The Elektron Model:Samples

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
jayhosking

23 Jan 2019

My first impression of this thing isn’t hot. Kind of terrible name, six- (rather than eight-) sample layout, sort of halfway between a Digitakt and Circuit without the biggest advantages of either, and not very pleasing to look at. That said, who knows about its workflow and sound, but I’m hard-pressed to understand who this thing is for. I’d be glad to be wrong on it, though! Always happy to have a new groovebox to tinker with.

I got news of it in my inbox, but here’s something from Music Radar:

https://www.musicradar.com/news/namm-20 ... ays-wanted

O1B

06 Mar 2019

My take...

- The Drap and Drop sample system is easy.
- The fidelity/samples are killer.
- Samples is more 'playable' than all the others ... no chiclets... Global Changes EASY - stand-alone.
- Stereo Outs.
- MIDI and USB
- 6 Sounds' is plenty for a 'Kit'
- Sound Shaping Options close to Digitakt, so I'm miss little
*** The step sequencer .... ahh, the step sequencer. ****
- Battery Pack to come.

It's light as a feather and is with me everywhere.
Digitakt's SOUND made me Elektron. But, Digitakt's form factor is ... a little annoying.. for my setup.

Samples - being light and 'playful' - is easy to hold and re-position.

... sold my Digitakt... Bought the Model:Samples... no regrets, so far.
IMG_0025.jpg
IMG_0025.jpg (624.77 KiB) Viewed 1945 times

O1B

06 Mar 2019

WARNING

IF you Purchase, you may get stuck -

- Dropping the BASS
- Killing the Highs
- Filter Sweeping ad infinitum
- Down Pitching before - 'Bringing the Beat Back!"

- Generally Phucking Schitt up for hours on end ...

You've been WARNED

It's Loads of Fun! I Love that in a Device.

PhillipOrdonez

06 Mar 2019

It is on my wishlist... Looking for some of that sequencer juice to freshen up my beets.

jayhosking

06 Mar 2019

More direct 1:1 knob:function controls works for me, as does having independent step lengths for each track, and I like that it has some of Digitakt's best features ("control all"). But I still don't know if the Elektron workflow is for me (I didn't care much for the Digitakt's workflow, even if it had some great sound), and I still think the Circuit does more and does it better in some ways.

O1B

13 Mar 2019

I do do do have to try the Circuit.

And... now is the Time:
Novation Circuit crams still more features: 1.8 update

Record without quantizing. This one’s long overdue – sure, it’s nice that Circuit automatically quantizes for anyone who’s finger drumming skills suck, but it also takes the soul out of the music. Now you can choose.

Synth microsteps. Each step has up to six microsteps for still more rhythmic division.

Yes. Yes, it's time.
jayhosking wrote:
06 Mar 2019
More direct 1:1 knob:function controls works for me, as does having independent step lengths for each track, and I like that it has some of Digitakt's best features ("control all"). But I still don't know if the Elektron workflow is for me (I didn't care much for the Digitakt's workflow, even if it had some great sound), and I still think the Circuit does more and does it better in some ways.

O1B

18 Mar 2019

The BASS in this THING!!! DAMNNN!!!! I have to turn of all EQs. Now that is some Starting Sonics.

The "Live" Play is addictive.

jayhosking

21 Mar 2019

Picked this up today used, for a song, from a guy who didn't click with it. More thoughts on it soon!

diminished
Competition Winner

21 Mar 2019

Sorry to interrupt you guys, but do have a recommendation for someone who is looking for a "better" pocket operator K.O.33 sampler? Something still portable but with more voices, and where hidden commands are not considered a feature but a bug :D
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

Exowildebeest

21 Mar 2019

O1B wrote:
18 Mar 2019
The BASS in this THING!!! DAMNNN!!!! I have to turn of all EQs. Now that is some Starting Sonics.
If you like deep warm bass, you should definitely check out the Analog Rytm too - I have the MKI and while I don't use it much for sequencing anymore, I couldn't live without my homemade bassdrums :)

jayhosking

21 Mar 2019

diminished wrote:
21 Mar 2019
Sorry to interrupt you guys, but do have a recommendation for someone who is looking for a "better" pocket operator K.O.33 sampler? Something still portable but with more voices, and where hidden commands are not considered a feature but a bug :D
Hey there, Diminished. I honestly think the PO-33 can't be beat for that price, size, portability, etc. Beyond that, you're looking at something like the Elektron Digitakt, which is full of all sorts of menu diving and has no mic in and has no battery power, or the Synthstrom Deluge, which is awesome, mic'd, and battery powered, but still slower to work with than the PO-33. Honestly, maybe just use an app on your phone? The Maschine app does really quick sampling and has way more voices than the PO-33. Not sure what devices it's available on but I have it for iOS.

diminished
Competition Winner

23 Mar 2019

jayhosking wrote:
21 Mar 2019
Hey there, Diminished. I honestly think the PO-33 can't be beat for that price, size, portability, etc. Beyond that, you're looking at something like the Elektron Digitakt, which is full of all sorts of menu diving and has no mic in and has no battery power, or the Synthstrom Deluge, which is awesome, mic'd, and battery powered, but still slower to work with than the PO-33. Honestly, maybe just use an app on your phone? The Maschine app does really quick sampling and has way more voices than the PO-33. Not sure what devices it's available on but I have it for iOS.
Thanks jay, I was afraid I get an answer like that :) I mean the PO-33 is cool but I really hate the "hacking" approach when I just want to jam. On my android phone I have - besides other - Caustic 3, which I love because it's a bit like Reason but sexy in its own way. But swiping and tapping on a small screen is not what I consider fun, it's tedious and exhausting after a while.. sigh, I guess I have to learn getting more out of the PO-33 with less brain power.

Thanks for the reply!
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

• Information