Reason 10.3 public beta is open!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
WongoTheSane

15 Mar 2019

Here is Propellerhead's blog post, it contains a link to register if you want to help with the beta:

https://www.propellerheads.com/blog/rea ... ow-in-beta

AS7RO

15 Mar 2019

About time!!!
Why are you reading this?

motuscott

15 Mar 2019

Woohoo!
Crank up the rumor machine.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

sonicbyte

15 Mar 2019

Yeaaaaaaahhhhhhh
And as a nice bonus, it improves performance if you're not using VSTs too!

aeox
Competition Winner

15 Mar 2019

Now we wait :)

reddust

15 Mar 2019

Nice to hear this finally, thanks for sharing

Aquila

15 Mar 2019

I have the perfect song to test this with. I hope I get my invite sooner rather than later.

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

15 Mar 2019

Aquila wrote:
15 Mar 2019
I have the perfect song to test this with. I hope I get my invite sooner rather than later.
You'll probably have to wait a little while to test that song. The first part of the beta uses a logging version which is significantly slower than the real thing to help us find bugs in the rewrite we did, also letting you turn the improvements on/off. Then later on in the beta there'll be a non-logging version where you can test performance without any limitations.

Jagwah

15 Mar 2019

Sounds great, hope it solves the problem and we can move on to bigger and better things :)

antic604

15 Mar 2019

So how and why does it also improve the overall, non-VST performance? I remember this wasn't an assumption or even expected (although I'm super happy about it, because I disabled VSTs in Reason altogether).

SoulState

15 Mar 2019

Good to hear! :puf_bigsmile:

I've never had any performance issues but do have a problem with Reason crashing every time I try to delete NI Kontakt from a song.
Aquila wrote:
15 Mar 2019
In my experience if you don't click the "sign up" button within 20mins of it going live - then you'll have a loooong wait I'm afraid :cry:
:reason:

Heigen5

15 Mar 2019

That bonus is a true winner as well, hells yeah!

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

15 Mar 2019

antic604 wrote:
15 Mar 2019
So how and why does it also improve the overall, non-VST performance? I remember this wasn't an assumption or even expected (although I'm super happy about it, because I disabled VSTs in Reason altogether).
Does it matter how and why? Feels like a non-issue :roll:

But, long story short: we've done some restructuring and fixes when we adapted Reason to the new audio rendering.

Resonator

15 Mar 2019

I signed up. Hopefully I’ll notice a difference with my 2011 Mac Mini i5.

Heigen5

15 Mar 2019

MattiasHG wrote:
15 Mar 2019
It doesn't matter how and why as long as everything works in bug-free. I'm drinking few beers now to celebrate your efforts to bring us a better version of Reason. Some people cry even when they should not.

antic604

15 Mar 2019

MattiasHG wrote:
15 Mar 2019
antic604 wrote:
15 Mar 2019

But, long story short: we've done some restructuring and fixes when we adapted Reason to the new audio rendering.
I'm just (positively) surprised and curious. You seem to be overly sensitive towards anything I post. I'm not making any issue of it, but you seem to be keen on doing it...

deepndark

15 Mar 2019

It's because of MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! :evil:

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

15 Mar 2019

antic604 wrote:
15 Mar 2019
MattiasHG wrote:
15 Mar 2019

I'm just (positively) surprised and curious. You seem to be overly sensitive towards anything I post. I'm not making any issue of it, but you seem to be keen on doing it...
No no, you misunderstand me! I just believe that often a discussion (not by you specifically!) ends up being about technical details that don't make a difference for what we're here for: making music. That's something I'm generally frustrated by. The gear industry has been grooming people to care about 8x oversampling, 192kHz sample rate, perfect sample rate conversion and so on without understanding it. In the end that's not what makes good music and often it's something that people can't even hear or need to care about.

If it comes off as some kind of ill-will toward you, I apologize. It's a knee-jerk reaction because I simply don't like the discussion becoming about the details instead of the outcome, I guess. :)

As I hope you know, I've got nothing against constructive criticism. Constructive criticism is the whole reason we have Reason 9.5, Reason 10, Reason 10.2 and now Reason 10.3! :geek:

deepndark

15 Mar 2019

And as I can think here now, the Props want to hold their cards of their hard, but secret ways to achive this, nothing else.

electrofux

15 Mar 2019

I guess VST Midi and (better) support for Plugins like Machine/Overbridge is not part of the update, right?

EnochLight

15 Mar 2019

PSA: for those who are testing, it would be helpful to read Mattias' blog post, and in particular, pay attention to the part where he says:
What we're defining as "bad performance" is when you start hearing audible artifacts, like clicking and popping, or experience issues that keep you from making music. In other words, we're not looking at the CPU meter in the OS, but rather we're testing where you'd have issues in a real-life music making scenario.
This is also a logging version, so your performance with this is going to be far worse while you work through finding bugs. Don't use this for productions or projects that are valuable. A good approach is to create copies of the projects you want to test and keep them in a separate beta test folder.

Have fun! :D
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

MikeMcKew

15 Mar 2019

Very exciting news! Signed up for the beta. :D

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

15 Mar 2019

electrofux wrote:
15 Mar 2019
I guess VST Midi and (better) support for Plugins like Machine/Overbridge is not part of the update, right?
Yeah, that's correct. Though if problems with Maschine/Overbridge were rooted in how we handled buffer sizes then they might work better.

guitfnky

15 Mar 2019

so if the logging slows things down, how are performance improvements made apparent?

not trying to get in the weeds; just genuinely curious (been wondering about it for weeks, and I’d assumed the logging thing would be turned off or handled differently, somehow). is the logging-related slowness clearly different than VST performance? (so as a user, I’d be able to see something and say, ‘oh, that’s just because of logging’.)

or is that just covered in the beta testing instructions?

I’ve only been involved in one Reason beta, and opted to leave that for others because of the logging, so forgive my ignorance...
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

15 Mar 2019

guitfnky wrote:
15 Mar 2019
so if the logging slows things down, how are performance improvements made apparent?

not trying to get in the weeds; just genuinely curious (been wondering about it for weeks, and I’d assumed the logging thing would be turned off or handled differently, somehow). is the logging-related slowness clearly different than VST performance? (so as a user, I’d be able to see something and say, ‘oh, that’s just because of logging’.)

or is that just covered in the beta testing instructions?

I’ve only been involved in one Reason beta, and opted to leave that for others because of the logging, so forgive my ignorance...
It'll be covered in the instructions, but in terms of comparing: there's a switch in the preferences to exclude Reason 10.3's improvements and go back to the old audio rendering. That way you can see differences. However, the MAIN point in testing the logging version is that we're looking for things we might've broken when improving performance. Logging will help us catch asserts and bugs when using the program normally.

After a while in the beta, we'll also release non-logging versions for pure performance testing. :)

• Information