(synthwave/retro) Sugar Fix

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
User avatar
raymondh
Posts: 1206
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 14 Mar 2019

Hi everyone,

A new track, mostly using Roland synths (System 8, JX-8P, D-05, JP-08) but also Antidote, Way Beyond Fairlight, Korg Mono/Poly and Polysix RE's, and Kings Of Kong.



cheers!
Win 10 64-bit | :reason: 10 | Scarlet 18i8 | M-Audio Code 61 | KRK VXT-6 | JX-8P | System-8 | D-05 | JP-08 | Sirin
www.soundcloud.com/raymondhayter

User avatar
Noplan
Posts: 650
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Cologne, Germany

Post 14 Mar 2019

I like the song and sound, but I don`t like the timing of the synth that starts at 0:08.

User avatar
raymondh
Posts: 1206
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 14 Mar 2019

Noplan wrote:
14 Mar 2019
I like the song and sound, but I don`t like the timing of the synth that starts at 0:08.
Thanks for the feedback! That sawtooth based synth has a slow attack, so I am playing the notes a bit ahead of the beat so it didn't sound sluggish. Is that what doesn't gel for you?

cheers!
Win 10 64-bit | :reason: 10 | Scarlet 18i8 | M-Audio Code 61 | KRK VXT-6 | JX-8P | System-8 | D-05 | JP-08 | Sirin
www.soundcloud.com/raymondhayter

User avatar
DrGOA®
Posts: 474
Joined: 26 Aug 2018
Location: Ruse, Bulgaria

Post 15 Mar 2019

Very good track!

FHtH
Posts: 35
Joined: 21 Jul 2016

Post 15 Mar 2019

Nuts!

User avatar
diminished
Posts: 1337
Joined: 15 Dec 2018

Post 15 Mar 2019

Noplan wrote:
14 Mar 2019
I like the song and sound, but I don`t like the timing of the synth that starts at 0:08.
I agree :mrgreen:
Image
:reason: Most recent track: The Test (feat. MrFigg) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

User avatar
Noplan
Posts: 650
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Cologne, Germany

Post 15 Mar 2019

raymondh wrote:
14 Mar 2019

That sawtooth based synth has a slow attack, so I am playing the notes a bit ahead of the beat so it didn't sound sluggish. Is that what doesn't gel for you?

cheers!
Yes. I would rather set the patch so that it has a fast attack so that you can play it on point. If it still has too much attack for you, you can weaken the attack a bit with a compressor or in the synth. But right now it sounds rushed to my ears.

User avatar
raymondh
Posts: 1206
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 15 Mar 2019

Noplan wrote:
15 Mar 2019
raymondh wrote:
14 Mar 2019

That sawtooth based synth has a slow attack, so I am playing the notes a bit ahead of the beat so it didn't sound sluggish. Is that what doesn't gel for you?

cheers!
Yes. I would rather set the patch so that it has a fast attack so that you can play it on point. If it still has too much attack for you, you can weaken the attack a bit with a compressor or in the synth. But right now it sounds rushed to my ears.
That's excellent advice - thank you!

I will update the song and report back!

cheers!
Win 10 64-bit | :reason: 10 | Scarlet 18i8 | M-Audio Code 61 | KRK VXT-6 | JX-8P | System-8 | D-05 | JP-08 | Sirin
www.soundcloud.com/raymondhayter

User avatar
raymondh
Posts: 1206
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 15 Mar 2019

Done! You were right, an improvement. Thanks again!
Win 10 64-bit | :reason: 10 | Scarlet 18i8 | M-Audio Code 61 | KRK VXT-6 | JX-8P | System-8 | D-05 | JP-08 | Sirin
www.soundcloud.com/raymondhayter

User avatar
TheGodOfRainbows
Posts: 455
Joined: 31 Mar 2015

Post 15 Mar 2019

I assume the soundcloud link is to the fixed version? Because it doesn't sound rushed to me. Nice synthwave track!!

User avatar
raymondh
Posts: 1206
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 15 Mar 2019

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
15 Mar 2019
I assume the soundcloud link is to the fixed version? Because it doesn't sound rushed to me. Nice synthwave track!!
Yep the link is the fixed version. With the Soundcloud subscription you can replace an audio file which is handy! Wish we could do that with Youtube!

Thanks very much for listening and your comment!
Win 10 64-bit | :reason: 10 | Scarlet 18i8 | M-Audio Code 61 | KRK VXT-6 | JX-8P | System-8 | D-05 | JP-08 | Sirin
www.soundcloud.com/raymondhayter

User avatar
jappe
Posts: 2218
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 16 Mar 2019

Very tasty sound!
That wonderful bass drags me in immediately.
Perfect pop!

User avatar
raymondh
Posts: 1206
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 16 Mar 2019

jappe wrote:
16 Mar 2019
Very tasty sound!
That wonderful bass drags me in immediately.
Perfect pop!
Thanks!!
The bass is from the Roland System-8 engine using their modelled Juno filter.
Win 10 64-bit | :reason: 10 | Scarlet 18i8 | M-Audio Code 61 | KRK VXT-6 | JX-8P | System-8 | D-05 | JP-08 | Sirin
www.soundcloud.com/raymondhayter

User avatar
Scoobyman II
Posts: 241
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 16 Mar 2019

I enjoyed its rich think sound.

User avatar
raymondh
Posts: 1206
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 17 Mar 2019

Scoobyman II wrote:
16 Mar 2019
I enjoyed its rich think sound.
Thanks!
Win 10 64-bit | :reason: 10 | Scarlet 18i8 | M-Audio Code 61 | KRK VXT-6 | JX-8P | System-8 | D-05 | JP-08 | Sirin
www.soundcloud.com/raymondhayter

User avatar
Noplan
Posts: 650
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Cologne, Germany

Post 17 Mar 2019

raymondh wrote:
15 Mar 2019
Done! You were right, an improvement. Thanks again!
:thumbs_up:

siriussounds
Posts: 25
Joined: 22 Mar 2019
Location: Sweden

Post 06 May 2019

Really smooth track. Then it's cool with the unsmooth sound at 1:52 that sort of jumps out and puts the whole 80's vibe in perspective.

User avatar
bitley
Posts: 1163
Joined: 03 Jul 2015
Location: sweden

Post 06 May 2019

Sounds like one of Jan Hammer's lost tracks :) Always nice to get back into the old 80s PWM landscapes. And a little Fairlight there too, adding its lovely muted stab :)

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests