Reason 10.3 public beta is open!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
WongoTheSane

15 Mar 2019

guitfnky wrote:
15 Mar 2019
so if the logging slows things down, how are performance improvements made apparent?

not trying to get in the weeds; just genuinely curious (been wondering about it for weeks, and I’d assumed the logging thing would be turned off or handled differently, somehow). is the logging-related slowness clearly different than VST performance? (so as a user, I’d be able to see something and say, ‘oh, that’s just because of logging’.)

or is that just covered in the beta testing instructions?

I’ve only been involved in one Reason beta, and opted to leave that for others because of the logging, so forgive my ignorance...
You won't be testing performance improvements in the first phase, you'll be testing whether the code changes have introduced new bugs or not. Then when the non-logging version will be released (after the bugs discovered during the first phase have been quashed), you will be able to effectively test the performance.

Something tells me that the performance improvements are such that they will compensate for the logging sluggishness anyway, and that the logging version will perform exactly like 10.2 or even a little better. We'll see...

Edit: what Mattias said.

antic604

15 Mar 2019

MattiasHG wrote:
15 Mar 2019
No no, you misunderstand me!
Ok, thanks & sorry - perhaps I overreacted :oops: :)

I believe it was specifically mentioned at the beginning that for v10.3 we shouldn't expect any non-VST performance gains. But considering the 10.3 took much longer than you expected, it's only fair to assume that changes to the VST handling also required broader code review, refactoring and - apparently - optimisation. And that's awesome news!

I hope the prolonged v10.3 work hasn't delayed v11 that's surely being worked on in parallel?

I'm really eager to see what's that all about in Q3/Q4 this year :)

As you know I constantly complain about resolution & stuff, but actually GPU acceleration would take precedence for me personally. I often encounter situation, where 3-4 DSP bar projects start to glitch out as soon as I scroll the mixer or the rack. Bitwig for example isn't GPU-accelerated either, but that never happens there even though by design its GUI is much busier, not to mention high-res...

Anyway, good luck with the beta and looking forward to v11 :thumbs_up: :D

Oquasec

15 Mar 2019

It came out the same day as the MK11 stress test...
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

guitfnky

15 Mar 2019

MattiasHG wrote:
15 Mar 2019
guitfnky wrote:
15 Mar 2019
so if the logging slows things down, how are performance improvements made apparent?

not trying to get in the weeds; just genuinely curious (been wondering about it for weeks, and I’d assumed the logging thing would be turned off or handled differently, somehow). is the logging-related slowness clearly different than VST performance? (so as a user, I’d be able to see something and say, ‘oh, that’s just because of logging’.)

or is that just covered in the beta testing instructions?

I’ve only been involved in one Reason beta, and opted to leave that for others because of the logging, so forgive my ignorance...
It'll be covered in the instructions, but in terms of comparing: there's a switch in the preferences to exclude Reason 10.3's improvements and go back to the old audio rendering. That way you can see differences. However, the MAIN point in testing the logging version is that we're looking for things we might've broken when improving performance. Logging will help us catch asserts and bugs when using the program normally.

After a while in the beta, we'll also release non-logging versions for pure performance testing. :)
gotcha, makes perfect sense. appreciate the response, and most importantly all the hard work you and your team have put in on this! 😄
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Nickdeanx

15 Mar 2019

I asked in the other thread but I wanted to here too, is the full release really next month as the article states? So awesome if true! I’ve been waiting for this update for a couple years now and am really excited!

zumBeispiel

15 Mar 2019

Just wondering...

Will the 10.3 update have vst MIDI OUT?

The vst plugin I would like to use in Reason is Jam Origin Midi Guitar. It needs midi out.

esselfortium

15 Mar 2019

zumBeispiel wrote:
15 Mar 2019
Just wondering...

Will the 10.3 update have vst MIDI OUT?

The vst plugin I would like to use in Reason is Jam Origin Midi Guitar. It needs midi out.
No, it is purely a performance update.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

zumBeispiel

15 Mar 2019

esselfortium wrote:
15 Mar 2019

No, it is purely a performance update.

OK thank you as well.

Perhaps version 11
Last edited by zumBeispiel on 15 Mar 2019, edited 1 time in total.

Fusion

15 Mar 2019

Any word on Reason 9 users?? I assume this will fix the performance issues for us to.

I do not need any new features in reason 10 and cannot afford the upgrade and after speaking to support about the problems with reason 9 and Mac OS X have been left waiting since vsts were added

Gulale

15 Mar 2019

I just received an email from PH telling about the upcoming Reason 10.3 and I can't help but to ask. Ok, does this improvement mean that UA is fixed?
Gulale aka Bereket

Aecue

15 Mar 2019

Guys, please Check „Voltage Modular“ VST on Windows 10. Reason cant Scan this VST on my Computer (VST 2.4 64 Bit)

antic604

15 Mar 2019

Fusion wrote:
15 Mar 2019
Any word on Reason 9 users?? I assume this will fix the performance issues for us to.

I do not need any new features in reason 10 and cannot afford the upgrade and after speaking to support about the problems with reason 9 and Mac OS X have been left waiting since vsts were added
There's like 0.0001% of this happening. They need to encourage you - and other 9.5-ers - to upgrade... Sorry :(

aeox
Competition Winner

15 Mar 2019

antic604 wrote:
15 Mar 2019
Fusion wrote:
15 Mar 2019

There's like 0.0001% of this happening. They need to encourage you - and other 9.5-ers - to upgrade... Sorry :(
Still not upgrading until 11 :D

Baylo

15 Mar 2019

Fusion wrote:
15 Mar 2019

I don't think I would assume that at all. All along this has been identified as 10.3, and I don't believe there has ever been a reference to a fix for 9.x. I'd be happy to be corrected on that point, though.

And... I'm not a Mac user, but have you seen the other posts recently about changing the sRGB setting to help alleviate certain performance issues on Macs?

Mark

antic604

15 Mar 2019

Aecue wrote:
15 Mar 2019
Guys, please Check „Voltage Modular“ VST on Windows 10. Reason cant Scan this VST on my Computer (VST 2.4 64 Bit)
It's a known issue. VM devs identified that the problem is on Reason's side (it works fine in all the other DAWs), but Props - at least at the time - were not willing to change that.

Too bad, because VM seems to be really growing fast right now and left Softube or VCV in its back mirror when it comes to features and workflow, with new version coming out every 2-3 weeks any lots of 3rd party modules hitting the store on a regular basis - just check the PSP or Vult bundles! :o

scratchnsnifff

15 Mar 2019

I don’t want to start a Will this plugin work properly chain, but I have had issues with vps avenger. Will this update not overload my cpu fan? I think avenger just doesn’t work 100% properly with Macs. But idk, I just don’t want a $200 virtual paperweight :p

Congratulations to Matthias and the props team!

And something Iv noticed after reading the blog post, it really does feel like a better reason using experience as of the past few years! I like the entire concept of following user requests, it’s nice to have the most recent features that I didn’t even know I needed. And this performance boost very well should let me create music to my full potential, my computer works wonders compared to my older one, but having that extra performance really will make a difference

Thanks guys!
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

scratchnsnifff

15 Mar 2019

Fusion wrote:
15 Mar 2019

That’s rough man, as far as I remember I THINK that they said they would give the performance boost to 9.5 users. But I’m not an employee, and idk if that was ever subject to change.

I’m hoping for the 9.5 users that this performance patch gets thrown your way. Mainly because there was definitely some flaws with the initial setup
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

RobC

15 Mar 2019

Personally, I appreciate the 192 kHz support for the bit of extra that gets created in those temporarily inaudible regions, during sound design. Sometimes after HP filtering, you go down couple of (pitch) octaves, and can hear awesome things.
Other times you make a noisy hat, start going up with the pitch, get a shorter, but better sounding hat, then render that (destructive process), go back down with the pitch, and still have perfect high frequency content. In 44.1 kHz, this process results in a Lo-Fi sound by the time you're finished.
If you make a non-synced, detuned FM synth sound, it may sound great at one note, but others may become nasty. Mostly, that's when you sample. Now, you start tuning multiple notes from that sample; by the time you get one or more octaves away from that root sample, the quality damage gets more and more apparent, with yet again more Lo-Fi effect at lower sampling rates.

Just a few examples of many. And you guys have no idea how much appreciated this possibility is, even if who truly makes use of it, may be a minority.

guitfnky

15 Mar 2019

scratchnsnifff wrote:
15 Mar 2019
Fusion wrote:
15 Mar 2019

That’s rough man, as far as I remember I THINK that they said they would give the performance boost to 9.5 users. But I’m not an employee, and idk if that was ever subject to change.

I’m hoping for the 9.5 users that this performance patch gets thrown your way. Mainly because there was definitely some flaws with the initial setup
there’s a reason it’s called 10.3... ;)
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Aquila

15 Mar 2019

MattiasHG wrote:
15 Mar 2019
Aquila wrote:
15 Mar 2019
I have the perfect song to test this with. I hope I get my invite sooner rather than later.
You'll probably have to wait a little while to test that song. The first part of the beta uses a logging version which is significantly slower than the real thing to help us find bugs in the rewrite we did, also letting you turn the improvements on/off. Then later on in the beta there'll be a non-logging version where you can test performance without any limitations.
Ah keep forgetting about that part haha.

Still, I'd like to give the old girl a good revving before pulling out the garage...so to speak ;)

miscend

15 Mar 2019

Fusion wrote:
15 Mar 2019

Is Reason 9 still supported? I don't any DAW company that still supports prior releases.

Oquasec

15 Mar 2019

I have Reason 5 & 10 on my machine.
There ya go.
Producer/Programmer.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

15 Mar 2019

Yay, I was quietly hoping I would be able to dust off/use eXpanse/VK-2 with the 10.3 buffer size fix. I assume it means Reasons internal buffer size now can be set to higher than 64?
Not to get technical, but that info would be helpful if that is the setting we need to change to get REs to run with lower DSP load.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

ProfessaKaos

15 Mar 2019

Hope I get to test the beta thoroughly as I have a heap of VST plugins and a Waves Soundgrid Impact Server. The last beta I was invited at the very end of testing so I did not get much a chance to test, it was already something like the 2nd or 3rd release candidate.
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

Oquasec

15 Mar 2019

Not sure how that works but if it's just an unchangeable buffer size I would expect that to be sooner.
It's probably more than that if Reason is getting rewritten over months.
Producer/Programmer.

• Information