 2019

avasopht wrote:
18 Apr 2019
Popular reason pain points (to the best of my memory):
  1. Lack of VSTs
  2. Track folding
  3. Traditional workflow features like punch-in / out, etc.
  4. Reason sound
  5. Mp3 export
  6. No track freezing
    • No managed track freezing (auto unfreeze upon edit)
    • No smart freezing to save CPU
  7. Advanced note editing (on the level of FLStudio)
  8. Pitch editing
  9. Automatic delay compensation
  10. Multitrack recording
  11. Time stretching
  12. "T-pain" effect
  13. Recording samples into devices
  14. RE limitations on graphics and other interesting stuff
  15. Oversampling switch for all devices to make them individually process at higher sample rates (another of my own)
  16. Better hi-res support
  17. Drag & drop
  18. *Something something* Studio One *something* (can't remember what it was exactly, and totally not seeking to denigrate the complaint ...)
  19. Performance of VSTs
  20. ARA support (not a common complaint, but just thought I'd put it out there)
  21. Computer too slow message (not that that was really a problem, but it was brought up)
  22. Allow smart batches (so that feedback loops can work at low latency but devices not in a loop a processed in larger batches)
    • And a switch for low batches within a combinator
When you lay out all of the major complaints and just look at how many of those are crossed off, I think my "investment" in Reason really paid off. On top of that, my craft has improved so much by committing to a handful of refills, and taking full responsibility for my sound.
👍🏼

if you go back even further, there are a bunch more things that can be crossed off...

-ability to record audio (not just sample)
-open the rack to third party developers
-MIDI out

etc...

this is why it boggles my mind whenever people start to whine about how Propellerhead never listens to users and makes the improvements we want.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

fieldframe
RE Developer

18 Apr 2019

This is a good list. Doubly so for showing how many things have been crossed off!

I'll second managed track freezing (bounce in place feels like using the EMI for VST in Reason 7), and high-resolution UI support.

Beyond these, I have no complaints, only wishlist features. ;)

soroc sosta

18 Apr 2019

MannequinRaces wrote:
18 Apr 2019
This!
I've stopped looking at Reason as anything more than a hellfire audio production suite.
I have other programs for everything else i want to do.
I'm trying to get back to my Reason 5 mind frame instead of being to wishy,
hell I barely use 15% of Reasons capability :lol:

TAZ

ruso2018

18 Apr 2019

Indexed sample search in the browser
Drag and drop sample from browser to vst
Midi vst implementation
Sample preview in sync with song
Drag and drop sample into DrRex and have it sliced and ready to use

... and I am pretty much done :)

FiatLux

18 Apr 2019

Surround sound support.

Oquasec

18 Apr 2019

Most of these are pre-2010 complaints tbh.Propellerhead had most of that done in 2010.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

esselfortium

18 Apr 2019

Right-click anywhere in the rack and type in a few letters of the name of the device you want to add, then hit enter to add it. Spotlight search functionality for plugins.
While we're at it, let's have Spotlight search functionality for patches, too, including a tagging system.

Also, sending multiple MIDI channels to VSTs, and being able to control all CCs on VSTs rather than just a few basic ones.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

dvdrtldg

18 Apr 2019

MannequinRaces wrote:
18 Apr 2019
I'd like to see sequencer and audio editing improvements.
This is it for me. And it's really just icing on the cake, not a complaint as such. But when you set Reason alongside something like WaveLab and compare their audio editing functions, it's clear how much better Reason could be in this regard. I get that there's no such thing as the perfect DAW, but if Reason became a fully-featured editing program I'd never leave

zoidkirb

18 Apr 2019

Combinator needs way more rotarys and cv inputs obviously and also I'd like to see it name re's better. It names some synths ok but I end up with a bunch of players and utilities named 'default' . 'High res' support for use in anything greater than 800x600 😲 but seriously there's a lot of different ways to fix that, I hope Props take the time to get it right. Sequencer need work, too many small tweaks to list here. One last thing I would like to be able to press 'TAB' and my view changes to the back of the rack (even if I happen to be in sequencer or mixer view at the time)

Oquasec

18 Apr 2019

I agree with the need to make combinators with more knobs or more Rack extensions that do that.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

reggie1979

18 Apr 2019

diminished wrote:
18 Apr 2019
- better browser with database (tagging, auto-completion, key press to jump to letters, opening the browser from within a device automatically lists all patches in all locations including refills)
- new combinator
- "advanced" scales&chords
- vst3 & vst midi Out
- higher resolution support
The browser needs favorites, tempo match and loop browsing (I mean, continueous loop vs one shot.

reggie1979

18 Apr 2019

Kong needs a significant update (think impact xt for studio one)

• Information