JPS Harmonic Synthesizer in the shop. $79 US

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
jappe

14 Jan 2017

Sale ended or not, it's been on my wishlist for some time and I finally got it today.
Something nice to explore this weekend.
Glad to see there's a Chenille 2 soon to be released, I've used Chenille in everyone of my latest songs, really great device.

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

14 Jan 2017

jappe wrote:Sale ended or not, it's been on my wishlist for some time and I finally got it today.
Something nice to explore this weekend.
Glad to see there's a Chenille 2 soon to be released, I've used Chenille in everyone of my latest songs, really great device.
Thanks, nice to hear!

moalla

16 Nov 2017

Really really nice synth, wich beats Antidote in several things, but the cpu load iss horrible sometimes :roll:

There are some plans to improve the cpu usage, that we coul use it in complex projects more than one Time?
What´s the difference between chennile 1 and 2?

nice regards
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

16 Nov 2017

moalla wrote:
16 Nov 2017
Really really nice synth, wich beats Antidote in several things, but the cpu load iss horrible sometimes :roll:

There are some plans to improve the cpu usage, that we coul use it in complex projects more than one Time?
What´s the difference between chennile 1 and 2?

nice regards
Thanks.

Scuzzy has identified a possible saving (I can't promise it'll make a big difference, but there's a possible saving is all I'll say), and we'll make that change, but due to his work commitments I'm afraid that won't be until next year.

Like a lot of REs, yes, it can be a CPU beast, and how much you can run depends on what you have. I've found that a modern machine like a Ryzen 1700/1800 or Intel i5/i7 it handles well and is no worse, imho than most synths. I can quite easily run the old 10-12xJPS demo tracks at low latency these days at without getting anywhere near CPU limits. Since upgrading from my old Phenom X4, I've often run two or three polyphonic HS instances even with 8x oversampling engaged, in some fairly busy tracks without the machine breaking a sweat. Generally though, leave oversampling to x2, or turn it off to eke out extra CPU savings, just remember to reenable/max oversampling at render time. You can also reduce voices to a bare minimum on polyphonic patches (which might result in some voice stealing), and then likewise increase them before rendering too to remove voice stealing.

Both those tricks can be applied to any RE synth that has adjustable oversampling and/or voices.

Chenille 2 is a visual refresh, and patch update/reorganisation.

Crumbfort

21 Mar 2019

Heck yeah! Such an awesome RE. Thanks for the free update, JP!
Descent: Legends of the Dark // Darkeport Productions // The LotR: ACG // Blue Zones (Netflix) // Chef's Table (Netflix)

(Composer for visual media / Adeptus Mechanicus Synthseer)

dioxide

21 Mar 2019

Bonus points for the addition to the manual! I like it.

Zac

21 Mar 2019

Crumbfort wrote:
21 Mar 2019
Heck yeah! Such an awesome RE. Thanks for the free update, JP!
+1

Thanks JP! Three panel loveliness.

Loque

21 Mar 2019

Ah....erm...what? Cool! Improved anti-aliasing and optimized performance. And FREE!!! JP!!! :thumbs_up:
animated-monkey-image-0241.gif
animated-monkey-image-0241.gif (25.2 KiB) Viewed 2335 times
Reason12, Win10

Boombastix
Competition Winner

21 Mar 2019

Ah, looks like a very clever update, nice!
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Loque

22 Mar 2019

I just remembered some angry statements and discussions preventing this release. What happened?
Reason12, Win10

challism

22 Mar 2019

Loque wrote:
22 Mar 2019
I just remembered some angry statements and discussions preventing this release. What happened?
I remember something about that too. But according to Matt, I didn't. Then I got a wink face. ;)

I've been wanting to pick JPS up. Now I really really want to pick it up. Thing looks like a beast. Nice update.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Karim
Competition Winner

22 Mar 2019

I'm a proud owner of this incredible synth. and i'm an admirer of jean michel jarre.
So much so that I am waiting for the eminent and the elka to go to sale to complete the collection.
Never before with these unique racks in the world have I felt so close to my favorite international artist.
thanks Matt!
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

22 Mar 2019

Loque wrote:
22 Mar 2019
It got fixed. (Kinda... I'm over it. It's out now :p )

Loque

22 Mar 2019

JiggeryPokery wrote:
22 Mar 2019
Loque wrote:
22 Mar 2019
It got fixed. (Kinda... I'm over it. It's out now :p )
Celebration time in the end...
tumblr_n7ozmwvrDd1qfsmkoo7_400.gif
tumblr_n7ozmwvrDd1qfsmkoo7_400.gif (497.32 KiB) Viewed 2170 times
Reason12, Win10

dvdrtldg

22 Mar 2019

Fantastic, there's my weekend in the bag. Absolutely love this synth

TheGodOfRainbows

22 Mar 2019

I love this synth. Thanks for the FREE update!

Catblack

22 Mar 2019

Amazing update. A great synth just got much better.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

jam-s

22 Mar 2019

Most stylish manual ever. ;) Thanks for the new features.

anko

22 Mar 2019

let me add to the general thanks and happiness, i just love this synth! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :D

challism

13 May 2022

Resurrecting this OLD thread....
I'm just now trialing this. On sale for $29 for MM (2022)... hard to pass that up.
Is it me... or is synth HUNGRY!!!!!!! This one patch seems to be the most demanding. Sounds fantastic, but... wow... it's crackling like mad. And this is the only thing in the rack, other than a player (playing monophonic 1/4 notes).
JPS.JPG
JPS.JPG (147.63 KiB) Viewed 1245 times

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

14 May 2022

challism wrote:
13 May 2022
Resurrecting this OLD thread....
I'm just now trialing this. On sale for $29 for MM (2022)... hard to pass that up.
Is it me... or is synth HUNGRY!!!!!!! This one patch seems to be the most demanding. Sounds fantastic, but... wow... it's crackling like mad. And this is the only thing in the rack, other than a player (playing monophonic 1/4 notes).
Yes it can be pretty hungry, especially some patches. Have you looked at the back? If I remember correctly there are oversampling/quality options. That should at least help.
Despite its hunger I think the synth has a pretty unique sound. This is definitely one I’d like to revisit and explore further.

challism

14 May 2022

TritoneAddiction wrote:
14 May 2022

Yes it can be pretty hungry, especially some patches. Have you looked at the back? If I remember correctly there are oversampling/quality options. That should at least help.
Despite its hunger I think the synth has a pretty unique sound. This is definitely one I’d like to revisit and explore further.
Ah... good call. I'll flip it over and have a look at the back. I do like this synth and will be buying it. It sounds great and, as you said, it is unique.

EDIT: Just checked and the default setting for that particular patch is 2x oversampling. And I hadn't changed it before taking the picture.

challism

14 May 2022

I just checked and this is set at 2x oversampling (default setting). Pictured is the CPU meter for a project with one device - no players, no effects, just one instance of JPS, and a couple of bounced audio files - the transport isn't even running; the device is completely IDLE (as you can see in the picture). The CPU meter is bouncing between 8 and 13% (remember, that's IDLE). This RE is pretty much unusable for me if this is normal. I'll have to bounce everything to track. I'm kind of sad about that. I might not even buy it because of this issue. I've still got 2 weeks to decide before MM is over. It's unlikely I will ever really use it, though, if it's this much of a CPU hog.
JPS8-13.JPG
JPS8-13.JPG (206.7 KiB) Viewed 1184 times

eusti

14 May 2022

Don't recall it being that hungry. Are the release times super long?

D.

• Information