Using dual screen set up with Reason

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
MrFigg
Competition Winner

09 Apr 2019

Hi. I got it into my head to add another monitor. One for Sequencer/ mixer and the other for Rack. I’m running Windows 10. My graphics card has a VGA and HDMI out so that shouldn’t be a problem.
Question is, how does it work? I’m guessing I set up split screen and not duplicate screen But What Are the steps to get the Rack showing on one and the Sequencer showing on the other? Never done it before so I’d appreciate any help. Thanks :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

BananaSkins

09 Apr 2019

You've mostly answered your own questions, with both monitors active just drag whichever Reason window you want into which ever monitor you want; it's that simple. I use at least 3 monitors for Reason and have a 4th monitor ready when I really get into the critical mixing and mastering processes. Enjoy your extended viewing space :thumbs_up:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

09 Apr 2019

BananaSkins wrote:
09 Apr 2019
You've mostly answered your own questions, with both monitors active just drag whichever Reason window you want into which ever monitor you want; it's that simple. I use at least 3 monitors for Reason and have a 4th monitor ready when I really get into the critical mixing and mastering processes. Enjoy your extended viewing space :thumbs_up:
Thanks...and sorry for the next question. Do you mean I open Reason on monitor 1 with say the Rack open, drag it over to monitor 2 so the Rack is on both monitors and then select which monitor I want the Sequencer to show on?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

BananaSkins

09 Apr 2019

No just open Reason up on say monitor one; detach the Rack or Mixer and then you can drag these to your 2nd monitor.

Sorped

09 Apr 2019

F4, F5 and F6 lets you detach sequencer, mixer and rack from each other, so you just detach and drag to whichever monitor.
Alio Modo: SoundCloud
-----------
Born to lose, live to win.
Don't forget to back up your projects! :thumbs_up:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

09 Apr 2019

Aaaah. I always thought F4, 5 and 6 were just select buttons, not detach buttons. Excellent :). Thanks :)

Actually if I choose the Rack using F4 (or whatever it is) then drag it don’t I just drag the whole Reason over to screen 2 leaving screen 1 blank again?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

PhillipOrdonez

09 Apr 2019

MrFigg wrote:
09 Apr 2019
Aaaah. I always thought F4, 5 and 6 were just select buttons, not detach buttons. Excellent :). Thanks :)

Actually if I choose the Rack using F4 (or whatever it is) then drag it don’t I just drag the whole Reason over to screen 2 leaving screen 1 blank again?
Figg, though those aren't detach buttons AFAIK.

You need to detach them using the little arrows on the right side corners. Then you can just drag whatever wherever.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

09 Apr 2019

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
09 Apr 2019
MrFigg wrote:
09 Apr 2019

Figg, though those aren't detach buttons AFAIK.

You need to detach them using the little arrows on the right side corners. Then you can just drag whatever wherever.
Perfect. Thanks Phillip :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

WongoTheSane

09 Apr 2019

Best thing to do is to set up whatever window placement you fancy, then save that as a default template. This way, when you create a new document, it opens with the correct window placement every time, without having to detach/drag the window each time.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

09 Apr 2019

WongoTheSane wrote:
09 Apr 2019
Best thing to do is to set up whatever window placement you fancy, then save that as a default template. This way, when you create a new document, it opens with the correct window placement every time, without having to detach/drag the window each time.
Excellent. I was wondering just that. Thanks :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

WongoTheSane

09 Apr 2019

One more thing: if you're thinking of buying a new monitor, make sure you can rotate it sideways. That's what I use for the rack (I'm in the "all devices in a single column" camp):

3mon.jpg
3mon.jpg (285.88 KiB) Viewed 1897 times

MrFigg
Competition Winner

16 Apr 2019

Got a big monitor free from work. A €5 HDMI to DVI adapter and the day just got better. That on top of Reason 10.3 and Glitchmachines Convex for €2.50 on Plugin Boutique. Oj oj oj!!! And it's only just gone 10 :). Hope you're all having as good a day as I am
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

16 Apr 2019

...forgot to mention I got Regroover Essental for free with my purchase. Just gets better and better :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Soft Enerji

05 May 2019

WongoTheSane wrote:
09 Apr 2019
One more thing: if you're thinking of buying a new monitor, make sure you can rotate it sideways. That's what I use for the rack (I'm in the "all devices in a single column" camp):

3mon.jpg
Apolls to the OP for going slightly off topic...but I have to say that is a damn fine set up Mr Wongo!

• Information