Sounds from PLAY VST get shortened when bouncing in Reason

Discuss VST stuff here!
Fiddlesticks

29 Mar 2019

I'm using Reason 10 and this is the first time I've used VST plugins. I've made several tracks using East West sounds through the PLAY plugin that the EW sounds default to. The parts are for instruments such as a rolled cimbalom and accordian. The parts are mostly sustained notes (quarter notes, half notes) at 80 bpm. There are several other parts/tracks in the piece that use instruments that are part of the Reason Factory library.

When I first mixed the piece and printed it using Export Song to Audio or Bounce Song, or whatever, I found that the parts using Reason instruments sounded fine. But the notes lengths from the VST plugin instruments all sounded shortened or cut off. Notes that were quarter-notes and half-notes all sounded like eighth-notes.

At first I thought there might have been something engaged at the Mixer that I wasn't aware of. Then I thought the problem might have been caused by the VST plugin being part of a Combinator, so I took it out of the combinator. I've tried creating a session that contained only one instrument track containing only the cimbalom and then Bounced to Track. In the audio track that was created I could see from the image that the noted durations were shortened.

There are plenty more tests I could (and will) perform, but if anyone has encountered this problem and has a suggestion to fix, I would greatly appreciate it.

kitekrazy

31 Mar 2019

Play 5 or Play 6?

joeyluck

31 Mar 2019

Please report this to Propellerhead. I reported a bug in the past, where it constantly crashed Reason when trying to export. It would often even fail to open files with Play instruments included. Sometimes when exporting it would not have sound in the first bar.

I was using a Composer Cloud subscription, which I had cancelled, so can't check anything any further...

aegisninja

01 Apr 2019

I have the same problem, and when I contacted EW they said it was a known issue with the way Reason bounces and there was basically nothing that could be done. Freakin' locked in for the year on Composer Cloud too....

aegisninja

02 Apr 2019

After literally months of trying to figure this out, I only just now stumbled into this video, and it actually worked for me.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

07 Apr 2019

This Is actually not an issue with reason but in reality with East west because I was able to reproduce it with reaper sometime ago and I think machine had the same problem.

Additional proof is that if you disable hdd streaming on East west export in any daw will work flawlessly.

The way I work with Ew now is, if my song is not too Big with too many East west devices I just disable hdd streaming and forget it.

If the song has a lot of devices with key changes the memory it needs is way more than what I have on my PC so I leave it as is and when I'm ready to export, I'll use the master channel as a source for a new track making a real time export (which is the way East West advices people to export).

TheDragonborg

26 Jun 2020

Bug still exists... I was wondering why my track wasn't sounding right... it was cutting off the notes of the beautify tanpura and sitar sounds I was using in the Goa track I am working on. The workaround in the video worked for me. Thanks.

hurricane
Competition Winner

26 Jun 2020

mcatalao wrote:
07 Apr 2019
This Is actually not an issue with reason but in reality with East west because I was able to reproduce it with reaper sometime ago and I think machine had the same problem.
Nope - works perfectly fine in Logic. Definitely cuts off in Reason. So to me and on my system, Reason is the problem.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

mcatalao
Competition Winner

27 Jun 2020

hurricane wrote:
26 Jun 2020

Nope - works perfectly fine in Logic. Definitely cuts off in Reason. So to me and on my system, Reason is the problem.
Maybe logic exports down in real time. Basicly it speeds down export for eastwest.

I tested in reaper and it had the same problem.

esselfortium

27 Jun 2020

Yeah, Play has had problems for years with offline bounce. When I looked into it a while back I found nearly a decade's worth of forum threads about it on various DAW forums. Apparently it was fixed at some point and then was broken again shortly afterwards. At this point I have no expectation that EastWest will ever fix it. And disabling disk streaming isn't really an option unless you have an absurd amount of RAM....
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

TheDragonborg

27 Jun 2020

esselfortium wrote:
27 Jun 2020
Yeah, Play has had problems for years with offline bounce. When I looked into it a while back I found nearly a decade's worth of forum threads about it on various DAW forums. Apparently it was fixed at some point and then was broken again shortly afterwards. At this point I have no expectation that EastWest will ever fix it. And disabling disk streaming isn't really an option unless you have an absurd amount of RAM....
Oh I do... lol 32GB here...

esselfortium

28 Jun 2020

TheDragonborg wrote:
27 Jun 2020
esselfortium wrote:
27 Jun 2020
I have 32gb as well and still have to use disk streaming and sample purging in Kontakt to keep things under control in larger projects.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

TheDragonborg

28 Jun 2020

esselfortium wrote:
28 Jun 2020
TheDragonborg wrote:
27 Jun 2020

I have 32gb as well and still have to use disk streaming and sample purging in Kontakt to keep things under control in larger projects.

I might only use a few Play instruments a track... the rest are synths. I'm using Ra to add some ethnic sounds to my Goa trance tracks... maybe I'd have a problem if I were doing full orchestrations...

jam-s

28 Jun 2020

aegisninja wrote:
02 Apr 2019
After literally months of trying to figure this out, I only just now stumbled into this video, and it actually worked for me.

Wow, 8 minutes of video to basically just tell you to uncheck the disk streaming feature in east west to get rid of the cut off sounds. :evil:

avasopht
Competition Winner

30 Aug 2020

Disabling disk streaming didn't work for me, so I just arm tracks to record from Play in Reason and Live.

It's a real shame as it means track freeze doesn't work, and I get the impression EastWest have no intention of fixing it.

• Information