Replace F8 window with keyboard shortcuts

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
The Prezenz

11 Mar 2019

The F8 window is soo old and def needs to be replaced with shortcuts.

What do you guys think?

esselfortium

11 Mar 2019

I would love to be able to more easily access the F8 features I use regularly. Being able to assign keyboard shortcuts, customize moreso what specifically appears in the palette, and have it pop out as a drawer like the browser does would be A+.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

gullum

11 Mar 2019

esselfortium wrote:
11 Mar 2019
I would love to be able to more easily access the F8 features I use regularly. Being able to assign keyboard shortcuts, customize moreso what specifically appears in the palette, and have it pop out as a drawer like the browser does would be A+.
Have it instead of the tutorial tab/panel would be perfect. That tutorial thing is just stupid

guitfnky

11 Mar 2019

how could you create keyboard shortcuts for these when most of the options require you to set certain parameters? I’m always using the tools in F8, and need to be able to access all of those settings. I definitely wouldn’t want those options buried somewhere else under some other menu.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

The Prezenz

12 Mar 2019

guitfnky wrote:
11 Mar 2019
how could you create keyboard shortcuts for these when most of the options require you to set certain parameters? I’m always using the tools in F8, and need to be able to access all of those settings. I definitely wouldn’t want those options buried somewhere else under some other menu.
For example when you select certain notes and want to transpose them an octave you have to use the F8 window. In fl studio you only have to press shift + up/down.

For the explode function you can also make a kb shortcut for it.

There are indeed some functions that can't be replaced with kb shortcuts but go check the keyboard short cuts in Fl for example. They have a ton. It's incredible!

guitfnky

12 Mar 2019

The Prezenz wrote:
12 Mar 2019
guitfnky wrote:
11 Mar 2019
For example when you select certain notes and want to transpose them an octave you have to use the F8 window. In fl studio you only have to press shift + up/down.

For the explode function you can also make a kb shortcut for it.

There are indeed some functions that can't be replaced with kb shortcuts but go check the keyboard short cuts in Fl for example. They have a ton. It's incredible!
having to learn ~30 new keyboard shortcuts that replace the F8 options seems like a terrible idea to me. if they left F8 alone and gave you some extra shortcuts anyway though, that would be cool.

as for octave switching, yes, I’d like a shortcut for that, but I still need the options readily available.

diminished
Competition Winner

12 Mar 2019

guitfnky wrote:
12 Mar 2019

having to learn ~30 new keyboard shortcuts that replace the F8 options seems like a terrible idea to me. if they left F8 alone and gave you some extra shortcuts anyway though, that would be cool.

as for octave switching, yes, I’d like a shortcut for that, but I still need the options readily available.
Exactly. An UI overhaul for less scrolling through and minimizing of the subcategories and better integration, sure, but no replacement please. F8 is one of the most powerful things in Reason - having all of your MIDI operations accessible in one place is awesome.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

Ahornberg

12 Mar 2019

For transposing 1 octave you don't need the F8 Window:

The Prezenz

12 Mar 2019

Ahornberg wrote:
12 Mar 2019
For transposing 1 octave you don't need the F8 Window:

Come on man. A kb shortcut is faster than this.

I recommand you guys have a look at the first 15 min of on the tutorials from Cashapp. This guy is so fast, all thanks to kb shortcuts.

The Prezenz

12 Mar 2019

guitfnky wrote:
12 Mar 2019

I must admit I haven't thought about this, good point. Removing the F8 window might be too drastic for some users.

But I sure don't have a problem to learn 30 kb short cuts. After messing around with Fl studio and learning its kb shortcuts, dayum! I wish reason had that!
Last edited by The Prezenz on 12 Mar 2019, edited 1 time in total.

guitfnky

12 Mar 2019

yep, more shortcuts would be welcome. just let me keep my F8 options! 😅 best of both worlds!

boingy

12 Mar 2019

The F8 window is like the outcast of the family. Everything else is nicely integrated into the UI and then this ugly, undockable floating window turns up and sticks its tongue out at you. It doesn't even scroll..

The Prezenz

12 Mar 2019

boingy wrote:
12 Mar 2019
The F8 window is like the outcast of the family. Everything else is nicely integrated into the UI and then this ugly, undockable floating window turns up and sticks its tongue out at you. It doesn't even scroll..
:lol:

Ahornberg

12 Mar 2019

boingy wrote:
12 Mar 2019
Yes, it could be placed instead of the rather useless Tutorial window on the right side (including a scroll bar).

Creativemind

12 Mar 2019

guitfnky wrote:
12 Mar 2019
yep, more shortcuts would be welcome. just let me keep my F8 options! 😅 best of both worlds!
:thumbs_up:
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Kilsane

17 Mar 2019

I am rather to preserve F8, but to have in addition certain function of F8 directly accessible in the zone to mark in green on my screenshot
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (441.39 KiB) Viewed 1147 times

• Information