What's your favorite food?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
splangie

27 Aug 2018

RobC wrote:
25 Aug 2018
Personally, I'm disappointed that in total, I didn't reach 300 tomato plants. Dx But next year Imma do it!!! : )
Btw, under a simple foil green house, it's said that tomatoes can extend until the start of winter. Depends on the area though, the climate.
Holie shiite. I was proud the first year I got 300 tomatoes from 4 plants. 300 tomatoe plants is way outside my comfort zone and garden size. I normally stick with medium and large varieties like Lemon Boys, Beefsteak, Celebrities, Brandywine and have had good luck with a few hierloom varieties, particualry the Cherokee and a couple of the Russians. I have a tendency to grow the same varieties once I am confident with it.

A big advantage with tomatoes that mature yellow and green is that the birds pretty much leave them alone. They are waiting for them to turn red. I normally have to pick the red tomatoes a few days before they are fully ripe (which does not affect taste) so the birds won't touch them. But the yellow and green tomatoes can practically rot on the vine and the birds won't think they are ready because they haven't turned red. They might figure it out one year but they haven't yet and I have been growing lemon boys in the same place for 10 years.

RobC

28 Aug 2018

splangie wrote:
27 Aug 2018
RobC wrote:
25 Aug 2018
Personally, I'm disappointed that in total, I didn't reach 300 tomato plants. Dx But next year Imma do it!!! : )
Btw, under a simple foil green house, it's said that tomatoes can extend until the start of winter. Depends on the area though, the climate.
Holie shiite. I was proud the first year I got 300 tomatoes from 4 plants. 300 tomatoe plants is way outside my comfort zone and garden size. I normally stick with medium and large varieties like Lemon Boys, Beefsteak, Celebrities, Brandywine and have had good luck with a few hierloom varieties, particualry the Cherokee and a couple of the Russians. I have a tendency to grow the same varieties once I am confident with it.

A big advantage with tomatoes that mature yellow and green is that the birds pretty much leave them alone. They are waiting for them to turn red. I normally have to pick the red tomatoes a few days before they are fully ripe (which does not affect taste) so the birds won't touch them. But the yellow and green tomatoes can practically rot on the vine and the birds won't think they are ready because they haven't turned red. They might figure it out one year but they haven't yet and I have been growing lemon boys in the same place for 10 years.
You 'can' be proud of that! Sadly, what mine produce, isn't exactly satisfying, compared to how much work they demand, but the ground isn't the best here and needs better and more soil. Yet I added 2 bags of cow shit xD as well as fluid soil. That said, at least stocked with tomatoes now, so I don't complain. I pretty much worked on them all summer - but the more experience!
Some more advanced tomato-nuts get some special stuff that they inject into the vines, giving them lots and huge tomatoes.
Unless they get over-dosed and ripened under neon lights, most tomatoes should be perfect, even with a bit of more modern help. But definitely not the abusively pushed stuff for supermarkets. No wonder there are people that hate tomatoes - I can't eat supermarket tomatoes either.

But yeah, I agree on the earlier collection - the red ones actually tend to have a slight beginning of rotting aroma to them, which I don't fancy. xD But too orange isn't good either when eaten raw, cause... I recently regret that. xD

These are: Cherry, Mano, Roma, Marmande - seeds imported from Spain, then Hungarian K3, as well as the huge, pink heart tomato - very juicy and meaty, and some cocktail tomatoes, etc.

Some are juicy, others sour, sweet, thick; so they mix well for a puree.

RobC

31 Aug 2018

20180831_163004.jpg
20180831_163004.jpg (885.18 KiB) Viewed 1484 times
Forget that kitchen sink...
...and last week's harvest seems like a joke now.

(Holy shiz, the summer-end tomatoes are really good, though!)

Zac

31 Aug 2018

That's a bumper harvest! My mum used to pour the blood from defrosted meat joints into the soil of her tomato plants... I've no idea myself if or why that might be a good thing?

splangie

31 Aug 2018

Zac wrote:
31 Aug 2018
That's a bumper harvest! My mum used to pour the blood from defrosted meat joints into the soil of her tomato plants... I've no idea myself if or why that might be a good thing?
Its like blood meal only not as concentrated or dried. It is a good quick nitrogen boost and you don't have to worry near as much about over doing it.

Zac

01 Sep 2018

splangie wrote:
31 Aug 2018
Zac wrote:
31 Aug 2018
Its like blood meal only not as concentrated or dried. It is a good quick nitrogen boost and you don't have to worry near as much about over doing it.
Blood meal desirability it was then. Nothing went to waste.

RobC

22 Mar 2019

100% home prepared hamburgers! Not bad for the first time. I almost loved my buns more than the meat itself. Used real cheese, and made my own tomato sauce of course. (Speaking of which! While there still are plenty left from last year's tomto harvest, I really need to plant those seeds for this year...)
Seriously, I couldn't put the bun down, it was that good! Almost burned the next batch of burgers. xD
20190322_162706.jpg
20190322_162706.jpg (791.44 KiB) Viewed 1276 times
The only thing missing? Preservatives, flavor enhancers, aroma, powders for better dough consistency, etc. : )

aeox
Competition Winner

22 Mar 2019

RobC wrote:
22 Mar 2019
100% home prepared hamburgers! Not bad for the first time. I almost loved my buns more than the meat itself. Used real cheese, and made my own tomato sauce of course. (Speaking of which! While there still are plenty left from last year's tomto harvest, I really need to plant those seeds for this year...)
Seriously, I couldn't put the bun down, it was that good! Almost burned the next batch of burgers. xD

20190322_162706.jpg

The only thing missing? Preservatives, flavor enhancers, aroma, powders for better dough consistency, etc. : )
Did you smoke the burgers?

splangie

22 Mar 2019

RobC wrote:
22 Mar 2019

20190322_162706.jpg
Those are two beautiful bums!

RobC

23 Mar 2019

aeox wrote:
22 Mar 2019
RobC wrote:
22 Mar 2019

20190322_162706.jpg

Did you smoke the burgers?
I don't have a grill yet, so just fried in oil - which has its own advantages, too.

RobC

23 Mar 2019

splangie wrote:
22 Mar 2019
RobC wrote:
22 Mar 2019

20190322_162706.jpg
Those are two beautiful bums!
Thanks! I made a new batch of buns today just for plain eating. They were gone faster than the hamburgers yesterday! xD Turned out nicer, too - probably cause I used a huge goose egg, and was more patient with letting the dough rest.

BRIGGS

23 Mar 2019

r11s

RobC

24 Mar 2019

BRIGGS wrote:
23 Mar 2019
Same here at the moment! : ) Only I put my bolognese sauce on top, with cheese.

Creativemind

24 Mar 2019

Yeah, mine has to be a curry. Any really as long as they're not super hot. A 3 chilli rating max. I like to taste it lol!

The one I probably order the most is a lamb Rogan Josh with a Peshwari naan bread.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 Mar 2019

Hard to find ingredients here further north in Sweden. Used to do a lot of Indian cooking when I lived in Glasgow. I just ordered 14 jars of different Patak’s curry pastes online yesterday and i have found a wee shop which sells ghee and fresh coriander. So happy :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Namyo85

24 Mar 2019

I don't actually know! It changes all the time. 'This week I be mostly eating' toast with chick pea hummus. ('The Fast Show' reference). Next week it could be Potatoes with melted cheese on them and some steamed broccoli. Sometimes I like curries but I haven't had one for a while. :mrgreen:

RobC

26 Mar 2019

I'm kind of surprised at myself how what's considered to be junk food, is my favorite ~ though I can't say I've eaten at fast food restaurants that much (little to none, actually). Though I don't see why the way I do it, couldn't be healthy.

Anyways, I gotta say the last pizza was slightly ~ not as good as today's. I didn't have much hope for the cheese's taste, but damn, it's way better than what I normally put on top. Everything worked out so perfectly! Love the sauce, and even the fold-back is nice and soft.
20190326_123902.jpg
20190326_123902.jpg (754.01 KiB) Viewed 1196 times

wildfusion

26 Mar 2019

Polish "Pierogi Ruskie"

RobC

27 Mar 2019

wildfusion wrote:
26 Mar 2019
Polish "Pierogi Ruskie"
Those look pretty!

Jagwah

28 Mar 2019

These, just buttered bread hold the sauce:

IMG_0135.jpg
IMG_0135.jpg (163.48 KiB) Viewed 1160 times

aeox
Competition Winner

28 Mar 2019

RobC wrote:
26 Mar 2019
I'm kind of surprised at myself how what's considered to be junk food, is my favorite ~ though I can't say I've eaten at fast food restaurants that much (little to none, actually). Though I don't see why the way I do it, couldn't be healthy.

Anyways, I gotta say the last pizza was slightly ~ not as good as today's. I didn't have much hope for the cheese's taste, but damn, it's way better than what I normally put on top. Everything worked out so perfectly! Love the sauce, and even the fold-back is nice and soft.

20190326_123902.jpg
I'm sure it tastes great but that looks like brains :D

It takes a lot of effort to get pictures of food to look good.

RobC

29 Mar 2019

Jagwah wrote:
28 Mar 2019

IMG_0135.jpg
Now we're talkin'! That's the stuff! : )

Jagwah

29 Mar 2019

RobC wrote:
29 Mar 2019
Jagwah wrote:
28 Mar 2019

IMG_0135.jpg
Had a couple of them every night this week with a beautiful plate of salad, om nom nom :puf_bigsmile:

RobC

29 Mar 2019

aeox wrote:
28 Mar 2019
RobC wrote:
26 Mar 2019

20190326_123902.jpg
I'm sure it tastes great but that looks like brains :D

It takes a lot of effort to get pictures of food to look good.
I tried to make marshmallows yesterday, which turned out like the Michelin Man performed inappropriate activity onto my baking tin. I'm pissed to the level of having a headache. Yet everything looked exactly like it was suggested.

RobC

29 Mar 2019

Jagwah wrote:
29 Mar 2019
RobC wrote:
29 Mar 2019

Had a couple of them every night this week with a beautiful plate of salad, om nom nom :puf_bigsmile:
You know how to live! : P I'd probably have them with mustard, or my tomato sauce.

• Information