Bouncing stems for mastering

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Le Boeuf

14 Mar 2019

Hi good ppl!

So i finally decided to learn this the right way.
Whenever my tracks are done i group them and send all hats to a "Hats bus" all bass' to a "bass bus" vocals to a "Vocal bus" and so on.
I typically end up with like 8 groups/bus's, this gives the mastering engineer more adjustments possiblities compared to a 1 track mixdown.

However i get confused in Reason when i want to bounce thoose busses.
I of course only mark the 8 busses i want to bounce, and the send fx but this leaves the send fx on a seperate mixdown, how can i include it directly on the "Hats bus" for example.?

Right now im "bouncing" the hard way, by manually solo'ing the bus in the main mixer and hit "Export Loop"

TheGodOfRainbows

14 Mar 2019

Le Boeuf wrote:
14 Mar 2019
Hi good ppl!

So i finally decided to learn this the right way.
Whenever my tracks are done i group them and send all hats to a "Hats bus" all bass' to a "bass bus" vocals to a "Vocal bus" and so on.
I typically end up with like 8 groups/bus's, this gives the mastering engineer more adjustments possiblities compared to a 1 track mixdown.

However i get confused in Reason when i want to bounce thoose busses.
I of course only mark the 8 busses i want to bounce, and the send fx but this leaves the send fx on a seperate mixdown, how can i include it directly on the "Hats bus" for example.?

Right now im "bouncing" the hard way, by manually solo'ing the bus in the main mixer and hit "Export Loop"
I follow a similar workflow. I personally would rather have the FX rendered to separate tracks, so it's not a problem for me. But I would think the only way to do it is the use the effects as Inserts rather than Sends, or, they way you mentioned - Export Loop.

Perhaps you could bounce tracks, then route the FX and the Hats bus together into a new bus, then bounce again?

RandyEspoda

14 Mar 2019

export loop is the easiest straight-forward way. I wouldn't bounce the same audio twice, though perhaps that's just my paranoia...

ScuzzyEye

14 Mar 2019

Le Boeuf wrote:
14 Mar 2019
Create a mix channel. Instead of returning the send to the return jacks, wire it in to the mix channel, and add that mix channel to the bus.

This can mess up Reason's plug-in delay compensation, because channels can go to sends, thus creating a loop. Also it's a really good idea to turn the send level to -∞, on that return channel, so just in case you do turn that send on, you don't create a feedback loop of audio.

• Information