"Mixfood Stutter 128 Sample Fun" in the shop.

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
SoulState

15 Mar 2019

Attachments
1-Mixfood_Stutter_128_Front view.jpg
1-Mixfood_Stutter_128_Front view.jpg (150.78 KiB) Viewed 2957 times
Mixfood Stutter 128 Sample Fun.jpg
Mixfood Stutter 128 Sample Fun.jpg (64.21 KiB) Viewed 2971 times
:reason:

BananaSkins

15 Mar 2019

:thumbs_up: Downloading now (133mb) looking forward to trying it...

Jagwah

16 Mar 2019

I am in love with this dev right now, been waiting impatiently for a few days for this puppy. I love my stutter devices.

Aaaaaand it's only $9!

Will update my thoughts in this thread soon. :)

SoulState

16 Mar 2019

Jagwah wrote:
16 Mar 2019

Will update my thoughts in this thread soon. :)
Cool-cool ;)
:reason:

littlejam

16 Mar 2019

heyhey,

i already got the rhythm assistant 128
i want to get this stuuttteeerrer 128 as well
however, in another thread, a user states that patterns cannot be copied
and you have to manually set each step (being a 128)
and if changes are made then you have to go through and alter 128 steps again
very time consuming, unless i'm missing something

are there any plans to add 'copy / paste' to these devices

i am also a big fan of mixfood RE

congrats on your recent releases

mahalos,

j
littlejamaicastudios
i7 2.8ghz / 24GB ddr3 / Quadro 4000 x 2 / ProFire 610
reason 10 / reaper / acidpro /akai mpk mini / korg padkontrol / axiom 25 / radium 49
'i get by with a lot of help from my friends'

MrFigg
Competition Winner

16 Mar 2019

Hmmm...for once I'm actually going to have to read the manual.
All good.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

challism

16 Mar 2019

littlejam wrote:
16 Mar 2019
heyhey,

i already got the rhythm assistant 128

i am also a big fan of mixfood RE

congrats on your recent releases

mahalos,

j
Try putting it in a Combinator, saving the patch. You can copy/paste Combis all day long.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Jagwah

16 Mar 2019

littlejam wrote:
16 Mar 2019

As a workaround, if these are pretty light CPU wise, you could make a sixteen step pattern or stutter for instance, then duplicate the device as is, and you'd then have that pattern to slightly adjust, just need a little clever cabling to jump between the device and its altered copies.

A copy / paste option would be great if it's possible!

EDIT: Wups Challism beat me to it!

PhillipOrdonez

16 Mar 2019

I wonder how would this work with stuff that isn't spoken word?

Jagwah

17 Mar 2019

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
16 Mar 2019
You could put beats and things in it but without a transient detector it might be a bit difficult using the sample start slider to find the exact part you want, maybe a snap option but that could be very involved developing wise - like Quadelectra's Beatchop. Anyways, about to load my own samples and have a good try of it and will still reply with my thoughts here soon.

PhillipOrdonez

17 Mar 2019

Jagwah wrote:
17 Mar 2019
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
16 Mar 2019
You could put beats and things in it but without a transient detector it might be a bit difficult using the sample start slider to find the exact part you want, maybe a snap option but that could be very involved developing wise - like Quadelectra's Beatchop. Anyways, about to load my own samples and have a good try of it and will still reply with my thoughts here soon.
Just tried it for 20 minutes and bought it. It is fun to load chord loops and sequence them in the step sequencer. It works, and it is fun and cheap, so yeah, will get a lot of usage from me.

ravasb

17 Mar 2019

It would be great if there was randomization.

Jagwah

17 Mar 2019

Just not getting along with it as I'm focused on other things. The videos on the shop page are really cool and I can't really say no to a device from this dev for $9. Have at it!

challism

18 Mar 2019

Trialing this RE now. It's fun. It's priced right, as all Studio Corbach devices are (thank you for that, Corbach, we appreciate the great value you bring to the shop). This thing is so much fun, and it can easily be used to mutate whatever sample you feed it.

I agree that randomization would be great to have on this. I dont know why more developers don't follow in the Panda's footsteps and include randomization on their devices. It's obvious that we the users love that feature.

Copy/paste would also be useful. Earlier, I suggested to another user that using a combi would work, but after actually using the device I see how copy/paste would be useful.

I would like to see click and drag on this device. So you could turn on off all the step triggers or adjust all the slider positions by clicking and dragging across the device. Similarly to how Redrum's step sequencer or Matrix are able to do this.

I found a bug with this thing. I would report directly to the developer because I think it's best to report those things in private to developers so they can fix it and release a new version without the entire world knowing about it first. But I dont see him listed on ReasonTalk anymore, I dont see him as a user or as a developer. And a guy on facebook also found a bug, tried to report it, but is getting an error on the website report page, too. Weird. So is Corbach hard to get a hold of? I hope he can learn about these bugs.

Anyway, this seems to be stopping playback of the sample when decay is set to 76 or higher, as shown in the video

challism

19 Mar 2019

UPDATE to the above post. I was able to email the developer (thanks for the email address MrFigg - I probably could have found it myself, but I was too lazy) and Boudewijn responded with the following:

Thanks for your e-mail. Sorry to hear you are having problems with Stutter 128, but thanks for taking the time to report it!

The bug you found is not a bug but just a limitation of computer power!
Because the Step Sequencer plays multiple samples per second, and when the sample is longer than 1 second, the buildup of samples overlaying eachother is rapidly growing (more and more samples are playing on top of eachother). All samples have to go through the effect chain etc... This is just too much for most computers/cpu's.
Especially when the decay is set to a high number. Some users also set the Sustain greater than 0 (which you must never do when playing samples longer than 500 milliseconds).
Sustain causes the device to play the whole sample from beginning to end, so with multiple samples starting each second (around 8 per second), the CPU power rises very fast and the device stops playing.

So, it's not a bug, but our computers can't handle it.

My advise is to use Stutter as a Stutter machine, not a sample player... Just let the Step Sequencer Stutter your sample (Stutter means repetition of a very short part of your sample) and there will be no problem.
Just play the patches I packed with the device, none of them have this bug.

Kind regards,
Boudewijn Corbach
Studio Corbach

-----------------------------------------------

SEEMS TO ME, if this were the case (my computer not being fast enough), the entire song would stop playing and I would get that "computer too slow" message. My DSP meter would have also spiked up, but it doesn't. This doesn't seem like a very likely explanation for this bug, but there you have it. The dev's response to my bug report.

kitekrazy

22 Mar 2019

Who else has this? It doesn't seem like a risk for $9 but it looks time consuming to use it. I have Izotope's Stutter Edit. Are these similar?

Wobbleburger

23 Mar 2019

I went ahead and got it- it's good for chopping vocals.
In the 90s, my midi music was on the Baulder's Gate site. That was my life peak.
Reasonite since 2000. My music (and my old midi) can be found here:
https://futurewizard.org

Voyager

27 Jun 2021

Just got this re and was playing around with a bit but noticed everytime i use the formant shit knob my reason audio goes totally off and the master vu meters are loaded up and stays there. Anybody had this same issue ?

Noiserunner

28 Jun 2021

I am at work, so I can't try it now.

Maybe the note in the manual discribes the problem:
TIMESTRETCH TIPS / WARNING
The Timestretch effectis very sensitive and CPU hungry! A lot of processing power is needed for the effect to work. When using the Step Sequencer, the loaded sample(s) are played and processed on every step. That’s a lot of processing each second.

When using the Formant Shiftknob in the Timestretch effect, the sample is processed to match the setting. This can cause the device to crash and turn itself off! So when that happens, save your work or the patch and delete the device and reload it again to get it working once more. Before continuing use the ‘trial and error’ method to see what the device can and can’t handle with the Timestretch effect!!

TIP 1:Don't use Amp Envelope Sustain together with the Timestretch effect (maybe not even use it with the step sequencer)!!Take a look at your CPU level when you do! It's just too much for your computer...

Sustain causes each step in the step sequencer to play the sample at its full length, over and over again. With a short sample most computers can handle it, but when the sample is longer (let’s say more than a half second) it can be too heavy for your computer, and it will build up CPU power processing the samples over and over again

So don't use Sustain together with the step sequencer! Use sustain only when you’renot using the step sequencer or when your sample is as long as a kickdrum...If you need the sample to play longer, just turn down the Amp Envelope Decay Curve slider (called 'Dc') or turn up the Amp Envelope Hold Slider a little (called 'H')

TIP2:Only use a little Formant Shift... If you want your sample to sound different in terms of Formant you should pre-process it (in an audio-editor) and not let a Rack Extension try to do it on the fly!!
(MacBook Pro 13", some soft- and hardware)

Voyager

30 Jun 2021

Thanks for your input. So using the formant isn't a very friendly process it seems, too bad.. My cpu isn't "weak" per say, so could this issue just be a bad coding optimization ?

Dionisio

03 Jul 2021

Would be great if this nice toy could read also REX files and each sequencer step manipulate the corresponding slice. I think it will be mind blowing and great for wave sequencing stuff...

• Information