New JP RE in shop: Psyclone Dual Rotary Speaker

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

14 Mar 2019

MrFigg wrote:
14 Mar 2019
For what it’s worth I just tried it and it’s a million times better that Rotor. Really nice.
Thanks, I'll use that in the marketing!
MrFigg wrote:
14 Mar 2019
I will however be sticking with my Selig Leslie Refill. Works for me.
Might not use that bit, though! :lol:

I'd argue Pscylone is a lot more versatile, and because it's not a Combinator (and this goes for my own Malstrom-based "Advanced Rotary" combis from 2006! Happy days!) you can use it far more effectively in a live scenario combined with a keyboard-played instrument.

So as with our ComboB3T organ, the entire thing just loads way faster, and you have quick access to presets, as well as easy-to-see access to all the controls in order to tweak it. Now, don't get me wrong, selig did good work on his old Combi with Thor with the tools he had available in Reason 4, but crucially, he very specifically set it up for a B3 rotary emulation. Personally, and the same with Rotor, I felt it never sat right with pianos and transistor organ types (actually I thought selig's was good on guitars, though, which Rotor also stinks at). However, there's more to rotary speakers than just the default 122/145 style setup his Combi provided. If you're happy with the limitations of an old and hard-to-edit Combinator, that's a decision you're welcome to make, and if anyone has bought Rotor and found they disliked it, I can totally understand being reluctant to buy another. But honestly, if you love rotarys, and certainly for those who have any of our transistor Combo organs, I think you'll be missing out on the advantages of a native RE that easily do the things Rotor ignored, and things that aren't easily achievable with anyone's old Combinators.
Last edited by JiggeryPokery on 14 Mar 2019, edited 1 time in total.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

14 Mar 2019

JiggeryPokery wrote:
14 Mar 2019
MrFigg wrote:
14 Mar 2019
For what it’s worth I just tried it and it’s a million times better that Rotor. Really nice.
Thanks, I'll use that in the marketing!
MrFigg wrote:
14 Mar 2019
I will however be sticking with my Selig Leslie Refill. Works for me.
Might not use that bit, though! :lol:

I'd argue Pscylone is a lot more versatile, and because it's not a Combinator (and this goes for my own Malstrom-based "Advanced Rotary" combis from 2006! Happy days!) you can use it far more effectively in a live scenario combined with a keyboard-played instrument.

So as with our ComboB3T organ, the entire thing just loads way faster, and you have quick access to presets, as well as easy-to-see access to all the controls in order to tweak it. Now, don't get me wrong, selig did good work on his old Combi with Thor with the tools he had available in Reason 4, but crucially, he very specifically set it up for a B3 rotary emulation. Personally, and the same with Rotor, I felt it never sat right with pianos and transistor organ types (actually I thought selig's was good on guitars, though, which Rotor also stinks at). However, there's more to rotary speakers than just the default 122/145 style setup his Combi provided. If you're happy with the limitations of an old and hard-to-edit Combinator, that's a decision you're welcome to make, and if anyone has bought Rotor and found they disliked it, I can totally understand being reluctant to buy another. But honestly, if you love rotarys, and certainly for those who have any of our transistor Combo organs, I think you'll be missing out on the advantages of a native RE that easily do the things Rotor ignored, and things that aren't easily achievable with anyone's old Combinators.

Oh no!!! Please understand me correctly JP (and I think you do). I think Psyclone is fantastic. Really I do. I sat a while with the refill and the RE side by side and was thinking how amazing the tone is in Psyclone. And so versatile. I am using my rotaries in guitar and, as you said, Selig’s works really nicely. If I didn’t already have the refill I would have bought Psyclone directly (you can use that for marketing). And well...you and I both know I’m going to buy Psyclone anyway ha ha . Again...great RE.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

14 Mar 2019

MrFigg wrote:
14 Mar 2019
Oh no!!! Please understand me correctly JP (and I think you do). I think Psyclone is fantastic. Really I do. I sat a while with the refill and the RE side by side and was thinking how amazing the tone is in Psyclone. And so versatile. I am using my rotaries in guitar and, as you said, Selig’s works really nicely. If I didn’t already have the refill I would have bought Psyclone directly (you can use that for marketing). And well...you and I both know I’m going to buy Psyclone anyway ha ha :). Again...great RE.
Heh, that's cool! I did miss out a cheeky smiley above ;)

The other major difference of course - and this is one of the particular things that still baffles and annoys me about Rotor (to be fair, I'm not sure any of us were able to do this back in the day in Combis: both mine and selig's Combis had this mapped to a button iirc), and that's the Brake operation.

For some reason Props opted to also put Brake on a separate button, where they, by dint of not being a Combinator, didn't actually need to. It's just really nice now switching fast-slow and then occasionally flicking to brake from the single control.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

14 Mar 2019

Disregard what I said before.
Psyclone is bought and in full effect. Awesome.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

14 Mar 2019

MrFigg wrote:
14 Mar 2019
Disregard what I said before.
Psyclone is bought and in full effect. Awesome.
Thanks ;)

MrFigg
Competition Winner

23 Mar 2019

Just thought I’d pop in on this thread again and say how much I’m enjoying this RE. Really nice effect. Very glad I got it :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information