Abandoned Rack Extensions

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
moneykube

22 Mar 2019

softphonics racks would be considered abandoned. With colossus on the verge of release when the sample theft vid came out. It was a crazy rack... was looking forward to that one and made a wack of patches for it I'll never be able to use. onward and upward ... can't think of any abandoned other then Uhbik and Softphonics
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

two shoes

22 Mar 2019

this just came up in another thread, but Softube have told me twice that they see no point in "wasting" any development resources updating or even bugfixing ANY of their rack extensions because "Reason users can just use the vst now". They have no problem continuing to ask $350 for their abandonware classic channel though which was decade old modeling tech even before they abandoned it. at least they were honest - i've spent over 2k usd on Softube vsts over the years and they'll not see another red cent from me unless they do an about face and port the mkii updates all their vsts got to the RE versions.

two shoes

22 Mar 2019

ReSpire is abandonware in my book too - it's been chock full of bugs since release and when I contacted Reveal about a timeline to get some of the known issues fixed they denied there was anything wrong with it and said they have no plans to update it. then a few months later they released an "update" that didn't fix any of the known bugs except an LFO desync issue as far as I know. great way to support your $189 plugin Reveal...

two shoes

23 Mar 2019

scratchnsnifff wrote:
22 May 2017
U-he?
abandoned? they aren't even for sale anymore - they exist only in the racks of people who owned them when they were killed off. I could care less about U-he as I never found his vsts very useful, but i do wish some of you guys would join my one man campaign to get the new owners of Cakewalk's IP to talk to Propellerhead about putting RE-2A back in the shop. it's a crying shame we can't buy that one anymore.

two shoes

23 Mar 2019

guitfnky wrote:
22 Mar 2019
I’d say the McDSP REs have been abandoned. they’ve known about the bugs with their EQs for a couple of years now, I think, and have seemingly done nothing to try to fix it. any RE that’s released in a buggy state and left that way is definitely not finished in my view. otherwise I agree with the electronic panda.
what are the bugs with the McDSP EQs? i haven't noticed any myself and I use them all on a regular basis.

guitfnky

23 Mar 2019

two shoes wrote:
23 Mar 2019
guitfnky wrote:
22 Mar 2019
I’d say the McDSP REs have been abandoned. they’ve known about the bugs with their EQs for a couple of years now, I think, and have seemingly done nothing to try to fix it. any RE that’s released in a buggy state and left that way is definitely not finished in my view. otherwise I agree with the electronic panda.
what are the bugs with the McDSP EQs? i haven't noticed any myself and I use them all on a regular basis.
as I recall ( haven’t used them in awhile), if you turn the gain knob for any of the EQ bands too quickly, the knob moves, but nothing happens to the sound. if you save and reload the project though, it corrects itself. I want to say it happens mostly when using shorter buffer settings, but I may have that backwards.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Jackjackdaw

23 Mar 2019

I watched a props guy do a talk introducing Rack extensions. The defining principle behind them is that they only had to write them once and they would always work with Reason. I wonder if that might be one of the roadblocks for Reason getting a GUI update for hi-res screens?

esselfortium

23 Mar 2019

Jackjackdaw wrote:
23 Mar 2019
I watched a props guy do a talk introducing Rack extensions. The defining principle behind them is that they only had to write them once and they would always work with Reason. I wonder if that might be one of the roadblocks for Reason getting a GUI update for hi-res screens?
A roadblock in what sense?

Rack extensions have required hi-res assets to be submitted for as long as rack extensions have existed, so when Reason gets a hi-res rack, every RE will already support it.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Jackjackdaw

23 Mar 2019

Like I said, 'I wonder' cus I wasn't aware devs need to submit hi-res artwork with their REs. There has to be some kind of difficulty in implementing a hi-res GUI. If it's just a case of exporting new photoshop files of the rack with higher PPI then props could push it out tomorrow surely?

DJMaytag

23 Mar 2019

Expert Sleepers Silent Way is officially abandoned, and there’s a bug where velocity no longer works. It’s a major bug, but... those VST’s though...

sleep1979

20 Jun 2019

ltbrunt00 wrote:
22 May 2017
I think there should be a list of Rack Extensions that will likely not receive updates or is abandoned. I have purchased these products, I'll be sad to not see updates or newer versions in the Prop shop.

Here are RE's I can think of off the top of my head.

Heavyocity's Aeon collection (get it on discount)
E-Instrument's StringWerk (amazing product I like the interface better than Session String Pro VST)
ProjectSAM's orchestral sampler (Save your money this should be 49.99 at best)
Still havent been any updates ? Aeon is gone

scratchnsnifff

24 Jun 2019

sleep1979 wrote:
20 Jun 2019
ltbrunt00 wrote:
22 May 2017
I think there should be a list of Rack Extensions that will likely not receive updates or is abandoned. I have purchased these products, I'll be sad to not see updates or newer versions in the Prop shop.

Here are RE's I can think of off the top of my head.

Heavyocity's Aeon collection (get it on discount)
E-Instrument's StringWerk (amazing product I like the interface better than Session String Pro VST)
ProjectSAM's orchestral sampler (Save your money this should be 49.99 at best)
Still havent been any updates ? Aeon is gone
This thread really makes me wish the props had a nice campaign of bringing big names on board.

I remember when 9.5 came out steve Duda basically said he liked the idea, but idk if the props ever got that going.

You would think with all the music events that they go to, that they would have talks with other developers. Maybe work out deals like a sign on bonus or something.
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

theshoemaker

24 Jun 2019

rcbuse wrote:
22 May 2017
ltbrunt00 wrote:I think there should be a list of Rack Extensions that will likely not receive updates or is abandoned. I have purchased these products, I'll be sad to not see updates or newer versions in the Prop shop.
I think that list would be the vast majority of Rack Extensions. You use the word "abandoned" but I think that most RE developers would use the term "finished". I think most REs come out, get a few minor updates for bug fixes, and thats it. Developers move on to the next device. It's not like they stop working and rot away.
Most DAW Ecosystems unfortunarely do it like this, no matter where I look. Instead of adding new features or refactoring existing products to more useable ones. For example: If they would do a major rework of thor and it's useability without leaving out the oscillator routing. make the oscillators exchangeable, add some plugin system to the sdk, same for filters. Why not going modular the reason why all way down? Complex does routing better, still closed in one device.
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

Loque

24 Jun 2019

theshoemaker wrote:
24 Jun 2019
...still closed in one device.
No device is really closed, especially in Reason. If they would "open" it, thing would just be much easier.
Reason12, Win10

boingy

24 Jun 2019

scratchnsnifff wrote:
24 Jun 2019

You would think with all the music events that they go to, that they would have talks with other developers. Maybe work out deals like a sign on bonus or something.
I think it's just diminishing returns. Now that we can use VSTs there is not much incentive for a developer to make RE versions of their VSTs. It's such a crowded market that prices are low and sales are almost permanent - hard to persuade a dev that they would get back their investment?

Loque

24 Jun 2019

boingy wrote:
24 Jun 2019
scratchnsnifff wrote:
24 Jun 2019

I think it's just diminishing returns. Now that we can use VSTs there is not much incentive for a developer to make RE versions of their VSTs. It's such a crowded market that prices are low and sales are almost permanent - hard to persuade a dev that they would get back their investment?
Its just a matter of crap or no crap. If you have great products, ppl buy it for a good price. If you have crap, nobody would take it for free, maybe only if he gets paid.
Reason12, Win10

BigPictureSound

27 Jun 2019

joeyluck wrote:
22 May 2017
One of the huge benefits of the RE format is they are future proof. Different story for VSTs. Once those are "abandoned" or discontinued, it's just a matter of time before they aren't supported and don't work on newer hardware and OS versions.
This is why I moved to Reason 10 last November. I got tired of chasing license keys from multiple vendors anytime I need to reinstall only to find out the product is no longer supported/abandoned and my license key can't phone home because the server is closed.

Having rack extensions all neatly in one place in a format I can trust was a big selling point for me.

ltbrunt00

27 Jun 2019

itspeaking wrote:
27 Jun 2019
joeyluck wrote:
22 May 2017
One of the huge benefits of the RE format is they are future proof. Different story for VSTs. Once those are "abandoned" or discontinued, it's just a matter of time before they aren't supported and don't work on newer hardware and OS versions.
This is why I moved to Reason 10 last November. I got tired of chasing license keys from multiple vendors anytime I need to reinstall only to find out the product is no longer supported/abandoned and my license key can't phone home because the server is closed.

Having rack extensions all neatly in one place in a format I can trust was a big selling point for me.
Since I will die a hardcore reason user I usually try to buy all my soft synths as rack extensions unless it is from another developer that will be around for a long time like Kontakt. I am going to be upgrading my main DAW computer soon and I'm dreading having to deal with the licenses from some of my VST products.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

DJMaytag

07 Jun 2022

Bumping this for updating the list for 2022. Anyone else ending development of their RE’s in the past few years? I noted in another thread that I want to support developers actively involved in making/supporting RE’s. I’d rather avoid buying products that the developer has decided they won’t be continuing RE development.

Billy+

07 Jun 2022

DJMaytag wrote:
07 Jun 2022
Bumping this for updating the list for 2022. Anyone else ending development of their RE’s in the past few years? I noted in another thread that I want to support developers actively involved in making/supporting RE’s. I’d rather avoid buying products that the developer has decided they won’t be continuing RE development.
I would prefer to buy vst versions of rack extensions at the moment as it's seems they are able to deal with issues that the SDK isn't solving and RS would rather ignore - if we are being encouraged to use RRP then vst's are the future.

DJMaytag

07 Jun 2022

I’ve reached a point where I have entirely too many VST’s and would prefer things that are easier to access in the rack.

Skullture

08 Jun 2022

Could you imagine if you could control vst's directly from the rack?
Gamechanger!

Dreaming isn't forbidden right? :D

Shoukz

09 Jun 2022

joeyluck wrote:
22 May 2017
One of the huge benefits of the RE format is they are future proof.
futur proof until it won't

I could make somes combinator presets with some UH-e or cakewalk RE I own, but how many could use them since it's no more possible to buy them.

joeyluck

09 Jun 2022

Shoukz wrote:
09 Jun 2022
joeyluck wrote:
22 May 2017

I could make somes combinator presets with some UH-e or cakewalk RE I own, but how many could use them since it's no more possible to buy them.
That's not what it means though. The plugins themselves are future proof. Great example that even the ones removed from the shop will continue to work in future versions of Reason and you will still have access to them to download and sync them.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

09 Jun 2022

Shoukz wrote:
09 Jun 2022
joeyluck wrote:
22 May 2017

Me..RE-2A is the best compressor ever...in my opinion at any rate. It's the only one I use. Also got all the Uhbik ones :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information