Utility Modules - 1st up MN Maths [Video] Mix, A-vert, Slew

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
kungubu

05 Nov 2018

Faastwalker wrote:
05 Nov 2018
Crumbfort wrote:
05 Nov 2018
What kind of stuff are looking looking to do with the ES-8, Faastwalker?
The main thing will be to utilise Reason's many sequencing, modulation sources to send to the modular / Eurorack gear. But it will also be useful to send CV/audio from the outside back in to Reason. I've only got a small Eurorack case (TipTop Audio Happy ending) with 80hp of space + a Kilpatrick Phenol. I'm thinking of concentrating mainly on audio sources & nice analog modules (for example) for the Happy Ending with Reason taking care of the sequencing / modulation stuff. The ES-8 is not cheap & may be a bit overkill for my requirements & small amount of space. The Phenol has a MIDI to CV converter built in. I'm having a lot of fun sending a modulation source from Reason to control stuff outside. It works really well & gives a taste of the sort of things i'll be able to do with more MIDI to CV i/o.
I tried an ES-8 for while (borrowed it from a friend) and it worked great. Mostly used it with reaktor though. Haven't decided if i really need one - it isn't cheap. If you really want to run your modular from your computer and you're into sequencing I guess its the way to go. Hardware sequencers tend to cost much more. For the time being I have found that I prefer to use my modular without a computer, or just with the clock, and then move the audio into the computer. Working with actual knobs and wires and the limitations of a small system is a nice complement working on a computer - it really forces you use what you got...

O1B

06 Nov 2018

ES-8 for Audio.. Yes. But, don't sleep.

AIRA modules (I have Scooper and Demora) are Full stereo, 96K, and a has 6 CV IN/OUT via DAW .
In truth, I did it to make sure it worked, but I dont normally acquire CV that way.

But for MIDI and Clock... and versatility... Gate, Trigger, etc...Hardware, Software, iOS,...
- the upcoming FH-2 by Expert Sleepers:

O1B

06 Nov 2018

Put the clock on 'em! .... Put the show on Speed! And, Ill chew 'em UP! ........... Chew 'em right UP!

kungubu wrote:
05 Nov 2018
I prefer to use my modular without a computer, or just with the clock, and then move the audio into the computer. Working with actual knobs and wires and the limitations of a small system is a nice complement working on a computer - it really forces you use what you got...

selig
RE Developer

06 Nov 2018

O1B wrote:
06 Nov 2018

AIRA modules (I have Scooper and ) are Full stereo, 96K, and a has 6 CV IN/OUT via DAW .
In truth, I did it to make sure it worked, but I dont normally acquire CV that way.

But for MIDI and Clock... and versatility... Gate, Trigger, etc...Hardware, Software, iOS,...
Ooooo, another choice for USB - this looks more future proof since it supports USB-C.

Hey, any idea why Roland discontinued the Aira series? I am interested in Demora, but don't want to get stuck with an unsupported product (thinking iOS support).
Also looking at Magneto by Strymon, thoughts?
Selig Audio, LLC

Crumbfort

06 Nov 2018

Magneto does look really cool. I personally don't have any experience with it as I ended up going with the 4MS Dual Looping Delay (absolutely love it):

There's a great Divkid video on it as well:

Descent: Legends of the Dark // Darkeport Productions // The LotR: ACG // Blue Zones (Netflix) // Chef's Table (Netflix)

(Composer for visual media / Adeptus Mechanicus Synthseer)

O1B

09 Nov 2018

Roland doesn't tell me anything. But, if I had to guess, the new System 500 line has their attention.
But the stand-alone nature, 96K, Great Sound, and versatility means ill get bitrazer soon enough.
btw, I have Malgorithm MK3 as my Bit and Sample Reduction Mod - fresh from Scott (much appreciated.)
out now... cleaner and quieter...

About Strymon..,,Strymon wins at Delay - even over MXR, for me.
DIG. Stellar Digital Delay. Reminds me that Bit Reduction on Delay is Good, it's Dual, and it sounds Awesome.

El Capistan. Before Magneto, it was the BEST tape delay pedal I ever heard.
I have Elec-Harmnx Canyon (really nice) , and the MXR Echoplex (tight slapback),
but the Strymons sound 'wetter' to my ears, when you want that.

now..... Koma ... voltronic... tough to get that Sound in Reason, or any pedal:

For that pure, awesome production-level tape delay sound, imo, Magneto is the best there is right now - under $1000 let's say. For tricks n things, the Rainmaker... but the bass preservation through all those effects is questionable.
... pitch, comb, step tap, and Intellijel isn't raved for their filters, afaik....

Selling my Delays to fund Magneto, but Ill keep DIG. Drums and Full Mixes love it!

If you're serious about the Modular thing, I'd consider a few Brands no matter the device/utility
- Serge RANDOM*SOURCE ... all Business.
- ADDAC ... Clean and Quiet ... 601, 802r, 803r, 207, the Heuristic Rhythm Generator..
- Cwejman ... the BEST for Production. Balance, Pan, EQ, DYN, and Shifting, and Voices *Drum/Synth
(Good Luck finding it to check for yourself)
- L-1 ... Same Quality as Cwejman, imo. I have a pair of his Quad EQs.
- Happy Nerding ... Proper 6HP devices for Audio/CV/Pan
- ARREL Audio ... a Proper Mid-side Processor in Eurorack
- Noise Engineering ... They have skill.
- WMD ... Sold on their guitar EQ, then Geiger Counter Pro, then the Mixer with multi-channel to DAW capabilities..
Those Brands have little to do with FX and tricks - (and suspend $$$), and everything to do with Fidelity.

- Mutable, Malekko, Intellijel, Make Noise can't be overlooked.
And, do get yourself a Mordax DATA.

Do it Right, Do it Once!
selig wrote:
06 Nov 2018

Hey, any idea why Roland discontinued the Aira series? I am interested in Demora, but don't want to get stuck with an unsupported product (thinking iOS support).
Also looking at Magneto by Strymon, thoughts?

Faastwalker

09 Nov 2018

O1B wrote:
06 Nov 2018

But don't they both do CV & Audio i/o? FH-2 looks very interesting. Any idea when this will be available?

kungubu

09 Nov 2018

Faastwalker wrote:
09 Nov 2018
O1B wrote:
06 Nov 2018

But don't they both do CV & Audio i/o? FH-2 looks very interesting. Any idea when this will be available?
ES-8 has 8 cv outs (expandable) and 4 audio in. To my knowledge it is the best way to get cv out of your computer to your eurorack. Works great with reaktor. If you want midi there's much cheaper solutions.

Concerning utility modules, strange no-one has mentioned Expert Sleepers Disting. It's not flashy but can perform so many different duties that at least one is a must in any smaller system. A really versatile 4hp module that can work as an osc, lfo, s&h, waveshaper, delay, quantizer, filter, envelope, sampler, etc. and it can also emulate ES-1 and ES-2 as well as convert midi to cv.

O1B

10 Nov 2018

I never saw the FH-2 pass audio.
Release is imminent.

Faastwalker wrote:
09 Nov 2018
O1B wrote:
06 Nov 2018

O1B

10 Nov 2018

strange no-one has mentioned Expert Sleepers Disting
not strange at all... there are 100s of modules. I own Disting. I wouldn't ENDORSE it (first)

Whatever you want the Disting to do, you should get a proper module to do it.
It's like the old rack devices. You use MClass to save time, but you're using Softube for Production.

I own the Disting.
It's for redundancies on a small board, to me.

But, it's a sub par Delay, Reverb, LFO/modulator, Sample Player, etc. when it comes to Production,
- and only does 1 thing at a time.

I rarely use it. I usually opt for more dedicated module. But it has it moments!, so I can't see selling it.
.just my take.
kungubu wrote:
09 Nov 2018
ES-8 has 8 cv outs (expandable) and 4 audio in. To my knowledge it is the best way to get cv out of your computer to your eurorack. Works great with reaktor. If you want midi there's much cheaper solutions.

Concerning utility modules, strange no-one has mentioned Expert Sleepers Disting. It's not flashy but can perform so many different duties that at least one is a must in any smaller system. A really versatile 4hp module that can work as an osc, lfo, s&h, waveshaper, delay, quantizer, filter, envelope, sampler, etc. and it can also emulate ES-1 and ES-2 as well as convert midi to cv.

Faastwalker

12 Nov 2018

O1B wrote:
10 Nov 2018
I never saw the FH-2 pass audio.
Release is imminent.
So it's just CV i/o? That's cool for me as my regular interface already takes care of audio i/o. It's really the CV i/o I'm interested in. It's all about getting cv in & out of Reason for me.

O1B

25 Nov 2018

Finally caught up to this...

Thanks for the heads up, Crumbfort.

Reverb Modules - in my experience - SUCK. So my go-to Reverb Guitar Pedal for Modular is Strymon Blue Sky (Love the Built in High and Low Damp. Priceless:
maybe, Big Sky....

Magneto is my "future" go-to Multi TAP, Reverb-ish Delay. Clean, and Full Frequency

4ms looks like it makes a Great Dual Delay. I will have to scoop that one up, if I can't find a Modcan.
Absolutely Love the fact that it can Send the "effect" OUT for furtherrrr treatment - like Magneto. Stellar.

Kinda need four "delays" at once...
Reverb (Blue Sky), Slapback (MXR EP103), Tap (Magneto), Dual (4ms/Modcan),..
.... for proper experiementation.

Thinking about this one ... holiday sale... Note the High and Low Cut - one for each "side" of the delay circuit.:
Crumbfort wrote:
06 Nov 2018
Magneto does look really cool. I personally don't have any experience with it as I ended up going with the 4MS Dual Looping Delay (absolutely love it):

There's a great Divkid video on it as well:

Crumbfort

26 Nov 2018

That ACL Dual Delay looks dope, dang. I agree, having those filters built in would be slick.

Anybody have experience with the 4ms VCA Matrix? I'm really interested in this one:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/4ms-company-vca-matrix

I've also been looking at the Doepfer A138m Matrix Mixer. A lot less features than the 4ms, but smaller/cheaper:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/doepfer-a-138m
Descent: Legends of the Dark // Darkeport Productions // The LotR: ACG // Blue Zones (Netflix) // Chef's Table (Netflix)

O1B

30 Dec 2018

Maths LESSON : ENVELOPES: Sharkfins, and more...

.... thanks, Walker.

... what a Module!

O1B

26 Jan 2019

Intellijel Scales.. competition for ADDAC 207

$289USD

Crumbfort

26 Jan 2019

O1B wrote:
26 Jan 2019

$289USD
That does look like a really fun, playable quantizer. I like that it's got trig IN now, too. I've been using my o_C for quantizing duties which I really like, but it could be fun to have something like this as well.

I'm thinking about building one of these, looks super fun:

VC Transitions

Introducing ADDAC306 VC Transitions

ADDAC306 is a 5 channel multi-directional CV generator.

You can think of it as a "sweet spot" controller, or a hands-on way of transiting from one state to another.

Each of the five channels has MINIMUM, SPAN and DIRECTION controls, a common CV IN and a common TRANSITION CONTROLLER slider.

MINIMUM sets the minimum channel voltage.

SPAN sets the voltage range of the channel.
It essentially sets the maximum voltage that can be output from the channel, relative to what the current channel MINIMUM is. For a given SPAN value, if the MINIMUM voltage is changed then the maximum voltage output from that channel will also change respectively.

DIRECTION sets whether the voltage transition for each channel goes from MINIMUM to maximum, or maximum to MINIMUM.

The TRANSITION CONTROLLER slider controls the transition from the minimum value (A) to the maximum value (B) or vice versa, according to the settings of each independent channel.
Moving this slider generates 5 different voltages with 5 different ranges and directions. The transition can also be operated from a CV source at the CV IN, in which case the slider position acts as an attenuator for the incoming voltage.

The maximum range of each channel can be set to either 5 or 10 volts, by 5 jumpers in the back of the module. Only positive voltages are generated at the output.

VC Transition makes for an awesome state transition controller. Plug its outputs to various CV controller parameters of your audio effects modules. Set the slider to position A, and set the minimum values for each channel. Then move the slider to position B and set the SPAN settings for each channel. Use the TRANSITION CONTROLLER slider to morph from state A to state B and backwards. Flip the DIRECTION switches to change the direction of the transition for each channel. Use the CV IN to automate the transition using LFOs, ADSRs or sequencers.

Using the CV IN you can use two ADDAC306 modules to expand your control options to 9 voltage outputs under one common slider control.

Use the VC Transitions to multiply the polyphony of a single CV sequencer by passing its outputs through the ADDAC207.

Plug the output of your ADSR envelope to the CV IN and set the channels differently to get 5 different ADSRs from one common source.

This module was developed based on an initial idea by Konstantine Fioretos.

O1B

26 Jan 2019

VC Transitions.. YES!

I contacted the Brothers at ADDAC. I want a few of those when I can afford them, but, i have no DIY skills... yet.

Crumbfort wrote:
26 Jan 2019
O1B wrote:
26 Jan 2019

$289USD
That does look like a really fun, playable quantizer. I like that it's got trig IN now, too. I've been using my o_C for quantizing duties which I really like, but it could be fun to have something like this as well.

I'm thinking about building one of these, looks super fun:

VC Transitions

Introducing ADDAC306 VC Transitions

ADDAC306 is a 5 channel multi-directional CV generator.

You can think of it as a "sweet spot" controller, or a hands-on way of transiting from one state to another.

Each of the five channels has MINIMUM, SPAN and DIRECTION controls, a common CV IN and a common TRANSITION CONTROLLER slider.

MINIMUM sets the minimum channel voltage.

SPAN sets the voltage range of the channel.
It essentially sets the maximum voltage that can be output from the channel, relative to what the current channel MINIMUM is. For a given SPAN value, if the MINIMUM voltage is changed then the maximum voltage output from that channel will also change respectively.

DIRECTION sets whether the voltage transition for each channel goes from MINIMUM to maximum, or maximum to MINIMUM.

The TRANSITION CONTROLLER slider controls the transition from the minimum value (A) to the maximum value (B) or vice versa, according to the settings of each independent channel.
Moving this slider generates 5 different voltages with 5 different ranges and directions. The transition can also be operated from a CV source at the CV IN, in which case the slider position acts as an attenuator for the incoming voltage.

The maximum range of each channel can be set to either 5 or 10 volts, by 5 jumpers in the back of the module. Only positive voltages are generated at the output.

VC Transition makes for an awesome state transition controller. Plug its outputs to various CV controller parameters of your audio effects modules. Set the slider to position A, and set the minimum values for each channel. Then move the slider to position B and set the SPAN settings for each channel. Use the TRANSITION CONTROLLER slider to morph from state A to state B and backwards. Flip the DIRECTION switches to change the direction of the transition for each channel. Use the CV IN to automate the transition using LFOs, ADSRs or sequencers.

Using the CV IN you can use two ADDAC306 modules to expand your control options to 9 voltage outputs under one common slider control.

Use the VC Transitions to multiply the polyphony of a single CV sequencer by passing its outputs through the ADDAC207.

Plug the output of your ADSR envelope to the CV IN and set the channels differently to get 5 different ADSRs from one common source.

This module was developed based on an initial idea by Konstantine Fioretos.

O1B

18 Mar 2019

TipTop Audi MISO... Very Nice...

from modgrid..

"The name comes from the the four main functions available: Mix, Invert, Scale, and Offset.

MISO’s 2 sections (1/2 IN and A/B IN) are identical. Each section has 2 inputs that can be used to Mix signals, Invert polarity/shape, Scale magnitude and Offset voltage. Each function can be used independently or simultaneously with the total shape summed to the mix output."

10 HP. 42mm Deep
$99.

Crumbfort

18 Mar 2019

Wow, yeah that new Tiptop module looks super handy. Great price, too.

O1B

18 Apr 2019

H-h-h-h-h-h-ow do you do that...? A-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-at will? Forwards, Reverse, Tempo-Sync'd, Free, Pitch Up and Down ....?

It's not enough! - but, It helps to have one of these... to start: The TINRS Wobbler.

Two (Variable) "Phase" linked Trigger - and re-Triggerable LFOs
The Phase - allows for starting within the wave - wherever you'd like... Genius.
- Proper Blinkies.

I went and ordered EdgeCutter as well for the Visual ADSR...
- It Ratchets! ..... (Just waiting on Tuesday to come back in Stock)

O1B

02 May 2019

MAKE NOISE - X Pan

5 channels of STEREO - 2 full + 1 AUX.
Full Pan and XFade Control Per channel .... 10 HP
** Direct Coupled for use as a Complex CV router **

$259
Pre-ordered! (I might could use 2 of these)

O1B

14 May 2019

Make Noise Mimeophon.

Delay. Stereo. Make Noise Thoughtfulness.

O1B

30 May 2019

Faders... SSSR Labs. Back in STOCK!!

~$40 each. Solid Price... 3HP... 23mm deep... Tiny!

From the WEBSITE:
SM800 Wobla is a single slider controller with pretty straightforward functional: it outputs control voltage proportional to position of the slider. Wobla has three different ranges of operation: linear 0…5 Volts, linear 0…10 Volts, and the special bell-shaped range giving the maximum output voltage (≈5.7V) at the center position of the slider, allowing to perform so called wobbles in a very fast and predictable manner.

" All of the controls, including sliding potentiometer are hard-mounted to the panel, ensuring that its controls will not break from intense use or accident hit like plastic threadless shafts and PCB only mounted controls. "

Wobla (a) - OUT is at the Top of the Module, and, (b):https://sssrlabs.com/store/sm800b/
ImageImage Image Image

O1B

20 Jun 2019

Wave Ring by Genki..

and... Wavefront by Genki...

Wavefront features five outputs, three CV out for movements, a trigger for taps, and a gate for clicks. It has a compact size (HP4), is skiff-friendly and offers ultra-low latency.

Shipping Soon.

O1B

07 Jul 2019

Random*Source Triple WAVE Multiplier:

The top section offers two different modes, selected by a switch. In the “HI” position, the module functions to “square-up” an incoming signal, with a rounded flattening of the signal peaks, somewhat similar to overdriving a tube amplifier (with voltage control!). In “LO” mode, the module is a linear gain controlled VCA. This is useful for various functions such as amplitude modulation and for gating signals

The middle section generates a sweep of the odd harmonics (1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 and 13th) when a sine wave is applied to its input and the FOLD knob is turned up or a control voltage is swept from low to high. This effect is similar to overblowing a wind pipe closed at one end. A second input is included to allow two signals to be mixed before processing. This module can be used to explore timbral areas beyond the range of ring modulation.

The bottom Wave Multiplier performs non-linear wavehaping known as full-wave rectification, but with sophisticated level-compensating conditioning as well. ... Sweeping the VC input over its range will produce a smooth timbral transition using the even harmonics (second, fourth, and eighth). Many other partials are present in this basic sound, however, and the sonorities are very rich and varied.

• Information