(80's vibe synthpop with Bitleys refills)

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
jappe

07 Apr 2019

80's vibe synthpop.

What can be improved, what sounds nice - always great to get feedback on!

How I made this:

As almost always I started by building some blocks of drums.
Then experimented with chord progressions.

When chord progressions determined, record chord rhythms that fits with the drums.

Recording vocals: Center, Left, Right, and center overlay tracks. Polish the vocal tracks in Adobe Audition (Remove strange sub frequencies appearing from some unknown source) + Fix hilarious peaks and oddities like minor explosions which probably is saliva effects; swallowing a mouthful of olive oil helps. Pitch fix in Reason.

Lead synths recorded block by block; sometimes slowing down the tempo when recording so I can more easily follow the chord progressions. Retry until I find something that fits.

And then bass and filler instruments(bells etc)

Gradually improving parts after listening through: Play the song identifying the weakest spots, fixing them, and repeat the procedure.

* All instruments from Bitley's Fairlight CMI, Synclavier and other Bitley soundlibraries for Reason (bitley.laconicsounds.net)
* Jiggery Pokery's Steerpike Delay and Chenille Chorus are always my racks.
* Synapse GQ-7 EQ to cut and boost.
* Seligs Leveler for fixing vocal dynamics, as always.
* Onyx Tube Limiter to tame the peaks.
* Adobe Audition for manual tinkering,
* Mastered through emastered.com

Bitley patches used:
Electro 04
Electro 05
Deep Funk Bass
Dirty Funk Bass
Oberheim II
Juno
Don't you want synth
Just Can't round 2
Italpeggio
Annabelle
Don't You Want Strings
Sacred Voices
Glittery Poly

jappe

16 Apr 2019

I was just about to reply on a review I read earlier in this thread and realized the post didn't make it into the RT DB backup that was used to restore RT functionality after the outage.

I think it was Raymond - or maybe Some Desperate Glory - I always confuse you two :puf_bigsmile:

Anyway, I remember some feedback about song structure(I think?)

If I'm right, then it´s the usual suspect for my songs. The way I develop them makes them more progressive, sometimes drastically changing style or pace. (like the sudden transition at 3:46) Like segments of different movies glued together, and sometimes without bridging the gap between styles properly.
I do like shapeshifting music more than pattern-repeating music; but I think I can improve in having some common characteristics throughout the song.

Ah, and also vocals blended by effects was mentioned. I think that´s only for some part(s)?
There is a repeated part where I intended to have the vocals more embedded with the vocal effects. (from 3:22)

Bloma

19 Apr 2019

Always love your stuff man. Love that section that comes in at 4:00. That's like a trademark of you, those epic proggy bridge sections.

jappe

19 Apr 2019

Bloma wrote:
19 Apr 2019
Always love your stuff man. Love that section that comes in at 4:00. That's like a trademark of you, those epic proggy bridge sections.
Thanks for the encouragement!

modecca

22 Apr 2019

the intro section could be taken into a dark direction. What is the most dark song you have created?
🔗💥

MindTheft

22 Apr 2019

It’s bright and bouncy! I think the vocal gets drowned out a bit, can it be separated/brought forward in the mix a bit?..

bitley

24 Apr 2019

Awesome 1984 feeling in this. A great great honour that you're using my work & very kind of you to mention this as well. Lovely on every detail. Your voice is excellent for this but a more upfront lead vocal could also be considered, no girlfriends who would like to help out? It could take your music into a sweet Human league feeling. You must release this somehow. Amuse seems great here in Sweden, they will help you put it on Spotify for free. They also have an A & R department and might be able to put you in contact with potential collaborators. Anyway, thanks again and two large thumbs up! Keep up the good work!

jappe

24 Apr 2019

modecca wrote:
22 Apr 2019
the intro section could be taken into a dark direction. What is the most dark song you have created?
Thank you, always nice with some contrast; I'll keep that in mind.

Most dark song...I haven't done anything very dark really.
Melancholy vibe in The Cure and Memories Of You perhaps

jappe

24 Apr 2019

MindTheft wrote:
22 Apr 2019
It’s bright and bouncy! I think the vocal gets drowned out a bit, can it be separated/brought forward in the mix a bit?..
Thank's, I'll have a look at that; there are some problem spots that can get some attention.

jappe

24 Apr 2019

bitley wrote:
24 Apr 2019
Awesome 1984 feeling in this. A great great honour that you're using my work & very kind of you to mention this as well. Lovely on every detail. Your voice is excellent for this but a more upfront lead vocal could also be considered, no girlfriends who would like to help out? It could take your music into a sweet Human league feeling. You must release this somehow. Amuse seems great here in Sweden, they will help you put it on Spotify for free. They also have an A & R department and might be able to put you in contact with potential collaborators. Anyway, thanks again and two large thumbs up! Keep up the good work!
Most kind words, thank you!
No girlfriends in sight to help out I'm afraid :)
But it just so happens that I got a vocal recording session for birthday present from my daughter, so there's some hope there!
Having Human League style in mind for her contribution would be great.

Eventually it would be fun to put something on Spotify, thank's for the Amuse tip.

raymondh

17 May 2019

Really great. I like the excellent 'gritty' sound here. It contrasts really nicely with the sweet bells and so on.

That section commencing 2:00 is possibly my favourite I've heard in your great work. It's amazing.

MannequinRaces

18 May 2019

This is classic! Great job.

jappe

24 May 2019

raymondh wrote:
17 May 2019
Really great. I like the excellent 'gritty' sound here. It contrasts really nicely with the sweet bells and so on.

That section commencing 2:00 is possibly my favourite I've heard in your great work. It's amazing.
Thank you!

jappe

24 May 2019

MannequinRaces wrote:
18 May 2019
This is classic! Great job.
Many thanks for the encouraging words!

• Information