You wake up as the CEO of Propellerhead. What would you do?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
EdGrip

18 Mar 2019

Great post, Ernst - thanks for taking the time to write it! ^_^

I'll just assume there are delicious Swedish pastries from time to time.

danc

18 Mar 2019

EdGrip wrote:
18 Mar 2019
Great post, Ernst - thanks for taking the time to write it! ^_^

I'll just assume there are delicious Swedish pastries from time to time.
I would walk into the Propellerhead office and say to all the staff... from now on....COMMUNICATE REGULARLY with our customers. Our customer feel like they are in a REALLY BAD relationship... where the LOVE only goes one way. Our customers want to talk to us, but we don't talk back. Our customers want to help us improve Reason, yet we don't engage with them and discuss ideas about what needs polishing.

Take VST optimisation. It appears that Propellerhead have stopped thinking about anything else for the last year or so. The only once in a while communication "update" to us un-cared for customer is VST optimisation related. Yes - VST optimisation is important - but seriously there are other things. It's a bit like BREXIT. UK politicians have totally given us dealing with anything else for 3-years. Forget fixing the NHS or schools or crime or care for the elderly or mental health issues etc. They can only think about leaving Europe.

(Ok - we got given merged lane viewing last year - thanks for that... but without sounding too not thankful, every other DAW had that like 10+ years ago).

So Propellerhead - get off your high horse and talk to us. Read the forums and see that we have carefully put together a massive long list of things that need dealing with in Reason - like adding groups into the rack, so that we can organise things properly. And automation curves etc etc. You might think you already know what needs dealing with... but the forums help you see what's important to your customer.

Please - we FEEL that you are so cold to us!
Check my Soundcloud:

EdGrip

18 Mar 2019

They know what we chat about on here. They know our feature requests. :)

danc

18 Mar 2019

EdGrip wrote:
18 Mar 2019
Glad they do - are we meant to guess that they do?! Nothing like 2-way communication.
Check my Soundcloud:

selig
RE Developer

18 Mar 2019

danc wrote:
EdGrip wrote:
18 Mar 2019
Glad they do - are we meant to guess that they do?! Nothing like 2-way communication.
That’s exactly what recently happened here, with the freaking CEO for goodness sake. I’ve never seen a CEO pop in for a chat or publish their phone number as Ernst has done. :)

Sure, some folks will always want more communication, but for each minute they are here chatting with use they are not working on adding new features! ;)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Loque

18 Mar 2019

selig wrote:
18 Mar 2019
danc wrote:
That’s exactly what recently happened here, with the freaking CEO for goodness sake. I’ve never seen a CEO pop in for a chat or publish their phone number as Ernst has done. :)

Sure, some folks will always want more communication, but for each minute they are here chatting with use they are not working on adding new features! ;)

Possibly the best argument for less communication.
Reason12, Win10

SoulState

18 Mar 2019

danc wrote:
18 Mar 2019

Please - we FEEL that you are so cold to us!
Speak for yourself mate.

Been using Reason since day 1and never been happier with the program or the boys + girls behind it! :thumbs_up:
:reason:

FLVZ

18 Mar 2019

QVprod wrote:
17 Mar 2019
Flavolous wrote:
17 Mar 2019

If Reason was offered to High school/College/university students at a discounted rate...
It is actually and has been for years.

Multi-seat license for institutions $2,000 USD for 10 seats (though no RE access)

Student/Teacher price $300 ($100 cheaper) for full version
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... n-download
Mmm well Sweetwater isnt exactly an ed institution. This is a slightly passive approach and different (type of partnership/deal) to what I meant, but I guess the hardwork is convincing the ed establish that adapting Reason into their curriculum is worth it. Lots more obstacles the further you look into the well...

Boombastix
Competition Winner

18 Mar 2019

selig wrote:
18 Mar 2019
danc wrote: Sure, some folks will always want more communication, but for each minute they are here chatting with use they are not working on adding new features! ;)
Ernst is not coding, so every minute communicating with his user base the better he will be able to steer the Propellerhead ship. This is part of what he should be doing, they are a small company after all, so it's not like he has a dozen people doing this kind of stuff.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

QVprod

18 Mar 2019

Flavolous wrote:
18 Mar 2019
QVprod wrote:
17 Mar 2019

It is actually and has been for years.

Multi-seat license for institutions $2,000 USD for 10 seats (though no RE access)

Student/Teacher price $300 ($100 cheaper) for full version
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... n-download
Mmm well Sweetwater isnt exactly an ed institution. This is a slightly passive approach and different (type of partnership/deal) to what I meant, but I guess the hardwork is convincing the ed establish that adapting Reason into their curriculum is worth it. Lots more obstacles the further you look into the well...
You misunderstand. Sweetwater is just the store I linked. It's an educational discount for students/teachers available to anyone who is a student or teacher. Other stores sell it as well.The amazon link is the same kind of volume licensing offered by pretty much all DAWs. That said, I took a midi course in college and Reason was one of the programs we had to use for that class (I was already a user by then). It's probably not as rare as it seems. When Dubspot was still a thing, Reason was part of their curriculum as well.

Faastwalker

19 Mar 2019

Great thread :thumbs_up:

I'd wake up & decide Reason needs a dedicated MIDI controller with a shit load of knobs, one big 'mouse over' knob (with switchable horizontal, vertical, circular control), software editor & 'bring your own screen' overview (synced to App that runs on ALL major platforms) of all assignable knobs showing what is controlling what + working as an editor, control 'patch' librarian etc. The device itself would be very simple, probably no screen, well built but with a low cost due to minimal technology inside. I've got it all figured out. I just lack the light to show me the way. But if I was CEO of Propellerhead .................. :D

I keep bleating on about hardware control of software. Still an area lacking for me. I was playing with Complex-1 over the weekend. Man I love that thing. But it's getting extremely long in the tooth controlling these devices with a mouse / click / drag. I've tried a lot of what's out there. Lets face it. It's mainly a variation on a theme - knobs/sliders/buttons x8, x8, x8. Not enough! Any more (or multiple layers) and it becomes less workable & a headache. I have a solution. I can picture it in my head. There's a better way if I was CEO of Propellerhead .................. ;)

supersplaron

19 Mar 2019

ernstnathorst wrote:
15 Mar 2019
We’re thinking about starting an AMA on Instagram (don’t know when!), so if you want to help us kick that off, send in some questions on this topic or anything else you'd like to find out and I will try my best to answer.
Like Ernst said, we are thinking about an AMA on Instagram, so start thinking about those questions! :)

guitfnky

19 Mar 2019

supersplaron wrote:
19 Mar 2019
ernstnathorst wrote:
15 Mar 2019
We’re thinking about starting an AMA on Instagram (don’t know when!), so if you want to help us kick that off, send in some questions on this topic or anything else you'd like to find out and I will try my best to answer.
Like Ernst said, we are thinking about an AMA on Instagram, so start thinking about those questions! :)
here’s one...high-level—where do you see Reason five, or ten years from now? will it be a mature DAW, with an incredible set of music tools? or a deep instrument platform with a lean but capable set of recording/production tools? something else entirely?
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

adfielding

19 Mar 2019

This thread took a wonderfully unexpected turn. Love it!

diminished
Competition Winner

19 Mar 2019

supersplaron wrote:
19 Mar 2019

Reason Hardware. Let's be real. What's coming and when. And will it be more like a combinator kind of device, or single RE only?
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

mashers

19 Mar 2019

guitfnky wrote:
19 Mar 2019
where do you see Reason five, or ten years from now? will it be a mature DAW, with an incredible set of music tools? or a deep instrument platform with a lean but capable set of recording/production tools?
In my opinion it is already both of those things.

guitfnky

19 Mar 2019

mashers wrote:
19 Mar 2019
guitfnky wrote:
19 Mar 2019
where do you see Reason five, or ten years from now? will it be a mature DAW, with an incredible set of music tools? or a deep instrument platform with a lean but capable set of recording/production tools?
In my opinion it is already both of those things.
I agree, but the question is which they’ll lean more heavily into, going forward.

mashers

19 Mar 2019

guitfnky wrote:
19 Mar 2019
I agree, but the question is which they’ll lean more heavily into, going forward.
Ahh I see. Well hopefully they can keep the balance of both as it seems to be now. To be honest there’s not much that radically needs to be changed in Reason for me. A bit of an update to the sequencer and an improved Combinator and it will be pretty much perfect for me.

guitfnky

19 Mar 2019

mashers wrote:
19 Mar 2019
guitfnky wrote:
19 Mar 2019
Ahh I see. Well hopefully they can keep the balance of both as it seems to be now. To be honest there’s not much that radically needs to be changed in Reason for me. A bit of an update to the sequencer and an improved Combinator and it will be pretty much perfect for me.
I’m with you. 👍🏼 the sequencer could use some of the basic quality-of-life features found in other DAWs, but on balance, it’s already right in the sweet spot for me, overall. it’s an inspiring piece of software, and that’s the most important thing, personally.

mashers

19 Mar 2019

guitfnky wrote:
19 Mar 2019
I’m with you. 👍🏼 the sequencer could use some of the basic quality-of-life features found in other DAWs, but on balance, it’s already right in the sweet spot for me, overall. it’s an inspiring piece of software, and that’s the most important thing, personally.
Totally agreed mate :) I just hope props are reading. For me the sequencer can wait. I’m just desperate for Combinator 2 ;)

diminished
Competition Winner

19 Mar 2019

mashers wrote:
19 Mar 2019
guitfnky wrote:
19 Mar 2019
Totally agreed mate :) I just hope props are reading. For me the sequencer can wait. I’m just desperate for Combinator 2 ;)
¿por que no los dos?
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

mashers

19 Mar 2019

diminished wrote:
19 Mar 2019
¿por que no los dos?

:p

Well both would be amazing of course, I just meant that of the two, my preference would be for a new Combinator. And if getting that sooner would mean that improvements to the sequencer would be delayed to a later update, I personally would be fine for that. The sequencer is perfectly functional for my needs, but Combinator really does desperately need an update.

An even better update would be to allow for Rack Extensions to contain other devices. That way people could build new combining units.

guitfnky

19 Mar 2019

diminished wrote:
19 Mar 2019
mashers wrote:
19 Mar 2019

¿por que no los dos?
“both” would be an acceptable answer. 😆

FLVZ

19 Mar 2019

QVprod wrote:
18 Mar 2019
Flavolous wrote:
18 Mar 2019

You misunderstand. Sweetwater is just the store I linked. It's an educational discount for students/teachers available to anyone who is a student or teacher. Other stores sell it as well.The amazon link is the same kind of volume licensing offered by pretty much all DAWs. That said, I took a midi course in college and Reason was one of the programs we had to use for that class (I was already a user by then). It's probably not as rare as it seems. When Dubspot was still a thing, Reason was part of their curriculum as well.
I think you confirmed my confirmation bias there :lol:
You're probably right!

Kategra

16 May 2019

ernstnathorst wrote:
15 Mar 2019
bxbrkrz wrote:
15 Mar 2019
"You need to... You need to... You need to..."

Ok.
I think this beautiful thread is over. Mister Baguette won the day.
That is a challenge for me. I would like to interact more with people. But when I stick my neck out some people get the urge to help me run the company. I understand that and don’t mind it at all. It’s just that I don’t know how to respond. I can say “great advice!” and maybe not be entirely truthful. I can mansplain why the idea won’t work and quickly find myself in a rabbit hole of endless discussions (and there will be facts and plans I can’t share). Or I can stay silent and seem arrogant or distant.

Neither feels that great.

So then I climb back into my cave.
All I can say on this subject of getting young people hooked on audio products is to give my example.. the decision to make Reason unavalable for pirating is what got me to do my FIRST real software purchase other than few discounted Steam games. Been pirating Reason since version 1 up untill 5. Nobody payed for software in my country - Romania. Pirating culture was the norm, paying for licenses seemed insane, excentric.
Finished highscool in 2003. Was earning peanuts between 2005 and and 2008.

In 2011 I start making decent money, but pay 375 EUR for software, for hobby?! This is insane - I was telling myself!
On 05.03.2013 I finally give in and place an order on Thomann for KH120A and Reason 6.5! Then soon after, surprise: R7 is announced - I get free update to 7!
Been buying lots of REs to fuel my hobby and payed for updates to R8, R9 and R10; also made a lot of complaints on the forums over the years, but lately, especialy after 10.3: I'm a happy Reason user!

But... would have I bought Reason if I did not experienced it for free for so many years in the begining and learn it? Definitly not.. I would have ended up investing in FL Studio and ACID Pro, because I also pirated those.
Last edited by Kategra on 16 May 2019, edited 2 times in total.

• Information