semi modular chat /options

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
kinkujin

27 Feb 2019

Hi folks. I've been reading and drooling over the Eurorack post on this forum. As much as I'd love to go that direction as another hobby, I just cannot spend that much. Kids and college, etc.
So ... i have a few pieces of gear that I have yet to connect in a semi modular way. Help would be appreciated. Here's what I have :
1) Doepfer Dark Energy
2) Doepfer Dark Time
3) Arturia Micro Brute
4) Arturia MiniBrute
5) Various Volcas

I'd like to get this setup rolling (work has been keeping me away from the studio alot but am finally freeing up some time). I have zero clue what to do here. It seems that I have enough to have some fun here however, it also seems that I'm lacking much patching capability. Not buying today, but wondering if expandablity-wise a Behringer Neutron or the new MiniBrute rack would be a good way to expand my current possibilities.

It also seems (and this is what sort of also held me back here) that semi-mod is a gateway to full modular. Would getting more patch points satisfy or would it just make me long for even more patch points? hehe I know that's a tough question to answer.

Discuss ... and thanks!
-kinkujin

kinkujin

04 Mar 2019

Guess everyone is either software based, or all full modular. :lol:

Crumbfort

05 Mar 2019

Hehe, it's DEFINITELY a gateway to full modular.

I could see building a little skiff with utilities/mixers/all kinds of good stuff/etc sprinkled throughout to go with this. The expert sleepers modules are also great. If you haven't already I highly suggest messing with VCV rack. Paying $20 for the Audible Instruments Preview (newer Mutable modules) is just plain awesome. Then you could start geeking out on modulargrid and seeing if you want to jump into the eurorack world.
Descent: Legends of the Dark // Darkeport Productions // The LotR: ACG // Blue Zones (Netflix) // Chef's Table (Netflix)

(Composer for visual media / Adeptus Mechanicus Synthseer)

Faastwalker

07 Mar 2019

I was asking the same question a couple of years ago. I ended up getting a Kilpatrick Phenol. It's an all in one full modular synth. That was a good starting point. It uses banana jacks, so not as eurorack compatible as some other systems. But it integrates with Eurorack very well with Banana to mini-jack cables. I also bought a cheap, passive banana to mini-jack module to give me more routing options. It's starting to get really interesting with just a few modules added into a Tip Top Audio Happy Ending kit. I'm hooked, which is dangerous. Once you start down the modular path .......... forever dominate your destiny it will!! :-/

kinkujin

07 Mar 2019

Thanks guys. Tough questions to answer I guess, really more opening the discussion.

Fasstwalker - i've looked online at the Phenol but price sort of kept me away as I'd already gone down the Doepfer path. It looks phenomenal. How is the build?

So Crumbfort - it seems that the challenge for me will be the integration with my other stuff. If I enjoy this (yeah, if) you are suggesting a 'little skiff' of a Eurorack to integrate with my current gear?

This is just so exciting. I'll need to go slow. I thought that I'd be stuck with what I have but if I can integrate it further on as money allows, I'm golden. Ok, so last night I FINALLY got my Doepfer DEnergy and Dark Time going together - somewhat. What a blast. Doepfer sound fab to my ears. And I love the sequencer. Never had a hardware sequencer. I'm hooked.

Thank you guys for your thoughts. Keep them coming ...

kinkujin

07 Mar 2019

Ok so, here's another path question. I somehow got my Volca keys to tempo sync to the Dark Time sequencer. However, I wasn't able to get the Volca to play the Dark Time's sequence. Any clues?

kinkujin

13 Mar 2019

Just for completion's sake, I'm updating this thread. Finally got my Moog on order - Mother 32 (used of course) on it's way. I'm beyond stoked.

• Information