Is there a way to disable timestretch as default?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
NekujaK

16 Apr 2019

All newly recorded audio clips are enabled for timestretching by default. You can manually disable timestretching for individual clips from the menu, but this is an extra step you must remember to perform. Is there a way to have timestretch disabled by default for new clips?

I'm asking because I often have long voice over projects that take about 20-30 hours to record and edit. It's very detailed work that results in hundreds of small audio clips on the timeline. Somewhere during the process I often shift Reason's master tempo by accident. I don't even know how or when it happens, but suddenly on the 3rd or 4th day of recording, when I go back to listen to clips recorded on previous days, they sound phasey, and sure enough somewhere along the way, the tempo was altered by a couple of BPM and Reason stretched the clips accordingly.

The problem is easily solved by selecting the clips and disabling time stretch, but that also slightly alters the position of the audio in each clip, forcing me to re-edit everything. Changing the tempo back to its original setting won't work because that'll throw off more recent clips that were recorded at the new tempo. So either way, more editing work is required :(

These projects are not tempo-based, so timestretching isn't necessary and tempo doesn't matter. What matters is having everything locked down and not changeable.

I suppose another approach would be locking the tempo. Is there a way to do that? Is it as simple as creating a tempo automation lane with a single automation point that spans the entire project? I guess I should try that...
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

boingy

16 Apr 2019

I don't know the answer to your question but I can't help but wonder if you are using the wrong tool for the job.

Maybe a straightforward multitrack WAV editor like Audacity might suit better?

chaosroyale

16 Apr 2019

I second OP. Even for voice work, Audacity and similar programs are horrible ugly pigs and for complex tasks involving multi-tracking, dynamic EQ, automation of VST fx and so on, Reason is surprisingly good. Plus with Reason you also have that excellent pitch shift and tempo shift at hand on the rare occasions you need it.

For music composers too, a default timestretch on/off switch would be very welcome. Not everyone makes beat-matched techno.

NekujaK

16 Apr 2019

boingy wrote:
16 Apr 2019
I don't know the answer to your question but I can't help but wonder if you are using the wrong tool for the job.

Maybe a straightforward multitrack WAV editor like Audacity might suit better?
That thought has occurred to me, but I much prefer Reason's workflow, and it's easier to manage large projects in Reason than in a tool like Audacity. I realize Reason might seem like overkill for this type of work, but no more so than say Pro Tools, which is used by many studios to record voice overs.

Locking tempo and disabling time stretch seem like basic preferences that a DAW should have.

NekujaK

16 Apr 2019

chaosroyale wrote:
16 Apr 2019
I second OP. Even for voice work, Audacity and similar programs are horrible ugly pigs and for complex tasks involving multi-tracking, dynamic EQ, automation of VST fx and so on, Reason is surprisingly good. Plus with Reason you also have that excellent pitch shift and tempo shift at hand on the rare occasions you need it.

For music composers too, a default timestretch on/off switch would be very welcome. Not everyone makes beat-matched techno.
Amen :thumbs_up:

Steedus
Competition Winner

16 Apr 2019

Yeah this annoys me constantly. And there's other issues too which have been around since Record 1.0. Like a long imported audio clip won't display the full length of it in the sequencer initially, you have to manually drag out the clip to the end of the audio (why??). And then if you forget to extend the clip to the end of the audio, but then normalise it, it will cut off any audio beyond the end of the original clip length displayed, even if you resize it. Never understood it.

motuscott

16 Apr 2019

chaosroyale wrote:
16 Apr 2019

Seems like a Reasonable request
So... Banhammer?
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

plaamook

17 Apr 2019

Yeah I'm totally behind off as default.
In fact I'd just get rid of tempo data all together so I can do what I like with a file. I don't work on the grid so it's always a pain in the ass for me.

Also, while I press on with Reason for audio editing there are way better tools out there, I agree. But that's another thread really.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

ScuzzyEye

17 Apr 2019

Steedus wrote:
16 Apr 2019
And then if you forget to extend the clip to the end of the audio, but then normalise it, it will cut off any audio beyond the end of the original clip length displayed, even if you resize it. Never understood it.
This I can explain. Normalize renders the audio as a new recording (and preserves the old). Just like Bounce Clips to New Recordings. Both of those options ignore audio outside of clips, because it's assumed it has been trimmed, and is unused.

This could normally be used to recover space in a .reason file. You place cuts around silence in a track, and delete the silent clips. If you save now, and look the file isn't any smaller. But if you Bounce Clips to New Recordings, and then Delete Unused Recordings, Save and Optimize will result in a smaller file.

What makes that suck though, is the first part of the complain that the clip isn't sized to contain the whole imported track.

PhillipOrdonez

17 Apr 2019

When I work on this type of projects I simply alt click the tempo right from the start. if the tempo gets changed for whatever reason, it resets itself every time I stop/play. Problem solved. Bid goodbye the phasey and nightmare of large editing projects being effed up. ;)

Steedus
Competition Winner

17 Apr 2019

ScuzzyEye wrote:
17 Apr 2019
Steedus wrote:
16 Apr 2019
And then if you forget to extend the clip to the end of the audio, but then normalise it, it will cut off any audio beyond the end of the original clip length displayed, even if you resize it. Never understood it.
This I can explain. Normalize renders the audio as a new recording (and preserves the old). Just like Bounce Clips to New Recordings. Both of those options ignore audio outside of clips, because it's assumed it has been trimmed, and is unused.

This could normally be used to recover space in a .reason file. You place cuts around silence in a track, and delete the silent clips. If you save now, and look the file isn't any smaller. But if you Bounce Clips to New Recordings, and then Delete Unused Recordings, Save and Optimize will result in a smaller file.

What makes that suck though, is the first part of the complain that the clip isn't sized to contain the whole imported track.
Thanks, yeah this makes sense.

Vesterager

17 Apr 2019

NekujaK wrote:
16 Apr 2019
All newly recorded audio clips are enabled for timestretching by default. You can manually disable timestretching for individual clips from the menu, but this is an extra step you must remember to perform. Is there a way to have timestretch disabled by default for new clips?

I'm asking because I often have long voice over projects that take about 20-30 hours to record and edit. It's very detailed work that results in hundreds of small audio clips on the timeline. Somewhere during the process I often shift Reason's master tempo by accident. I don't even know how or when it happens, but suddenly on the 3rd or 4th day of recording, when I go back to listen to clips recorded on previous days, they sound phasey, and sure enough somewhere along the way, the tempo was altered by a couple of BPM and Reason stretched the clips accordingly.

The problem is easily solved by selecting the clips and disabling time stretch, but that also slightly alters the position of the audio in each clip, forcing me to re-edit everything. Changing the tempo back to its original setting won't work because that'll throw off more recent clips that were recorded at the new tempo. So either way, more editing work is required :(

These projects are not tempo-based, so timestretching isn't necessary and tempo doesn't matter. What matters is having everything locked down and not changeable.

I suppose another approach would be locking the tempo. Is there a way to do that? Is it as simple as creating a tempo automation lane with a single automation point that spans the entire project? I guess I should try that...
to lock the tempo, set it at what you want, right click-edit automation. just make sure you don't change it in the editing mode.
I've had the strange tempo changing problem as well and found it to be my fault -- careless mouse movements.

Nugroho

01 Oct 2019

I am not sure if there's an option to disable stretch setting in the Preferences
but, what about the "disable stretch" right-click menu on the clip?

regards
newly registered

chaosroyale

02 Oct 2019

OP and others (including me) were talking about disabling timestretch by default so that all clips would import at their original, unaltered speed. It's weird to me that timestretch is the default, because it really only makes sense to be the deafult setting if you always do 4/4 beatmached music like techno with easy-to-find rhythms in your audio tracks. For anything else it just fucks up your audio.

Hey, Reason Studios!! If you are not abandoning the DAW, please add an option for timestretch on/off by default! thanks!
Nugroho wrote:
01 Oct 2019
I am not sure if there's an option to disable stretch setting in the Preferences
but, what about the "disable stretch" right-click menu on the clip?

regards
newly registered

Heater

18 Mar 2023

Did this ever get sorted?

ljekio

18 Mar 2023

Alt+click on tempo is perfect solution. Or you can to save template with active tempo automation lane.

Heater

18 Mar 2023

ljekio wrote:
18 Mar 2023
Alt+click on tempo is perfect solution. Or you can to save template with active tempo automation lane.
Thanks. I will try it.

• Information